Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,754 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? (13355 Views)

Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? / What Happens When A Believer "Dies In Sin"? A Biblical Exposition Of What Sin Is / Oyedepo: A Believer Behaving Like Mumu In Place Of Authority, This Is Evil Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by nairalee(m): 9:54am On Jun 13, 2021
Ji just dey vex for this Kain yeye question

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Johnjanrt: 9:55am On Jun 13, 2021
Stupid and silly question. Truth knower. The docility with which your religion comes is so much that we haven't gotten anywhere near where we ought to be. Don't know the thing with Christians always their religion with Islam. Brainwashed folks everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Mftivi: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
What sort of thread and topic is this ?

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by KhalidSan(m): 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
They've started again....
Wetin concern religion with Taking the nation Forward, na this kind tin dey make Naija Jaga Jaga

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by sigiyaya112: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Because it does not reflect the person of Christ. To believe in Jesus means to accept the life of Jesus and live that way. Do you think Jesus might join or support protests against the government? Do you think Jesus might be bothered by who rules the nation?

Also, as clearly show in Galatians 5:20, protest and other things of such against a lawful authority is a work of the flesh. A person in Christ mustn’t be entangled with such. If your reality has changed, then your reaction to things must change.
You are a complete Idiot!!

3 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Ayo2004: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
Religion has been turned to a tool for selfish interests, greed and manipulation

I advise any sensible believer to quit
modern day Christianity,worship his God,do good unto others and use his head instead of thinking like a zombie
What is wrong in a normal human being protesting for his rights?
When the CAMA bill was passed in regards to the church,almost all the religious leaders were ready to March to Aso Rock

4 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Iamnotfearyou: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:
This question has been on my mind lately, I watch how things happen so fast and wonder if these things are actually in accordance with the person of Christ and what the Bible says.

It’s mind bugging that Nigeria is a very religious society but our practices outside these religious temples are quite the opposite what the books say. I can understand if a Muslims does certain things as they are not aware of the truth but it’s very baffling when those who claim to be follow Christ act certain ways.

Our mission as believers is to live out the person of Christ, take action as he would. We have to Bible for us to learn about his person, and the Holy Spirit to teach us his character so we do not deviate. Sadly enough, the person of Jesus is absent in our society. Our society realistically reflects the person of Satan.

This question should never even come to life but it has to because people are more easily influenced by others than focus on biblical information.

Jesus shows us an exceptional character we must put up in the face of oppression. In fact, the apostles being led by the Holy Spirit continued this character by being obedient till death. The Bible has many apostles telling us that we must obey the government and explained that we must do so in reverence to God so that we might silent noise makers.

Sadly people do not care about Jesus whenever it’s time to lash out at the president or anyone in office, or engage in protest against lawful authority as contrary to biblical instructions. In fact, many religious leaders are in the habit of inciting the people against the government as a show of their spiritual identity. These things are all works of flesh according to Galatians 5:20.

Protest whether lawful or unlawful are a demonstration against lawful authority and it doesn’t in anyway represent Christ in us. While we may not endorse the behavior of people in office, it’s important that we see them as playing their part to help us actualize our destiny in Christ. Protest is a satanic nature and it should not be a part of a person who claims to follow Christ.

Written by: David A.O., author of the science of God and Life
www.davidaobooks.com
You got it completely twisted, because the coming of CHRIST itself was a protest against the un-GODLY ways humans live

2 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Buskid1: 9:57am On Jun 13, 2021
Ur posts portrays ur opinion not that of the Christaindom pls

3 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by dchem(m): 9:57am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:
This question has been on my mind lately, I watch how things happen so fast and wonder if these things are actually in accordance with the person of Christ and what the Bible says.

It’s mind bugging that Nigeria is a very religious society but our practices outside these religious temples are quite the opposite what the books say. I can understand if a Muslims does certain things as they are not aware of the truth but it’s very baffling when those who claim to be follow Christ act certain ways.

Our mission as believers is to live out the person of Christ, take action as he would. We have to Bible for us to learn about his person, and the Holy Spirit to teach us his character so we do not deviate. Sadly enough, the person of Jesus is absent in our society. Our society realistically reflects the person of Satan.

This question should never even come to life but it has to because people are more easily influenced by others than focus on biblical information.

Jesus shows us an exceptional character we must put up in the face of oppression. In fact, the apostles being led by the Holy Spirit continued this character by being obedient till death. The Bible has many apostles telling us that we must obey the government and explained that we must do so in reverence to God so that we might silent noise makers.

Sadly people do not care about Jesus whenever it’s time to lash out at the president or anyone in office, or engage in protest against lawful authority as contrary to biblical instructions. In fact, many religious leaders are in the habit of inciting the people against the government as a show of their spiritual identity. These things are all works of flesh according to Galatians 5:20.

Protest whether lawful or unlawful are a demonstration against lawful authority and it doesn’t in anyway represent Christ in us. While we may not endorse the behavior of people in office, it’s important that we see them as playing their part to help us actualize our destiny in Christ. Protest is a satanic nature and it should not be a part of a person who claims to follow Christ.

www.davidaobooks.com

Was Jesus wrong to have protested the sales of goods in the temple a practice the leaders of the temple approve of? Your answer to this will let me give you a response.

5 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Ramon92: 9:58am On Jun 13, 2021
This post confirms that religion is man made to keep the majority docile and controllable..

2 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by emiika: 9:58am On Jun 13, 2021
Should a believer get a job from government

4 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by samwillyco1(m): 10:01am On Jun 13, 2021
See brain washed mugu grin grin grin grin

Is the harsh economic situation of this country affecting you? If the answer is YES then LEAD the protest but if the answer is NO then don't JOIN the PROTEST

Finally, everything has a Limit, too much of everything is BAD.

Don't be too RELIGIOUS to the extent that you cannot reason with your BRAIN but always following the instructions of your church leaders who don't even reason well atimes grin grin grin cheesy

I rest my case grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Philadelphia: 10:02am On Jun 13, 2021
Op, your denomination falls under Protestantism. Jesus was a Protestant. He protested against the false teachings of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

That’s why he was hated and killed. The protest was against evil. So, that’s also rebuking sin and that’s what Jesus encouraged us to do.

What will you call His actions at the Temple where there were money changers?

Protesting for the cause of truth and righteousness is never a sin.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by LightUpWithKemi: 10:02am On Jun 13, 2021
Oga, don't let religion becloud you from knowing what's right.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 13, 2021
Religion and stupidity.
This same believer wants to go to USA and enjoy life. Myopic sets

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by rayralph(m): 10:03am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

It’s mind bugging that Nigeria is a very religious society but our practices outside these religious temples are quite the opposite what the books say. [s]I can understand if a Muslims does certain things as they are not aware of the truth[/s] but it’s very baffling when those who claim to be follow Christ act certain ways.

This is totally unnecessary.

You can “stress out” your opinion without attacking any religion.

Gift of the spirit - Tolerance and long suffering.

I’ll advise your remove it from your write up.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Dazydear: 10:04am On Jun 13, 2021
Why won't you come out to protest, is the government not governing both the christians and non-christians even the bible said suffer not the witch to live, My dear protest doesn't mean killing, it means speaking up your mind and this has nothing to do with religion, please don't confuse yourself....�

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by brian91(m): 10:05am On Jun 13, 2021
So the likes of adeboye who protested during Jonathan subsidy removal are observing the Satan's Nature, right??

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Gambit23: 10:05am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

www.davidaobooks.com

The bible is an unrealistic novel.

Face the real world.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Beverlyjean(f): 10:06am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Because it does not reflect the person of Christ. To believe in Jesus means to accept the life of Jesus and live that way. Do you think Jesus might join or support protests against the government? Do you think Jesus might be bothered by who rules the nation?

Also, as clearly show in Galatians 5:20, protest and other things of such against a lawful authority is a work of the flesh. A person in Christ mustn’t be entangled with such. If your reality has changed, then your reaction to things must change.

So u think what happened in Egypt was not a protest against pharaoh.... go back to sleep , u know nothing about the bible

4 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Paliowei: 10:10am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

www.davidaobooks.com

Make all of una just getout

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Regex: 10:11am On Jun 13, 2021
Are we bringing in religion into our right to have better governance?

Is this what we have degenerated into?

OK we wait till our pastors whom will never caution these politicians because of what they stand to gain to tell us to protest and demand for our right. You know, thus says the lord.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Amoamare: 10:13am On Jun 13, 2021
Naah a believer should always support the government , whether evil or good. Height of skewed indoctrination.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Awoleesu(m): 10:13am On Jun 13, 2021
Not sure my response is an answer ( or appropriately so) since your write up appeared to me to be a summary of your opinion than it is a question.

Now, why do you think a "believer" should not participate in acts of protest?
First , I think you are rather versed in the Bible than you are of Church history. Do you know how a Christian denomination came about being branded 'Protestant'? - I'll have you do your research on that...

So, to take you on the notion that protestations are "satanic", let me simply ask what alternative you would have proffered in the face of an incidence of bad leadership?
For the avoidance of doubt, do you think Mr. Buhari is providing leadership in Nigeria? A man who derives pleasure in pitching one ethnic group against another. Who applies different strokes to similar offenders, and who arrogantly asserts he has no regrets setting the nation on fire! Do you think that's good leadership?

A Christian venting his displeasure is no sin! In fact, such actions against an ire as backbiting, slandering, malice etc are expressly counted as sin by biblical standard.
Living the life that imprints the footsteps of Christ is the objective of Christians, fine! But did Jesus not 'protest' the defiling of the temple by flogging those whom He termed ", promoters of the den of thieves..." out of the temple?

Let's face it! I hate to try to fudge what's religious or spiritual into what's purely civil matter! We must learn to understand that while we aren't of this world, yet we are in the world! If you think it unchristian to protest against bad leadership and an unjust/biased system, then you have the option of moving your allegiance to a religious state - say Vatican where you can be subject to purely ecclesiastical laws, otherwise wait till the adverse effects of poor leadership hit you hard in the face!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by kprez(m): 10:14am On Jun 13, 2021
No need to protest, just stay at home until fulani reach ur side and kill u, then u will know

3 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Microfels: 10:15am On Jun 13, 2021
You know little of the scriptures, not only is it right for a Christian to join a lawful protest, it is just. The old testament is full of prophets and people who spoke out against the injustice of rulers and even mobilized the people against them. From Moses to Elijah to Elisha to Jonah to Nathan and even John the Baptist. Jesus Christ withstood the Pharisees continually and the apostles were jailed severally for acts of civic and spiritual disobedience. The origin of the church itself is a defiance of the dictates of perverse authority.

You are either a paid agent of the government camouflaging with the bible or you are truly ignorant.

'The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in a period of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.' - Dante.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by just2endowed: 10:18am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Who was John the Baptist
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

www.davidaobooks.com

This is a misrepresentation of Christianity. I am a Christian does not mean I will allow you to trample on my rights. Don't you know even your prayer is a legal protest and a contention? The disciples did nothing til James was beheaded and Peter was next in line to be killed . They disciples had to protest in prayer against the king. Moses different encounter with king Pharaoh; "Let my people go", was a pure protest. Let my people go was a slogan, trending in their days. The government will not give you things because you deserve it, you rather demand for it.
There are different kind of people in the history of the world;
1. Those who make things happen
2. Those who watch things happen
3. Those are not aware that things are happening
4. Those who don't give a damn of what is happening.

Choose wisely, if this nation Nigeria is left in your hand, will this nation and Chirstianity still remain?
Will you rather do nothing and watch things burn?
I know you are a JW , got a different bible and doesn't care about politics.
But one thing you can never deny is that politics control everything in our world; with it you can be locked down and your churches shut down, increase of food prices....everything you can think of

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Quality20(m): 10:21am On Jun 13, 2021
we as muslims and believers have long been advised against coming out to protest or confront authorities ,simply because the evil in coming out is far more than any perceived benefits. Take a look at libya n syria, are they not worst off, even after many thousands died in those protests?
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Simeonjoe1: 10:21am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

www.davidaobooks.com

Are you just waking up. Something Jehovah's witnesses has been doing since. They never participate in protest or support any man's government( favorable or unfavorable) even at the cost of their life. They remain focus on God's kingdom as the only solution to mankinds problem, following Jesus Christ step closely. Hence remaining politically neutral. Look at the Nazi Germany, we never supported them even thousands of witnesses died because of that neither do we support the opposing sides. WE ARE NO PART OF THE WORLD John 17:14,16
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:22am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Like I said you have to make the clarification that the Jesus you’re serving isn’t the same Jesus in the Bible before I accept your disposition. You also have to clarify that the apostles have a different gospel from the one you preach or that’s being preached to you.

Until you do that, I’ll take it that you’re being disobedient to the word and also making yourself over situations of life. Where did you see any of the apostles protesting bad government or their killings in the Bible?

By the way nothing is happening to Christianity, it’s just your reality that’s making it look like it’s affecting it. Even so, what good has Christianity done to the every day man that makes its abolishing bad for us? Virtually nothing, and it has impoverished more people by aggregating their wealth to a few.
Christian pastors and politicians are in bed together so I do not see anyway that Christianity will be abolished. The hormonal rush you have thinking that Christianity will someday be abolished is a false alarm created by the messages you’ve been receiving.

Be like Christ brother. Obey till death and let God right for you. Bible never said complain what someone does evil. Bible said talk when someone commits sin. Two different things, you’ve only manipulated it again.

Lastly, I do not think I have to agree with you, I can only agree with the Holy Spirit which of course is not you is it?

Can you explain the bolded? Cause it seems to me that you have a bone to pick with Christianity.

That said, protest is allowed in a democracy. Democracy is government of the people by the people. In the days of Christ, democracy did not exist but, even at that, Jesus already admonished us that His kingdom is not of this world. So there is no place Jesus spoke against protesting bad governance. As a matter of fact, in Luke 18, in the parable of the persistent widow, what the woman did could be said to be a form of protest in that she kept on complaining till the unrighteous judge (government) decided to do the right thing. So it's very wrong for you to claim that Jesus or the apostles spoke against protests. That's a lie

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Christians/Muslims Get Offended By Atheists / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? / The Science Behind Grace / Luck - [mentalists Only]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.