Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,893 members, 7,806,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction (6344 Views)

Photos Of Yoruba Candomble Worshippers In Brazil. / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Installation Of Gani Adams As 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo Of Yoruba In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by SouthEastFacts: 12:33pm On Jun 21, 2021
Igboid:

They are not Yorubas.
They are indigenous Igbos who Akure warriors who Oba Bini sent to conquer them settled among them and became their kings, disobeying and cutting off the Oba Bini in the process.
The Owo(Yoruba soldiers) brought Yoruba culture and flavor to the people, which was subsequently diluted by the Indigenous Igbo flavor of the aboriginals.
Are you sure?

Olukumis have always claimed Yoruba. They are Yorubas in Igboland

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by RedboneSmith(m): 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2021
zero8zero:

Who told you our culture is extinct?
We don't share any culture with igbos.

This comment has exposed you as a non-Olukwumi person. You are a southwesterner, and I bet you don't know even one single person from the Olukwumi communities.

Culturally, Olukwumi has been integrated into Aniocha. Only a person who doesn't know what he's talking about will say they don't share any culture with Igbos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by UGBE634: 6:42pm On Jun 25, 2021
Igboid:

They are not Yorubas.
They are indigenous Igbos who Akure warriors who Oba Bini sent to conquer them settled among them and became their kings, disobeying and cutting off the Oba Bini in the process.
The Owo(Yoruba soldiers) brought Yoruba culture and flavor to the people, which was subsequently diluted by the Indigenous Igbo flavor of the aboriginals.
"who Akure warriors,who Oba Bini"you might need to correct this in your post.

1 Like

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by lifeisgood12: 6:25am On Aug 04, 2021
Klinee:
I believe they're more igala than Yoruba because they share no boundaries with the Yorubas but they share boundaries with Igala.
Their language is much similar to the igala than Yoruba.
I have been to ugbodu, I think they should join Igala than claiming Yoruba.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Proto-Yoruboid_reconstructions
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Ulukwumi_word_list
heres a comparison of their language. Igala and olukwumi are both related to yoruba

4 Likes

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by VEHINTOLAR: 3:45pm On Aug 05, 2021
Igboid:

Ugbodu is not Yoruba.
Move on.
At best they can be said to be a member of the "defoid" ie the common language tree the proto Igala and Proto Yoruba people emerged from.
Either way, they met aboriginal Igbos on ground who acculturated and assimilated them.
Out of the 6 Odiani communities, 4 has been fully assimilated as Igbo speakers, while only 2 are still bilingual in Igbo(Enuani) and Olukumi( defoid) language.

Also it has to be understood that Olukumi is as intelligible to Yorubas as Igala is to Yorubas.
They are not mutually intelligible.

Are you aware of the fact that there are these same indigenous Lucumi people (Yoruba) in Brazil and Cuba and that they have never denied their Yoruba ancestry ? In fact,they are always proud of it just like the Olukumi people (Yoruba) of Delta state.

Ugbodu is not Igbo,but Olukumi,same as Lucumi Yoruba of Bahia in Brazil and Cuba. You can take anything away from a Yoruba man but not his culture and language because those are his prides.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Solz7(m): 7:04pm On Aug 26, 2022
Igboid:

Lol!
Yoruba and Igala people have been editing and reediting that Wikipedia page for a living for a while now. grin

Yorubas practice Okpara bu isi gerontocracy?
Since when? cheesy grin
�����
Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Ologbo147: 8:28am On Aug 27, 2022
macrodata:
Interesting read. Recently, I learned of the Ebu tribe in Oshimili North of Delta State whose language consist of roughly 50% Igala dictions. Strange settings in Nigeria.
There is Oza-nogogo in delta state whose language consist of 90% Bini diction and is at the heart of the igbo is speaking areas

2 Likes

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by RedboneSmith(m): 9:03am On Aug 27, 2022
Ologbo147:
There is Oza-nogogo in delta state whose language consist of 90% Bini diction and is at the heart of the igbo is speaking areas

Ozanogogo is not at the heart of anything. Ozanogogo is on the periphery of the Ika areas. Only a small river separates them from their Ozanisi brothers in Edo State.

Delta and Edo should do a swap. Edo should take Ozanogogo and give Igbanke to Delta.
Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Usenokpevbo: 8:30am On Sep 04, 2022
What about Alilehan and Alisor
Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Fisfrank(m): 12:23pm On Sep 08, 2022

People also get drunk on Sunday and come to Nairaland to post rubbish.

I no fit Laugh

He is saying the truth, I'm from there, he just made some few mistakes, the odiani head is nkwu-nzu, my dad is from nkwu-nzu why my mum is from ugbodu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Usenokpevbo: 10:36pm On Sep 09, 2022
[quote au
Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by SoldierPikin: 8:01pm On Mar 10, 2023
zero8zero:
Nairaland has revealed many Nigerian are ignorant and arrogant at the same time. They neither travel nor seek knowledge.
Spot on.
Go to those villages as a Yoruba speaker, you will pick what they are saying.

2 Likes

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by RedboneSmith(m): 10:34pm On Mar 10, 2023
Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Konquest: 5:25pm On Jan 07
zero8zero:

It is funny how people say we are closer to Igalas than to Yoruba.
By proximity, we are closer to our Igala, edoid and igboid neighbors. By ancestry, we are Yoruboid. Our ancestors migrated from Owo in Ondo State. We have never denied who we are.

https://thestreetjournal.org/opinion-a-yoruba-enclave-in-the-heart-of-aniocha-delta-state/

https://www.nairaland.com/2837325/where-yoruba-igbo-peoples-meet#41571908

1 Share

Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Konquest: 5:30pm On Jan 07
Fisfrank:

He is saying the truth, I'm from there, he just made some few mistakes, the odiani head is nkwu-nzu, my dad is from nkwu-nzu why my mum is from ugbodu

https://thestreetjournal.org/opinion-a-yoruba-enclave-in-the-heart-of-aniocha-delta-state/
Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Konquest: 5:46pm On Jan 07
zero8zero:
Oduduwa Race And Family; The Olukumi Clan of Yoruba in Delta State.

The Olukumis are a branch of the Anioma ethnic group. Anioma people exists as part of Edo and Delta state.
The Anioma people are a unique group of people with 12 different languages which can be traced to: Igbo, Edo and
Yoruba.
The Olukumis are an ancient fragment of the Yoruba people, located in Aniocha North local government of Delta in Nigeria who migrated from Owo/Akure in the current day Ondo State of Nigeria.
They occupy eight communities in the west of the river Niger, and are referred to as the Odiani Clan in Aniomaland. Olukunmi towns and communities include; Ukwu Nzu ( Eko Efun), Ugbodu, Ubulubu, Idumu ogo, among others.

History considers the Odianis as the Yoruba clans in the Anioma cultural area. While, Ugbodu town is by virtue of history the headquarters of the Olukumi people. The Ugbodu town is headed by a traditional ruler named as the Obi of Ugbodu. The current Obi is H.R.M. Oloza Ayo Isinyemeze.

The Olukumi villages select leaders through the use of Okpala Obi system, which is considered as a borrowed culture from their neighbors. The system is a fusion of the Obi (Kingship) rulership system from the Benin kingdom, as well as the Okpala (Gerontocracy) system gotten from the Igbos.
The Odianis today are known as Anioma people in Delta State together with the Ezechime who migrated from Edo land and Idumuje clan who migrated from Esan land.
The Anioma people are those from Aniocha (Enuani and Olukumi), Ndokwa (Ukwuani), Ika, and Oshimili areas of Delta State.
Re: OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction by Konquest: 5:46pm On Jan 07
macrodata:
Interesting read. Recently, I learned of the Ebu tribe in Oshimili North of Delta State whose language consist of roughly 50% Igala dictions. Strange settings in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Africans We Are "Not" Blacks !!!!!! We Are Tribals !!!!!!!! / How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? / See One Yoruba Word That Has several Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.