Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel (2881 Views)

''Jesus' Holiness, Saint Daniel MyeriJesu'' (A Reverend's Change Of Name) / Paying Tithe Has A Way To Unlock An Unusual Doors Of Prosperity. / Random And Crazy Posters Of The Prosperity Gospel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by babalobi(m): 12:44pm On May 05, 2011
Sentimental Gospel is the type of gospel that appeals to the audience feelings and emotions. It is the type of gospel that places emphasis on physical, material, financial, and marital prosperity, but absolutely void of convicting the congregation of sin and the need for urgent repentance.
It is the type of gospel being preached by modern day pastors today. As a matter of fact, thousands of pastors have been made millionaires as a result of their focus on this aspect of gospel.
They would preach about healing, prosperity, love, having a positive mindset, casting out demons, deliverance, and so on. They would tell their congregations that God love them no matter what, they would crack jokes and everyone is made to laugh throughout entire church service. Week after week, month after month, year after year: no messages on holiness, nothing is said about God’s impending judgment on sin, no mention of the need for women to dress appropriately, no emphasis on living a life of righteousness and godliness. What a shame!

Dearly beloved, if you attend a church that doesn’t challenge you to live a holy life, then you are in the wrong church. The building might look gigantic with custom made musical instruments and equipment. The pastor might appear very loving and charismatic; the members might look friendly and caring: yet you know that something is missing. You know that the messages haven’t helped you a bit to change your sinful lifestyle. You still live and dine in adultery, sexual immorality, hatred, evil thoughts and deeds, abortions, gossiping and so on.
Yet you feel comfortable in that church because your pastor, bishop, reverend or whatever he is called never mentioned those things. Of course, how can he preach on divorce when he himself is divorce? How can he preach on adultery when he is life is ravaged with lust for other women? You need to think twice if you really want to make it to Heaven on the last day.

I am reminded of the beloved Billy Graham who preached nothing but salvation from sin. His messages cut through the hearts of thousands of people on a global scale and many have been brought to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. Sometimes, when I watched some of his classic messages I breakdown in tears and have to go on my knees for deeper recommitment to God.
That’s what I am talking about. That’s the kind of pastor and evangelist you want to be affiliated with. But guess what, pastors like that are very, very difficult to find. Churches like his are very difficult to find. Now, what is the danger of sentimental gospel? What is so wrong with preaching sentimental gospel?

Is it wrong to preach about healing, prosperity, love, having a positive mindset, casting out demons, and deliverance? Absolutely not! You see, the preachers of sentimental gospel tend to put the cart before the horse. They strip out the core or the center of God ultimate requirement: Holiness. The Bible explicitly and implicitly says “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14).
Think about it and provide reasonable answers to these questions. Will your financial, material, marital, and academic prosperity take you to Heaven? Will you get to Heaven because you are healed or in the healing ministry? Can you get to Heaven because you are a positive thinker? Can you get to Heaven because you are a demon caster? Will you get to Heaven because you are a deliverance minister?

Read up this article @ http://christonline./2008/06/03/holiness-and-the-danger-of-prosperity-gospel/
Visit http://christonline.info for sermons and prayer points
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by lonelydude: 8:59pm On May 05, 2011
You are right.

But I notice that the holiness is usually preached more during the weekly sunday schools and bible study. Talking about RCCG and MFM.
Deeper Life, however preaches holiness always.

Don't know about the rest.

The most important thing, however, is your personal relationship with God. Reading books on holiness and the Holy Spirit will help out.
Also, you can visit www.divinerevelations.info to keep reminding yourself that heaven and hell are real and that rapture is imminent.

Bless you.
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:08am On May 06, 2011
babalobi:

I am reminded of the beloved Billy Graham who preached nothing but salvation from sin. His messages cut through the hearts of thousands of people on a global scale and many have been brought to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. Sometimes, when I watched some of his classic messages I breakdown in tears and have to go on my knees for deeper recommitment to God.
That’s what I am talking about. That’s the kind of pastor and evangelist you want to be affiliated with. But guess what, pastors like that are very, very difficult to find. Churches like his are very difficult to find. Now, what is the danger of sentimental gospel? What is so wrong with preaching sentimental gospel?

My brother, even the likes of Billy Graham and Joel Osteen are now singing a different song.  They no longer believe that Jesus is the only way to God.  Let us watch and pray for "he that thinketh he standeth must take heed lest he falls" we are now in the last days.  He that endures to the end shall be saved.
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by Joagbaje(m): 11:23am On May 06, 2011
^^^
. I find it hard to believe they can say that. is there any proof or link to this claim?
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by Tonyet1(m): 11:44am On May 06, 2011
babalobi:

Sentimental Gospel is the type of gospel that appeals to the audience feelings and emotions. It is the type of gospel that places emphasis on physical, material, financial, and marital prosperity, but absolutely void of convicting the congregation of sin and the need for urgent repentance.
It is the type of gospel being preached by modern day pastors today. As a matter of fact, thousands of pastors have been made millionaires as a result of their focus on this aspect of gospel.
They would preach about healing, prosperity, love, having a positive mindset, casting out demons, deliverance, and so on. They would tell their congregations that God love them no matter what, they would crack jokes and everyone is made to laugh throughout entire church service. Week after week, month after month, year after year: no messages on holiness, nothing is said about God’s impending judgment on sin, no mention of the need for women to dress appropriately, no emphasis on living a life of righteousness and godliness. What a shame!

Dearly beloved, if you attend a church that doesn’t challenge you to live a holy life, then you are in the wrong church. The building might look gigantic with custom made musical instruments and equipment. The pastor might appear very loving and charismatic; the members might look friendly and caring: yet you know that something is missing. You know that the messages haven’t helped you a bit to change your sinful lifestyle. You still live and dine in adultery, sexual immorality, hatred, evil thoughts and deeds, abortions, gossiping and so on.
Yet you feel comfortable in that church because your pastor, bishop, reverend or whatever he is called never mentioned those things. Of course, how can he preach on divorce when he himself is divorce? How can he preach on adultery when he is life is ravaged with lust for other women? You need to think twice if you really want to make it to Heaven on the last day.

Is it wrong to preach about healing, prosperity, love, having a positive mindset, casting out demons, and deliverance? Absolutely not! You see, the preachers of sentimental gospel tend to put the cart before the horse. They strip out the core or the center of God ultimate requirement: Holiness. The Bible explicitly and implicitly says “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14).
Think about it and provide reasonable answers to these questions. Will your financial, material, marital, and academic prosperity take you to Heaven? Will you get to Heaven because you are healed or in the healing ministry? Can you get to Heaven because you are a positive thinker? Can you get to Heaven because you are a demon caster? Will you get to Heaven because you are a deliverance minister?

Read up this article @ http://christonline./2008/06/03/holiness-and-the-danger-of-prosperity-gospel/
Visit http://christonline.info for sermons and prayer points

@ OP,

As much as I love the tone of your exhortation, i kindly bessech you to explain what you understand by holiness because I am being compelled to deduce that you take holiness to mean the act of preaching God's impending judgment on sin and the need for urgent repentance.

pls explain?
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09pm On May 06, 2011
Joagbaje:

^^^
. I find it hard to believe they can say that. is there any proof or link to this claim?

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxlXy6bLH0?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxlXy6bLH0&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLJT73j6MQ&NR=1

"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.  But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 10:32-33).

As many has been blessed by this man should endeavour to pray for him and themselves.
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:06pm On May 07, 2011
Joel Osteen Denies Jesus As the Only way to get to heaven.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsdkqd1GcfA?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27pm On May 07, 2011
And guess what Benny Hinn had to say about it?

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO4SMhDLyPY&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3[/flash]
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:38pm On May 07, 2011
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:55pm On May 07, 2011
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by Joagbaje(m): 4:13pm On May 07, 2011
@OLAADEGBU

Thanks for the links, it should motivate one to interceed. they are still our brethren.God will grant them greater light.
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by PastorAIO: 4:18pm On May 07, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxlXy6bLH0?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxlXy6bLH0&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLJT73j6MQ&NR=1

"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.  But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 10:32-33).

As many has been blessed by this man should endeavour to pray for him and themselves.

I am with Billy Graham on this 100%.

Christ is not a Theory. Meeting Christ is a full experience that goes beyond anything that you can theorize about or formulate into any theory, doctrine or creed.
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by Joagbaje(m): 4:49pm On May 07, 2011
what of the part where he said "All of them are in the kingdom of God"
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by EarsWide(m): 4:51pm On May 07, 2011
@Olaadegbu

I will be careful about Benny Hinn - he is a bit dodgy. Look at this video of him 'healing' with his coat:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9U_lWmAsYM&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by PastorAIO: 5:50pm On May 07, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

[size=15pt]21 Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?"
23 And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."[/size]
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by mabell: 7:00pm On May 07, 2011
EarsWide:

@Olaadegbu

I will be careful about Benny Hinn - he is a bit dodgy. Look at this video of him 'healing' with his coat:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9U_lWmAsYM&feature=related[/flash]

@Earswide,
and so what?
What about Paul, did he not heal people with handkerchief from his body and what about Peter, were people not healed by his shadow falling on them
The anointing of God can fall on anybody or anything and can be used
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:01am On May 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

@OLAADEGBU

Thanks for the links, it should motivate one to interceed. they are still our brethren.God will grant them greater light.

I already said that both they and their hearers should be interceeded for. Can you imagine the multitudes that will end up in hell because of this influence? I even saw a poster by a so called man of God showing some qur'anic verses alongside a RCC crucifixion and multitudes are flocking there for miracles.
Re: Holiness And The Danger Of Prosperity Gospel by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:06am On May 09, 2011
Pastor AIO:

I am with Billy Graham on this 100%.

Christ is not a Theory. Meeting Christ is a full experience that goes beyond anything that you can theorize about or formulate into any theory, doctrine or creed.

You may be with BG, TDJ, RCC or JO on this but that does not cancel the fact that there is no other name under heaven given among men where we will be saved. It is true that Christ is not a theory but it depend on what you mean by Christ. Jesus Christ is not a concept either He is the Truth personified.

(1) (Reply)

Is Jehovah A Former Pagan Deity? / The Power Of Atheists! / Don Jazzy Got The Champagne That Costs N250 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.