Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,080,661 members, 7,588,220 topics. Date: Monday, 25 September 2023 at 03:12 AM

Nigeria: Livestock Reform Is Key To Solving Farmer-herder Conflict - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria: Livestock Reform Is Key To Solving Farmer-herder Conflict (102 Views)

Nigeria: Livestock Reform Is Key To Solving Farmer-herder Conflict / Nigeria: Livestock Reform Is Key To Solving Farmer-herder Conflict / Little Herder Seen Sharing His Cow’s Udder With A Calf, Yesterday, In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Livestock Reform Is Key To Solving Farmer-herder Conflict by Baharly: 2:35am On Jun 18, 2021
However, in recent years, violence between herders and farmers has alarmingly grown, spreading from the north to the central and southern states.
Violence between the two groups has claimed more lives than the Boko Haram jihadist insurgency in the north-east, disrupting rural communities and threatening Nigeria’s stability and food security.
The combination of environmental degradation and violence (attributable to climate change, high population growth, Boko Haram insurgency and armed criminal activity such as cattle rustling) has pushed herders from the north of the country southward in search of pasture and water, resulting in almost daily clashes with farming communities. The intensity of the violence varies from region to region, but so far, Nigeria’s north-west and north-central zones have been hit hardest.
Nigerian authorities responded by deploying security forces to the affected areas but later realised that a military response was insufficient to deal with the main cause of herder-farmer conflict: competition over land and water.
In 2019, following a surge in violent incidents the previous year, they adopted an ambitious, 10-year National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP) that aims to alter these deadly patterns.
In a nutshell, the plan encourages pastoralists to switch to ranching and other sedentary livestock production systems. By the end of 2028, authorities expect to have at least 119 ranches operating across several states, with the hope that more mechanised forms of livestock production will bolster the sector’s productivity.
Abuja projects that the planned establishment of ranches, alongside the resuscitation of long-neglected public grazing reserves, will create over two million jobs, mostly in the meat, dairy processing and marketing chains.
The federal government has committed to funding 80% of proposals submitted by participating states, while state governments and private investors are to provide the remaining 20%. Donors are also prepared to help.
The new plan was not Nigeria’s first attempt at developing a strategy to reduce competition for resources among herders and farmers, but it is the country’s most comprehensive livestock reform bid to date. Many state governments, especially in the north, welcome the move with enthusiasm, and some have already demarcated grazing reserves or applied for funding from the federal government to set up ranches.

(1) (Reply)

Hygiene And Quality Control Of Hygienic Products / Five U.S. States Had Coronavirus Infections Even Before First Reported Cases, St / COVID-19: Delta Tops Chart As Nigeria Records 13 New Cases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.