Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,208 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both (47626 Views)

Twitter Ban: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow - CNN / Twitter Needs Nigeria To Grow - CNN / How Shehu Sani Got Into Trouble With EFCC Over Car Dealer’s $30,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Litmus: 6:43pm On Jun 13, 2021
joyandfaith:

If I am wrong,then you are saying humans hate freedom.

Actually, since there are approximately 7.6 billion people in the world it wouldn’t be ridiculous of me to claim millions of people do not like freedom. This type of persons wouldn’t know what to do with freedoms entrusted on them by myriad of circumstance in the world. Some of these types of persons regularly join the military looking for regimented and or structured existence. And unless you argue that some wars caused by incursion of one force into the territory of another due to scarce resources is same as looting in order to Free the people represented by the aggressor government, then a good many wars aren’t about freedom. Not to mention the efficacy of Freedom concept in relation to differing perceptive.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Kubernetes: 6:43pm On Jun 13, 2021
dmbb:

Forget about Trump, Nigeria and America are two different independent countries with different laws.
It was the twitter that supposed to have contacted the Federal government for an explanations regarding the president's Tweets before taking any action. Don't forget they are operating in this country for their own business interest as such, they must be answerable to us. We are the one that should control them, not the other way round

Exactly, but twitter went as far as saying they don't know the person bearing PMB. Can u imagine!!!!
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by dmbb: 6:44pm On Jun 13, 2021
joyandfaith:

Some people said so in 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s,2000s,2010s. Many of them are late or old. Those alive are still regretting their stupidity.
I love Nigeria and I am ready to give my life for it
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 13, 2021
Commentor:

And they make their money how?
maybe through advert placed on the app
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by dragunov: 6:45pm On Jun 13, 2021
seunmsg:

Really? From who?

I heard you guys have a whatsapp group where you discuss and decide on how to attack some selected handles. Considering the way you’ve been trolling my handle of recent, I’m curious to ask if you’re being paid to do this. To be honest, you’re doing a bad job.

You’re not the first person to troll my handle and won’t be the last. I always ignore them till they get tired and another person is assigned to troll me. You will soon get tired or fired like the others.

This niggah is big time goofy. Pay me for what? I don't need to get paid for me to recognize your kind and respond to your goofy-a.ss comments.

I am doing a bad job? I hear you. I don't answer your comments to troll you. I do it in the hope that your blind a.ss, weakbrained self will get your sight restored and your brains repaired. Punkas.s niggah!

Continue.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by dragunov: 6:48pm On Jun 13, 2021
Jeromejnr:

Is your moniker inspired by the Sniper rifle?

Yup.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Commentor: 6:49pm On Jun 13, 2021
justosee:
maybe through advert placed on the app

I doubt that strategy would sustain a VPN.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by dragunov: 6:52pm On Jun 13, 2021
stevups:

Buses were destroyed

And does that translate to destruction of Lagos? Get the phuck out of here niggah!
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by IamPlato(m): 6:53pm On Jun 13, 2021
joyandfaith:

Most social media are built on fundamental of human existence - freedom and liberalism. Humans love freedom and that is the reason wars are being fought. Any platform that will not guarantee freedom of expression is likely pro-government and any platform without bias for people will make people to jettison such platform.

It is now people v governments in many lands with social media on the side of the people.
If they are on the side of freedom of speech then they wouldn't have removed buhari's comments... They want to control what people say online yet speak about freedom of speech

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 13, 2021
Commentor:

I doubt that strategy would sustain a VPN.
A lot of free VPN are available
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by joyandfaith: 7:02pm On Jun 13, 2021
IamPlato:
If they are on the side of freedom of speech then they wouldn't have removed buhari's comments... They want to control what people say online yet speak about freedom of speech

I am sure you have never read their terms of services
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by joyandfaith: 7:04pm On Jun 13, 2021
dmbb:

I love Nigeria and I am ready to give my life for it

Very good of you
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by mbhs139(m): 7:04pm On Jun 13, 2021
seunmsg:

The danger is that foreign tech companies should not be in a position to determine what is good to say and what is not good to say. It even gets more complicated when the CEO of the company keeps mixing his political views with what users of the company’s platform can say or cannot say.

Another problem is the issue of regulation. A media space that is unregulated will sooner or later create chaos. The media contributed significantly to the Rwanda genocide. We all saw the role Twitter played in the destruction of Lagos last year and the Capitol Hill riot early this year. It’s good for tech companies to promote freedom of speech but they must do so under a define regulatory framework and without political bias.

Twitter is registered as a business entity in UK, EU, India and other advanced countries. They should also be made to register as a company in Nigeria under our laws.

"For many in India, the debate around social media usage in the country is not so much about freedom of speech but rather about a foreign company challenging the might of the Indian government, Pahwa told CNN Business. He added that the ban in Nigeria "adds more fuel to that fire."

How educated lots in Nigeria failed to see the bold part is something that needs to be studied. For me, it's not far fetched. It's hatred for one man at the helms of affair. Therefore, the country can go to blazes, they don't care. But let's tell them that Buhari will go, Nigeria will remain, and whatever they destroy, it is them and their generation yet unborn that will surfer it

4 Likes

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 13, 2021
Let them go to Ghana na. This man doesn’t have the sense of a billy goat. His platform exists by the support of his government in interfering in the runnings of other countries.

A Nigerian needs to build a Twitter like app see market. But na yahoo dem dey do.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by joyandfaith: 7:11pm On Jun 13, 2021
Litmus:

Actually, since there are approximately 7.6 billion people in the world it wouldn’t be ridiculous of me to claim millions of people do not like freedom. This type of persons wouldn’t know what to do with freedoms entrusted on them by myriad of circumstance in the world. Some of these types of persons regularly join the military looking for regimented and or structured existence. And unless you argue that some wars caused by incursion of one force into the territory of another due to scarce resources is same as looting in order to Free the people represented by the aggressor government, then a good many wars aren’t about freedom. Not to mention the efficacy of Freedom concept in relation to differing perceptive.

Going by your explanation. From normal distribution curve, it is expected that 5% of populations are not within normal range. It can be assumed 5% of 7.6 billions would love to be in bondage. They would love their oppressors.
There must be freedom of speech and mechanism should be put in place to identify and punish any individual would abuse that freedom. Government should strength public institutions in this regard.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Koolyarn: 7:16pm On Jun 13, 2021
joyandfaith:

Most social media are built on fundamental of human existence - freedom and liberalism. Humans love freedom and that is the reason wars are being fought. Any platform that will not guarantee freedom of expression is likely pro-government and any platform without bias for people will make people to jettison such platform.

It is now people v governments in many lands with social media on the side of the people.

My take is simple: Censorship Vs Free Speech which one wins
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 13, 2021
BlackFlamefromP:
I can see where you are confusing and deceiving yourself.

Just because someone has not DEACTIVATED his twitter account doesn't mean he has access and is still being active on twitter. I myself used to be active on twitter before the ban. After the ban I stay away from twitter but my twitter account is still intact. Will you say that the ban is not working simply because I have not deactivated my twitter account? LOL. That's where you are mixing things up and deceiving yourself.

Anyway, some people are just incurably delusional and never want to face reality and admit obvious facts unless doing so will not shatter their delusion. So I can sympathize with you.

On another day would just ignore, you sound like a typical nigerian.
The fact that you havent deactivated means you have an option to access twitter when you want, all it takes is your decision. as long as the choice to visit twitter is totally yours then the BAN is ineffective.
As we speak, active or offline you still count as a member, that is what count as population stats. if una mean business then deactivate maybe then jack will take una serious. aishat understands & knows she had to deactivated.
The ban will be consider effective when its not by your decision you're offline.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by joyandfaith: 7:23pm On Jun 13, 2021
Koolyarn:

My take is simple: Censorship Vs Free Speech which one wins

Free speech is natural and it will always win. There are many alternatives to express opinions.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Blessedassuranc(f): 7:25pm On Jun 13, 2021
authority2006:

Make your point without insulting people.
You made it looks like there are no thousands of businesses flourishing in Nigeria, lol. We don't need to allow people to brainwash us at all. My business is flourishing inside Naija

No one is brainwashing anyone here.. RESPECT IS EARNED AND NEVER GIVEN. okay? As for your business flourishing, i just hope it isnt ontop of other people's blood.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by neyyoh: 7:28pm On Jun 13, 2021
Litmus:

Are you sure true freedom exists anywhere in this world?

Humans are not bird's and even bird's are governed by the law's of nature.

Only God knows who is brainwashing you people with all these Marxist idealism.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Osyxcel(m): 7:38pm On Jun 13, 2021
joyandfaith:

Have you try to study twitter policy , rules and regulation ? First, tweets must be reported before it can be flagged and possibly deleted.

Twitter is online platform. I think Nigeria is a signatory to open internet and freedom of expression as fundamental human right. Twiitter products and services can be assessed from Nigeria just like we can assess thousands of products without those companies having physical offices in Nigeria.

Twitter did not cause Rwanda genocide. There was no social media then. If there was social media, genocide might have been prevented because world would get to known about it immediately.

Reckless shooting of lekki protesters trigged waves of violence that erupted after that. It was not Twitter that first broadcasted it. People watched it in the live Instagram and the clips were shared via whatapp and Facebook. I think government should worry about whatapp and Facebook. The users of those platforms don't question source of information. Twitter users are known to question source of information. They are more mature and professional.

Government can regulate anything it wants. I am certain that if regulation is to prevent people from criticising the government , populace would find means of mobilising against it which may lead to civil unrest or war. Government should always open to discussion or use information in social media to solve problems.

Humans are borne free in all ramifications. Governments are known as oppressors. Ecc 8:9

Very well said.

FG are targeting Twitter because there are more youths there. Let them touch Whatsapp and FB and they'll face backlash from a greater population including adults. Afterall, I read that FB also removed the post of the President, why were they not banned?

If any liberation is to come to the people of Nigeria from the wicked and oppressive governments we have today, it'll be triggered by the youths. The older generation have been subdued and caged with fear. That's what the Government doesn't want - liberation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by ABCthings: 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2021
joyandfaith:

Have you try to study twitter policy , rules and regulation ? First, tweets must be reported before it can be flagged and possibly deleted.

Twitter is online platform. I think Nigeria is a signatory to open internet and freedom of expression as fundamental human right. Twiitter products and services can be assessed from Nigeria just like we can assess thousands of products without those companies having physical offices in Nigeria.

Twitter did not cause Rwanda genocide. There was no social media then. If there was social media, genocide might have been prevented because world would get to known about it immediately.

Reckless shooting of lekki protesters trigged waves of violence that erupted after that. It was not Twitter that first broadcasted it. People watched it in the live Instagram and the clips were shared via whatapp and Facebook. I think government should worry about whatapp and Facebook. The users of those platforms don't question source of information. Twitter users are known to question source of information. They are more mature and professional.

Government can regulate anything it wants. I am certain that if regulation is to prevent people from criticising the government , populace would find means of mobilising against it which may lead to civil unrest or war. Government should always open to discussion or use information in social media to solve problems.

Humans are borne free in all ramifications. Governments are known as oppressors. Ecc 8:9
'Social media cause Rwanda genocide' ~ That guy is losing it fast.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Adakintroy: 7:54pm On Jun 13, 2021
If the data is accurate twitter de play with 40million subscribers from Nigeria I think.

Can't push that angle. This was the numbers I was hoping twitter would see first. And respect nigeria. Rather they will dispose us and further rubb it in by taking down our president tweet.

They are not complaining when we use their platforms for scams. They will act ignorant.

But in public they will snub us as corrupt nation. But they acknowledge and accommodate all numbers as theirs

Thanks God bubu threw them off. Go learn proper manners in front of your elders and or partners. We not perfect but you are worst. For a highly educated person does not know to greet before criticising. #communication skills is lacking#

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by shegun4sur: 7:54pm On Jun 13, 2021
QuotaSystem:

Just imagine - a single, private foreign company DEFYING the democratically elected Governments of some of the largest nations on earth. The temerity. The arrogance. The blatant audacity.

Uncommon Common Sense.

With Ko.o, Indians like their Nigerian counterparts, are already speaking in the language that arrogant nerd at Twitter understands and an outright ban will be the final nail in the coffin of the company's growth & expansion plans cool

Get your facts right. The war is not between Twitter and sovereign nations, it is between Twitter and a few people who are vested with political power and are usurping the whole power of sovereignty for their parochial objectives trying to prove autocratic points.
It is a pity that people like you are myopic enough to accept oppression. It is because you lack freedom of the mind.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Litmus: 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2021
joyandfaith:

Going by your explanation. From normal distribution curve, it is expected that 5% of populations are not within normal range. It can be assumed 5% of 7.6 billions would love to be in bondage. They would love their oppressors.
There must be freedom of speech and mechanism should be put in place to identify and punish any individual would abuse that freedom. Government should strength public institutions in this regard.

Majority of these platforms, systems, or even networking websites were made for communication, research and profit, especially the later ones, not freedom of expression although exploiting freedom of expression when and where it can be had.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by nedzuby: 8:32pm On Jun 13, 2021
OnionBandit:
You don't mess with the giant of Africa and giant of Asia (I give it to them)

Countries with ballz

The truth is more countries are watching to see what will happen to Nigeria and as it is going, USA, UK etc can only threaten but can’t do anything to a sovereign country and with this outcome more Governments will start banning Twitter in their countries.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Elvisgolden: 8:33pm On Jun 13, 2021
Workch:
lol, some of you think Nigeria is so consequential grin

And some of you also think you make or have sense when you denigrate Nigeria..................

1 Like

Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by redsun(m): 8:34pm On Jun 13, 2021
Twitter doesn't need the two semi-primitive countries to grow if they can't toe the line of freedom of expression, adaptation and sustainability for all.

This is not all about money and a winner takes all. It's about ethics and rationality that must reign for peace to be.
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Rissimenky: 8:46pm On Jun 13, 2021
Simplyleo:
So you mean the dot nation is not sufficient for Twitter to grow? Is that what you are implying?

HAHAHAHAHA grin
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Rissimenky: 8:50pm On Jun 13, 2021
FuckOsuPigs:

Only the people from the Dot Republic think Nigeria is not consequential.

The Dot Republic?

Hahahahahaha

You guys are funny sha. grin grin

New name for the idiots.

Or should I say 'idots' wink wink
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Workch: 8:51pm On Jun 13, 2021
muykem:
Nigeria is more than consequential, no international company will joke with a country of over 200million population.
lol, it's funny how Nigerians think they can even be considered when the chips are down
Re: Twitter Needs India And Nigeria To Grow. It's Running Into Trouble In Both by Rissimenky: 8:52pm On Jun 13, 2021
Workch:
lol, it's funny how Nigerians think they can even be considered when the chips are down

Oh shut up and get lost, you illiterate dunce.

Just because you swim in low self-esteem and inferiority complex does not mean the Truth is not the Truth.

Nigeria is by far the largest and most buoyant internet ecosystem in Africa. And will be the world's 3rd most populous nation after India and China by 2050.

Every digital company worth its salt is looking to invest big time in Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Policeman Shot Dead At Checkpoint In Onitsha, Patrol Van Burnt (Disturbing Pix) / Several ‘flaws’ Identified In Atiku’s Presidential Election ‘server Result’ / Ezinne Chime And Ken Nnamani Are Engaged (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.