Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Naomi Osaka In The Fight Against Depression - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Naomi Osaka In The Fight Against Depression (186 Views)

Serena Williams Defeats Naomi Osaka / Naomi Osaka Wins Australia Open; Becomes World No 1 (Photo) / US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Naomi Osaka In The Fight Against Depression by Azeemokoya: 1:59pm On Jun 18, 2021
The exit of Naomi Osaka from the 2021 Roland Garros Tournament over her decision not to engage with the media after the matches has led to much debate.
The four-time Grand Slam winner has been battling depression since 2018. She stated, “This isn’t a situation I ever imagined or intended when I posted a few days ago. I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my wellbeing is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris.”
Although many athletes sportspersons consider press conferences a part of their job, it shouldn’t be at the expense of their mental wellbeing. Imagine a situation where she retires from a match injured and in need of urgent medical care, would she not skip the press interviews?
Several celebrities and sports personalities have applauded the decision of the world number two.

Tennis legend Martina Navratilova said, “I am so sad about Naomi Osaka. I truly hope she will be ok. As athletes we are taught to take care of our body, and perhaps the mental and emotional aspect gets short shrift. This is about more than doing or not doing a press conference. Good luck Naomi – we are all pulling for you!”
In their statement, the organizers said, “A core element of the Grand Slam regulations is the responsibility of the players to engage with the media, whatever the result of their match, a responsibility which players take for the benefit of the sport, the fans and for themselves.”

Naomi Osaka feels differently. She believes that expecting a player to answer questions after a gruelling match or defeat is like “kicking a person while they’re down”.

https://newsroundtheclock.com/index.php/2021/06/08/naomi-osaka-in-the-fight-against-depression/

(1) (Reply)

25 Years Later! Sanwo-olu Gifts Olympics Medalist Chioma Ajunwa 3 Bedroom Flat / Officially UEFA Has Cancelled All Away Goals From Their Competitions / After Mexico, Eagles Team B To Face Canada, Ghana, Cameroun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.