Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,148 members, 7,807,476 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars (683 Views)

While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars / Farooq Kperogi: Nigerians Fight For God But Can’t Fight For Themselves / Protest Looms In Imo Over Cattle Ranching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by KRSWon: 10:22am On Jun 16, 2021
A news report I saw this morning incensed me. It was the news about Fulani herders
threatening to attack cities in Delta State if the governor does not rescind his ban on open grazing. At the same time, ironically, I was reading a New York Times story about the nerds in Silicon Valley are working to put cars in the air.

The states of the progress of two countries have never been this clearly stated. Or it has always been this glaring but we as a people have attained a level of incompetence that is shamelessness. We are no longer ashamed of the rubbish littered on the floor of our commonwealth.

It takes a secured man, a well-fed man, and an empowered person to be ashamed. So, if we are no longer ashamed and knowing the danger of un-ashemedness, there is a need for selected times when we can pretend to be ashamed.

When I saw the threat of attacking human beings and properties over the mode of what cows would eat, my anger was a frustrated one in the predictable sense that I am helpless. Fulani herdsmen can attack Delta State and I can do nothing about it, and nothing would happen.

The president, a Fulani himself, has come out to defend open grazing and said that farmers who lay claim of these 1960s “routes” should be summoned to defend their claims. Imagine an Isikwato man appearing in a council to defend the claims of his ancestral land with a northerner who needs the land to feed animals.

I can’t help it. Buhari is the commander-in-chief and the police and the army are under his command. Even state governors have no control over the security apparatus within their jurisdiction. If Fulani herdsmen want to take my land, my primary concern would be my life.

But the flying cars news piqued my occasional shame arsenal (it is not bad grammar, I have a shame arsenal that only comes out occasionally as my mental health permits). The flying cars piece made me put the incessant stories of what cows will eat side by side each other.

How do you carry a man with a broken waist? inquires an Igbo adage. How do you analyze the progress of a country that has chosen to remain backward and proud about it? Buhari’s regime banned bitcoin, and then
banned Twitter because one man was embarrassed when his tweet was deleted.
There are hundreds of thousands of Nigerians (or more) who trade bitcoin.

There are tens of millions of Nigeria who use Twitter. Twitter has gone beyond a social media platform. It is a platform for finding missing persons, for getting readdresses against police brutalities and other official abuses, for crowdfunding for health and for business, for news, for employment, for campaigns, for influencers marketing, and as a source of leads generation for businesses. Etc.

But we lost all these, albeit legally because one man’s ego was bruised.

So while we are banning cryptos, social media, and slicing open our farmlands in order to accommodate beasts, oyigbo people will soon put flying cars above skyscrapers. And no, it is no helicopter. These flying cars would not be noisy nor require a special field to land. You can still park your flying car in your garage.

Is Nigeria ready for this? Of course no. How many Nigerian leaders and those who are positioning themselves to rule in 2023 will be here in 30 years’ time? Are you not being sinister expecting our grandpas to think of a time when they are no more? Is it even African to expect people to make provisions for their death?

We are not even prepared for the onslaught electric cars would have on our livelihood as a nation; it is, thus, grossly farfetched to expect us to have the capacity to comprehend the need for a flying car. If these flying cars that white people are hustling to build would benefit cows, Nigerian ruling hegemony might be more interested.

It is technology, it is a new way of doing things, and it is not in any First Republic Gazette, how then do we sell it to Nigerians? What we don’t comprehend, we ignore, and sometimes we kill. Ignoring this news item might be the easy way for many Nigerians, even you (especially you), would be the easy way out.

But I refuse to allow it. Countries are running at aircraft speed and we are moving on a rickety bicycle with cattle impeding traffic. We need to have some shame. This is me bringing the shame right to your phone.

https://www.anaedoonline.ng/2021/06/14/flying-cars/
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by KRSWon: 10:27am On Jun 16, 2021
South Korea is also developing flying cars:

South Korea plans to test FLYING CARS as soon as 2025 as it announces £1.1billion investment in electric and self-driving vehicles 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7574121/Hyundai-Motor-Group-invest-35-billion-future-automotive-tech.html

Hyundai Confident on Flying Cars, Steps Up Plans for Full Lineup
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-05/hyundai-confident-on-flying-cars-steps-up-plans-for-full-lineup
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 16, 2021
You have forgotten it was the west that joined us together and it was our slavery and colonization that got them were they are today...

The west are not better than us they fight each other too e.g World war 1&2...that flying car will likely be used to drop bombs in the future...

My point is stop judging Nigeria using foreign scales
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by RisenJoe(m): 10:44am On Jun 16, 2021
LordVoldermort:
You have forgotten it was the west that joined us together and it was our slavery and colonization that got them were they are today...

The west are not better than us they fight each other too e.g World war 1&2...that flying car will likely be used to drop bombs in the future...

Mediocrity.....

Was African the only continent that was sold into slavery and colonized? Ordinary health care your leaders are still traveling abroad for, is it flying cars that they will now invest in?
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by KRSWon: 10:44am On Jun 16, 2021
LordVoldermort:

But the likes of Japan and South Korea are also at the forefront of this technology.

What did they gain from Nigeria?
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 16, 2021
RisenJoe:

Mediocrity.....

Was African the only continent that was sold into slavery and colonized?
Ordinaryy health care your leaders are still traveling abroad for, is it flying cars that they will now invest in?

The answer is Yes, unless if you add the middle East which is problematic, some problems are more complex than they appear
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 16, 2021
KRSWon:

But the likes of Japan and South Korea are also at the forefront of this technology.

What did they gain from Nigeria?
If you study the companies behind it you'll see it is mostly Western companies in Japan and S.Korea that are pushing the technology
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by KRSWon: 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2021
LordVoldermort:

If you study the companies behind it you'll see it is mostly Western companies in Japan and S.Korea that are pushing the technology

Neither Hyundai nor Toyota are Western companies.
Re: Op-ed: While Nigerians Fight Over Cattle, The West Is Building Flying Cars by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 16, 2021
KRSWon:

Neither Hyundai nor Toyota are Western companies.
I said most not all, Hyuandai and Toyota were made in partnership with western companies

Just because a car is made in Japan doesn't mean all it's parts were made there

(1) (Reply)

US Shuns Nigeria - Finances Vaccine Production In South Africa With €600 Million / Photostory: Kano Hisbah Says No To Mannequins / Edwin Clark Should Learn From Gowon & Fate of North Christians Who Fought Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.