Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,426 members, 7,808,523 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad (21569 Views)

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 / Need Your Advice: Start Afresh in HR Or Continue with Career in Finance / Can I Combine Studying Medicine, Surgery And Work At The Same Time ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Tadeus(m): 5:26pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Thank you very much for your answer sir

The cost is pretty much settled and by the grace of God that wont be an issue
The only thing hindering me is the fact that I'll have to waste the 3 years spent here
So I want to be sure its was worth it
I met a consultant here in my school that advised me against it, telling me doctors are better paid and treated here in nigeria than the countries people go to.

But from your answer you say it's easier for medical doctors that studied abroad to secure jobs abroad
So it's significantly harder for doctors that studied in Nigeria to secure jobs abroad?

�thank you very much for your response

It's better to let go of the 3 years and move on with your life. My little bro finished in medical school in eboyin state University in 2015, he stayed at home for 3years until we paid 200k to a lecturer in the school before they includes his name on the housemanship list in 2018. After the housemanship, they told him to bring 2.5m for a job slot in UCH. These are my personal experience because I'm the one that financed everything. Please go, we are too greedy and wicked people in Nigeria . The system has failed everyone of us. Please go, don't waste another 4years on acquiring a certificate that's is not valid if you don't have money to sort.

My advice

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Commentor: 5:26pm On Jun 22, 2021
Grace001:
Japa now that you can.. Because even after you finally graduate from that medicine here in Nigeria you will still later want to japa because of the situation of Nigeria.

So the difference is that you postpone your japa time
grin

All of you telling him to Japa, last last na chemist go dey treat una.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by LordErrk: 5:28pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
Dear doctors in the house, I'm a third year medical student in a nigerian university, I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.
My major reason for accepting the offer is the fact that I'm scared that I wont be able to practice (or it would be very difficult) to practice in the country of my choice, because I heard nigerian certificates arent held with high regards compared to others from European countries
I just want to know if it's possible to practice somewhere else after completing my studies here with a nigerian degree

It depends on the university you're studying at in Nigeria, and the school you want to go to in Europe. Some European universities are so bad that they are not even recognised in Nigeria. So please do your research. Compare and contrast

5 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Rexnegro(m): 5:29pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
Dear doctors in the house, I'm a third year medical student in a nigerian university, I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.
My major reason for accepting the offer is the fact that I'm scared that I wont be able to practice (or it would be very difficult) to practice in the country of my choice, because I heard nigerian certificates arent held with high regards compared to others from European countries
I just want to know if it's possible to practice somewhere else after completing my studies here with a nigerian degree
if nothing is stopping you to go abroad and study it Omo go abroad asap to start it there o. Except u want be quack doctor at the end lol
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by odogwunaija(m): 5:29pm On Jun 22, 2021
By Eastern Europe I believe u mean Ukraine or Cyprus(others like Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Romania, etc....I don't want to go there). Medicine in Nigeria is far better than in these countries( I know what I'm saying) and Nigerian doctors are valued/rated more than those from these countries. Only thing is that their academic system is stable (no strikes). I can't decide for u though, but if I were u I would study in 9ja and practice anywhere I want in the world (after housemanship and nysc)

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Commentor: 5:31pm On Jun 22, 2021
jansonn:
Bro!! I'm also a medical student with few friends studying in Europe. It's a two way thing sha, it largely depends on the country you're going to study, whether you'd get a license to practise after you're done or not. Like Ukraine, you can't practise because of language barriers and others so you'd have to return to your country and trust me, mdcn exam no too easy to pass so .. studying in Nigeria has its advantages too, you go know "stuff" seriously. They may say naija na scam and all oo but naija medical school is a field that prepares you to practise medicine anywhere in the world. I'm in clinicals so I can say so for sure. Please, do just run to any mushroom country in Europe to study medicine oo, your best bet might be to come back to Nigeria after you're done so... If I'm to advice as a senior colleague, just finish this MBBS here, you're almost done. The only issue that lies before you now is path and pharm, after that you're already a doctor so... After you finish, you can confidently seat for any licensing exam and be sure you'd do well. But then, if you don't intend to practise medicine, you're just looking for survival then I'd suggest you japa sharply. I just hope I passed my message well. Good luck bro

Best message so far.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Tobechuckwu(m): 5:31pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Year 3 in medicine isn't that much bcuz u actually start real stuffs from year 4 upwards.
But ensure u are going to a very sound country when it's come to medical line.
Germany is very good, Canada nd US are top 3 when it's comes to medical field for me.
If u have a sponsor already , go for it now.
Ensure u ask God first for His choice for u.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 22, 2021
I don't think it's a good idea for you to abandon your studies. You'r almost done. Why not finish first before exploring options abroad. You can first of all begin by being licensed to practice in Nigeria, then apply abroad either for a masters program ( as a stepping stone) or a residency program in a country that allows .
In all, I don't think it's a good idea for you to leave at this time; get your certificate and license first before expiring options abroad. A bird at hand is worth two in the bush.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by heyzedd(m): 5:34pm On Jun 22, 2021
Pls if you know any Nigeria Student going for their undergraduate/postgraduate/Masters/PhD abroad by July/August.. Pls I will be very happy If you/they contact me through this mail azeeztijani3@gmail.com .. I really need to make an enquiry/question from them..
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by murphyibiam15(m): 5:35pm On Jun 22, 2021
viyon02:
To be frank with you, better escape to Europe and start all over again, your certificate will be highly valued at any part of the world.
He said Eastern Europe which is either Russia or Ukraine which is not accepted elsewhere in Europe

Western Europe like UK, Germany is different from Eastern Europe oo, he will still be needed to come back to his country of origin after studies and they're not regarded as much, we have some of them here in Nigeria who can't practice outside like their counterparts who studied in Nigeria
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by bolaji1023(f): 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2021
op,the cheapest way is to complete your studies in Nigeria then you can write medical licensing exams like UK PLAB, AUSTRALIAN AMC, USMLE FOR USA. The cheapest, fastest,and easiest route is UK.You can write PLAB during or after housemanship
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Cmanforall: 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
First, can you comfortably fund your studies in Europe without much stress on you (surviving by work)?
Because the course will be demanding and you may not have much time(except on holidays) to work.

Which University/country is it in Europe?

This can help to advice you further professionally
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Wapchrist1(m): 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2021
Possiblevisa:
100% visa application guaranteed 10 SLOTS AVAILABLE HURRY NOW AND CALL 090:36:72:06:99 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
This is an opportunity to apply for Two years U.S.A, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, SOUTH KOREA and any other country working visa; for both
Family and single packages.
Note : NO DOWN PAYMENT UNTIL visa IS OUT AND Payment must be made immediately your visa and employment letter is out. PLEASE ONLY INTERESTED PERSONS CAN CONTACT/WHATSAPP US ON 090:36:72:06:99
Are you real so how much for study visa to Canada
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by murphyibiam15(m): 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2021
viyon02:
To be frank with you, better escape to Europe and start all over again, your certificate will be highly valued at any part of the world.
He said Eastern Europe which is either Russia or Ukraine which is not accepted elsewhere in Europe

Western Europe like UK, Germany is different from Eastern Europe oo, he will still be needed to come back to his country of origin after studies and they're not regarded as much, we have some of them here in Nigeria who can't practice outside like their counterparts who studied in Nigeria
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by murphyibiam15(m): 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2021
Bola146:
Please abroad straight........ wink wink

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Mtmike(m): 5:37pm On Jun 22, 2021
Sit down there o, 10years you never finish
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by murphyibiam15(m): 5:37pm On Jun 22, 2021
Afriqan:

Well, I have a few doctors on my list who are currently learning German from me. One of the issues they face is that they have to do a licencing exam, same thing for Canada, but if u study in Europe, it gives you preference in the European market for job positions. So u have to know that if you plan to migrate to US or Canada later, you still have to write the same medical licencing exam as a Nigerian. But within EU, you'd have an advantage.

The doctor who also gave you an advice is not wrong too but ultimately nobody can tell you where and how to live cos fulfilment is a personal thing... So it's your choice man. Good luck.

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by neonly: 5:38pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

I don't need to read mbok japa straight
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by murphyibiam15(m): 5:38pm On Jun 22, 2021
Doggedseller:
Ok..... I think you should finish first....

My first question will be which country?

Had an experience recently in a teaching hospital, I was seen by a house officer and referred to another unit. The resident doctor i met told me it was a wrong diagnosis, and then he said, 'na all these Ukraine trained doctors '
Exactly, na Ukraine people, Nigerian trained doctors use them to catch cruise bc them no sabi anything

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by murphyibiam15(m): 5:39pm On Jun 22, 2021
Grace001:
Japa now that you can.. Because even after you finally graduate from that medicine here in Nigeria you will still later want to japa because of the situation of Nigeria.

So the difference is that you postpone your japa time
He will still need to come back to his country of origin after graduation, na normal for all these Eastern Europe like Ukraine and Russia. Lmao
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Babitee1(f): 5:39pm On Jun 22, 2021
Go abroad please. I missed this opportunity few years ago and I still regret it till today. The money and everything was available then but I declined. I already finished school then and the next year I got an opportunity to go and start same course afresh abroad but I declined due to some reasons. Now that I hungry for the opportunity,age is not on my side anymore and there is no money for that too anymore. Your own is good because you are still an undergraduate and you have not gone far with your medical course so it’s easy for you to still go and start another school afresh.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by murphyibiam15(m): 5:40pm On Jun 22, 2021
Wiseandtrue:

cheesy grin grin suffer head grin e be like say you like suffering

You don dey sure when you finish Abi na private University you dey grin

Abeg disappoint village people!

He still needs to come back to his country of origin, lol

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by laiperi: 5:40pm On Jun 22, 2021
I was going to blast the talent and money launderer until I saw your post. Even then I disagree with you but only slightly.

OP, did you find out how much doctors make in Eastern Europe, Russia, China or Cuba?

Training these spoilt children in expensive medical schools in Nigeria is a waste of talents and resources because they see it as a ticket to Japa.

But put half of those resources in the School of Health Technology for Physician Assistants or Community Health Officers as in Cuba, Russia, India, China and Eastern Europe and watch them produce Nobel laureates like those countries.

These locally trained medical doctors are yet to live up to their potential even when Professors Kuti and Lambo invested heavily in them because they are like other Youths looking for foreign Salvation.

TCD:
OP dont be silly.

Listen to doctors in the profession and not non-medical people who know nothing about the field .

Finish your medschool in nigeria and you can migrate anywhere as long as your school is recognised.

All you need to do is write whatever licencing exam in your chosen country.

Eastern europe is possibly ukraine, georgia russia or one of those countries. Even if you want to practice in uk, canada or US with the certificate you will stil write the same licencing exam grad from nigeria or any other country writes before you can be licensed to practice.

So why waste three years of your life.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by litaninja(m): 5:44pm On Jun 22, 2021
You still here asking jamb questions....let me ask you.
What is the assurance you'll graduate in nigeria? Maybe what happens if one lecturer decides he doesn't like your face?
What happens if there's a tanker explosion near one of your classes?
What happens if you are kidnapped next week?

You funny o
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by theforemost: 5:45pm On Jun 22, 2021
Reading all advises.I'll rather u get in touch wit about 20 ppl studying abroad, to advise u better then take decision

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Edusouls(m): 5:47pm On Jun 22, 2021
Nigeria is rated high in terms of producing quality doctors, most of those doctors you see practicing abroad, U.S , uk �� and Europe are trained in Nigeria doctors, what’s with you youths and travel self?
matt97367:

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Edusouls(m): 5:50pm On Jun 22, 2021
I have a medical doctor friend who studied at Ukraine till date no job for him in Nigeria, Nigerian hospitals self prefer trained in Nigeria doctors, cos Nigeria churn out quality doctors, that’s why u see them practicing abroad, what is with youths and travel self?
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by omoadeleye(m): 5:50pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Thank you very much for your answer sir

The cost is pretty much settled and by the grace of God that wont be an issue
The only thing hindering me is the fact that I'll have to waste the 3 years spent here
So I want to be sure its was worth it
I met a consultant here in my school that advised me against it, telling me doctors are better paid and treated here in nigeria than the countries people go to.

But from your answer you say it's easier for medical doctors that studied abroad to secure jobs abroad
So it's significantly harder for doctors that studied in Nigeria to secure jobs abroad?

�thank you very much for your response

I'm not a medical student but i know of someone that came from Europe to come and write one licence exam like that in UCH Ibadan.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Greystone: 5:51pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Just leave while you still have the opportunity.

I am a Senior Registrar in a Federal Teaching Hospital but I'm preparing towards writing PLAB and joining my classmates already living and working in the UK.

I used to belong to the "stay and help fix Naija" gang till my eyes were opened to the fact that this country will only go from bad to worse.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by jacobnel(m): 5:51pm On Jun 22, 2021
Abeg japa ooh.Their are alot of opportunities associated in studying medicine abroad and also you get peace of mind while in Eastern Europe unlike in Nigeria your life is not Secured.Abeg leave this Shithole country that don't want to change for good.

matt97367:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Skye Bank Sacks 175 / Your MBBS Is Not BMLS, Doctors Steer Clear Of The Lab!!! / Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.