Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad (21534 Views)

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 / Need Your Advice: Start Afresh in HR Or Continue with Career in Finance / Can I Combine Studying Medicine, Surgery And Work At The Same Time ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 22, 2021
First that lecturer lied. The pay abroad is better especially in US, UK, Canada, Australia, even Trinidad and Tobago. 2nd, if you have the money and means go and study abroad. If you decide to go to the US or UK you'll have to write their licensing exams, same way anyone who didn't study in Nigeria will have to write our own exams even if they studied in better countries like the ones I've mentioned above. So that guy that said they don't trust our certificates doesn't know what he's saying. Even in Law and other fields you must write the licensing exam if you go to any country where you didn't train.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by worldclass68(m): 5:11pm On Jun 22, 2021
Even the docs here re trying to japa.......

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by drey076(m): 5:11pm On Jun 22, 2021
please, stop bringing Nigeria and Europe into the same sentence

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by JubrinElSudan: 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2021
Hmmm. How many years is medicine in the Eastern Europe school? With your 3 years experience, you will be more knowledgeable than some of your new course mates over there and may end up graduating top of your class. Many Nigerian doctors are still migrating and practicing abroad with Nigerian certificate, so certificate recognition shouldn't be an issue. I would have said finish your course here and migrate later(but no one knows where the country is heading to ) so just migrate now

9 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by atobs4real(m): 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2021
Before nko. Sharperly travel abroad and study your medicine course

3 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by ofiko123(m): 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2021
Do what you feel like...

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Oracleforce: 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
Dear doctors in the house, I'm a third year medical student in a Nigerian university, I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.
My major reason for accepting the offer is the fact that I'm scared that I won't be able to practice (or it would be very difficult) to practice in the country of my choice because I heard Nigerian certificates arent held with high regards compared to others from European countries
I just want to know if it's possible to practice somewhere else after completing my studies here with a Nigerian degree

There are better facilities abroad than nonsense facilities in our University Teaching Hospital...
Japa, if you have enough money to study medicine abroad and stay if you are not financially buoyant...

Anyway, the choice is yours...

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by melodyogonna(m): 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Thank you very much for your answer sir

The cost is pretty much settled and by the grace of God that wont be an issue
The only thing hindering me is the fact that I'll have to waste the 3 years spent here
So I want to be sure its was worth it
I met a consultant here in my school that advised me against it, telling me doctors are better paid and treated here in nigeria than the countries people go to.

But from your answer you say it's easier for medical doctors that studied abroad to secure jobs abroad
So it's significantly harder for doctors that studied in Nigeria to secure jobs abroad?

�thank you very much for your response
I'm not a doctor but I don't think 3 years is that much of a big deal, your experience will likely even be an advantage. Anybody that likes you would offer the same advice - migrate.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Emulti(m): 5:13pm On Jun 22, 2021
Finish your studies here and migrate if you still have the interest.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by harmony75: 5:13pm On Jun 22, 2021
This you have got the offer already go abroad to cont. Make good use of the opportunity, all the best �
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by AmeLonRo(m): 5:13pm On Jun 22, 2021
This is one of those good questions I answer on my YouTube channel.

I think you should travel and start afresh in Europe. You will have the advantage that you have studied the course for 3 years already and so you should or will be ahead of the class.

See how to become a medical doctor here>>>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zss8XG0Oq9o .

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by nedekid: 5:14pm On Jun 22, 2021
My kid sister years ago was in lasu studying econs, in her 3rd year.
She relocated to UK and started law from 100level and graduated before her peers in lasu grin
Best decision she ever made.
My friend, any opportunity to get out of the hell hole, grab it!

13 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Mrbenny001: 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2021
With the rigor you went through for those 2 yrs + the knowledge you already have in medicine..you might be one of the best if you Japa go Europe and Start afresh

4 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by olibeans: 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2021
You talk like say your village people hold you for work.

Better leave this God forsaken and cursed country and start all over again.

It will be worth it and worthwhile..

I will not even wish my enemy to live in this shithole of a place

4 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by KillamanJoe: 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2021
Brother, the three years of your life is not wasted. You have started the learning process. Kindly relocate to the country and start all over because you will still have to write exams to practice in these countires. Also, Doctors are not well treated in Nigeria, in fact, i cant think of countries that treat them worse than Nigeria. Better use that big Brain that God gave you and chose wisely. May your days be long.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Nicoddemus(m): 5:16pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
Dear doctors in the house, I'm a third year medical student in a nigerian university, I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.
My major reason for accepting the offer is the fact that I'm scared that I wont be able to practice (or it would be very difficult) to practice in the country of my choice, because I heard nigerian certificates arent held with high regards compared to others from European countries
I just want to know if it's possible to practice somewhere else after completing my studies here with a nigerian degree

The money and time you've spent will mean nothing in the long run. Just leave the country immediately

4 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Elsueno: 5:17pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
Dear doctors in the house, I'm a third year medical student in a nigerian university, I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.
My major reason for accepting the offer is the fact that I'm scared that I wont be able to practice (or it would be very difficult) to practice in the country of my choice, because I heard nigerian certificates arent held with high regards compared to others from European countries
I just want to know if it's possible to practice somewhere else after completing my studies here with a nigerian degree

Doc....u didn't hear ASUU are planning another strike abi, Thier is even a high possibility u will graduate b4 ur mates here

4 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by InvertedHammer: 5:17pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
/
Finish your medical degree in Nigeria...then move.
Once you graduate, Eastern Europe will not be your only option. Your degree from Nigeria is as good as or even better than a degree from those countries if you plan to migrate to Canada, UK or US considering that you will definitely not be taught in English.

If anything happens, at least you have your degree to fall back on. Having many options in life is the way to go.

People do not understand the huge difference between life in Eastern and Western Europe. All they see is Europe! grin

/

9 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Donbaino: 5:17pm On Jun 22, 2021
That your doctor consultant is wicked to have sold you that lie.

Please take the offer in Europe and in the next seven to ten years come back here to share your testimony.

And no - your three years here is not a waste. At least your freshman year and maybe the subsequent year in medical school there would not be so tough.

I wish you all the best.

matt97367:

Thank you very much for your answer sir

The cost is pretty much settled and by the grace of God that wont be an issue
The only thing hindering me is the fact that I'll have to waste the 3 years spent here
So I want to be sure its was worth it
I met a consultant here in my school that advised me against it, telling me doctors are better paid and treated here in nigeria than the countries people go to.

But from your answer you say it's easier for medical doctors that studied abroad to secure jobs abroad
So it's significantly harder for doctors that studied in Nigeria to secure jobs abroad?

�thank you very much for your response
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Obakashdee(m): 5:18pm On Jun 22, 2021
Eastern Europe? Which country? All those Eastern Europe get as e be jare but e better pass Nigeria oo

5 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by juman(m): 5:19pm On Jun 22, 2021
Please complete your study in nigeria.
Your certificate is valuable.

Starting all over again in east europe is not sensible.
If you do that you will regret it.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Ilekokonit: 5:19pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.

Bear in mind that some of the Eastern Europe Medical courses are not in English language but in their own language which you will have to learn first before you can start the course and some of these languages are not easy to learn.

Why not do your due diligence online to hear from Nigerians who have made the exact same move about their experiences. You may be in for a shocker.

Eastern Europe is different from Western Europe including racism and economy wise and with Brexit, things are not exactly the same as 2 years ago.

Good luck.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by jansonn(m): 5:20pm On Jun 22, 2021
Bro!! I'm also a medical student with few friends studying in Europe. It's a two way thing sha, it largely depends on the country you're going to study, whether you'd get a license to practise after you're done or not. Like Ukraine, you can't practise because of language barriers and others so you'd have to return to your country and trust me, mdcn exam no too easy to pass so .. studying in Nigeria has its advantages too, you go know "stuff" seriously. They may say naija na scam and all oo but naija medical school is a field that prepares you to practise medicine anywhere in the world. I'm in clinicals so I can say so for sure. Please, do just run to any mushroom country in Europe to study medicine oo, your best bet might be to come back to Nigeria after you're done so... If I'm to advice as a senior colleague, just finish this MBBS here, you're almost done. The only issue that lies before you now is path and pharm, after that you're already a doctor so... After you finish, you can confidently seat for any licensing exam and be sure you'd do well. But then, if you don't intend to practise medicine, you're just looking for survival then I'd suggest you japa sharply. I just hope I passed my message well. Good luck bro

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by wolfenstein(m): 5:20pm On Jun 22, 2021
See question o, does this need thinking? Guy 9ja is finished for now...

Moveeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by TCD: 5:22pm On Jun 22, 2021
OP dont be silly.

Listen to doctors in the profession and not non-medical people who know nothing about the field .

Finish your medschool in nigeria and you can migrate anywhere as long as your school is recognised.

All you need to do is write whatever licencing exam in your chosen country.

Eastern europe is possibly ukraine, georgia russia or one of those countries. Even if you want to practice in uk, canada or US with the certificate you will stil write the same licencing exam grad from nigeria or any other country writes before you can be licensed to practice.

So why waste three years of your life.

12 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by juman(m): 5:23pm On Jun 22, 2021
Nigerian doctor certificate is valuable.
Dont you read during corona how many nigerian doctors were hired by united kingdom.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by richboy01(m): 5:24pm On Jun 22, 2021
Oga pack ur bags and go the wise elders have spoken

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by kelechiodo(m): 5:25pm On Jun 22, 2021
Op listen to Jansonn. He gave u the best answer.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 22, 2021
If the European country is Ukraine dont go o

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by georgeakins: 5:25pm On Jun 22, 2021
Stupid questions everyday. If you have the resources to study in Europe, you won't come here seeking advice from people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Your MBBS Is Not BMLS, Doctors Steer Clear Of The Lab!!! / ''Your Job Can Make You Impotent'' / How Much Do Models Earn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.