Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance (14490 Views)

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work / NEW Finance, Investment Banking and Stockbroking Jobs / Job Openings At WATER-AID Nigeria. IT And Finance Interns Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by much30: 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2021
Also mind you that Accounting software are taking away jobs from accountants, anyone can be accountant provided you can use Accounting software or app easily and can interpret your financial records. And this software are so easy to learn that even a secondary school holder can use them.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by nelsonose: 5:52pm On Jun 22, 2021
much30:
My friend with B.Sc in banking and finance is currently in a government secondary school as a bursar and seriously rising in her career. If you have a B.Sc in banking and finance joined with Ican or Anan certification, you can attend to any level you want to attend to in your career. I know of an uncle who read Banking and finance, and also a chartered accountant who owns a chartered Accounting firm, infact he has passed the business to his children and the man is so good in auditing work. An aunty who is currently among the current council members in ICAN at national level, she has bank and finance both in her first degree and second degree, A person who ready Banking and finance and has ICAN is better equipped than someone who read only Accounting with ICAN. Because the former can handle and understand financial modelling and analysis. Accounting students were not taught to analyze businesses school. An accounting graduate cannot analyse your business except he learnt that from somewhere. And who says that government work is more lucrative than private work? It is only Nigeria that people are paying millions as bribe just to get a government job. In this era of mergers and aqusitions, startups and entrepreneurship, any Banking and finance graduate who knows her onus will make it, but the person needs to be well equip with the right certifications and skills.
Have you even thought of treasury management, this is a pure finance field and one can get the certification from CIBN. Risk management another good Field, capital market, these are finance core specialty. If I start to mention areas, infact, the whole page will be filled. So, pls allow the young man to follow his passion. If certain courses like sociology, psychology, religious studies etc still exist in Nigeria universities, I don't know by banking and finance won't exist. Please before you make assertions ask questions or investigate.

"Yes, you can be subsumed by other titles but certainly NOT Banking and Finance Officer"
Please refer to my earlier submission. By ascertaining that someone you know, having studied Banking and Finance became a Chartered Accountant, you simply corroborated my views. The man who became a Chartered Accountant from Banking and Finance background started the Accounting professional exam from the scratch unlike the man that studied Accounting at Degree level.
For the purpose of clearity, a degree in Banking and Finance is NOT USELESS but has lesser prospect than degrees from other discipline with a gazetted Scheme of Service. This is from the angle of public service.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by much30: 5:59pm On Jun 22, 2021
Banking and finance graduates are not trained to work with the government offices from start except for maybe treasury department. We are trained to work with the private sector which is more lucrative. Maybe apart from lecturing job because I love academics, I won't like to work for the government. I may also manage bursary or treasury department.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by nelsonose: 6:11pm On Jun 22, 2021
much30:
Banking and finance graduates are not trained to work with the government offices from start except for maybe treasury department. We are trained to work with the private sector which is more lucrative. Maybe apart from lecturing job because I love academics, I won't like to work for the government. I may also manage bursary or treasury department.

Yes, you may not want to work in govt but other may want. In treasury and academic department, you will be SUBSUMED by other titles and Banking and Finance Officer
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by much30: 7:06pm On Jun 22, 2021
nelsonose:

Yes, you may not want to work in govt but other may want. In treasury and academic department, you will be SUBSUMED by other titles and Banking and Finance Officer

No, I disagree with you. In academics you can start from Asst. Lecturer while in treasury department- treasury officer
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by nelsonose: 8:22pm On Jun 22, 2021
much30:

No, I disagree with you. In academics you can start from Asst. Lecturer while in treasury department- treasury officer

Lecturer or treasury cadre is not a Banking/Treasury cadre, anybody with relevant degree can assume this cadre. You cannot say same for eg, Accounting, Medicine, Law, etc.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by much30: 12:56pm On Jun 23, 2021
Let me understand what you mean, are you talking about title or opportunities in both fields.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by criuze(m): 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2021
Very relevant

Finance and banking is always relevant

The point is go for additional course like chartered accountant certs and apply any were you see from lagos to abuja and Portharcout,

Your service is needed

Nigeria has a poor capital development and distibution which made several sector not coming up with jobs, otherwise no course is waste

And almost all courses suffers the same issue at hand

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Lastbornbuns: 11:54am On Dec 03, 2021
377:

My dear forget it. Finance is more marketable in the market today compared to economics. Econs is only good on the classroom because of the way is overated but if you come to the labour market finance has more chances of securing a job than econs.

I disagree. Economics opens more doors for you than Finance. With an econ bsc you can further your studies in finance programs but you can't do most econ programs with a finance bsc. Also the mathematical aspect of econ is more than that of finance.. Economics is vast. One can even say it's the mother of finance tongue

For jobs, most require a finance related degree. From bus admin, banking and finance, accountancy, econ etc. Although both are very nice lucrative courses.

*post is kinda old.. sorry*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancy For All Class / How Authentic Is This Interview? / Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.