Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,364 members, 7,808,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? (18720 Views)

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria / Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? / Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Itisallright: 1:31pm On Jun 20, 2021
Best of luck in any field be the koko...

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ikllbrokehoes(m): 1:33pm On Jun 20, 2021
Hamiltonii:

An excellent course. He should concentrate for good grades.
Focus and determination is the key to Excel

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Itisallright: 1:34pm On Jun 20, 2021
no be nigeria we dey? no be wetin person read na him in dey take chop...
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Missyajoke(f): 1:34pm On Jun 20, 2021
I left that God forsaken department when was GP was becoming terrible. I ought to be in part 4 now but due to thinking my grades will get better I left in part 2. If that's your calling you can study if not Japa
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by soul2: 1:35pm On Jun 20, 2021
You better no try am, goelogist are the most useless in this kind country. I am a living example bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by 2special(m): 1:38pm On Jun 20, 2021
Wetegik578:
Good one
scam
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ben1daEbiri(m): 1:39pm On Jun 20, 2021
Lordkratus:
it is. A very very bad idea , I am a geologist and being in this field for years bro, advice him to write jamb and reapply for petroleum engineering or production engineering. It will serve him better

Petroleum Engineering is shi.t
He's better off with geology/Geophysics. There are little to no jobs in the oil industry. PE is too streamlined,I'll never advise anyone to study PE as a first degree. I'm studying PE and in my finals and I know better now,wish I had someone to put me through earlier on.

I repeat PE as first degree is a trap!!!

14 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Miracleuzoma45(m): 1:39pm On Jun 20, 2021
I studied geology in unizik, today I am self employed, I am into Borehole drilling, geophysical survey etc and I am earning big, owns a registered company of my own, with all machineries Available, and I have workers I employeed under me also have i.t students working with me, Geology is a very difficult course, just be focused and learn it, you will love it ,even most unizik lecturers from geology department assigns jobs to me, so go ahead and study it

8 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by 123winglass: 1:40pm On Jun 20, 2021
Admob090:
my friend who has just been offered admission to study geology is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.
you can end up working dangote
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by moneypilot: 1:41pm On Jun 20, 2021
please take advantage of the skills you would learn during study of the course , such as python programming, GIS, and e.t.c dont rely on the degree itself . thank you

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Indispensable85(m): 1:41pm On Jun 20, 2021
No course is good or bad in Nigeria. Just get your connection intact. You can work anywhere with any course with your connection. I know somebody working in CBN with a degree in Islamic studies. Welcome to Nigeria. You can read what you think is the best course in your mind and end up roaming the streets of Nigeria for decades without a job if you gat no connection. Are you from Pluto? Lol........

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Euegene100001: 1:41pm On Jun 20, 2021
Big No don’t try it . Regrets full am
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by seunny4lif(m): 1:41pm On Jun 20, 2021
In Nigeria?
Hell NO
Abeg go for another course unless your family get strong connection

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Easyincome24: 1:41pm On Jun 20, 2021
Friend, geology is a good course and still relevant irrespective of the situation of the country.

Not everyone will be unfortunate as you have read people writing how some fellows left their courses and practice something else due to the ills in the economy.

That's how life is. If you are lazy in pursuing geology as a career, irrespective of other opportunities to parctise something else, if you don't approach life with determination and deliberation, you won't be successful in anything.

I would advice, take the course, have a good plan should you not earn livelihood in it in the nearest future.

You might even become an employer of labour as soon as you finish school.

While starting the course, during hols find a company where geologist are being employed. Volunteer just to understudy someone to gain little experience. With that, you already create relationship and connection. Before you grad, you won't even be thinking of submitting CV anywhere.

As the above steps would add up to your CV, give you a push up as a student of geology and also make you fearless about the future.

It's a known fact that jobs are few or not existing in our country nowadays but if a company sees you have values to add to them, they won't hesitate to employ you.

What we lack in our education is the employability of new grads from school. School only teaches us to pass exams and gather grades and scores but never prepares us to fit into the industrial sector immediately one is employed. No company will want to employ a liability but an asset.

My first job came a week before rounding up NYSC back in 2012 because I could use softwares the company was looking for who to use it. That gave me my start and now things are lot different and still practicing what I studied in the Uni.

Go for it, if it's for you!

Just my one penny!

7 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Euegene100001: 1:42pm On Jun 20, 2021
It’s u and not ur friend talk from ur full chest . Write another jamb jejely
Admob090:
my friend who has just been offered admission to study geology is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 20, 2021
DonKharly:
Chai I remember that year wey I like anything oil & gas, it's either pet.engine, geology or nothing else but now.......
Water engineering sef you go study
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Karleb(m): 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2021
Let me just be blunt here.

It's a fucking waste of time and resources, same as studying biochemistry.

Funnily enough, the course is so hard.

I can bet it with you that you'll end up doing something different from that course if you study it.

My advice is you start learning that thing you would do if Geology doesn't work out. Start now o.

4 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Trustedpronet: 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2021
Nigeria is a paper certificate country, read anything and you might become president of Nigeria someday. But if you need job fast, read medicine, nursing, biotech, economic & Accounting, architect, computer science or engineering, elect elect.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by LOSKYXANDER: 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2021
G
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2021
hehehe havent u seen the videon where president said everywhere is filled from federal government down to local government? and at the end he said YOU GO TO A GOOD UNIVERSITY AND GET A DEGREE YOU WILL NEVER GET A JOB. and u are here asking a question about what to study. anyway let me answer your question. i studied geography in uni while i was at uni i have friends from geology dept. since we r in thesame faculty one of my friends from geology dept. graduated with first class he got a schorlaship and did his m.sc in india HE IS STILL JOBLESSSSSS

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by DomainGist: 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2021
Hope it is not OAU? shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Indispensable85(m): 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2021
Iykecollins:
I studied Geology in Uniben, was among the best students but practing something different and loving. Thank God for Internet and digital marketing. You can add me on WhatsApp to learn how to start making money even as a Student which I never had the opportunity to learn in my time.

See signature for my whatsapp no.

See my person.
When did you finish from there?
I'm a product of that department.
Prof. Emofurieta was my mentor then.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Pilopher: 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2021
Lordkratus:
it is. A very very bad idea , I am a geologist and being in this field for years bro, advice him to write jamb and reapply for petroleum engineering or production engineering. It will serve him better
the production Engineering that what am studying now am tired of it
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by mechanics(m): 1:50pm On Jun 20, 2021
Most geologist work in an oil firm or some into drilling bore holes, there is no much prospect for geologist in Nigeria.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Drella(m): 1:51pm On Jun 20, 2021
ikllbrokehoes:
Yes it is, I studied Geology and mining, and it's a great course.

But now,it is pussy you are mining undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Indispensable85(m): 1:52pm On Jun 20, 2021
wunmi590:
sad

Studying geology in Nigeria is just waste of time just like studying Microbiology if you don't have a strong connection...

Geology is one of the department they have saddist lecturer and yet most of their graduate are always lagging behind interms of job

I have alot of friends who studied Geology and are still struggling to get jobs..

Some of them are hotel managers a d some work in the bank, some are still looking for jobs till now...

Let him go ahead and study it and apply for masters abroad if he has the means, nah there him go blow

Your last sentence is the real deal.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Derrylatei: 1:53pm On Jun 20, 2021
I will not advice you to study geology except you have passion for it. As for job opportunities, it's only by God Mercy op. I studied geology too but still without job offer for years. I have to acquire IT skill to survive now.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ceede2: 1:53pm On Jun 20, 2021
gly2ken:
Geology is very good, but there are no much jobs in the oil and gas industry. Also note that our mining industry needs deliverance. Me I kokoma be geologist turn accountant
Na waiting Baba Fela talk be this doctor lawyer hustler.

Geologist by profession, Accountant hustler.

God bless Fela Anikulapo kuti.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 20, 2021
Admob090:

I prefer electrical electronics engineering or even computer science to this course,last last nah God go help person
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Drella(m): 1:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
soul2:
You better no try am, goelogist are the most useless in this kind country. I am a living example bro.

Living example of uselessness? shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Doctor Doctor Narrates Trouble They Face To Get Their N40K Salary / Access Bank 2021 Entry Level Recruitment / I Was Part Of Retrenched Staffs In 2 Good Jobs Within One Year 2015. (god Why?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.