Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Share Your Career Transition Experience - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Share Your Career Transition Experience (10277 Views)

Career Transition In To Tech / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! / Job Change And Career Transition For Professionals / Executives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Historicalee: 12:59pm On Jun 25, 2021
Muleriders:
Had first degree in chemistry.
Didn't practice it because I got a micro finance Job after nysc. From micro-finance, I moved to commercial bank.

I got tired of banking and decided to learn coding (website and mobile app development).

Found myself in between two worlds. Business and tech. Then I decided to do MBA in Trump-land Biden-land with concentration in business and data analytics.

With that, I am able to blend both the business world and tech world

How long did it take to transit from the banking sector to tech? What informed your transition decision?

Did you get your MBA through a scholarship programme?
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by benisabel292: 1:07pm On Jun 25, 2021
This is awesome
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by abumeinben(m): 1:43pm On Jun 25, 2021
captainbangz:
Masters? or you intend starting afresh?
Masters
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Babatundeh26: 1:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
Graduated in 2016 with a BSc in Political Science and 2019 with a Diploma in Public Sector Economics. Worked at a Micro Credit Company earning 66k from 2017 till I resigned in 2020. I'm currently a 1st year nursing student.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by captainbangz: 2:08pm On Jun 25, 2021
abumeinben:
Masters
Nice, I am thinking the Elect/Comp. Engr. way too by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by auwalyau: 3:51pm On Jun 25, 2021
My office colleague's daughter left year 2 MBBS (doing well result wise) at UNILAG and followed her passion; graduated with a 2.1 BSc. Geology, got a Total MSc scholarship, graduated with Distinction from Total IFP France, and now employed and working as an international staff at TotalEnergies HQ in France.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Historicalee: 4:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
mrfreestuff:
Do these change of course actually qualify to be described as career transition? Methinks career transition is like studying and qualifying first in one career and then shifting to another entirely different career, completing your training there and going on to practice to earn a living from practicing the New career. Not starting as a chemistry student and leaving for Law via new admission or change of course. A good example of career transition can be if as a Licensed Pharmacist , you transitioned to become an Advertising Expert or Banking Professional or becoming a professional soccer player. Some years later, you may still revert back to practice as a Pharmacist but at the moment you have already attained the career and transitioned to another is what can be regarded as career transition.

True. Let's just say it boils down to doing something different from your core specialization regardless of the level you attained.

If you have a BSc in Microbiology, MSc in Medical Microbiology and you're currently the head of the human resources unit of your organization, we could still say it's a career transition for the sake of covering a broader scope in order to lend valuable insight to undergraduates, fresh graduates and other associated parties who are on the verge of making a transition.

Your observation is thoughtful, well-received and insightful. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 25, 2021
captainbangz:
Sir, an EEE student here. I am thinking about going for telecommunications and Electronics. What's has your experience been like in the telecom industry?. I have two uncles who work at TCN, why TCN?

Telecomm/Electronics is diverse, with more of opportunities. I can say it works hand in hand with ICT.

I studied Elect-Elect because I really nursed interest in power (electricity). The likeness got kindled the day I felt electric shock as a boy (at JSS 1 or 2 then) & why the NEPA can't give people enough electricity knowing fully that importance of light in our day-to-day activities cannot be overemphasized. Unlike many then, I needed no one to tell me about Science, Art & Commercial classes coz I had made my finding about the class I would attend for my dream. My main interest lies in having practical knowledge in power generation.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by maiquel: 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2021
cloud7:
My Brother, Pls. How can i reach you? I need to discuss with you.Thanks

Send me a Dm. ..mail
I'll respond as soon as I see it
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by maiquel: 5:09pm On Jun 25, 2021
Innoxxacs:
you trade futures too?
Nope.
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Tobiadiks(m): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2021
Still an undergraduate 3rd Year Industrial Chemistry.

I knew I was supposed to be a computer scientist but jamb spoilt my jamboree.

Currently I am at the verge of becoming a full-time software developer.

Same time I have to be smart to get my BSC so I can be able to use it at my advantage.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by captainbangz: 5:28pm On Jun 25, 2021
SimplyFacts:

Telecomm is diverse, with more of opportunities. I can say it works hand in hand with ICT.

I studied Elect-Elect because I really nursed interest in power (electricity). The likeness got kindled the day I felt electric shock as a boy (at JSS 1 or 2 then) & why the NEPA can't give people enough electricity knowing fully that importance of light in our day-to-day activities cannot be overemphasized. Unlike many then, I needed no one to tell me about Science, Art & Commercial classes coz I had made my finding about the class I would attend for my dream. My main interest lies in having practical knowledge in power generation.
Thank you very much. lol@ the bolded. God make your/our dreams come through.

From the very first day I know how to write my name, I fell in love with moving parts( Mechanical Engineering). But had to switch lanes, because my Uncle (one of those mentioned) thought it's better. But by God's grace, I am not doing bad academically touring that(EEE) route. Thanks for your time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by captainbangz: 5:30pm On Jun 25, 2021
auwalyau:
My office colleague's daughter left year 2 MBBS (doing well result wise) at UNILAG and followed her passion; graduated with a 2.1 BSc. Geology, got a Total MSc scholarship, graduated with Distinction from Total IFP France, and now employed and working as an international staff at TotalEnergies HQ in France.
God! when?
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Historicalee: 5:31pm On Jun 25, 2021
Tenplet:
Am a bigtime fashion designer ...i want to further my education ,but am having problem selecting the course I will study .ps.I did science..am eyeing courses with high employment rate .some one should suggest which I should go for

Can you afford to travel abroad for study?

Do you have a reliable team that can deliver without close supervision?
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Emioluwa: 6:24pm On Jun 25, 2021
moshuur:

Did u combine both d software and hardware (phone engineering)??

I think d software aspect has less competition when compared with hardonware
Only the hardware aspect, lack of laptop restricted me that's what is stopping me from learning programming. I need laptop seriously but no money
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Hybbee(m): 7:30pm On Jun 25, 2021
Tenplet:
Am a bigtime fashion designer ...i want to further my education ,but am having problem selecting the course I will study .ps.I did science..am eyeing courses with high employment rate .some one should suggest which I should go for
go for BSC in entrepreneurial studies...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by CsRockefeller(m): 7:55pm On Jun 25, 2021
auwalyau:

It's the audacity for me. I doff my hat for her.

#boldmove

1 Like

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Richdee1(m): 8:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
jospepper:
Hmm... Op, mine is not straight forward sha.

I read Textile Science and Technology,
After my service year in 2011, I went into offline training in skills like cosmetics products production

when my contract with the NGO ended in 2014, I set up a laundry shop and ran it till 2017

2018 I got a job as the Manager of a Globacom partner Agency

2020 COVID19 came, I was laid off

2020 August I got a Job as the City Manager with a new Chinese Phone brand in charge of Benue and Nasarawa States

2021 May I resigned from the company.

Right now I am running a POS business while looking for another job.

How do you guys get this NGO Jobs??
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by jospepper(m): 8:24pm On Jun 25, 2021
Richdee1:

How do you guys get this NGO Jobs??
it was based on recommendation.
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by scave(m): 9:25pm On Jun 25, 2021
I studied business administration after graduation I realize someone that study Yoruba can snatch my job, getting job was hard so I decided to learn programming, I am a software developer now.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by waywardpikin: 10:36pm On Jun 25, 2021
CsRockefeller:
OND in Business Administration
Bsc in Economics.
AAT in Accounting.

Worked briefly as an Accountant (not Chartered)

Currently working as a Digital Marketer.

Also worked as a Teller after my OND, worked as a Teacher/Adminstrative Intern during my NYSC. Worked as a Sales Manager in a boutique after NYSC, still worked as an Accountant in 3 different organizations after NYSC.

I'm 28 and I'm tired, things haven't gone the way I expected, thought I would get my big break when I made it to NNPC Towers for the Graduate Associate interview in 2019.

This Digital Marketing is good but I long for something more, anyone who can help me with a good job or a loan to start up a biz, I would be grateful.

By the way, I'm looking for Nsikak from Bells University, I used to teach him back then but found out early this year that he was the boy Obasanjo adopted on his visit to Akwa Ibom years ago, I would be grateful if anyone can help me patch me through him, I don try everything I don tire, I'm 28 and no where close to Eureka!

No such thing as eureka bro. It's about the journey, not the destination. You'll get there. Believe!

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Richdee1(m): 12:42am On Jun 26, 2021
jospepper:
it was based on recommendation.
What did you study?
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by lasheun: 6:11am On Jun 26, 2021
Gmajor:

Summary of what?
You haven't answered the answer to the question op posted

I just answered the question nah.
That's the summary �
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by oyetunjibaba: 6:12am On Jun 26, 2021
Babatundeh26:
Graduated in 2016 with a BSc in Political Science and 2019 with a Diploma in Public Sector Economics. Worked at a Micro Credit Company earning 66k from 2017 till I resigned in 2020. I'm currently a 1st year nursing student.

wow! Thats impressive,namesake, are u studying nursing science in university or SON?
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by PacAmaru: 8:25am On Jun 26, 2021
waywardpikin:

No such thing as eureka bro. It's about the journey, not the destination. You'll get there. Believe!
what's eureka bro? Good morning
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by VERTEX1: 9:08am On Jun 26, 2021
Mindlog:
Mine was Accounting, went back to school to study Counselling Psychology because of my interest in mental health and presently working in a psychiatric hospital while pushing for a specialty in Clinical Child Psychology.

I love the field I work in as it is very exciting, some much to learn and the joy it invokes when I see patients/clients I work with are making progress is indescribable.

Currently doing psychology can you let me pm u
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by Mindlog: 9:12am On Jun 26, 2021
VERTEX1:

Currently doing psychology can you let me pm u

You can.
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by jospepper(m): 1:05pm On Jun 26, 2021
Richdee1:

What did you study?
Textile Science and Technology.
Re: Share Your Career Transition Experience by DonroxyII: 12:02am On Jun 27, 2021
Muleriders:
Had first degree in chemistry.
Didn't practice it because I got a micro finance Job after nysc. From micro-finance, I moved to commercial bank.

I got tired of banking and decided to learn coding (website and mobile app development).

Found myself in between two worlds. Business and tech. Then I decided to do MBA in Trump-land Biden-land with concentration in business and data analytics.

With that, I am able to blend both the business world and tech world
B.sc Accounting(aced)
M.sc Accounting (aced)
ICAN(ACA) : One paper to Japa !
then Career transition into Data analytics and ultimately Data Science ....
thinking MBA Business Economics
M.sc International Economics, Finance and Development
PhD Economics and Finance ...

Business world now needs to be blended with InfoTech in order to be well rooted as an analyst !!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! / 8 Police Officers Sacked, 6 Demoted By Lagos Police Command / Taraba Teachers Pray Over Unpaid Salaries (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.