Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,986 members, 7,799,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Questions and answers thread on Ac System. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Questions and answers thread on Ac System. (5920 Views)

Black Gas In My Car AC System, Please Help. / Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. / Virus Attack On Car AC System. A Must Read For Car Owners With Active AC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2021
The main purpose of this thread is get more enlightened on ac system, debunk some wrong notion and show case better testing met and troubleshooting of ac system.
Let kick start this thread with this short quiz .
What do you think will be the long term effect and the most expensive repair that a clogged evaporator will cause on ac system .
N.B - answer must be supported with logical explanation .

1 Like

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Peppermintflav: 11:37pm On Jun 21, 2021
A clogged evaporator won't allow the cabin fan suck in air across the fins of the evaporator. This in turn won't allow the AC cool well. Another thing a clogged evaporator would do is the formation of ice on the body of the evaporator. This constant water logging/ Ice forming might cause corrosion on the evep, which will eventually cause leakage.

2 Likes

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Conner44: 11:58pm On Jun 21, 2021
op asked question about evaporator but included a pix of condenser.

i did not want to answer the question oh, i just wanted to point the above fact out to intending participants of this wonderful thread.

1 Like

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 5:01am On Jun 22, 2021
Conner44:
op asked question about evaporator but included a pix of condenser.

i did not want to answer the question oh, i just wanted to point the above fact out to intending participants of this wonderful thread.
It is a evaporator not a condenser, see the whole view

3 Likes

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 5:14am On Jun 22, 2021
Peppermintflav:
A clogged evaporator won't allow the cabin fan suck in air across the fins of the evaporator. This in turn won't allow the AC cool well. Another thing a clogged evaporator would do is the formation of ice on the body of the evaporator. This constant water logging/ Ice forming might cause corrosion on the evep, which will eventually cause leakage.
You are actually right, nice attempt,but this is not the biggest issue , but if I may ask further, what is the science behind the formation of ice on blocked evaporator .

2 Likes

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by BamBamK: 3:30pm On Jun 22, 2021
update ooooo....

make we learn biko

1 Like

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Kokomo: 8:47pm On Jun 22, 2021
thread looks fine

1 Like

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by 9icetoo(m): 10:13pm On Jun 22, 2021
autologic:

You are actually right, nice attempt,but this is not the biggest issue , but if I may ask further, what is the science behind the formation of ice on blocked evaporator .
Poor or no heat exchange between the surrounding air and the evaporator.

1 Like

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by chidirobert(m): 10:16pm On Jun 22, 2021
Please is there any good and honest AC technician here who stays in port Harcourt?
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Conner44: 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2021
autologic:

It is a evaporator not a condenser, see the whole view

oh my bad. continue with your good works bro.
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Aanumi16: 6:42am On Jun 23, 2021
Honmusa, this Autologic thread is alive and not being deleted as against what you posted here https://www.nairaland.com/6614995/re-deletion-autologic-thread-mods

Since it is Q&A thread,

Please does anyone knows how much is Toyota camry 09 AC cabin air filter.

Cc:
Kingreign
Nurey
Gazzuzz Autologic
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by kingreign(m): 7:07am On Jun 23, 2021
Aanumi16:
Honmusa, this Autologic thread is alive and not being deleted as against what you posted here https://www.nairaland.com/6614995/re-deletion-autologic-thread-mods

Since it is Q&A thread,

Please does anyone knows how much is Toyota camry 09 AC cabin air filter.

Cc:
Kingreign
Nurey
Gazzuzz Autologic
₦2,000-₦5,000 depending on location of purchase.
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Aanumi16: 7:23am On Jun 23, 2021
kingreign:

₦2,000-₦5,000 depending on location of purchase.

Thanks
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Peppermintflav: 8:40am On Jun 23, 2021
Also a clogged evaporator if left unchecked for long, will cause damage to the compressor. This is because whenever it freezes up, it starves the compressor of oil, also it puts pressure on the compressor, thereby causing excessive heat build up on the compressor.

2 Likes

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 7:40pm On Jun 23, 2021
Peppermintflav:
Also a clogged evaporator if left unchecked for long, will cause damage to the compressor. This is because whenever it freezes up, it starves the compressor of oil, also it puts pressure on the compressor, thereby causing excessive heat build up on the compressor.
Exactly ,the most expensive repair will be to the compressor but that is not exactly how it will damage the compressor .
I will try to discuss how a clogged evaporator can destroy compressor in subsequent page.
Kudos to you,nice attempt .
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 10:00pm On Jun 23, 2021
9icetoo:

Poor or no heat exchange between the surrounding air and the evaporator.
Yes but to put it in detail explanation:
poor airflow will drop the evaporator saturation temperature (boiling point) below 0 centigrade and will cause the air around the evaporator to freeze and this freezing will even extend up to the suction hose as show in pix below .

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 10:07pm On Jun 23, 2021
Manufacturers have already gone
ahead to prevent freezing even the airflow is restricted by designing the ac modules to trigger off the compressor whenever the evaporator temperature is tending towards 0 degrees centigrade by use of the evaporator temperature sensor .
However your ac can still freeze if there are faulty evaporator temperature sensor or wrong use of ac thermostat and setting it below 0 degree done by some local ac technicians

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 10:24pm On Jun 23, 2021
So if you see your compressor is perpetually cycling off and on ,in most cases the evaporator has gotten near 0 degrees due to restricted airflow and the control module is purposely turning it off the ac to prevent freezing of the evaporator and the ac pipes thereby protecting your compressor from effect of frozen evaporator ,which now will now takes us to the next question:
How can a restricted airflow to the evaporator damage a compressor
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Mrford(m): 6:01am On Jun 24, 2021
chidirobert:
Please is there any good and honest AC technician here who stays in port Harcourt?

What's wrong with your car ac?
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Brunel(m): 7:38am On Jun 24, 2021
check Mrford here on NL
chidirobert:
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Brunel(m): 7:39am On Jun 24, 2021
you don already reach here boss cool grin

Mrford:

What's wrong with your car ac?
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Mrford(m): 8:07am On Jun 24, 2021
Brunel:
you don already reach here boss cool grin

wink wink
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by Agbabiakara: 12:10pm On Jun 24, 2021
Nice thread.

1 Like

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by HEAVEN4444: 9:15am On Jun 25, 2021
clogged evaporator means the cold air is not being released into the cabin and so this cold is recycled into the system and with time will reduce the efficiency of the system.

lol just my laymans answer

1 Like

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by zabimaru: 10:54am On Jun 26, 2021
autologic:
So if you see your compressor is perpetually cycling off and on ,in most cases the evaporator has gotten near 0 degrees due to restricted airflow and the control module is purposely turning it off the ac to prevent freezing of the evaporator and the ac pipes thereby protecting your compressor from effect of frozen evaporator ,which now will now takes us to the next question:
How can a restricted airflow to the evaporator damage a compressor

it will definitely damage the compressor by making sure the compressor gets damaged.
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by obidevine(m): 3:03pm On Aug 31, 2021
@autologic. I'm having issues with my ac system. My evaporator had a leak on it before but has been replaced with a new hbs evaporator, a new expansion valve and some desiccant and compressor oii and a new cabin filter.

After everything was fixed the technician put in that cheb gas that has JJ okocha face on it. After all this i realized that my ac only cools when the weather is cold in the morning and in the cool evening but does not cool when the weather is hot in the afternoon. I thought it was because the cheb okocha gas is low quality. I then removed all the gas and put new harp gas because I was told harp is of better quality. But the problem of not cooling during hot weather still persists. Please what could be the cause of this?
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 8:50pm On Aug 31, 2021
obidevine:
@autologic. I'm having issues with my ac system. My evaporator had a leak on it before but has been replaced with a new hbs evaporator, a new expansion valve and some desiccant and compressor oii and a new cabin filter.

After everything was fixed the technician put in that cheb gas that has JJ okocha face on it. After all this i realized that my ac only cools when the weather is cold in the morning and in the cool evening but does not cool when the weather is hot in the afternoon. I thought it was because the cheb okocha gas is low quality. I then removed all the gas and put new harp gas because I was told harp is of better quality. But the problem of not cooling during hot weather still persists. Please what could be the cause of this?

I am strong believer of making use of technical data to support my analysis ,I don't do guess talk cos there a lot of variables to consider ranging from low refrigerant, clogged systems, mismatched expansion valve, over filling, worn compressor ,might even be airflow issue etc
Look for ac technican with ac diagnostics toolz
i.e the ac manifold guage ,and take pressure reading of suction and liquid side at both different condition of compressor off and compressor runing as depicted below and post it here for analysis.

2 Likes

Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by 2special(m): 4:53pm On Nov 29, 2021
Nice
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by automine(m): 3:28pm On Jan 03, 2022
Hello autologic..

I need you to help diagnose my AC, presently the compressor is packed up.

Where is your location please.
Thanks
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2022
automine:
Hello autologic..

I need you to help diagnose my AC, presently the compressor is packed up.

Where is your location please.
Thanks
Nigerian Airforce Vehicle Repair Base
onipetesi bus stop ,ikeja ,agege road lagos .
https://maps.app./RswGgpc4j4tFUb1T7
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by izaac23(m): 6:41am On Jan 04, 2022
Hello autologic.

My A/C used to be very cool at lowest that it freezes my hand when holding my steering to drive if I don't adjust the circulation vent away from my hand.

But now, the lowest does not even blow the air strong enough to touch me like before and it's not nearly as cool as before again (although it still cool sha) and when I engage the a/c, it makes this bad dragging sound like the exhaus is blown (but is not) when I accelerate from a static point and the sound clears up when the car is on the run.
Some people say is normal that is engine is loaded up, that why it makes the sound, but some say the sound is from the compressor, that I shud have it checked.

The car is Corolla 2003, pls help.
Re: Questions and answers thread on Ac System. by autologic: 7:16am On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:
Hello autologic.

My A/C used to be very cool at lowest that it freezes my hand when holding my steering to drive if I don't adjust the circulation vent away from my hand.

But now, the lowest does not even blow the air strong enough to touch me like before and it's not nearly as cool as before again (although it still cool sha) and when I engage the a/c, it makes this bad dragging sound like the exhaus is blown (but is not) when I accelerate from a static point and the sound clears up when the car is on the run.
Some people say is normal that is engine is loaded up, that why it makes the sound, but some say the sound is from the compressor, that I shud have it checked.

The car is Corolla 2003, pls help.

No relationship btw the ac not cooling fine and the noise on putting on the ac .
For the ac not cooling fine,degraded performances due to any of these possibilities can be responsible : dirty pollen filters, non condensable gas mixing with the refrigerant inside the system,dirty condenser etc ,best bet have it check up by a competent ac tech .
Noise can be as result of worn belt,bad rollers etc ,physical inspection is needed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bugatti Veyron: The Most Expensive Car In The World! / Importing New Original Spare Parts To Nigeria / Lexus ES350 Review Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.