Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,993 members, 7,806,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

A BEAUTIFUL FOE - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A BEAUTIFUL FOE (14781 Views)

Friend Or Foe: Episode 2 / Friend Or Foe by Oduniyi Olajide David / Friend Or Foe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 11:03pm On Jun 15, 2021
Introduction:
As a finalist in the university, life was blissful for Esther, until she found herself in the middle of a scandal, helpless and unaware of a force lurking in the shadows that would stop at nothing to ensure her ultimate ruin.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by ShawttySoFyne(f): 2:47am On Jun 16, 2021
#grabs seat

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by Taniaa(f): 8:14am On Jun 16, 2021
Following cheesy
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 9:37pm On Jun 16, 2021
Chapter 1
"How was it?" Anita asked with dreaded apprehension. The two hours wait had seemed like forever with time ticking slowly.
"Say something!" Her soprano voice was laced with urgency and sounded higher than usual.
"I tried...." Esther dragged, she sighed briefly before she continued "I did the best I could" Her voice sounded wobbly as she fiddled mindlessly with her fingers.
"You've come this far,now's not the time to waver, you're assertive so I believe you when you tell me you did your best. Trust me your best is enough" Anita said with a soothing voice
"I was nervous, but tried not to let it show,
I was as lucid and eloquent as I could be...."
Esther sounded sceptical, almost as though she was trying to convince herself she did well.
She got up abruptly and paced round the room, chewing at the side of her lips with agitation.
"This is a nightmare" She said, more to herself than to Anita
"I agree" Anita got up from the bunk bed and walked slowly towards Esther
"Try and relax, you're getting me worked up" Anita added mildly
"Playing the scenario over and over in my head, like is there something I omitted? Something I could have said or given more details to perhaps" Esther looked at her with eyes pleading for reassurance.
Like an answer, Anita grasped her hand
"There's nothing more you could have said or done, don't beat yourself up over it" She told her
"Where would I start from? I'm a finalist.....why did this have to happen to me......." Esther's voice was shaky as she sobbed quietly, Anita reached out to hold her and her sobs turned into loud wails. She had fought back tears for so long and her body shook with fear. She felt like her whole life was shattering right in front of her and she couldn't do anything to stop it.
"I'm sorry..... you'll get through this" Anita tried to console her, but Esther's sobbing only increased to a higher pitch.
Two weeks ago Esther was just a regular final year student in the university, working on her project.
A week later she had gotten a notification from the school board in writing telling her she had allegedly violated a specific policy of the school. Such notification is normally made at least seven calendar days before the hearing.
She had faced the school disciplinary panel earlier that day. She was asked a number of questions, but one question in particular kept playing in her head even hours after they had dismissed her.
"So are you affirming you're the one in the photo?"
One of the panel members had asked her.
She swallowed hard before she answered quietly "Yes sir" Her heart sank as she answered.
She stared at the floor for a few seconds, gathering her courage before she continued. She spoke coherently in her defence, trying to convince them of her innocence.
They had informed her she would be notified of their verdict in a week's time, but she worried she might have sounded stilted or overly confident. She couldn't stop worrying or stop the tears from flowing. This one week was going to be the longest of her life.
"Have you had anything to eat at all? I made yam and egg" She heard Anita say,
she wiped her swollen eyes and didn't answer.
"I'll just bring you some" Anita said when she didn't get a response from Esther.
Anita went to her corner of the room and served Esther a plate.
"Thank you" Esther told her with a half smile
"You're welcome, all this would pass okay?"
Esther nodded in agreement and nibbled at the food in front of her.
She usually enjoyed yam and egg combination but it tasted sour in her mouth today.
"Even if it's little try and eat something. You look like you've not eaten for the past three days. Wonder how you had stamina to talk to the panel today" Anita handed her a pure water sachet and added "The worst is over"
Esther didn't agree with her assertion but said nothing.
The worst wasn't over, she could be expelled and all her four years of studying and hardwork would all be for nothing. How would she break the news to her parents, the look on their faces would be disheartening.
She would know her fate in a week's time but until then she would walk on egg shells with her heart in her mouth.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by xoxocandy(f): 11:09am On Jun 17, 2021
This space is booked.

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 9:49pm On Jun 17, 2021
Chapter 2
One of the school's most visited cafeteria was in a usual frenetic state that afternoon, with students eating and talking loudly, but everyone suddenly fell silent when they saw Esther standing by the cafeteria door.
For the past three weeks she has been at the receiving end of their scornful looks.
"There was no getting used to that" She silently muttered to herself as she joined the long queue of people waiting in line for their turn to order food. It soon got to her turn and she ordered jollof rice, fish and a drink. She brought out her purse and paid the attendant who in turn thanked her for the patronage. Esther nodded and looked round in search of an available table to eat. Everyone was seated in twos and threes around a centre table, giving her uninviting glances.
She soon spotted a table with only one student seated, the female student looked engrossed in her food and most likely wouldn't pay attention to Esther.
Esther approached the table and sat opposite the student.
"Hello" Esther smiled at her
The student looked up from her food, gave her a repelling look and hastily carried her tray of food away to another table.
"Ok then,three seats for me" Esther mumbled.
She ate to her fill, savouring the delicious taste of the jollof rice.
"So you finished everything without me" Anita tweaked her ear from behind about twenty minutes later
"Sorry, was so hungry and you didn't come on time. Let me get you another" Esther got up to leave, but Anita pulled her back down.
"No need, it's almost time for class" She reminded.
Esther was not anticipating attending the class, infact she hasn't attended any classes in the last few days, ever since she faced the disciplinary panel. On that day it suddenly became more glaring that everything she had worked for in the last four years might be over in a flash.
If she's expelled, attending classes wouldn't matter anymore.
"It's time" Anita interrupted her thoughts and pulled her up with determined firmness. Esther didn't resist as they walked silently to the lecture hall.
On getting there Esther was greeted with whistles of derision and sneers from her coursemates, their faces not hiding the contempt they felt towards her.
Anita blurted out some words in her defence and Esther gave her a gentle tap on her shoulder, telling her it was best to ignore them.
"You're so strong, most people can't handle this in the stoic manner you're handling it"
Esther half smiled in response.
The lecture hall was stuffy most of the time, but today it felt stuffier than usual.
Esther seethed in silence when she overheard the conversation a group of people were having concerning her. Everyone suddenly had an opinion about her, mostly wrong ones and she had no way of defending herself. Anita noticed the little frown that was starting to form on Esther's face and grasped her hand tightly.
It was her own way of pacifying her.
The lecturer soon came in, restoring normalcy in the hall.
The class ended in two hours with the lecturer giving them an assignment to work on. An assignment Esther might not even get to submit if she's expelled.
As they walked back to the hostel it dawned on Anita she had forgotten to take their room key that morning
"Jeez, I didn't hold my key, did you?" Anita asked Esther?
"No I didn't, but Moni should be around...if she's not we'd wait for her in the next room"
"What If she's not with her key too?" Anita enquired giving her a worried look
"We would break down the door" Esther stated. She met Anita's questioning gaze and quickly added that she was joking.
"You cracked a joke, wow been a while" Anita smiled at her
"I know right?" Esther pondered for a moment before she continued "Anyway Moni is always with her key so there's nothing to worry about" Esther assured her.
The door was locked by the time they got to the hostel. Monisola the third and final occupant of their room was not back from class.
Anita expressed her disappointment as they walked to the next room.
"Where are you guys going to?" an orotund voice called out to them. They turned to look and it was Monisola, giving them a confused look. Anita's face lit up with joy when she saw Monisola.
"Didn't know you were in, the door was locked" Anita explained on entering the room
"You should have knocked" Monisola replied shutting the door behind them.
Esther had been having trouble sleeping in the last few weeks, but that night it was worse.
She had woken up from a nightmare at 1'am and found it hard to go back to sleep again.
Her fate in the school must have been decided by the disciplinary planel already and in a day or two their final verdict would be disclosed to her. Fear and uncertainty filled her and she shut her eyes, saying a silent prayer.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by LisaAnne(f): 10:51pm On Jun 17, 2021
Interesting so far gringrin

kindly update
YTmami:
Chapter 2
One of the school's most visited cafeteria was in a usual frenetic state that afternoon, with students eating and talking loudly, but everyone suddenly fell silent when they saw Esther standing by the cafeteria door.
For the past three weeks she has been at the receiving end of their scornful looks.
"There was no getting used to that" She silently muttered to herself as she joined the long queue of people waiting in line for their turn to order food. It soon got to her turn and she ordered jollof rice, fish and a drink. She brought out her purse and paid the attendant who in turn thanked her for the patronage. Esther nodded and looked round in search of an available table to eat. Everyone was seated in twos and threes around a centre table, giving her uninviting glances.
She soon spotted a table with only one student seated, the female student looked engrossed in her food and most likely wouldn't pay attention to Esther.
Esther approached the table and sat opposite the student.
"Hello" Esther smiled at her
The student looked up from her food, gave her a repelling look and hastily carried her tray of food away to another table.
"Ok then,three seats for me" Esther mumbled.
She ate to her fill, savouring the delicious taste of the jollof rice.
"So you finished everything without me" Anita tweaked her ear from behind about twenty minutes later
"Sorry, was so hungry and you didn't come on time. Let me get you another" Esther got up to leave, but Anita pulled her back down.
"No need, it's almost time for class" She reminded.
Esther was not anticipating attending the class, infact she hasn't attended any classes in the last few days, ever since she faced the disciplinary panel. On that day it suddenly became more glaring that everything she had worked for in the last four years might be over in a flash.
If she's expelled, attending classes wouldn't matter anymore.
"It's time" Anita interrupted her thoughts and pulled her up with determined firmness. Esther didn't resist as they walked silently to the lecture hall.
On getting there Esther was greeted with whistles of derision and sneers from her coursemates, their faces not hiding the contempt they felt towards her.
Anita blurted out some words in her defence and Esther gave her a gentle tap on her shoulder, telling her it was best to ignore them.
"You're so strong, most people can't handle this in the stoic manner you're handling it"
Esther half smiled in response.
The lecture hall was stuffy most of the time, but today it felt stuffier than usual.
Esther seethed in silence when she overheard the conversation a group of people were having concerning her. Everyone suddenly had an opinion about her, mostly wrong ones and she had no way of defending herself. Anita noticed the little frown that was starting to form on Esther's face and grasped her hand tightly.
It was her own way of pacifying her.
The lecturer soon came in, restoring normalcy in the hall.
The class ended in two hours with the lecturer giving them an assignment to work on. An assignment Esther might not even get to submit if she's expelled.
As they walked back to the hostel it dawned on Anita she had forgotten to take their room key that morning
"Jeez, I didn't hold my key, did you?" Anita asked Esther?
"No I didn't, but Moni should be around...if she's not we'd wait for her in the next room"
"What If she's not with her key too?" Anita enquired giving her a worried look
"We would break down the door" Esther stated. She met Anita's questioning gaze and quickly added that she was joking.
"You cracked a joke, wow been a while" Anita smiled at her
"I know right?" Esther pondered for a moment before she continued "Anyway Moni is always with her key so there's nothing to worry about" Esther assured her.
The door was locked by the time they got to the hostel. Monisola the third and final occupant of their room was not back from class.
Anita expressed her disappointment as they walked to the next room.
"Where are you guys going to?" an orotund voice called out to them. They turned to look and it was Monisola, giving them a confused look. Anita's face lit up with joy when she saw Monisola.
"Didn't know you were in, the door was locked" Anita explained on entering the room
"You should have knocked" Monisola replied shutting the door behind them.
Esther had been having trouble sleeping in the last few weeks, but that night it was worse.
She had woken up from a nightmare at 1'am and found it hard to go back to sleep again.
Her fate in the school must have been decided by the disciplinary planel already and in a day or two their final verdict would be disclosed to her. Fear and uncertainty filled her and she shut her eyes, saying a silent prayer.
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 10:57pm On Jun 17, 2021
LisaAnne:
Interesting so far gringrin

kindly update
Thanks and I will do that tomorrow...
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by LisaAnne(f): 11:01pm On Jun 17, 2021
ok magrin
YTmami:
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by Liposure: 7:06am On Jun 18, 2021
Well done

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by Taniaa(f): 11:01am On Jun 18, 2021
Fflwing bumper to bumper

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 10:25pm On Jun 18, 2021
Chapter 3
Two days went by with Esther not hearing a word from the disclinary Panel. By the fourth day she was worried sick. Why have they not called her to the administrative office? They didn't delay in calling her for a hearing. The situation perplexed her, but there was no one to express her concerns to, no one was on the brink of expulsion like her.
She felt like a black sheep in a school of thousands.
Although she still attended classes regularly, she was mostly absent minded.
She either drifted asleep in class due to lack of sufficient sleep the previous night or her mind finds a way to wander and fixate on irrelevant trivialities.
She had stood up for the remainder of a class once, when the lecturer caught her snoozing away.
"You would be out of this school in a few months, why waste the short time you have sleeping? remain standing until the class is over"
The lecturer had chastised her.
While standing she had stared at him with full concentration, but only her body was present in the classroom, her mind was miles away.
By the fifth day, she went to class with her newly embraced apathetic attitude.
That morning she wore a baggy jean, black plain top and flip-flop as opposed to her usual fashionable outfits and outstanding shoes.
That afternoon during a period recess, Esther rested her head on the table for a quick nap, but her nap was cut short when someone banged the table. Esther raised her head and saw a mischievous looking face smiling down at her. It was Chidinma, a fellow coursemate.
"Why are you sleeping? And why do you look like you're homeless" Chidinma's gaze scrutinized her from head to toe. Esther ignored her and
Chidinma turned to face Anita who was seated beside Esther. They chatted briefly till Chidinma's gaze turned to Esther again.
"You've not heard back from the panel, how sad" Chidinma said in a smarmy tone
Esther gave her a confused look wondering how she knew about that.
"The whole school knows" Chidinma read her look and answered
"Thanks for letting us know, you can go now" Anita interjected
Chidinma rolled her eyes before it she walked away.
"Don't worry" Anita said as she hugged Esther close.
An hour later the course representative stood in front of the class and notified them the class for that afternoon was cancelled.
The course members cheered and applauded in response, happy to hear the news.
Esther and Anita got up to leave, on their way out Esther's name was called loudly from the crowd of students. She turned her head and saw the course representative running towards her.
"You're wanted at the administrative office" He announced to her when he caught up with her
"What?" Esther asked, she heard him the first time, but she needed to hear it a second time to be certain she had heard right.
He repeated his statement to her.
"Ok, thank you..."
The weather was warm, but she suddenly felt chilly.
The moment was here. She had anticipated it and had dreaded it at the same time.
She stood frozen on the spot, unable to move till Anita placed her hand on her shoulder.
"I'm....wanted at....." Esther stammered to her
"Yes, I heard him...I know you're scared. I am too" Anita had never seen her friend this way. She wished she had a way of helping of friend, but her hands were tied.
"I have to go there right now...." Esther's voice was shaky. Emotions she had never felt before flowed through her.
She panicked as she turned to leave
"Wait, I'll go with you" Anita suggested
Esther knew she needed her, so she nodded her head in response.
Outside, they hailed a cab and they got down in front of the administrative office.
She stared at the building for a moment, her legs feeling like they were glued to the ground beneath her. Her mouth felt dry and she swallowed hard.
Esther had an instant strong urge to pee as they made their way to the office.
Anita wouldn't be allowed into the office with her, so she sat on a bench near by to wait for her.
An ill tempered receptionist met Esther at the door, asking what she was there for.
"I was asked to come here for a letter" Esther explained
"What's your name?" The receptionist asked. Her voice sounded hoarse, she must have done a lot of shouting.
"Esther Coker" Esther replied
"Wait here" The receptionist lifted up a bunch of files on her desk, beneath the files was a small key. She opened a faded white cupboard with the key and brought out a brown envelope. She closed back the cupboard and handed the brown envelope to Esther. Her heart skipped immediately.
"Thank you" Esther managed to say and turned to leave. She met Anita who leapt from the bench when she saw her.
She noticed the brown envelope with Esther and wanted to know if she had opened it.
"No, I wouldn't want to break down in this office.. so I'll open it when we get back to the hostel" Esther's voice was void of emotion
"Break down? Don't joke please" Anita grabbed her hand as they walked away from the office.
Anita hailed another cab, which dropped them in front of the hostel.
On getting to their room Anita shut the door firmly behind them so no one would come to intrude.
Two hours passed and Esther couldn't bring herself to open the letter.
She felt a painful pang in her chest and incessantly fought back the tears forming in her eyes.
While Anita was busy with something, Esther slowly opened the letter, a shudder of fear running through her.
She gasped when she saw the content of the letter. Her whole body stiffened as her mouth flew agape.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by xaviercasmir(m): 8:24am On Jun 19, 2021
Ooook you got me with the suspense. Nice work you got here

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by ShawttySoFyne(f): 11:05am On Jun 19, 2021
You're doing well ���
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by shesawesome(f): 3:32pm On Jun 19, 2021
Nice one op

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by LisaAnne(f): 11:38pm On Jun 19, 2021
cry no update today?
YTmami:
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by xoxocandy(f): 10:03am On Jun 20, 2021
YTmami:
Chapter 3
Two days went by with Esther not hearing a word from the disclinary Panel. By the fourth day she was worried sick. Why have they not called her to the administrative office? They didn't delay in calling her for a hearing. The situation perplexed her, but there was no one to express her concerns to, no one was on the brink of expulsion like her.
She felt like a black sheep in a school of thousands.
Although she still attended classes regularly, she was mostly absent minded.
She either drifted asleep in class due to lack of sufficient sleep the previous night or her mind finds a way to wander and fixate on irrelevant trivialities.
She had stood up for the remainder of a class once, when the lecturer caught her snoozing away.
"You would be out of this school in a few months, why waste the short time you have sleeping? remain standing until the class is over"
The lecturer had chastised her.
While standing she had stared at him with full concentration, but only her body was present in the classroom, her mind was miles away.
By the fifth day, she went to class with her newly embraced apathetic attitude.
That morning she wore a baggy jean, black plain top and flip-flop as opposed to her usual fashionable outfits and outstanding shoes.
That afternoon during a period recess, Esther rested her head on the table for a quick nap, but her nap was cut short when someone banged the table. Esther raised her head and saw a mischievous looking face smiling down at her. It was Chidinma, a fellow coursemate.
"Why are you sleeping? And why do you look like you're homeless" Chidinma's gaze scrutinized her from head to toe. Esther ignored her and
Chidinma turned to face Anita who was seated beside Esther. They chatted briefly till Chidinma's gaze turned to Esther again.
"You've not heard back from the panel, how sad" Chidinma said in a smarmy tone
Esther gave her a confused look wondering how she knew about that.
"The whole school knows" Chidinma read her look and answered
"Thanks for letting us know, you can go now" Anita interjected
Chidinma rolled her eyes before it she walked away.
"Don't worry" Anita said as she hugged Esther close.
An hour later the course representative stood in front of the class and notified them the class for that afternoon was cancelled.
The course members cheered and applauded in response, happy to hear the news.
Esther and Anita got up to leave, on their way out Esther's name was called loudly from the crowd of students. She turned her head and saw the course representative running towards her.
"You're wanted at the administrative office" He announced to her when he caught up with her
"What?" Esther asked, she heard him the first time, but she needed to hear it a second time to be certain she had heard right.
He repeated his statement to her.
"Ok, thank you..."
The weather was warm, but she suddenly felt chilly.
The moment was here. She had anticipated it and had dreaded it at the same time.
She stood frozen on the spot, unable to move till Anita placed her hand on her shoulder.
"I'm....wanted at....." Esther stammered to her
"Yes, I heard him...I know you're scared. I am too" Anita had never seen her friend this way. She wished she had a way of helping of friend, but her hands were tied.
"I have to go there right now...." Esther's voice was shaky. Emotions she had never felt before flowed through her.
She panicked as she turned to leave
"Wait, I'll go with you" Anita suggested
Esther knew she needed her, so she nodded her head in response.
Outside, they hailed a cab and they got down in front of the administrative office.
She stared at the building for a moment, her legs feeling like they were glued to the ground beneath her. Her mouth felt dry and she swallowed hard.
Esther had an instant strong urge to pee as they made their way to the office.
Anita wouldn't be allowed into the office with her, so she sat on a bench near by to wait for her.
An ill tempered receptionist met Esther at the door, asking what she was there for.
"I was asked to come here for a letter" Esther explained
"What's your name?" The receptionist asked. Her voice sounded hoarse, she must have done a lot of shouting.
"Esther Coker" Esther replied
"Wait here" The receptionist lifted up a bunch of files on her desk, beneath the files was a small key. She opened a faded white cupboard with the key and brought out a brown envelope. She closed back the cupboard and handed the brown envelope to Esther. Her heart skipped immediately.
"Thank you" Esther managed to say and turned to leave. She met Anita who leapt from the bench when she saw her.
She noticed the brown envelope with Esther and wanted to know if she had opened it.
"No, I wouldn't want to break down in this office.. so I'll open it when we get back to the hostel" Esther's voice was void of emotion
"Break down? Don't joke please" Anita grabbed her hand as they walked away from the office.
Anita hailed another cab, which dropped them in front of the hostel.
On getting to their room Anita shut the door firmly behind them so no one would come to intrude.
Two hours passed and Esther couldn't bring herself to open the letter.
She felt a painful pang in her chest and incessantly fought back the tears forming in her eyes.
While Anita was busy with something, Esther slowly opened the letter, a shudder of fear running through her.
She gasped when she saw the content of the letter. Her whole body stiffened as her mouth flew agape.
New updates pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 9:19pm On Jun 20, 2021
ShawttySoFyne:
You're doing well ���
shesawesome:
Nice one op
Thanks loads smiley

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 9:20pm On Jun 20, 2021
Liposure:
Well done
xaviercasmir:
Ooook you got me with the suspense.
Nice work you got here
Thanks tons guys
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 9:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
Chapter 4
"Life is good" or so Esther thought a month ago.
She was a regular student with a regular life and like most of her peers the only problems she had was getting to class on time, finishing assignments, meeting deadlines and studying.
Life was going smoothly for her,she couldn't have asked for more.
"Can't wait to graduate,can't say I'll miss the school life" She had told Anita one day while they were on a leisure stroll
"You'll miss it, trust me. You'll have more responsibilities once you graduate. After NYSC that's when the real struggle begins. Getting a job and all that" Anita said
"Spoken like a true shrewd" Esther laughed "You're right though, I'll miss this" Esther added.
She looked round the vicinity, taking it all in.
She let her mind drift to her first year in the university,away from her parents for the first time, she had complete freedom and was eager to start her university life. She met Anita on the day of registration, they had clicked instantly. Temi and Esosa had joined their clique while they were in 200level. All four of them had been best of friends ever since.
"We've come this far" Anita said, cutting short her nostalgia. Esther had nodded her head in affirmation.
Like every university student Esther encountered challenges,but there was none as challenging as the one she was faced with a week after her stroll with Anita.
The week had began on a good note.
Esther had finally found a great topic to work on for her project also it was Anita's birthday week.
Anita ran into the room excitedly that day, beaming from ear to ear.
"So it's been decided" She grinned
"What?" Esther asked
"My birthday venue, it's at lounge Roulette. Chuks and his friends are organising it. You know how he gets when he's trying to surprise me. He thinks it's a surprise, but I find out about it" Anita chuckled softly
"Yes, surprising is definitely not your boyfriend's strong-suit" Anita punched her playfully on the arm and they shared a laugh
"He's working with Esosa and Temi too. He didn't Include you because he knows parties are not really your scene" Anita winked at her
"Yeah yeah, so can I be excused from attending?" Esther smiled mischievously
"Of course you can mademoiselle" the sarcasm was apparent in Anita's voice, making Esther giggle.
A few days passed and Anita's birthday finally arrived. Esther, Temi and Esosa had woken her up with a surprise birthday package. They bought her a pair of black leather boot she had been craving for ever since she saw it online. Anita couldn't contain her joy, she jumped up and down till she wore herself out.
Anita's birthday party wasn't till evening so all four of them attended a lecture that afternoon. When the lecture was over Esther stayed behind to work on her project, promising to meet up with them in an hour.
"Esther is not here yet?" Anita asked Temi at the birthday venue. They had waited for her at the hostel and Esther hadn't shown up in an hour like she said she would. They all tried calling her number, but it was unreachable. They had been forced to go to the birthday venue without her.
"No she's not here yet, wonder what's keeping her" Temi's brows furrowed
"We shouldn't have left without her" Anita's face turned into a frown
"Hey , she knows the way here, she'll come. It's probably the terrible network in that lecture hall that's preventing our calls from connecting"
Esosa chipped in
"And we all know how much of a party bore she is, so that's most likely why she's taking her time coming" Esosa added
"That's the most logical explanation right there, she's not much into parties" Temi raised an eyebrow and continued "So are we going to start this party or what" She said loudly, attracting the attention of the other students at the venue.
They responded with applauses and whistles to show they approved of Temi's statement.
"All right, say no more. We can start" Anita raised a glass and there was more applauses from the birthday attendees.
Esther arrived a while later, panting
"I'm so sorry I'm late! I can't apologize enough. I lost track of time. I've been running to catch up" Esther said, trying to catch her breath.
"Why did you stay back in class in the first place? when you could have followed us" Anita enquired with a frown
"The WiFi was on and I had to utilize it. I know that's not enough reason to be late so I'm sorry still." Esther made a sad face, but Anita maintained her frown
"You can't be mad at me on your birthday please" Esther batted her lashes, attempting to coax her.
"Why are you still dressed in your class outift anyway?" Anita eyed her
"I came straight from class, you know. Couldn't have gone to the hostel to change. Would have been much later than this and you would have been angrier" Esther curved her lips into a smile
Anita observed her with a straight face for a few minutes then bursted out laughing
"You're right, can't be mad at you on my birthday" Esther's face brightened up as she jumped on Anita, hugging her ecstatically.
"Plus I have my own personal surprise for you, wait for it" Esther dipped her hand in her bag and brought out a wrapped gift
"Wow....." Anita's hand flew to her mouth in disbelief "You shouldn't have, you guys already surprised me with that lovely gift this morning"
"So I should take my gift back then?" Esther gave her a quizzical look
"Aunty be calming down, someone cannot play with you" Anita laughed till her eyes glistened
"Look who the cat finally dragged in" Esosa joined them moments later, holding two plastic cups.
"Better late than never, they say" Esther sticked her tongue out. Esosa mimicked her voice, mocking her.
"I don't even sound like that" Esther's eyes narrowed
"So you think" Esosa replied in a deadpan manner
The background music in the lounge intensified and chuks, Anita's boyfriend came and pulled her away to dance
"Loosen up abeg, let's make it lit" Esosa handed Esther a cup "Don't worry, the content is fruit juice" She smirked mischievously
"Ha-ha, nice try. I know it's not so I'll go get my beloved fruit juice myself" Esther walked away from her and moved to the bar area, she requested for a non alcoholic drink from one of the bar attendants.
He handed her a canned malt drink. She speedily thanked him and turned around to leave.
She returned to the bar for another when the can was empty and she was given another.
"Instead of sitting alone looking like a lost puppy, how about you get up and dance" Temi stood in front of her with a straight face "At least pretend to be enjoying the party, come on" Temi pulled her up from the couch, ignoring her resistance.
Esther caved and they danced till they both got tired.
"I'll go get water" Temi said breathy, she dashed out of sight and came back holding a plastic water.
"You got just one?" Esther asked
"Yes, it was either this or alcohol" Temi stretched her hand out to her "You can have it"
"You better drink up, you look like you'll pass out any minute now, I'll go get water outside for myself" Esther replied
Before Temi could refuse, she walked away from her, returning with a plastic water
"Where did you buy?" Temi enquired
"A good Samaritan gave me on my way out"
Esther answered, she relaxed on the couch and gulped down the water
They were soon joined on the couch by exhausted looking Anita and chuks
"How are my favourite people doing?" Anita asked with a giggle
"Oh, Esther I almost forgot. Bought a pack of non alcoholic drink, specially for you" Chuks told her with a wink. He got up to leave and came back with a pack of chivita.
Esther laughter was resounding "You're too kind" she said with traces of sarcasm in her voice
"You're welcome" He smiled brightly
Temi lowered to take one chivita from the pack and Esther, Anita and Chuks all followed suit, taking one chivita each from the pack.
"Thought you were all too good for juice" Esther rolled her eyes
"We didn't want you feeling alone" Temi answered and they all laughed.
"Shut it" Esther yawned
"I'm ready to dance some more" Temi leaped from the couch and stretched
"You coming?" Anita directed the question to Esther
"Um...." Esther began
Temi gawked at her, daring her to decline
"Okay,one last dance" Esther lazily got up from the couch, with her chivita still in hand.
"Let me have a sip" Anita requested after a while of dancing, Esther gave it to her, she drank and returned it back to Esther.
"I went back to get mine, but everything was all gone. You were wise to hold on to your own" Anita said
"Of course I'm wise. I'm the only sober person in this gathering" They both laughed while they continued dancing.
About ten minutes later Esther started to feel a pang in her head, she blamed it on nodding her head consecutively to the music and asked to be excused. She sat still for twenty minutes, but didn't feel any better, the music sounded louder, piercing her ears. The pang in her head grew into a burning migraine. She winced in pain, holding her head in her hand. She needed to rest her head somewhere comfortable, she needed her bed. She got up from the couch, Almost staggering, her gait was unbalanced as she approached Anita asking to leave.
Anita expressed her disappointment
"You were late and now you're first to leave"
"My head is on a rollercoaster ride right now, I'm sorry. I'll make it up" Esther forced a smile, she needed to bolt as soon as possible.
Anita could see in the almost dim light that Esther looked uncomfortable.
"Are you okay? I'll tell chuks bye and come with you" Anita made a move to leave, but got stopped by Esther.
"I'm fine. It's just the loud music I guess, it's starting to get to me. I bet I'll feel better once I'm outside and breathe in the fresh air. Enjoy your party and don't leave on my account.....I'll see you at the hostel if you manage to get back tonight" Esther tried to chuckle, but failed, the pain in her head galloped. She heard Anita say something,but she was already on her way out.
Outside she was happy to feel the mildly cold breeze on her face, she breathed in and out, basking in the momentary relief it provided her.
Her legs wobbled as she made her way forward.
Everything was starting to spin right in front of her and she felt a strong urge to sleep.
She staggered forward and aimlessly kept walking. Her stride was slow as she could barely keep her balance. She relaxed on a car parked nearby to gather herself before taking a step further. She should have let Anita come with her, she thought as she moved forward.
She felt highly intoxicated, but she hadn't taken any alcohol. Everything was turning to a blur right in front of her and she tried hard to keep her eyes open, but her eyes had a will of their own, they kept shutting against her better judgement. Her brain was starting to fail her too, almost giving in to the drowsiness she was feeling. "Do-n't sl-ee-p" She stammered to herself as she kept moving forward, barely conscious of her environment. From behind her a loud car horn shot right up her ear and into her head, she grimaced, acovering her ears in pain, her head reflexively turned around as the headlights of the car hit her with full force, she staggered backward as she tried to shield her eyes from the blinding light. An overwhelming rush of pain coursed through her and in an instant everything stopped moving as her body gave way to the drowsiness. The feel of the cold hard floor against her body was the last thing she remembered as she collapsed on the floor, blacking out.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 9:25pm On Jun 20, 2021
LisaAnne:
cry no update today?
xoxocandy:
New updates pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Done
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by YTmami(f): 9:27pm On Jun 20, 2021
Taniaa:
Fflwing bumper to bumper
smiley
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by Taniaa(f): 10:19pm On Jun 20, 2021
YTmami:
Chapter 4
"Life is good" or so Esther thought a month ago.
She was a regular student with a regular life and like most of her peers the only problems she had was getting to class on time, finishing assignments, meeting deadlines and studying.
Life was going smoothly for her,she couldn't have asked for more.
"Can't wait to graduate,can't say I'll miss the school life" She had told Anita one day while they were on a leisure stroll
"You'll miss it, trust me. You'll have more responsibilities once you graduate. After NYSC that's when the real struggle begins. Getting a job and all that" Anita said
"Spoken like a true shrewd" Esther laughed "You're right though, I'll miss this" Esther added.
She looked round the vicinity, taking it all in.
She let her mind drift to her first year in the university,away from her parents for the first time, she had complete freedom and was eager to start her university life. She met Anita on the day of registration, they had clicked instantly. Temi and Esosa had joined their clique while they were in 200level. All four of them had been best of friends ever since.
"We've come this far" Anita said, cutting short her nostalgia. Esther had nodded her head in affirmation.
Like every university student Esther encountered challenges,but there was none as challenging as the one she was faced with a week after her stroll with Anita.
The week had began on a good note.
Esther had finally found a great topic to work on for her project also it was Anita's birthday week.
Anita ran into the room excitedly that day, beaming from ear to ear.
"So it's been decided" She grinned
"What?" Esther asked
"My birthday venue, it's at lounge Roulette. Chuks and his friends are organising it. You know how he gets when he's trying to surprise me. He thinks it's a surprise, but I find out about it" Anita chuckled softly
"Yes, surprising is definitely not your boyfriend's strong-suit" Anita punched her playfully on the arm and they shared a laugh
"He's working with Esosa and Temi too. He didn't Include you because he knows parties are not really your scene" Anita winked at her
"Yeah yeah, so can I be excused from attending?" Esther smiled mischievously
"Of course you can mademoiselle" the sarcasm was apparent in Anita's voice, making Esther giggle.
A few days passed and Anita's birthday finally arrived. Esther, Temi and Esosa had woken her up with a surprise birthday package. They bought her a pair of black leather boot she had been craving for ever since she saw it online. Anita couldn't contain her joy, she jumped up and down till she wore herself out.
Anita's birthday party wasn't till evening so all four of them attended a lecture that afternoon. When the lecture was over Esther stayed behind to work on her project, promising to meet up with them in an hour.
"Esther is not here yet?" Anita asked Temi at the birthday venue. They had waited for her at the hostel and Esther hadn't shown up in an hour like she said she would. They all tried calling her number, but it was unreachable. They had been forced to go to the birthday venue without her.
"No she's not here yet, wonder what's keeping her" Temi's brows furrowed
"We shouldn't have left without her" Anita's face turned into a frown
"Hey , she knows the way here, she'll come. It's probably the terrible network in that lecture hall that's preventing our calls from connecting"
Esosa chipped in
"And we all know how much of a party bore she is, so that's most likely why she's taking her time coming" Esosa added
"That's the most logical explanation right there, she's not much into parties" Temi raised an eyebrow and continued "So are we going to start this party or what" She said loudly, attracting the attention of the other students at the venue.
They responded with applauses and whistles to show they approved of Temi's statement.
"All right, say no more. We can start" Anita raised a glass and there was more applauses from the birthday attendees.
Esther arrived a while later, panting
"I'm so sorry I'm late! I can't apologize enough. I lost track of time. I've been running to catch up" Esther said, trying to catch her breath.
"Why did you stay back in class in the first place? when you could have followed us" Anita enquired with a frown
"The WiFi was on and I had to utilize it. I know that's not enough reason to be late so I'm sorry still." Esther made a sad face, but Anita maintained her frown
"You can't be mad at me on your birthday please" Esther batted her lashes, attempting to coax her.
"Why are you still dressed in your class outift anyway?" Anita eyed her
"I came straight from class, you know. Couldn't have gone to the hostel to change. Would have been much later than this and you would have been angrier" Esther curved her lips into a smile
Anita observed her with a straight face for a few minutes then bursted out laughing
"You're right, can't be mad at you on my birthday" Esther's face brightened up as she jumped on Anita, hugging her ecstatically.
"Plus I have my own personal surprise for you, wait for it" Esther dipped her hand in her bag and brought out a wrapped gift
"Wow....." Anita's hand flew to her mouth in disbelief "You shouldn't have, you guys already surprised me with that lovely gift this morning"
"So I should take my gift back then?" Esther gave her a quizzical look
"Aunty be calming down, someone cannot play with you" Anita laughed till her eyes glistened
"Look who the cat finally dragged in" Esosa joined them moments later, holding two plastic cups.
"Better late than never, they say" Esther sticked her tongue out. Esosa mimicked her voice, mocking her.
"I don't even sound like that" Esther's eyes narrowed
"So you think" Esosa replied in a deadpan manner
The background music in the lounge intensified and chuks, Anita's boyfriend came and pulled her away to dance
"Loosen up abeg, let's make it lit" Esosa handed Esther a cup "Don't worry, the content is fruit juice" She smirked mischievously
"Ha-ha, nice try. I know it's not so I'll go get my beloved fruit juice myself" Esther walked away from her and moved to the bar area, she requested for a non alcoholic drink from one of the bar attendants.
He handed her a canned malt drink. She speedily thanked him and turned around to leave.
She returned to the bar for another when the can was empty and she was given another.
"Instead of sitting alone looking like a lost puppy, how about you get up and dance" Temi stood in front of her with a straight face "At least pretend to be enjoying the party, come on" Temi pulled her up from the couch, ignoring her resistance.
Esther caved and they danced till they both got tired.
"I'll go get water" Temi said breathy, she dashed out of sight and came back holding a plastic water.
"You got just one?" Esther asked
"Yes, it was either this or alcohol" Temi stretched her hand out to her "You can have it"
"You better drink up, you look like you'll pass out any minute now, I'll go get water outside for myself" Esther replied
Before Temi could refuse, she walked away from her, returning with a plastic water
"Where did you buy?" Temi enquired
"A good Samaritan gave me on my way out"
Esther answered, she relaxed on the couch and gulped down the water
They were soon joined on the couch by exhausted looking Anita and chuks
"How are my favourite people doing?" Anita asked with a giggle
"Oh, Esther I almost forgot. Bought a pack of non alcoholic drink, specially for you" Chuks told her with a wink. He got up to leave and came back with a pack of chivita.
Esther laughter was resounding "You're too kind" she said with traces of sarcasm in her voice
"You're welcome" He smiled brightly
Temi lowered to take one chivita from the pack and Esther, Anita and Chuks all followed suit, taking one chivita each from the pack.
"Thought you were all too good for juice" Esther rolled her eyes
"We didn't want you feeling alone" Temi answered and they all laughed.
"Shut it" Esther yawned
"I'm ready to dance some more" Temi leaped from the couch and stretched
"You coming?" Anita directed the question to Esther
"Um...." Esther began
Temi gawked at her, daring her to decline
"Okay,one last dance" Esther lazily got up from the couch, with her chivita still in hand.
"Let me have a sip" Anita requested after a while of dancing, Esther gave it to her, she drank and returned it back to Esther.
"I went back to get mine, but everything was all gone. You were wise to hold on to your own" Anita said
"Of course I'm wise. I'm the only sober person in this gathering" They both laughed while they continued dancing.
About ten minutes later Esther started to feel a pang in her head, she blamed it on nodding her head consecutively to the music and asked to be excused. She sat still for twenty minutes, but didn't feel any better, the music sounded louder, piercing her ears. The pang in her head grew into a burning migraine. She winced in pain, holding her head in her hand. She needed to rest her head somewhere comfortable, she needed her bed. She got up from the couch, Almost staggering, her gait was unbalanced as she approached Anita asking to leave.
Anita expressed her disappointment
"You were late and now you're first to leave"
"My head is on a rollercoaster ride right now, I'm sorry. I'll make it up" Esther forced a smile, she needed to bolt as soon as possible.
Anita could see in the almost dim light that Esther looked uncomfortable.
"Are you okay? I'll tell chuks bye and come with you" Anita made a move to leave, but got stopped by Esther.
"I'm fine. It's just the loud music I guess, it's starting to get to me. I bet I'll feel better once I'm outside and breathe in the fresh air. Enjoy your party and don't leave on my account.....I'll see you at the hostel if you manage to get back tonight" Esther tried to chuckle, but failed, the pain in her head galloped. She heard Anita say something,but she was already on her way out.
Outside she was happy to feel the mildly cold breeze on her face, she breathed in and out, basking in the momentary relief it provided her.
Her legs wobbled as she made her way forward.
Everything was starting to spin right in front of her and she felt a strong urge to sleep.
She staggered forward and aimlessly kept walking. Her stride was slow as she could barely keep her balance. She relaxed on a car parked nearby to gather herself before taking a step further. She should have let Anita come with her, she thought as she moved forward.
She felt highly intoxicated, but she hadn't taken any alcohol. Everything was turning to a blur right in front of her and she tried hard to keep her eyes open, but her eyes had a will of their own, they kept shutting against her better judgement. Her brain was starting to fail her too, almost giving in to the drowsiness she was feeling. "Do-n't sl-ee-p" She stammered to herself as she kept moving forward, barely conscious of her environment. From behind her a loud car horn shot right up her ear and into her head, she grimaced, acovering her ears in pain, her head reflexively turned around as the headlights of the car hit her with full force, she staggered backward as she tried to shield her eyes from the blinding light. An overwhelming rush of pain coursed through her and in an instant everything stopped moving as her body gave way to the drowsiness. The feel of the cold hard floor against her body was the last thing she remembered as she collapsed on the floor, blacking out.
Woww
shocked shocked
ride on
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by LisaAnne(f): 10:11am On Jun 21, 2021
YTmami:
Done
seen grin
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by xoxocandy(f): 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2021
YTmami:
Done
Kindly update the next chapter
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by xoxocandy(f): 1:33pm On Jun 21, 2021
YTmami:
Done
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by shesawesome(f): 9:16pm On Jun 21, 2021
xoxocandy:
Pls oh
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by shesawesome(f): 9:17pm On Jun 21, 2021
YTmami:
Thanks loads smiley
Welcome

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by xoxocandy(f): 10:28am On Jun 22, 2021
shesawesome:
Pls oh
I don't understand this.....
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by shesawesome(f): 11:41am On Jun 22, 2021
xoxocandy:
I don't understand this.....
Ok.I was jst referring to the update you mentioned earlier on
Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by xoxocandy(f): 12:02pm On Jun 22, 2021
shesawesome:
Ok.I was jst referring to the update you mentioned earlier on
Alright.

1 Like

Re: A BEAUTIFUL FOE by ShawttySoFyne(f): 1:53pm On Jun 22, 2021
YTmami:
Thanks loads smiley
No probs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

​Where Is The Third Answer?- A Review Of Juliana Olayode's (Toyo's) 'Rebirth' / Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' / Mary Apocalypse Rise of Titans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.