Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,274 members, 7,807,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? (13360 Views)

Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? / What Happens When A Believer "Dies In Sin"? A Biblical Exposition Of What Sin Is / Oyedepo: A Believer Behaving Like Mumu In Place Of Authority, This Is Evil Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by mrkings84(m): 10:25am On Jun 13, 2021
- Is a believer a human being?
- Is a believer a citizen
- Does a believer have rights as a cittand as a human?
Etc, etc..

If yes, YES!!

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Streetpresident: 10:28am On Jun 13, 2021
Is the believer not affected by Government policies. Do they live in isolation?

Where Buhari decided to establish his ruga on your inherited properties and his kinsmen are raping your girls and maiming your son's while malami defend their atrocities.....if you see me carrying placards to protest against Buhari.... don't protest you hear.

Christianity is not a licence to cowardice or foolishness....

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:30am On Jun 13, 2021
rayralph:

This is totally unnecessary.

You can “stress out” your opinion without attacking any religion.

Gift of the spirit - Tolerance and long suffering.

I’ll advise your remove it from your write up.

Cheers.

Dude is not really a Christian. He's a zombie. They sow discord everywhere

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Because it does not reflect the person of Christ. To believe in Jesus means to accept the life of Jesus and live that way. Do you think Jesus might join or support protests against the government? Do you think Jesus might be bothered by who rules the nation?

Also, as clearly show in Galatians 5:20, protest and other things of such against a lawful authority is a work of the flesh. A person in Christ mustn’t be entangled with such. If your reality has changed, then your reaction to things must change.
Brother, Galatians 5:20 may have been written upside down in your own Bible. Stop using the Bible to back up your twisted argument.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Dmec(m): 10:32am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:
This question has been on my mind lately, I watch how things happen so fast and wonder if these things are actually in accordance with the person of Christ and what the Bible says.

It’s mind bugging that Nigeria is a very religious society but our practices outside these religious temples are quite the opposite what the books say. I can understand if a Muslims does certain things as they are not aware of the truth but it’s very baffling when those who claim to be follow Christ act certain ways.

Our mission as believers is to live out the person of Christ, take action as he would. We have to Bible for us to learn about his person, and the Holy Spirit to teach us his character so we do not deviate. Sadly enough, the person of Jesus is absent in our society. Our society realistically reflects the person of Satan.

This question should never even come to life but it has to because people are more easily influenced by others than focus on biblical information.

Jesus shows us an exceptional character we must put up in the face of oppression. In fact, the apostles being led by the Holy Spirit continued this character by being obedient till death. The Bible has many apostles telling us that we must obey the government and explained that we must do so in reverence to God so that we might silent noise makers.

Sadly people do not care about Jesus whenever it’s time to lash out at the president or anyone in office, or engage in protest against lawful authority as contrary to biblical instructions. In fact, many religious leaders are in the habit of inciting the people against the government as a show of their spiritual identity. These things are all works of flesh according to Galatians 5:20.

Protest whether lawful or unlawful are a demonstration against lawful authority and it doesn’t in anyway represent Christ in us. While we may not endorse the behavior of people in office, it’s important that we see them as playing their part to help us actualize our destiny in Christ. Protest is a satanic nature and it should not be a part of a person who claims to follow Christ.

Written by: David A.O., author of the science of God and Life
www.davidaobooks.com
Even Jesus did a protest in Matthew 21:12

Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by mizdams(f): 10:33am On Jun 13, 2021
Quick question, when Jesus was flogging the traders trading in front of the synagogue, what was He doing? He was leading a protest.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Kaybenny(m): 10:36am On Jun 13, 2021
Christians likes to suffer, why?

So now to protest is a sin.

Naija and religious extremism eh!¡

angry
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Cauhlins(m): 10:39am On Jun 13, 2021
People who ride on the back of corruption and election rigging cannot be considered lawful authority and as such, shouldn't be treated as one. Until we meet a government that is "Lawful", we would continue to speak/protest against any injustice.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Dagrace01(m): 10:41am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:
This question has been on my mind lately, I watch how things happen so fast and wonder if these things are actually in accordance with the person of Christ and what the Bible says.

It’s mind bugging that Nigeria is a very religious society but our practices outside these religious temples are quite the opposite what the books say. I can understand if a Muslims does certain things as they are not aware of the truth but it’s very baffling when those who claim to be follow Christ act certain ways.

Our mission as believers is to live out the person of Christ, take action as he would. We have to Bible for us to learn about his person, and the Holy Spirit to teach us his character so we do not deviate. Sadly enough, the person of Jesus is absent in our society. Our society realistically reflects the person of Satan.

This question should never even come to life but it has to because people are more easily influenced by others than focus on biblical information.

Jesus shows us an exceptional character we must put up in the face of oppression. In fact, the apostles being led by the Holy Spirit continued this character by being obedient till death. The Bible has many apostles telling us that we must obey the government and explained that we must do so in reverence to God so that we might silent noise makers.

Sadly people do not care about Jesus whenever it’s time to lash out at the president or anyone in office, or engage in protest against lawful authority as contrary to biblical instructions. In fact, many religious leaders are in the habit of inciting the people against the government as a show of their spiritual identity. These things are all works of flesh according to Galatians 5:20.

Protest whether lawful or unlawful are a demonstration against lawful authority and it doesn’t in anyway represent Christ in us. While we may not endorse the behavior of people in office, it’s important that we see them as playing their part to help us actualize our destiny in Christ. Protest is a satanic nature and it should not be a part of a person who claims to follow Christ.

www.davidaobooks.com

Ofcourse..
I'll take u back to the old testament before talking about the new testament..
When the rulers of Israel start worshipping idols and forcing the people to do the same, didn't GOD raise up prophets and Judges to protest against that, a good example is Elijah who protested and proved Jezebel and her king husband wrong at mount Carmel by protesting and confirming the power of the supreme GOD.
How about Shedrach, Meschach and Abednego? When they were told to bow for King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, they protested and go against the law and were casted into the burning furnace and GOD came to their rescue.
The same thing goes for Daniel, he disobeyed the law of Babylon too and was thrown into the Lion's den. The list is endless!

Now to the new testament, If Jesus had wanted to obey the law of Herod and Caesar, he wouldn't have gone ahead preaching the gospel even if the rulers and teachers of the law like Pharisees and Sadducees are against it. That's a form of protest too.
John the Baptist protested at river Jordan too, he condemned the officers of the law and even called them brood of vipers..
Do u think the temple of GOD that was turned into market place and den of thieves isn't supported by the government? They collect taxes from those people, yet Jesus went there to protest, whipped the traders and scattered their goods.
If Paul and Silas wanted to abide by the law, they shouldn't have left the prison after they prayed and sang and the prison locks broke down.
The law said a prostitute should be stoned to death, yet Jesus protested against the law when a certain woman was about to be stoned to death for prostitution.

Jesus Christ will never support injustice, he said he hasn't come to scrap the old laws but to fulfil it, by fulfilling it he preached just one thing which is love. And he didn't say we should look on while injustice is on the rampage.
Pls endeavor to understand the scripture well before discouraging people not to contest what will lead them to destruction and doom.
We shouldn't use Jesus negatively in our talks about what is right or not.
#Shalom

3 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by AceRoyal: 10:41am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Oh ok now I see what you mean. So does Jesus calling Herod a fox has anything to do with Jesus protesting? Do you know what the Bible means when it uses animals to represent messages? I think I wrote a post like that on here but I’ll send you another link where I wrote the same post in case you missed it on here.
https://www.davidaobooks.com/what-do-biblical-messages-represented-with-animals-mean/

That said, when Jesus called the Pharisees serpents, did that mean he was insulting them? When he says he’s given us power over serpents and scorpions, was he talking about Pharisees since he already called them serpents?

It’s important to understand Jesus’s message before we use them. Less we just use them out of our own accords.

I do not think Jesus will protest against government simply because he cautioned Peter not to protest his arrest. The apostles also preached obedience to authority of rules. We must put these thing into our life if we claim to believe in Jesus. Unless you say Jesus in the Bible is different from Jesus you know, or say the apostles have a different gospel from that which is preached today. I’ll accept your disposition when you make this clarification
Jesus flogged people selling in the temple as a form of protest against the desecration of the temple.
That was a direct challenge to the leadership of the temple.

Mark 11: 15-18.

There are instances of Jesus challenging the system in the Bible.

Do not be too heavenly minded that you're of no earthly benefit!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by GRACEGLORY: 10:42am On Jun 13, 2021
It depends on your definition of protest.
Protest is part of my fundamental human rights even as a Christian. And last time I checked, Christians are humans.
Everyone has the right to express his displeasure in any environment.

Therefore, protest is an expression of ones displeasure in any environment.

Someone once said:
For the Christian to protest before God in the face of innocent, underserved suffering is a plea for fidelity, that God might reveal himself to be what he has promised to be in a world marked by suffering.

We’re of peaceful protest, that is, peaceful expression of our displeasure.

Here’s an example:
https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/february/nigeria-christian-prayer-walk-can-enoch-adeboye-buhari.html
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Omobalo67: 10:42am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

It’s mind bugging that Nigeria is a very religious society but our practices outside these religious temples are quite the opposite what the books say.[b] I can understand if a Muslims does certain things as they are not aware of the truth [/b]but it’s very baffling when those who claim to be follow Christ act certain ways.

www.davidaobooks.com

Sorry for jumping into your post, you made a wrong impression by implicating Islam and Muslims to be away from truth. In fact your position of not going against a constituted authorities are the preaching of every sane learned Muslims upon the correct methodology.

For clarification, you can as a writer research and study the correct positions of Islamic scholars upon correct methodology on protest and revolting.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by TundRash(m): 10:43am On Jun 13, 2021
Quality20:
we as muslims and believers have long been advised against coming out to protest or confront authorities ,simply because the evil in coming out is far more than any perceived benefits. Take a look at libya n syria, are they not worst off, even after many thousands died in those protests?

The problem with most of you who claim that protest is not advisable in Islam is that you are mostly hypocrites. The Buhari that most of you now worship once lead a protest against the previous administration while you cheered him on. Now in the face of insecurity, inflation, maladministration occasioned by recurrent protests, no thanks to the failure of a president, suddenly you people now remember that protest isn't good.

I leave you and your likes for Allah to judge.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by otokx(m): 10:43am On Jun 13, 2021
Can you comment on the action of Jesus in the temple when he chased away the money changers and upturned their tables.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by tonero230(m): 10:46am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

www.davidaobooks.com

Stupid question. Who is a believer
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Dajuyoung: 10:46am On Jun 13, 2021
As much as I would like to agree with you as a Christian. I need you to enlighten me on what happened in Matthew 21:12. Prayer and action works together. As Christian yes, We have the right to vote (go out and exercises our right as citizen) don't you think we have the same right to exercises our right to freedom. If we didn't vote indoor. I, personally believed that we should have right to protest.

DavidAO:

Because it does not reflect the person of Christ. To believe in Jesus means to accept the life of Jesus and live that way. Do you think Jesus might join or support protests against the government? Do you think Jesus might be bothered by who rules the nation?

Also, as clearly show in Galatians 5:20, protest and other things of such against a lawful authority is a work of the flesh. A person in Christ mustn’t be entangled with such. If your reality has changed, then your reaction to things must change.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by xtivin(m): 10:47am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

www.davidaobooks.com
If its permitted by the law of the land, YES.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by necoD: 10:47am On Jun 13, 2021
That’s how religion turn people to zombies.

DavidAO:

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by senchibi: 10:47am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Like I said you have to make the clarification that the Jesus you’re serving isn’t the same Jesus in the Bible before I accept your disposition. You also have to clarify that the apostles have a different gospel from the one you preach or that’s being preached to you.

Until you do that, I’ll take it that you’re being disobedient to the word and also making yourself over situations of life. Where did you see any of the apostles protesting bad government or their killings in the Bible?

By the way nothing is happening to Christianity, it’s just your reality that’s making it look like it’s affecting it. Even so, what good has Christianity done to the every day man that makes its abolishing bad for us? Virtually nothing, and it has impoverished more people by aggregating their wealth to a few.

Christian pastors and politicians are in bed together so I do not see anyway that Christianity will be abolished. The hormonal rush you have thinking that Christianity will someday be abolished is a false alarm created by the messages you’ve been receiving.

Be like Christ brother. Obey till death and let God right for you. Bible never said complain what someone does evil. Bible said talk when someone commits sin. Two different things, you’ve only manipulated it again.

Lastly, I do not think I have to agree with you, I can only agree with the Holy Spirit which of course is not you is it?
Forget your useless grama ---- lets ask ourselves what is peaceful demonstration ? It's to openly criticize and make your voice heard by the leaders who lead but not with example. They say something else and do something else. I.e. They make laws that they don't follow. The Bible is littered with prophets and even Jesus publicly speaking against the government and leaders. I.e .
Matthew 23 :1 -Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:

2 The Pharisees and the teachers of the Law are experts in the Law of Moses. 3 So obey everything they teach you, but don’t do as they do. After all, they say one thing and do something else..
16 You are in for trouble! You are supposed to lead others, but you are blind. You teach that it doesn’t matter if a person swears by the temple. But you say that it does matter if someone swears by the gold in the temple. 17 (((You blind fools! )))Which is greater, the gold or the temple that makes the gold sacred? .
---------If Jesus was in our time. He'll be out there with DJ switch. Holding a loud microphone and telling the crowd that he is disappointed by this government.
You claim to be a Bible teacher but you are half baked. Note : the Pharisees weren't just religious leaders ( like popes ) they were the political leaders too in ancient Israel. They make the laws and are custodian of the law.
I'll reply more. Just wait and learn.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Verot92: 10:49am On Jun 13, 2021
Didnt Jesus protest against the anomalies happening in church? He even went further to flog them.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by WinterMinter(m): 10:49am On Jun 13, 2021
that depends on you,if you're so religious that you can adapt hardship,then do it
Moreover isn't that what Christianity all about?.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Farki: 10:49am On Jun 13, 2021
Samuel protested against Saul

Daniel protested against Nebuchadnezzar

Moses protested against Pharoh

Abeg get out angry
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by guru90: 10:54am On Jun 13, 2021
Nonsense question..... Are they not human beings like u and me?
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by oluwaseunamos33(m): 10:57am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

you mean if the government want to islamize the country we should keep watching till they do it abi. Thank you
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by TundRash(m): 10:59am On Jun 13, 2021
Omobalo67:

Sorry for jumping into your post, you made a wrong impression by implicating Islam and Muslims to be away from truth. In fact your position of not going against a constituted authorities are the preaching of every sane learned Muslims upon the correct methodology.

For clarification, you can as a writer research and study the correct positions of Islamic scholars upon correct methodology on protest and revolting.

In as much as we are required to live our everyday life in accordance with the teachings of Islam, please take note that Islam, (not political Islam) warns against hypocrisy.

Most of our Muslim brothers are only practicing political Islam. It is hypocritical for any learned Muslim who supported and cheered on Buhari when he lead a protest against the previous administration to now crawl out from somewhere and preach against protest.
Islam encourages truthfulness, uprightness not hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Aabolu(m): 11:00am On Jun 13, 2021
I wonder why we sometimes suspend reasoning and rationality in the name of religion. Christians are part of the society, a working society enables them "serve" their God in the best way possible, they have the right to demand good governance and accountability from a government to which they pay tax. This question should not even arise in the first place, but since you asked, Yes they should protest peacefully and ask for what is rightfully theirs from the government.
NB: I am a Christian and I will continue to protest against bad governance.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Ezekiel2122(m): 11:07am On Jun 13, 2021
I can see you are only trying to protect Buhari government by calling it "sincere" government. A government that protect killer herdmen and kill protesters is indeed innocent government. And, by God's grace, before this year runs out, your family will be victim of fulani herdmen and you will be arrested and jail for trying to fight fulani herdmen back then you will say it whether its good and sincere goverment or bad one.
By the grace of God. For the fact that since I joined nairaland I never comment on any post before

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by skylarr: 11:08am On Jun 13, 2021
shevon:

Was this really necessary?

@op is an idiot and a religious bigot
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Rephidimhomes: 11:11am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

Bros please stop misinterpreting the scripture, Tell God to further open the eyes of your understanding biko. How does Gal 5:20 state protest as being of the flesh? Jesus has always spoken up against Pharisees who are more like the leaders n teachers "Woe to them" so because I'm a believer i should keep being opressed without voicing out?
You really need to ask God for more understanding honestly.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Rephidimhomes: 11:11am On Jun 13, 2021
Aabolu:
I wonder why we sometimes suspend reasoning and rationality in the name of religion. Christians are part of the society, a working society enables them "serve" their God in the best way possible, they have the right to demand good governance and accountability from a government to which they pay tax. This question should not even arise in the first place, but since you asked, Yes they should protest peacefully and ask for what is rightfully theirs from the government.
NB: I am a Christian and I will continue to protest against bad governance.
God bless you chief
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by Majesty33(m): 11:13am On Jun 13, 2021
Something tells me that this is writrr, is a Jevovah's witness devotee. Their teaching looks so bias and they somehow misquote the bible and exclude themselves from things affecting the nation. This singular act annoys me about their teaching and believe.
Re: Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? by skylarr: 11:14am On Jun 13, 2021
DavidAO:

www.davidaobooks.com

People like you have put this country in the mess that it is in. You are a religious extremist and very intolerant of other people’s beliefs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Where do Atheists go when they die? / Questions For Budaatum: How Can You Follow Jesus Without Believing In Him? / Kids Raised Going To Church Are Happier Adults, Study Finds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.