Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification (15768 Views)

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / Should I Continue With My Job Or I Should Leave And Work As A Money Agent? / My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Tapout(m): 5:20pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

Please u need an enlightenment.

I was going through my Facebook page.

And I saw an advert for Cisco training, certification and placement. Fee: 67,000.

Please I don't know how effective is this in getting a job. Any possibility of me coping since I don't have any background in computer or networking.

Please advice

[b]With that prize tag I assume the Cisco certification here is CCENT which is the basic and not really a sorted after certification in Networking compared to it's successor CCNA which also has it's successor CCNP & CCIE. Secondly, you might find it quite difficult since you have no prior knowledge of computer or networking. However, if you have a fast understanding ability, then you can give it a go. CCENT can get you a couple of roles like Network Admin, IT support jobs as it covers the basics of Networking, IP addresses, IP config, Network troubleshooting and others. CCNA, CCNP, CCIE comes in when you start talking of Routing & Switching which is what virtually all telcos are interested in. Why I've tried to break it down for you is so you can decide is it's something you want to pursue. Because it's not a one hit wonder course. The higher certifications you get, the higher
you earn in the industry. CCENT will not get you into the vaults of Networking where the money is as telcos and ISPs are ones that pay well hence in most cases go after those with atlest a CCNA.

Pardon any grammatical errors, I'm just waking up from sleep abeg and stumbled on this smiley[/b]
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2021
I did internet network engineering at computer village,ikeja few years ago.Na theory them teach me.I asked the tutor some questions he dey dodge am.Everyhing don commit for my head.I vex that that time ehn.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by BigDawsNet: 5:29pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

And I saw an advert for Cisco training, certification and placement. Fee: 67,000.

Please I don't know how effective is this in getting a job. Any possibility of me coping since I don't have any background in computer or networking.

Please advice

Why don't you go for cyber security...and you get a certified certificate from the open University, England

That's my cert
Arrived few weeks ago
Edited out my name tho

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by upsupa(m): 5:29pm On Jun 21, 2021
This man speaks the truth. CCNA na start but useful to round you out.

If your goal na just any job based out of Naija, na likely waste of time. Naija networking is mostly wireless. CCNA will help you understand networking but will not provide you job for the most part

Gun79:
If this is 2005 to 2010, I would say yes, get a CCNA

If this is 2011 to 2015, I would say get a CCNP

But in 2021? You need at least CCIE in order to be reckoned with. And see that CCIE, is a beast. It is the most difficult I.T exam on this planet to pass(100% fact, use Google to confirm) or lemme just say top 3.

I will attach a screenshot of a 130k job advert that requires Master degree + CCNP + 4year experience to tell you how useless CCNA Certificate is(in Nigeria of Course)

There are more valuable, more in-demand Certifications like Cloud computing(all AWS 12 Certifications, Microsoft Azure etc), DevOps(e.g Certified kubernetes administrator) Cyber Security(CISSP, CEH, CISA e.t.c), Data Science (Tensorflow Developer Certificate), e.t.c or you even go for software development (start by learning a prog. language)

All that being said if you just need the basic knowledge of Networking and not necessarily for Job purposes, Pls do go for it.

I have a useless CCNA certificate from 6yrs ago, but I'm greatful for the knowledge I have, it has helped me in some other fields such as Cloud computing and Cybersecurity

Peace!
(Don't forget to check out the advert I attached with my alternative moniker above or profile page, it has all the Materials and Videos for you to master Networking and 14 other specializations for a fraction of what you would have paid if you enroll for that CCNA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by rafindo(m): 5:33pm On Jun 21, 2021
siraj1402:
Come I am a certified instructor, I will give you all it take and register you for the exams with less than that amount.

Can I contact you
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by calculusx(m): 5:37pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

Please advice

A lot of people are missing the point here. If you have no background in Computer or Networking, I would advise you start from( basics so you can have a solid foundation) CompTIA IT Fundamentals, A+, N+, S+ and progress to CCNA.
Are you doing CCNA because they promise Job Opportunity? If that is the case here, the answer is NO. You have to find a job yourself. Promising you Job placement after Certification is a lie.
You can skip the above and start from any other field of IT if you have basic knowledge and understanding about Computing. IT is broad, you need to know exactly which aspect what you want to do. If you have the time and money to play with start from scratch, no knowledge is lost.
Presently, Cybersecurity, Cloud computing, AWS, Azure Fundamentals and Infrastructure are hot Cake right now but you have to start from somewhere. Rome wasn't built in a day

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by processrxtn: 5:37pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

Please advice

From the comments on this thread, it is very clear some people give advise without having the proper knowledge or experience about the said topic. I can see other really great suggestions here, It is up to OP to decide.

I never regretted my decision to go for CCNA as it laid a very solid foundation for me.

Question : Should OP go for the Certification, I presume CCNA ?
Answer: By all means go for it but make sure the training is hands on and trainer can relate with real life scenarios.

Question: Is CCNA all you need ?
Answer: Not at all. To survive in the IT world you need more than CCNA but having CCNA is a great way to start as it gives you a very solid foundation. From CCNA you can progress/switch as your interest leads.

Question: Can you do AWS/AZURE/GCP without CCNA ?
Answer : Yes for sure but having CCNA would make it a whole lot easier to understand some topics like Amazon VPC.

Question: Can you make money with CCNA ?
Answer: A resounding YES, depending on how solid your training/Academy is. Before the end of a good Academy, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve some network issues. How well you are able to monetize your skill depend on you.

CCIE is great no doubt but how can you go from green horn to CCIE without having networking experience or from CCNA >>CCNP>>CCIE. Even when you follow the tracks, No be beans.

You might want to verify the training follows CISCO curriculum.

Good luck on your journey !

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 21, 2021
What course can one study if he want to go into yahoo yahoo?That thing fit pay someone big in other for him to start a business.Salary work no be am.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by OvaSabi1(f): 5:41pm On Jun 21, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Why don't you go for cyber security...and you get a certified certificate from the open University, England

That's my cert
Arrived few weeks ago
Edited out my name tho

Have you been able to get a job with it?
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by kokoboy4life(m): 5:51pm On Jun 21, 2021
Seniorwriter:

Go ahead no knowledge is lost.
Ability to convert what one knows to financial / monetary value is what many people / professional lack knowledge of reason why there is rise in the unemployment level in many developing countries like Nigeria.
Unfortunately too this process of knowing how to monetize what you are taught as an undergraduate is not considered in school(university)!

Howbeit I keep telling people that no matter the kind of course or profession you are in, you can effectively monetize it via the online space either as a freelancer , content creator or consultant.
Some month ago(April) someone that is an electrical technical college graduate reached out through the facebook id on my profile and after 3 weeks paid training he now earns via Dropshipping & Dropservising of electrical tools and essentials via online and from the feedback I get he earns @least #60k(sixty thousand naira) weekly doing this.
With just 20 electrical shops he supplies daily with Sunday as his rest day with an average of #500(five hundred naira) profits per supplies he makes the said sixty thousand naira profits.
I told him to manage these 20clients for at least 3months then he can decide to source for another 20 with same locomotives he was thought in creating these 20 he delivers for.

That's why I keep saying that if you have access to internet + browsing gadgets and you ain't earning even $5 or it's naira equivalent daily or you are yet experiencing financial freedom then it's your own undoing(FAULT).

@kokoboy4life...What's your skill or profession?

Thanks for the response, I am a media person, both in TV and print media. Though I am not an independent body, I still work with an organization I am just in need of profitable skill that will up my income. I have tried to learn some set of skills but I always drops out in the process of learning especially when it get to tough stages maybe this is due to my poor IT background. I wait to hear from you soon.

Proactivity Leads To Productivity.
@seniorwriter
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by BigDawsNet: 5:56pm On Jun 21, 2021
OvaSabi1:

Have you been able to get a job with it?

Absolutely

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by calculusx(m): 5:58pm On Jun 21, 2021
processrxtn:

CCIE is great no doubt but how can you go from green horn to CCIE without having networking experience or from CCNA >>CCNP>>CCIE. [/b]Even when you follow the tracks, No be beans.

You might want to verify the training follows CISCO curriculum.

[b]Good luck on your journey !

This is what we call Progression in IT. CCIE no be beans ooo grin
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by saxwizard(m): 6:01pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

Please advice

CCNA is 300dollar

Do the maths

The price is for training alone
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Adamwest: 6:16pm On Jun 21, 2021
BigDawsNet:

That's my cert
Arrived few weeks ago
Edited out my name tho

Please what's the cost of this certification
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by osazsky(m): 6:23pm On Jun 21, 2021
How will ccna and ccnp bring food to your table.these things dont work in d zoo only in sane countries.who wan give u work go give u work
Get ur bsc maybe MSC.. keep it first. Enter market go learn work or trade.when its ur time someone that knows someone will call u to come and work.no aptitude test no interview all those ones na paparazzi. Them don pik who them want

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by bigtt76(f): 6:50pm On Jun 21, 2021
Scope to trick you to register. Cisco devices are not in vogue like before. Go for cloud certifications.

Smhaykins:

Thanks.

But they said there will be placement after certification.

I don't know how through is it

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by BigDawsNet: 6:52pm On Jun 21, 2021
Adamwest:

Please what's the cost of this certification

I was selected for free admission then

Probably cost £75 now

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Gjmff: 6:59pm On Jun 21, 2021
Make your own plans think for yourself
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Isorshe(m): 7:07pm On Jun 21, 2021
signz:

There are job opportunities for cloud certs holders in Nigeria?

Is it in high demand abroad and can cloud certs holders in Nigeria work remotely for companies abroad?

Thank you
This might not be entirely true, lots of us have this certification and are still hoping for openings without world War 3 requirements.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by hustla(m): 7:35pm On Jun 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Na dont. The base level certifications are everywhere. Do cloud certifications instead. AWS, Azure and GCP or kubernetes and docker.

Are you seriously recommending Kubernetes and Docker for a beginner?

shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by hustla(m): 7:35pm On Jun 21, 2021
Isorshe:

This might not be entirely true, lots of us have this certification and are still hoping for openings without world War 3 requirements.

Which do you have?
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Adamwest: 8:01pm On Jun 21, 2021
BigDawsNet:

I was selected for free admission then

Probably cost £75 now

Oh wow, thanks
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by siraj1402(m): 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2021
rafindo:

Can I contact you
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Smhaykins(m): 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2021
oloshun:

Please don't do it. It is a scam. My wife is a manager at Cisco and she said the program is not opening soon.

Thanks sir
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by TechCapon(m): 8:08pm On Jun 21, 2021
Gun79:
If this is 2005 to 2010, I would say yes, get a CCNA

If this is 2011 to 2015, I would say get a CCNP

But in 2021? You need at least CCIE in order to be reckoned with. And see that CCIE, is a beast. It is the most difficult I.T exam on this planet to pass(100% fact, use Google to confirm). I have seen many born geniuses pass at 3rd attempt

I will attach a screenshot of a 130k job advert that requires Master degree + CCNP + 4year experience to tell you how useless CCNA Certificate is (in Nigeria of Course)

There are more valuable, more in-demand Certifications like Cloud computing(all AWS 12 Certifications, Microsoft Azure etc), DevOps(e.g Certified kubernetes administrator) Cyber Security(CISSP, CEH, CISA e.t.c), Data Science (Tensorflow Developer Certificate), e.t.c or you even go for software development (start by learning a prog. language)

All that being said if you just need the basic knowledge of Networking and not necessarily for Job purposes, Pls do go for it.

I have a useless CCNA certificate from 6yrs ago, but I'm happy for the knowledge I have, it has helped me in some other fields such as Cloud computing and Cybersecurity

Peace!

(Don't forget to check out the advert I attached, the bundle has all the Materials and Videos for you to master Networking and 14 other I.T specializations)
you hit the nail on the head bro. I've already passed my Azure Fundamentals exam, now I'm preparing for the Azure Developer exam and Devops exam coming up really soon. I hope to share testimony when I get the job. grin

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by TechCapon(m): 8:16pm On Jun 21, 2021
bigtt76:
Scope to trick you to register. Cisco devices are not in vogue like before. Go for cloud certifications.

better oil dey your head. A friend of mine who's a ccna couldn't get a job in Lagos until the certificate expired in his hands. Reason is that most companies prefer going for cheaper switches and routers rather than expensive Cisco routers and they can get boys from computer village to do the connection for them. Cisco is not in vogue at least not in Nigeria and getting remote networking jobs are hard

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Karleb(m): 8:33pm On Jun 21, 2021
hustla:

Are you seriously recommending Kubernetes and Docker for a beginner?

shocked

Learning starts from somewhere.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by bigtt76(f): 8:40pm On Jun 21, 2021
Honestly. Most companies always get those integrator to do the setups and just need someone to stare at the device all day

TechCapon:
better oil dey your head. A friend of mine who's a ccna couldn't get a job in Lagos until the certificate expired in his hands. Reason is that most companies prefer going for cheaper switches and routers rather than expensive Cisco routers and they can get boys from computer village to do the connection for them. Cisco is not in vogue at least not in Nigeria and getting remote networking jobs are hard

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Smhaykins(m): 8:41pm On Jun 21, 2021
Trustedpronet:

Is it CCNA, CCNP or CCNI....I did my ccna at the university of jos ICT centre around 2005. I Did A+ in SA. The truth is that all certification are very OK outside Nigeria. But the systems here don't give a Bleep about your international certification except some few foreign companies. With CCNP you can get a job with a communication company.

CCNA
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Smhaykins(m): 8:47pm On Jun 21, 2021
linearity:
Some people and advise self na wao.....

Una wey dey tell the guy make him no do CCNA or CCNP, say na CCIE be the baba, how him go take reach yonder? Some dey even say CCIE Security as if CCIE na moimoi?

Agreed, CCIE does not have any pre-requisite, but advising the OP to gun for CCIE without testing his the waters with CCNA and CCNP is almost like telling a secondary school graduate that BSc and MSc are almost everywhere now, that he should go for Ph.D. Getting CCIE is good, but as a beginner with no network working experience or other lower Cisco certification, you will be easily overwhelmed and frustrated, you may even end up hating the decision to attempt it, all because you skip a lot of basic foundational steps....don't do it!

Also, Cloud certifications like AWS, Azure, etc are good...but these are all overly networks, you are much more valuable if you also understand the underly networks and the Openstack network orchestration that feeds these overly networks and also to which these overly networks interconnect to in cases of hybrid cloud.

The OP need basic networking, routing, switching, security before he can be successful as a Cloud Engineer...After Azure Fundanmentals certifications, these basic networking principles will help him, when he start going for higher Azure or AWS certification...moreso he will be using Azure, AWS, etc cloud Achitectures to build the same underly networks that Cisco and other vendors will teach him......Also there are now many vendors e.g. Cisco software defined cloud devices that he may have to instantiate in Azure of AWS cloud, without a previous knowledge of working with these vendor devices, all this Azure or AWS knowledge and trainings wouldn't help.

There is a difference between trying to build a career and looking for a quick training to that will quickly start providing bread and butter....if the OP is looking for a career like he stated and for many others who want to build a career in the cloud....If you want to be a Cloud Engineer, do not forsake basic networking from vendors like Cisco, Juniper, etc and if you want to be a Cloud Developer, your knowledge of Software development, coding, python, shell scripting, etc will give you an edge on whatever career path you may want to choose in the cloud.

Thanks boss, one more advice.

Am in my 30s, is it not too late to start a career in networking. By the time am through with all this programs, will age not be a barrier in getting a job with it
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Trustedpronet: 8:49pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:

CCNA

With ccna you are only an associate, after the ccna you will have to write ccnp- Cisco certified network professional. 18months things if you are fast.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World / TOEFL And GRE Examination In Nigeria. / Enugu Workers Receive 13th Month Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.