Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

Amalar, Others Not Banned--who - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Amalar, Others Not Banned--who (1591 Views)

Beware Of These Banned Food Products / Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG / Banned Drugs In Nigerian Market (procold!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amalar, Others Not Banned--who by MaiSuya(m): 2:24pm On May 04, 2011
Like I stated on this thread, WHO have [i]not [/i]recommended the ban sulphadoxine-pyrimthamine (SP) derivatives, commonly sold as amalar, fansidar, etc. These group of medicines still have an important role in play in preventing malaria during pregnancy (IPT).

Pls be informed.

Amalar, antimalaria drugs not banned -WHO

The World Health Organisation (WHO), the National Malaria Control Programme and the Federal Ministry of Health, on Tuesday, said that Amalar tablets and other antimalarial drugs composed of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) have not been banned for treatment of malaria.

he drugs were said to have been allegedly banned from being used in the treatment of malaria, but this was dispelled by the WHO and the Ministry of Health at the celebration of the World Malaria Day in Abuja on Tuesday.

The two bodies denied their ban and reinstated their efficacy particularly in the malaria prevention and control in pregnancy.

The WHO Representative in Nigeria, Dr David Okello, who spoke on the issue yesterday during a press briefing to commemorate the World Malaria Day, however, stated that a ban should be placed on the usage of oral Artemisinin- based monotherapies, so as to reduce cases of drug resistance.

Dr. Okello said the best way to treat malaria was through the use of ACT (Artemisinin-based combination therapy) and not through monotherapies and added that the above drugs could be used to treat malaria effectively.

The world health body called for the removal of taxes and tariffs on malaria commodities so as to ensure that there are no hitches in the availability of the drugs.

Okello urged research institutes to be on the alert against any resistance from malaria drugs saying that the monotherapies hasten the development of resistance and called that they be phased gradually out of the market.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/21395-amalar-antimalaria-drugs-not-banned-who

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Doctors Leaving For Saudi,isreal. / My Friend Needs Your Help / Health Benefits Of Super Cider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.