Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria (11626 Views)

What Fintech Ideas Do You Think Startups In Nigeria Are Not Addressing? / Why Are All Tech Startups In Nigeria Fintechs? / Funding Opportunity For Tech-startups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by NLmopol(m): 9:44am On Jul 09, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Look at the underlines sentence...hmmm. Have you ever noticed that many fairly average or even poor students in Nigeria usually get outstanding (first class) grades when they travel out? I know many who finished with 3rd class division and they ended up having super high CGPA for their masters and PhD in foreign universities. I remember reading a story of a guy whose teachers were forced to ask him take IQ test, and he happens to be a genius. There is something wrong with our system.
You are wise really!!!
The truth is clear, but we dont want to accept it. How can Borno student's cut off mark to government model colleges is 2 point? What kind of nons.ense is that? While that of Anambra is over 130. Lol. How can a person like Buhari lead Nigeria? You cannot compare is IQ to Osinbajo. Not possible. How can someone who is an Islamic phd holder be minister of Communical and Digital Economy? What does Pantami know about digital economy and tech? He was suppose to lead the Nigerian delegates to Silicon Valley, but Buhari himself knows he is not able, and he had to send Osinbajo. The Nigerian system puts du.llards in positions real brains should occupy. And they block good things from happening. This is what corruption and nepotism do.

I talked about 2D printing above. Since toy you mentioned it again, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5OgZkf74Q
This new technology drives down the cost of housing by 60% in one documentary I watched. That was a bungalow, but this one is a 2 storey building meaning that the decking is concrete. Not just fixing wood. You know that the houses which are fixed easily get burned when there is fire disaster. This is huge sir. You can imagine having a printer using cement as its ink. Laying metals, etc. This is huge.

This is purely AI. Lol. Watch this video for the concept you talked about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6piefdXjL8
This one even covers a wider range. It can be used in a whole city. You can imagine using this technology in Lagos, this is huge. This is what we can implement here sir. And as a matter of fact, it is a project I have a team working on.

If we create the right atmosphere, we can do better, but it looting we want to do. Even parents dont care what their children do to make money as long as they are settled. Hushpuppi is a business man until....lol.

smiley

They are making money via bandits. Lol.

Nairaland should be better than this. I see a new "thing" making NL obsolete very soon. You know it seemed Yahoo was the god of internet, but innovation got rid of it. And google is just advancing and innovating. Google isn't sleeping like how yahoo slept in thos days. Nairaland is the typical example here. grin

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 10, 2021
I have received some emails, but please, I need innovative brains. I am not just going to start discussing with everyone. I am too busy for this. I need someone who can think deep and solve problems. Knowing website development is an added advantage, but not the main skill I really need. Seriously, I can get enough hands at a very cheap cost to design any website whether ecommerce or even advance stuff for me. I am not trying to offend anyone, but telling you my mind. Ok...Let me give you an example:

Problem
Scarcity of farm helping hands is a big problem in the southern part of Nigeria. Most southerners don't want to work in the farm again, except workers from the North. The challenge is that you are inviting Fulani to your community doing this. In fact, most communities in the southern regions are beginning to kick against workers from the north. There are other options like getting from neighboring countries, but also attached to this options many challenges too.

Robotic technology and AI solutions for vegetable farming
Kindly watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxuVzVJ_xRE
While this looks so intimidating, I agree may be really huge to achieve at this moment cos of the cost. You will be hearing "millions and millions" of naira to contract with any of these agro tech manufacturers. Though, I do not give up on it as I know it is still possible, but at this very moment, I am opened to trouble shooting and precision vegetable farming with drones. Look at the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv086rHYwvQ
Pictures attached explain some of the things needed. Ok. Its cheaper to buy a drone. Thank God the tech is not that expensive again. Ooops! For example, I have identified hundreds of diseases in some crops and I hope to use images to identify them. Drones can easily do this for me. One can easily cover large acres of land and inspect quickly. Also, the idea of spot spraying is great. One detects some problems and them deploy drone to do fast spot spraying. Also, the 3rd picture is a pictorial view analysis which agronomists use for precision farming.

Guess what? I want to fly drones from the comfort zone of my home and troubleshoot for farmers. And can do it from any part of the world. You can imagine how useful this is.

I pick vegetables cos it is so profitable but herdsmen issue and lack of workers are not making farmers in the south do it. OK. Look at this. On an acre, recent tech can produce 40 tons of tomatoes. You can imagine managing 50 acres with this. This is huge. That's saying one gets 2000tons. Now, go to market and get the wholesale present price of tomato. A basket of 35kg costs about N20,000 presently. So that total sales of 50 acres is N1.1billion. Of course profit can be around 50 to 85% depending on many factors. Duration is normally 7 months but can spread to a year project. Of course you that do not know where real money is, I am telling you where it is.

Now, I do not need a programmer who will come around and want to take cash upfront. I need people who are joining the tech department team and pay during harvest period. This is what I'm talking about. I do not need to start discussing childish things, but I want real guys who are into stuff like this. Guys who can use their brains. Of course, I have non Nigerians working with me, but it will be nice to have Nigerians in my team. Why? I am moving abroad for a long time very soon to start real doctoral research. So, I am building a team at home before I leave.

This is not the only project I am doing. There are still some more. But I will release this one here so that whoever has something in his arsenal can contact me. Even it is not AI or Robotic, if I find it interesting, I will contact the fellow. Send me emails about what you can do. Not just sending texts or emails asking for my WhatsApp. It doesnt work like this.

1 Like

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Kennyking1234: 1:08pm On Jul 10, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:
Characteristics of CEOs programmers need to cultivate in Nigeria

Please, kindly take note of the poster above, and use him as an example. To be a CEO, you must be well grounded in many areas. Also, your IQ must be high so that no one needs to explain and re-explain a point before you understand the concept. And you must not be stubborn to argue what is obvious to you that is the right answer. You need to be able to read body language when dealing with clients and investors face to face, and also be very sharp to blend and quickly grab the path a discussion is going.

You even kill yourself more when you loud the path you want the discussion go, instead of listening. The main area most Nigerians fail is that they do not listen. Imagine, is "Nigeria is now in an industrialized state and able to take the opportunity" same as "Nigeria is already rich as the US in 1940?". I mean how does someone mix up the main discussion and still continue exposing himself to ridicule? This is exactly the attitude I talked about. I told you earlier, bring the work of a failed or struggling programmer or that of an ordinary person in Nigeria, and I will show you his/her errors. This person above is talking about the GDP of Nigeria now compared to the US in 1940 and using it to argue. Did I ever write that the GDP of Nigeria is like that of the US was in 1940s? In economics term, what he is talking about is the GDP. I dont understand how someone will start an argument which is not there? His problem is that he has a shallow knowledge of economics. Lol. grin And the energy used for such argument, one always imagine if this person cannot use it into developing his IQ? But he sees it that I am abusing him. Too bad. Stupidity is terrible. undecided

China did not have the GDP of the US when Americans started outsourcing production there. We are ready for industrialization is the main focus here, and why is it so? This is what this person above should ask instead of just exposing himself.

Nigerian Human Capital is rich and affordable
Someone created a thread I made comment there asking why programmers in Nigeria cannot set up their businesses while we have the talent. Let me put the link here:
https://www.nairaland.com/6618977/what-stopping-building-own-company#103100872

Our Human Capital is Rich and affordable
Our human capital is rich because we have talents here. But it is affordable or let me say it is cheap. Ok. For instance, a manager earning N600,000 is a big boy/babe in Naija. Now, let's convert the cash into $. It is just around $1,200. Damn it! Let's use CBN rate when naira was ok...at N380 to $ (remember CBN rate is around N415 presently), its $1,578. Ha ba! This is M-level Manager ooo. Let's go down to workers. Minimum wage in naija is N30,000. And many find it hard to pay. Let's convert this amount to per hour. 8am to 5pm job is 9 hrs, and that is 234 hours per month. So that per hour in naija is N128. Waooo. Convert this to $, you get $0.28 at N450. Imagine, the amount we pay unskilled workers who are the driving force of production is $0.28 per hour. Tell me why Americans will not rush down here to pay $2 per hour when they know we are smart enough to produce what they want. And at that $2 per hour, it is N210,000 monthly salary for each worker. Now, tell me if the whole Nigerian new and old graduates will not abandon white collar job and do unskilled activities for even N150,000 naira which is less than $1.5 per hour. When you have the brain of a CEO you can think with numbers and facts. Come on! Is there any American here who can tell us the minimum wage per hour in his/her state in the US? Please, if there is an american here, kindly help me out. I swear, I will honor you here. Please come here.

The Induatrial age is the availability of Willing Talents for production
We are in the industrial age because all what is left for the advance nation to see is that they are safe and that power is available. There are many nations with constant power and are safe but are "no go areas" for the Americans. Why? Their human capital is not rich. They arent that smart and active. Chinese are smart and active. And all they provided was the atmosphere for the americans to come and establish factories there. And that was it. This was the reason the British invested heavily in Hong Kong.

Please, programmers who intend to be CEOs, learn from this person constituting nuisance of himself here. Try to understand the path of the subject of discussion rather than arguing your points blindly. You will lose customers and investors with this attitude. And this attitude is what I have been talking about. They write codes for you, and you call them to explain what they built is not doing what you want, instead of them to listen, they start telling you what they think you need. They start arguing they have given you the real stuff you need. I mean, they push you to punching them in the face and knock out their front teeth, but as a gentle man/lady, just let the person go. If not, you will get more annoyed. And this is why they do not make it. It is what is in their mind they want to do, and will always do. Mainwhile, what is in their mind is what they see their colleagues do. And perhaps something else is needed to be done. They see their colleague "hammer it hard" in finance, automatically they start looking into developing similar apps in finance. Lol. Many of them even start developing exact product like the guy who hammered. What a ridiculous way!!!
very nice points sir
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:41am On Jul 19, 2021
In Developing Countries
The challenge with many is the angle poverty has boxed them. I was going through many old threads, and I realised that many self acclaimed mentors here cannot think deep. One of them boldly wrote that he doesnt understand why people go into AI in Nigeria. And I just smiled. He is a present day person. And he cannot think deep. While I sympathize with them for not being able to lolk forward, I wish them luck.

If I do not break and destroy the terrible idea they have put in you, we will not head anywhere. Listen to me, do not let them push you into their continuous hustling way. If you sre gifted, get on board. Get out of their boats, and step up. They have decided not to be great because they have reached their limit. You get out.

Deep Learning
It is deep learning. When you also cannot think deep yourself, how will you be able to do it? So, dont allow anyone make you think like them. Listen to me, dont make anyone your mentor here. You are making a big mistake doing that. Everything you need, google will help you. Ask google. Lol.

I cannot divulge everything, but think of this:

Just do it
Do not think anyone will be your mentor here. Why? You are heading into an area only less than 0.1% Nigerian programmers are in. So, you see that you are a lone ranger. This is why I always say that get a side hustle. I have talked about this in some threads which arent mine.

Can you solve fraudulent problems
If you can write fraud algorithms., you are a solid hot cake if you can adopt it to detecting electoral frauds. Na so bro! If you hit one deal, you are made. It is why I said that this area is not pocket money arena. It is the real stuff. But before you can do this, you must be financially OK. And the truth is that almost every good guy or babe with programming has one or two side hustles. Instead of going for the 3rd hustle, start tweaking your brain.

Want to play with data, look into Trading for experience
Again, as a financial guy, you can trade any financial instrument with AI better than human. When you understand this you will laugh at many auto trading stuff out there. In fact, trading is the first place to get started. Why? Data for trading is cheap these days. So go and see how you can innovate or play with it. You may not get rich here, but you can build yourself with this cos of how easy you get data. Data isn't cheap. It is the main thing..

It is all about numbers
Everything is about data. We have a pattern we do things. And if we can convert them into numbers, that is it. Nigeria is notorious with keep data and history, but we are trying. However, Nigeria has really tried so much in finance when it comes to data. There are endless things you can do.

Building a Chef
Do you really understand how many rich bachelors out there who will get your machine which can cook Nigerian dishes? Of course, it is not as expensive or hard as many think cos they dont know that some things have already been done. It is just algorithms you need to put there. And if you need something else, think deep how to do it. Yeah! I agree this may not be the first thing you should do, but believe me, if you think this will not sell, you are in your Island. Boys will rush you. You are a friend of rich spoilt kids. In fact, you may end up becoming friends of extremely rich girls who wants freedom. A beg, forget it. When you can think deep, the sky is the limit.

I cannot do all. I can only put inspirations here. I am pursuing an area personally, but I can write about things you should focus on.

Start thinking deep!

4 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by mosesdejaviano(m): 12:43pm On Jul 19, 2021
@PeacejoyLove, kudos to your write-up. I read all your write-ups on this thread and they are top-notch. I like your style of writing.

I understand the angle from which you are writing. And this is very good. We need more of such writings.

Concerning being innovative, I think people that comes from other careers such as finance, agriculture and health to IT field have practicable ideas better than a full core IT guy from the beginning.

For example, I am a Clinical Dietitian with about 10years experience. I came into the field of IT in 2019. I saw that there is a huge gap and the necessity of IT in the field of Human Nutrition and Dietetics in Nigeria.

These innovative ideas are brought up by experiences gotten by years of working in the field of nutrition.

There are certain fields that require core IT guys to collaborate with experts in those various fields to be able to bring out innovative ideas that will be practicable in those fields.

I will continue to read more of your write-ups. Please I sent you an e-mail. Kindly respond to it.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 19, 2021
mosesdejaviano:
@PeacejoyLove, kudos to your write-up. I read all your write-ups on this thread and they are top-notch. I like your style of writing.

I understand the angle from which you are writing. And this is very good. We need more of such writings.

Concerning being innovative, I think people that comes from other careers such as finance, agriculture and health to IT field have practicable ideas better than a full core IT guy from the beginning.

For example, I am a Clinical Dietitian with about 10years experience. I came into the field of IT in 2019. I saw that there is a huge gap and the necessity of IT in the field of Human Nutrition and Dietetics in Nigeria.

These innovative ideas are brought up by experiences gotten by years of working in the field of nutrition.

There are certain fields that require core IT guys to collaborate with experts in those various fields to be able to bring out innovative ideas that will be practicable in those fields.

I will continue to read more of your write-ups. Please I sent you an e-mail. Kindly respond to it.

Thanks.

Thank you sir. You are right. Let me show you something. The US know that business people with experience are people who can think well. So for their researches, go and look at the kinds who are admited for PhD Business in top schools in the US. They are fresh undergraduates from engineering, computer science, and some mathematical disciplines cos they want people who can think very deep, or experienced people with minimum of 10 years.

One can also achieve the skills of being a deep thinker with experience. And I am happy you gat my point. These young lads who are programmers dont know how to think well. They must work under a deep thinker. But they aren't humble.

I know a 65 years old Naija man who vexed and picked up Python. Today, baba is doing well. Cos these boys are frustrators. And its not their fault. Naira is "yeye" now. Just imagine. They are even getting cash now after covid pandemic in the US. Indians are doing "yanga" now. So, they are giving more Naija boys remote jobs. Imagine a US company who pays an American $4,500 monthly, and then, finds an Indian man who agrees to take $2,500....is this not good? O boy, it is even juicy to find a smart Naija boy who gladly accepts $500. Oga, Buhari don turn that $500 to N247,500 oooo. Yeeepa! Imagine the guy dazzles them and they just say, let's upgrade him to Indian level, that is N1.2million for the boy or month. Tell me how this boy will not slap you if you tell him rubbish. grin It is the reason some of them are mannerless. Meanwhile, na peanut the boy is making compared to what is in the cooler.

Bros....money is in the air. Tap into it via your computer. This is legit and comfort from your room.

As regards dietetics, I went deeply into it during the pandemic. And I tell you that this is a huge area. Bros...I want to load something out but I have some technical challenges which I pray to solve soon. Do you know the number of people with Diabetics, high blood pressure, infections, autoimmune diseases which are aggravated or caused by poor diets? Yes, this is an area where there is big cash sir. I know how huge this business is when I started relating with oncologists. Sir, the money sick man spends is not small oooo. Hmmm!

2 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by mosesdejaviano(m): 4:11pm On Jul 19, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Thank you sir. You are right. Let me show you something. The US know that business people with experience are people who can think well. So for their researches, go and look at the kinds who are admited for PhD Business in top schools in the US. They are fresh undergraduates from engineering, computer science, and some mathematical disciplines cos they want people who can think very deep, or experienced people with minimum of 10 years.

One can also achieve the skills of being a deep thinker with experience. And I am happy you gat my point. These young lads who are programmers dont know how to think well. They must work under a deep thinker. But they aren't humble.

I know a 65 years old Naija man who vexed and picked up Python. Today, baba is doing well. Cos these boys are frustrators. And its not their fault. Naira is "yeye" now. Just imagine. They are even getting cash now after covid pandemic in the US. Indians are doing "yanga" now. So, they are giving more Naija boys remote jobs. Imagine a US company who pays an American $4,500 monthly, and then, finds an Indian man who agrees to take $2,500....is this not good? O boy, it is even juicy to find a smart Naija boy who gladly accepts $500. Oga, Buhari don turn that $500 to N247,500 oooo. Yeeepa! Imagine the guy dazzles them and they just say, let's upgrade him to Indian level, that is N1.2million for the boy or month. Tell me how this boy will not slap you if you tell him rubbish. grin It is the reason some of them are mannerless. Meanwhile, na peanut the boy is making compared to what is in the cooler.

Bros....money is in the air. Tap into it via your computer. This is legit and comfort from your room.

As regards dietetics, I went deeply into it during the pandemic. And I tell you that this is a huge area. Bros...I want to load something out but I have some technical challenges which I pray to solve soon. Do you know the number of people with Diabetics, high blood pressure, infections, autoimmune diseases which are aggravated or caused by poor diets? Yes, this is an area where there is big cash sir. I know how huge this business is when I started relating with oncologists. Sir, the money sick man spends is not small oooo. Hmmm!

This is plain truth but so pathetic. My supervisor during my master's degree days is a Professor of Medicine. He ventured into software development around the age of 65 too. He was the first person that developed a software for all our indegenious foods with their nutrient content.

He was patented for the software product. And I can tell you that it is a multi-million producing product. That is the only software we use when making diet plans and Nutritional recommendations.

There are huge gold mine that lies in every field that has interactions with people in Nigeria.

God will help us all. Thanks for your contribution.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 19, 2021
mosesdejaviano:

This is plain truth but so pathetic. My supervisor during my master's degree days is a Professor of Medicine. He ventured into software development around the age of 65 too. He was the first person that developed a software for all our indegenious foods with their nutrient content.

He was patented for the software product. And I can tell you that it is a multi-million producing product. That is the only software we use when making diet plans and Nutritional recommendations.

There are huge gold mine that lies in every field that has interactions with people in Nigeria.

God will help us all. Thanks for your contribution.

The old man might have gone round, but the 20s youth he met were unserious. Lol. Necessity is the mother of invention. He took the pain and did it himself. Such hardly happen in the western world. I am happy you can see the issues.

Just like you said, every field has it's own goldmine, and we just need to find the right language to achieve our goals.

But unfortunately, most programmers are only hustlers. But I'm encouraging them to wake up. Hustle. Fine. It's good. But I know that after around 24 months of hustling, at least the person should be comfortable. That's the time to start innovating.

1 Like

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:38am On Jul 20, 2021
Innovation is David
Did you read what I have just written? Innovation's second name is David. And who is David? The killer of the giant Goliath. Hahahaha! David had to invent a small weapon to kill the giant. Same way, you cannot compete with business giants. You must kill the giant to prosper. And how do kill the giant? Do you expect to kill the giant with the same skills, tools, and methods used by the giant? The giant is an expert in the game already using those features excellently. David wore the kind of armor Goliath had worn all his life, but was too heavy. David had to dump it and picked up what he had mastered which was small but did the job perfectly by weakening the giant. And then finished the giant with the giant's weapon. You must bring new stuff on board to at least weaken the giant. Catch the giant unaware, and kill him/her/it permanently. Remove its/his/her roots. Take that market share from the giant and dont lose it again.

Kodak, the greatest "mumu" of all time
Kodak is the greatest mumu of all time in Photography. Why? This yeye coy started digital photography. Invested so much in it, but cos the tech was just beyond human at the time, kodak concentrated on using films. They were making massive money on photo films with those old styles. Making money on picture papers, inks, etc. So, they refused to bring on board digital. And they sold the tech they developed in order to recover money for the investment on the research. They felt they were a giant who could not be defeated. Today where is Kodak? They made the first websites like Instagram and refused to use it. Why? They want to keep selling more physical frames for photos albums. Today we have digital collections of photos and we share digitally. Where is Kodak? Lol.

Read this Harvard Review on Kodak: https://hbr.org/2016/07/kodaks-downfall-wasnt-about-technology

Nairaland, a case study
I researched deeply Nairaland. Let's be frank about it. What innovative actions or upgrades do we get here? Who knows? Imagine google or FB is like this, what do you think would have happened? This is to show you that we are not innovative enough in Nigeria. The innovative ones are checking out. Who blames them? Why would anyone who is innovative want to overtake NL? When there are better things to do outside Nigeria. When there is cooler cash out there. Why should any sane person want to do it?

Well, the love of Nigeria can. And if it is done well, there may be fruits here. Let us face reality, this is a redundant giant. I mean it without any apology. I am very frank and straight forward. Now listen, guys in diaspora who are reading me. This post may be for someone or a group of people, there is money in Naija. Trust me. You know what it takes to give Nigerians something great. You can do it. Please, do something. It is only innovation which can do it.

Yeah! I have seen many people doing exact same thing as NL. Lol. How can you beat a giant with the same approach the giant has mastered? How?

Three giants were killed
In the 90s, three giants were so strong I couldn't even imagine they can be defeated. They are: Yahoo, MSN and AOL. Your email had to be: @yahoo, @hotmail, @aol or their siblings at that time. You wanted to search, it was either yahoo or MSN's bing, or aol search. Front Page news was about these 3 giants too. Wow! I could not even imagine a time would come these giants will be defeated. But what happened? Google came on board.

Google focused at that time in just on one business area of these 3 giants - search engine. And we can see the continous innovation google is doing till date using AI algorithms now. Amazing stuff. It's easy to Google even programming codes now. Lol. Google killed these 3 giants permanently in the area of search engine and took over the business.

Google too met another innovative killer
Google was riding and bouncing like a giant. Lol. OMG! Ask Mr Osewa how google almost turned him to a pauper. Lol. Guys were always posting porn then which he has not resolved till date (this is to show you that there is no innovation here at all...an algorithm should have been developed to auto detect porn, deletes the posts, and spam bot do the justice as soon as such appear online instead of admins manually removing them). So what happened? Google took away NL's adsense. Hahaha. He suffered oooo. But how did he overcome it. Let me tell you the story.

Facebook came on board. And they took a huge percentage of paid advert from google. Ahahhaba. Google lost oooo. Facebook refused to compete via search engine, but came on board via social media. And they injured google seriously. This was how Mr. Osewa too thought of having his own ads too. And "small small" his prayers were answered again. Maybe this owner wouldn't have thought about doing his own. Or maybe hunger and desperation would have pushed him to start innovating. Who knows? But he is comfortable in the zone he is in today. Who can blame him? Lol.

Nairaland, a local non innovative giant
The state of our economy is why NL is still a giant here. But I tell you, it is a giant which is going down soon if the owner doesnt start innovating. If things continue like this, I give this forum 10 years max to be relevant again. And again, listen to me....the era of forum is almost wrapping off. Maybe someone will bring an innovative idea to make it better...maybe. Recently, I had a zoom meeting with some guys who wanted to do some stuff and after I discussed with them, they had to go again to the drawing board to look at the insights I gave them. What they have now cannot really catch up. What they need is an overtaking strategy, not a catching up one.

Well, perhaps something new entirely will remove NL permanently. Maybe its gonna be a bad ass mobile app instead of web based forum. Just think. You dont have to copy NL to compete with it. The focus is to have exchange of info through continuous flow of discussions. But I pray innovation occur here too. But it seems it will never happen.

I do not see using forum software or packages compete with this giant. You are wasting your time. You need something smarter and better. Think deep! What can it be?

4 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 20, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:
Innovation is David
Did you read what I have just written? Innovation's second name is David. And who is David? The killer of the giant Goliath. Hahahaha! David had to invent a small weapon to kill the giant. Same way, you cannot compete with business giants. You must kill the giant to prosper. And how do kill the giant? Do you expect to kill the giant with the same skills, tools, and methods used by the giant? The giant is an expert in the game already using those features excellently. David wore the kind of armor Goliath had worn all his life, but was too heavy. David had to dump it and picked up what he had mastered which was small but did the job perfectly by weakening the giant. And then finished the giant with the giant's weapon. You must bring new stuff on board to at least weaken the giant. Catch the giant unaware, and kill him/her/it permanently. Remove its/his/her roots. Take that market share from the giant and dont lose it again.

Kodak is the greatest mumu of all time in Photography. Why? This yeye coy started digital photography. Invested so much in it, but cos the tech was just beyond human at the time, kodak concentrated on using films. They were making massive money on photo films with those old styles. Making money on picture papers, inks, etc. So, they refused to bring on board digital. And they sold the tech they developed in order to recover money for the investment on the research. They felt they were a giant who could not be defeated. Today where is Kodak? They made the first websites like Instagram and refused to use it. Why? They want to keep selling more physical frames for photos albums. Today we have digital collections of photos and we share digitally. Where is Kodak? Lol.

Read this Harvard Review on Kodak: https://hbr.org/2016/07/kodaks-downfall-wasnt-about-technology

Nairaland, a case study
I researched deeply Nairaland. Let's be frank about it. What innovative actions or upgrades do we get here? Who knows? Imagine google or FB is like this, what do you think would have happened? This is to show you that we are not innovative enough in Nigeria. The innovative ones are checking out. Who blames them? Why would anyone who is innovative want to overtake NL? When there are better things to do outside Nigeria. When there is cooler cash out there. Why should any sane person want to do it?

Well, the love of Nigeria can. And if it is done well, there may be fruits here. Let us face reality, this is a redundant giant. I mean it without any apology. I am very frank and straight forward. Now listen, guys in diaspora who are reading me. This post may be for someone or a group of people, there is money in Naija. Trust me. You know what it takes to give Nigerians something great. You can do it. Please, do something. It is only innovation which can do it.

Yeah! I have seen many people doing exact same thing as NL. Lol. How can you beat a giant with the same approach the giant has mastered? How?

Three giants were killed
In the 90s, three giants were so strong I couldn't even imagine they can be defeated. They are: Yahoo, MSN and AOL. Your email had to be: @yahoo, @hotmail, @aol or their siblings at that time. You wanted to search, it was either yahoo or MSN's bing, or aol search. Front Page news was about these 3 giants too. Wow! I could not even imagine a time would come these giants will be defeated. But what happened? Google came on board.

Google focused at that time in just on one business area of these 3 giants - search engine. And we can see the continous innovation google is doing till date using AI algorithms now. Amazing stuff. It's easy to Google even programming codes now. Lol. Google killed these 3 giants permanently in the area of search engine and took over the business.

Google was riding and bouncing like a giant. Lol. OMG! Ask Mr Osewa how google almost turned him to a pauper. Lol. Guys were always posting porn then which he has not resolved till date (this is to show you that there is no innovation here at all...an algorithm should have been developed to auto detect porn, deletes the posts, and spam bot do the justice as soon as such appear online instead of admins manually removing them). So what happened? Google took away NL's adsense. Hahaha. He suffered oooo. But how did he overcome it. Let me tell you the story.

Facebook came on board. And they took a huge percentage of paid advert from google. Ahahhaba. Google lost oooo. Facebook refused to compete via search engine, but came on board via social media. And they injured google seriously. This was how Mr. Osewa too thought of having his own ads too. And "small small" his prayers were answered again. Maybe this owner wouldn't have thought about doing his own. Or maybe hunger and desperation would have pushed him to start innovating. Who knows? But he is comfortable in the zone he is in today. Who can blame him? Lol.

The state of our economy is why NL is still a giant here. But I tell you, it is a giant which is going down soon if the owner doesnt start innovating. If things continue like this, I give this forum 10 years max to be relevant again. And again, listen to me....the era of forum is almost wrapping off. Maybe someone will bring an innovative idea to make it better...maybe. Recently, I had a zoom meeting with some guys who wanted to do some stuff and after I discussed with them, they had to go again to the drawing board to look at the insights I gave them. What they have now cannot really catch up. What they need is an overtaking strategy, not a catching up one.

Well, perhaps something new entirely will remove NL permanently. Maybe its gonna be a bad ass mobile app instead of web based forum. Just think. You dont have to copy NL to compete with it. The focus is to have exchange of info through continuous flow of discussions. But I pray innovation occur here too. But it seems it will never happen.

I do not see using forum software or packages compete with this giant. You are wasting your time. You need something smarter and better. Think deep! What can it be?
Though your statement about Nairaland is true but Nairaland is using AdSense now.
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 20, 2021
ClixMaster:
Though your statement about Nairaland is true but Nairaland is using AdSense now.
Thanks for this. I set my mobile to desktop and I saw it display adsense. Almighty google has readmitted Nairaland. grin Mehn! Will facebook do it? To get back to Facebook, mehn...posisble but hard. Google has relaxed oooo. grin grin grin Almighty google!!!

1 Like

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by fascia(m): 1:34pm On Jul 23, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:
Innovation is David

Nairaland, a case study

Three giants were killed

lol i can see you are still your arrogant self .no can be perfect sha grin.
well i agree with some of your recent posts ,they made a lot of sense .

innovation is good and all but marketing is harder ,convincing people to use your product is hard even if your product is amazing.

yes nairaland deserves all the bashing but you have to ĝive kudos to them ,managing a website with millions of users and millions of visitors per day is not moi moi..even growing a website to this size is amazing.i assurre it not by luck but hardwork ..

my advice to nairaland is that they should start refactoriñg their code base little by little.the potential for this website enormous. they already havthe userbase .they should expand their functionalities and look for more ways of adding value.

presently no indiginous website comes close to nairaland .they are till the undisputed king
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 23, 2021
fascia:

lol i can see you are still your arrogant self .no can be perfect sha grin.
well i agree with some of your recent posts ,they made a lot of sense .

innovation is good and all but marketing is harder ,convincing people to use your product is hard even if your product is amazing.

yes nairaland deserves all the bashing but you have to ĝive kudos to them ,managing a website with millions of users and millions of visitors per day is not moi moi..even growing a website to this size is amazing.i assurre it not by luck but hardwork ..

my advice to nairaland is that they should start refactoriñg their code base little by little.the potential for this website enormous. they already havthe userbase .they should expand their functionalities and look for more ways of adding value.

presently no indiginous website comes close to nairaland .they are till the undisputed king

Funny brother. I refuse the spirit of arrogance. I am just saying the truth the way it is. wink

Yes, you are right. And it is what I have been saying all along that the business guy is the "father" of the programming boy. It is exactly what you have just repeated here. To sell is harder. And this is where the business guy comes in to make sure programmers build what people will buy. This is the reason many versions must be made before the idea is perfected.

In this my head, I have areas and ideas which will bring huge profit for sure. I released one in this thread. Programmers do not usually know, but people with insights who have had long and wide experience see these things. But when one tells these boys what to do, they dont listen. Most are running into Web designing. How the crap will that give a significant breakthrough? I know web designing can quickly address hunger, but why are they staying too long in it after they have won the battle of zero naira in their wallets?

As regards Nairaland, which kudos are you talking about? Cos I dont see any here. Which exactly? To control millions of user excellently is easy. All the man needs to do is to use exactly what we have been discussing here. But it seems its still a forum chat app he is using. Even recently the site went down and the owner apologized that the company who he leased server from or so blocked them (or maybe i didn't understand his grammar the day I read it) and they had to resolve it or something like that. See eh! I can never put vital info on Nairaland cos I know he doesnt have it's own dedicated server. Our info is seen by some other parties. So, what are we talking about here? To do many of these things, it seems new codes must be used. And then, AI must be used with it. It may be possible that new algorithms may not work with this present "dead man walking" we have now. Lol. In fact, if there is a company which should employ Nigerians who are into AI, it should be Nairaland. And see this man is reading comments ooo. I dont know why he doesnt pick brains here to see how they can give him better stuff. There is no way humans can manage these challenges well. We are talking about writing algorithms to detect spams, frauds, porns, etc. Even algorithms to pick worthy news to the front page instead of depending on the so called super mods. I see people mentioning lala mynd...domi...etc. Rubbish. It means mentioning them still works. Rubbish!!! An algorithm can make suggestions on what to move to the front page, and the super mods picks from it. Also, the algorithm can move news tonfront page. This will address people lobbying with supermods. Let the users know the criteria which the algorithm accepts. Guy, I am telling you...that the standard of writing on Nairaland will be high exponentially. Write algorithms to restrict operational functions of "mumu" comments on the front page and punish them. Reward good comments. This will make users to start writing sensibly. I mean, there are so much to be done to make this forum attract brains. Virtually kids are rogues on the front page. I mean, how can the owner be careless to this extent? Well, why should he be bothered when no one can innovate here? No competition. A beg, na dash a dey dash am these ideas to help him. If anyone loves him, show him this post.

Seriously guys, these are opportunities for you. I am not just interested in the area cos I have my eyes set on other things which are more interesting to me. If this area is interesting, I swear, I will crack it. I wanted to some time ago, but I left the idea cos it doesnt make sense after I looked at the financial reward in it. Of course, there is money there, but some things are fatter "Ezeogu" and one remains anonymous (behind the scene). This forum thing will propel one into the lime light and I am not that kind of person. I love my private life to remain private.

I have bolded your advice for the "almighty local champ" to read. I do not need to add more. If in 2021, the number 1 Nigerian forum doesnt have a good algorithm to auto detect and remove porn posts from its home page, then, there is something wrong with the Nigerian system. We aren't growing. I mean, in 2021, users are still mentioning lala, mynd, domi... and the rest of the super mods to move materials to front page Excuse me!!! Femi Kuti don sing am....A sorri sorri o.....sorri for Nigeria....sorri sorri ooo........sorri for Africa...sorri ...sorri ooo .....

7 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03am On Jul 27, 2021
What you shouldn't do
1. Do not expect to land a big job in Nigeria with Artificial Intelligence. You are wasting your time. If you are learning to get job, be ready to struggle. In fact, you need some few years of experience to land a job outside Nigeria also. Also, from my experience, it is better you leave Nigeria. Having said this, there are hidden things which can land you money in Nigeria with artificial intelligence.

2. If you love is to create, dont listen to most non innovative people discouraging you. I have read some thread filled with bad scents discouraging you. If the person is satisfied with the peanuts he or she is making from hustling on Fiverr, to God be the glory. Some of them are preparing to leave Nigeria, and they will realise the truth later. When they land where their heart desire, that $500 they receive monthly now will be nothing. It is nothing to the hosts, then, they will know why an immigrant needs 5 times of what the hosts spend monthly. Dem no dey tell person. And those experiencing it presently will not talk too.

2. Most AI projects promoted are all projects needed in the western world. Tell me, who will pay you in Nigeria for using AI to help its HR department? In Nigeria? Who will give you reward for content writing algorithm when people in this industry can get $0.01 per article? Start thinking deep. Who will commission you to build a robot for him in Nigeria when there are humans ready to work for peanuts? Start thinking. This is when you should sit down and think deeply. What exactly am I doing with this?

It is unfortunate many who rush in to coding end up frustrated. Even many are there cos they want to escape poverty thinking they will just start earning big. Of course, you can do web related stuff immediately and kill hunger if you are smart. But I had known before starting this thread that NL is not the right place to source for talents.

An Innovative mind makes learning programming worth the effort,
If you dont have a project of yours, you have no business learning AI. And if you go DS route, you will be frustrated before you land yourself a good job.

I can only tell you that there are areas you can go into if you can think deep. And it is clear that programmers here on Nairaland cannot think from the feedbacks in this section; however, I am going to tell you.that there are silent readers who contacted me with innovative ideas. Mehn! I am so flabbergasted with some ideas I gave more insights to recently. I have written about Agric and another guy has talked about diet in this thread. Also, health is another area you can make it big in Nigeria.

Generally speaking, you should start getting close to boys in Yaba Hub. These boys are the future. The way they think is different from what I have read here. And I have come to conclusion that the programmers here are not exposed enough. They really dont know what is happening in the industry. They arent experienced enough here. Na local champs dey here.

Oh! I forgot to say this: Don't build anything for the government. It is not worth the effort. Do not go and start sitting in the governor's office hoping he will approve your app and deploy it. You are wasting your time. Your customers are common men in the society. What are the businesses still moving in Nigeria despite the challenges? Which industries pay well? What are the challenges there? How can I solve these challenges? These are questions which will lead you to your joker.

And finally, you may partner with foreign apps owners by building something which will make them penetrate the Nigerian market. This is risky, but may just worth it. I wouldn't go for this as my first project, but maybe as one after I have made some cash...maybe.

So, you can see...you need an innovative mind before you move into programming. If not, you are building yourself to be a spectator in the industry. God forbids I should be one, I am a creator. Who are you?

5 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:09am On Jul 28, 2021
RoadMap From Zero to An Innotive Expert

To become an innovative expert, you need time. And you must be easy with yourself. My focus is AI which involves DS; however, you may find yourself in web development like many hustlers too. Nothing bad in it. Even many are getting jobs abroad as long as they can innovate and not just be static. If anyone tells you that web development is saturated the person may be telling you lies because it is deep itself. Even you are into AI, you need to be on the web to operate. How will you connect remotely if you do not know about web application packages or routines?

Also, we can go on and go, and I see no one discussing cyber security which is another area making loads of cash.

Step 1
Whatever you do, learn about web related areas, but move deeper into a core specialized area to be really good and valuable. Recently, I am moving very deep too as I have realised that there is nothing like "Senior Developers" in Nigeria. They just give themselves useless names. And after talking to some who think are "Juniors", I saw potentials the so called noise makers calling themselves seniors doesnt have. If you are an employer, you will understand my point.

Alright, to really set yourself in place, learn a language. No matter the language you pick, you may need to learn another one. I have written about this before, and really, at the beginning, it is hard to choose. Just pick any language you have a good teacher to guide you, or you have good materials on. The most important result you want is training yourself to be a programmer. You need to learn the following concepts:

These are common to all modern languages:
1. Variables
2. Functions
3. Operations - Comparison, Logical and Arithmetic
4. Data types your language supports - Integers, float numbers, strings, Lists, Sets, Tuples, etc. (know the ones your language supports)
5. Conditionals - If, If Else, Elif efc statements
6. Loops - For and While Loop statements

Do not get bugged with your specific language in this area, but make sure you understand the concepts. Make sure you are grounded in this area. Practise! Practise!! Practise! Go online and find questions to solve. Load yourself with many questions and solve. Solve....solve solve. Push your brain beyond its limits.

Solve question like writing first 50 Fibonacci sequence, prime numbers, odd and even, and many more. There are tons of questions online. Solving these questions will program your mind to start thinking like a programmer.

Note that if you are a real beginner, it may take you a day to a week to glance through these listed concepts, but if you want to be a master in them, it can take you 3 to 6 months to put your head into tons of questions and solve. Solve! Solve!! Solve!!!

My brain functions well very early in the morning. While I was just getting started, I found myself thinking all day in my abstract mind and picturing likely solutions to programming problems, and I always have my mobile notepad to make notes of new ideas and concepts. But when I am on my computer every morning, I start putting these ideas down in my computer.

Please, learn how to debug. This will save you from asking "yeye" seniors questions they dont know themselves. This is a concept I mastered. Even as a teacher, this is a tool I mastered to know what is wrong. Learn it very well. When you can debug, you follow your codes. You see what is going on, you know how you are jumping in and out of loops. You see it clearly. This simple area is where people dont get. They rarely focus on it. They just keep cramming. No need of cramming. You must understand what you are doing. I may not know your program, but trust me, with the way I trained myself, if I need your language, or I employ you and you arent delivering, I may end up learning your language to really know you. Why? Cos there arent even good seniors I can trust anyone with. But if I take that pain to learn it, and I start correcting you, trust me....I am going to fire you without hesitation. That's it. This is why I go for Indians who are grounded. But this thread is for you guys cos I want you to develop yourselves.

I am seriously busy now, as it may take me time to complete this roadmap. I deliberately started this roadmap so I can complete it. It may take time. I know that if I dont start, I may not do it again, but it's my wish to drop HINTS here for many.

3 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by cassbeat(m): 10:01am On Jul 28, 2021
God bless you sir for this... I want to start learning programming and I've gotten a lot of hints here.
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 01, 2021
Step 2

Object Oriented Programming
It is a programming paradigm. It is a model. It is a way of thinking. You look at a problem and structure it using objects, so you come up with a solution systematically and constructively. The first step in my post above is a procedure you use functions to solve problems. But here in step 2, you use objects.

So, you give attributes to your objects.

Give attention to the following:

1. Inheritance
2. Polymorphism
3. Encapsulation
4. Composition

These concepts above are supported by all object oriented programming languages. Never cram. No need. Try to understand the concepts in it.

All about me is concepts. I always bring out concepts. When you know these concepts, you will learn any language easily. The challenge is that people just jump into programing without knowing how to structure their learning process. Learning itself is solving problems....lol. this is the truth.

You must program your brain the way computer languages work. They are mostly same. I mean, the same concept. When you understand this concept you know that it doesnt matter which language you pick first if you understand the basic concepts.

If people say python is easy, it is cos there are many functions and libraries, and attributes other languages dont have. You need to write all these with other languages. See, if you approach python with the mind set it is easy And you want to go into just using these functions (short cuts), you will not be good.

For example: there is the function

ABC.reverse( ) for reversing list, arrays, etc.
Should you use this when you are learning? Nope. Go the Java, C, C++ route, access the items in the array, and reverse them a reverse. This is how to learn well.

First get the deep concept of object oriented programming. Then after, you start asking yourself:

How can I create a class in my chosen language?
How can I create an object in my chosen language ?
How can I inherit from another object in my chosen language?
How can I override in my chosen language?
And so on

Solve problem
Return to all the problems you solve in level 1 and then use object oriented style to solve the same problems again. This is how you learn.

By the time you pass through this process, your brain will start working like a programmer.

3 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by wetdspace(m): 7:14pm On Aug 06, 2021
Hello Gurus
Please I need a guide.
I just made decisions to go for programming and probably full stack that would enable me get a remote job.
I’m an idealistic person so I would love something that would be able to make me develop my ideas.
Especially in fintech industry.

I need help cos I want to focus on this.

Please help me out, advice, links, leads, critics is needed.

I just want to start something very meaningful with myself.

Thank you.

PS. If you see this on another topic, it’s me I’m just looking for where to get genuine answers. Thanks.

PeaceJoyLove:
I am always flabbergasted when I see the "Every man for himself" syndrome in every business area in Nigeria. But guess what? It is not the way forward in tech start ups.

Programmers are trying to position themselves into getting huge pay for developing apps for startups (nothing bad in it, but does our economy allow it?). Lol. Most programmers don't have the business developing instinct, but they want to get huge pay. How can you get huge pay in this Nigerian economy at this time? There are only few "money bags" who will spend money on developing apps for a business the future is unpredictable. It is not like a manufacturing company where you know sales is sure since there are potential customers on ground.

There are many reasons "money bags" will not take the risk of paying you that huge amount to develop app. One is that the future of the startup is not guaranteed. And you know that Nigeria is an emerging market. Industrialization is just beginning to pick up. We are just getting to fix our roads, railways, boats, etc after we abandoned fixing these basic amenities for long. We are in a stage the US is in around early 1900 to 1940s. Oh! Having 24/7 electricity is still a rocket science here, so, we haven't started production which is another area "money bags" will rather invest in for any emerging market. So, there are many areas the "money bags" can put money into instead of paying you that huge money for the app you want to develop. And even after developing it, it is the "beta" version. Oh! You want him to even pay you more and more for every correction made..lol. Be real and get a life. It is not that possible.

Oh! No wonder many programmers are unfulfilled in Nigeria. Eeeeh....Yaaa. Poor you. Keep hoping someone will employ you to develop a app you can hit it big. Eeeehhh.....Yaaa! cry cry cry

I will take you on the journey
Here, I will write insights and we will look at the real situation of tech startups in Nigeria. I will xray it out for you so you can see the real situation, and then decide how you can tap into it. My approach is from the business view of the business.

I'll try to update this thread daily.

3 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 06, 2021
wetdspace:
Hello Gurus
Please I need a guide.
I just made decisions to go for programming and probably full stack that would enable me get a remote job.
I’m an idealistic person so I would love something that would be able to make me develop my ideas. E.g in 2014, I wrote down in my jotter the need to create a digital money saving app. I told a friend in 2015 but he’s afraid he didn’t wanna get involved with anything money. I think that same year, piggybank was created.
In 2016, I still shared this to a friend who went behind me and Partner with a tech bro to create their own company here in Lagos. I won’t disclose his name cos it’s a well known coy.

So please my bosses, I need help, I want to learn things that would make it easy to transfer money from a phone to another phone through our bank account of course, even though I might eventually end up partnering with another developer , I want to learn these things too at least be very good at something.

I need help cos I want to focus on this.

Please help me out, advice, links, leads, critics is needed.

I just want to start something very meaningful with myself.

Thank you.

PS. If you see this on another topic, it’s me I’m just looking for where to get genuine answers. Thanks.

You simple want to do money transfer. The most important is security first, then you can tweak it around your business. Piggyvest (formerly piggybank) you mentioned is all about money transfer too via Mastercard and Visacard linked to their clients accounts. Also, there is POS, USSD (via phone) and other various kinds of money transfer linked to customers' account. You sound like you will use more of USSD. The most important is to use a secured means. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) which is an information security standard for organizations that handle branded credit cards from the major card schemes. The PCI Standard is mandated by the card brands but administered by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. The standard was created to increase controls around cardholder data to reduce credit card fraud. Not sure if this is what you really need, but there are other kinds also. Two companies you can approach in Nigeria which come to my mind are - Flutterwave and Paystack. PiggyVest uses Paystack. You may want to consult these two companies. You may discuss with them more and they will give you more ideas on how you should go about your business. But first, consult a cyber security specialist very well. This is what you need to get around first cos it has to do with money. Your friend probably didnt go with you cos you do not know about the basis of security, and you could not explain well. Another person came on board and was able to convince him to do the project you talked about (not sure if it's still security). Or he hijacked it because he was not gifted in the area...meaning that he wasn't the one you supposed to talk to in the first place. You just gave him an idea he couldn't solve. So, he had to get out to look for solution. Too bad of him, but really, you were a liability. You opened too early without first making research. And the way you are going about dropping messages in many threads, you will fall into the trap again and again sir. Anyway, get around securities applied to your business first. When you know it and the protocols to use you then look for a co-founder well grounded in the area. You must not sound like an illiterate when discussing with the person. You must know what you want, and you pick who is the best in the area. Not like just asking every jack and jerry who can code to be your partner or to start explaining to you...by the time you starting talking, you would have dropped all your ideas and the person or people will hijack them again.

Goodluck sir!

3 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by wetdspace(m): 11:18pm On Aug 06, 2021
Wow!

I’ll say you read part of my mind.

I want to learn something that’ll relate to something you’ve discussed here...
I just want to learn
To have a skill I’m proud of before the biz launch.

What wot you advice?

God bless you for this response.

Thanks!

Please give a platform where I can directly contact you . Thanks

PeaceJoyLove:

You simple want to do money transfer. The most important is security first, then you can tweak it around your business. Piggyvest (formerly piggybank) you mentioned is all about money transfer too via Mastercard and Visacard linked to their clients accounts. Also, there is POS, USSD (via phone) and other various kinds of money transfer linked to customers' account. You sound like you will use more of USSD. The most important is to use a secured means. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) which is an information security standard for organizations that handle branded credit cards from the major card schemes. The PCI Standard is mandated by the card brands but administered by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. The standard was created to increase controls around cardholder data to reduce credit card fraud. Not sure if this is what you really need, but there are other kinds also. Two companies you can approach in Nigeria which come to my mind are - Flutterwave and Paystack. PiggyVest uses Paystack. You may want to consult these two companies. You may discuss with them more and they will give you more ideas on how you should go about your business. But first, consult a cyber security specialist very well. This is what you need to get around first cos it has to do with money. Your friend probably didnt go with you cos you do not know about the basis of security, and you could not explain well. Another person came on board and was able to convince him to do the project you talked about (not sure if it's still security). Or he hijacked it because he was not gifted in the area...meaning that he wasn't the one you supposed to talk to in the first place. You just gave him an idea he couldn't solve. So, he had to get out to look for solution. Too bad of him, but really, you were a liability. You opened too early without first making research. And the way you are going about dropping messages in many threads, you will fall into the trap again and again sir. Anyway, get around securities applied to your business first. When you know it and the protocols to use you then look for a co-founder well grounded in the area. You must not sound like an illiterate when discussing with the person. You must know what you want, and you pick who is the best in the area. Not like just asking every jack and jerry who can code to be your partner or to start explaining to you...by the time you starting talking, you would have dropped all your ideas and the person or people will hijack them again.

Goodluck sir!
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 06, 2021
wetdspace:
Wow!

I’ll say you read part of my mind.

I want to learn something that’ll relate to something you’ve discussed here...
I just want to learn
To have a skill I’m proud of before the biz launch.

What wot you advice?

God bless you for this response.

Thanks!

Really, I do not know what you are up to, but here is what I am going to say generally based on my experience.

1. You want to be a founder. You want to create a business so you must learn how to be a CEO. Marketing (this is the sole of your business and why all these programmers cannot stand on their own, otherwise they wont even listen to anyone), and be tough. This characteristics are necessary.

2. Learn how to research thoroughly. Like I gave you HINTS , follow them up. A programmer will quickly tell you to go and learn coding bla bla bla to do your thing...or learn software bla bla bla. But no. Research the securities needed. When you know that, you know the right people to pick and the right language for your platform amd what the person must write. So, this is a must too.

3a. If you want to really go deep and build the stuff yourself, learn programming and dive into software engineering. As in learn codes, networking, internet protocols, etc. But I think going through that may be a long way. Since you are talking about mobile to mobile , it means you should consider Java for androids and Swift for iOS. And employ someone who will do your desktop and web.

3b. You may just want to have an idea of what it is all about and be able to contribute as a CEO in a tough environment like Nigeria. Then, you may need all-in-one language. Java or Python. I would say pick Python cos it is very easy. You will just grab the basis of the coding world and be able to discuss with anyone. Python looks good for you. You may need to dedicate 5 good months to learn it. And you will see the various things Python can do for you. Python can go round desktop and mobiles. However, pick cyber security basis first and make a decision what you really need.

I think 3b suits you more imo. Learning a programming language is what will set you in the right direction. It will force you to start digging deep.

1 Like

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 07, 2021
wetdspace:
Hello Gurus
Please I need a guide.
I’m an idealistic person so I would love something that would be able to make me develop my ideas.
Especially in fintech industry.

I missed the first comment which is to get remote job. So, I want to ask you, what exactly do you want to do? It seems you are confused. Are you learning programming to develop your ideas which you mentioned? Or are learning to get a remote job? Your answer will give the direction to go. If your intention and main reason is to build your ideas, then the recommendation above comes in. But if you want to go into hustling, it is a different approach. Actually, you sounded like one who wants to go into innovating and developing your own stuff, at the same time, I think you are confused and you are still not financially stable. Think well. If you want to go for hustling.....then, go he route many go which is either front end, or back end, or combine both. But you are likely trapped in working out the ideas and dreams of others just like what majority are doing. I still know people who get jobs even with python cos its versatile. But I think your best bet and the jobs most Nigerians(there are many average programmers...not specular) get are related to web development.

Go and do soul searching and get yourself together what exactly you want before asking people how to do it. Most of those who end up hating programming are those who dont understand it before jumping into it. They jumped in cos they heard or read it's a savior for brains in developing nations. It's why you are asking here and there. Learn researching. You know what you really want. Check well. Google is your friend.

2 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 08, 2021
How I hacked online dating - Amy Webb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wG_sAdP0U
Amy Webb was having no luck with online dating. The dates she liked didn't write her back, and her own profile attracted crickets (and worse). So, as any fan of data would do: she started making a spreadsheet. Hear the story of how she went on to hack her online dating life -- with frustrating, funny and life-changing results.

Watch this TED TALKs video. This will give you an idea of what data can do. We all think we must find a job there and earn high. But here is Amy who used data to find her spouse. She realised that the algorithms of all the dating sites she had used weren't ok for her, so, she invented her method and hacked her way through. By the way, "hacked" in a positive way without breaking any law. Cos I know NL boys will want to do nasty stuff. Lol.

After watching this, I am sure you will start thinking how you also can use data in some areas of your life.

I am going to share two more Ted Talks videos later. Just watch out.

5 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:22am On Aug 09, 2021
Data Visualization
I want to show you something. I want to tweak a part of your brain. Let us watch this brilliant professor.

The best stats you've ever seen - Hans Rosling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdJgEwMinM
When Rosling talks about his students’ understanding of child mortality and the developing world, he says that the problem “was not ignorance; it was preconceived ideas.” How do the results of the test he gave his students support this? When you think about how students in your school or community understand other countries, do you see evidence of ignorance, preconceived ideas, both, or neither—and why is that?

Notes
Western World - Long life and small family

Third Nation - Short life and extended family

Bubble population - 2.40
Watch his dramatic explanation of his findings and take note of China....how they combat problems of large family. And just imagine how reluctant Africans change. Too bad. And how HIV bombarded Africa to further reduce life expectancy. Just imagine how China moved from the pit of rubbish to something to be proud of.

5.06 - comparison of the US and Vietnam. Vietnam also from large family to small family.
6.09 World distribution of Income.
7.21 - take a look at where Africa lies. Poor...poor...poor..
7.25 - OECD
Etc. ..

Take note how Asia used to be poor.

Child Survival

17.30 China Vs US (Income distribution) Take a look at how China income distribution changed.

18.15 Internet users per 1,000

Lessons to learn
1. Average family in Nigeria is still 5 to 7 children. And like up to 15 in the north. Imagine. Lagos is over 200 million if they count it now. Yet, some German experts reported in CNN that Lagos might submerge in water by 2050. It beats my imagination how people can continue giving birth even with the hard situation of the economy.

2. Do you remember that China gave permission to just one child per family some years back? And if you have more than one, the first child is only awarded the nationality of China. I know many Chinese who flew out to other nations to give birth to their second and third children so they dont be without nationality. Lol. They have just increased it recently.

3. To know how poor a nation is, look at these two factors:
a. Child Survival Rate
b. Life expectancy

What can we do?
With data visualization, we can compel govt to do the right thing. We can change how we vote and who we vote for. We can report the performance of politicans in comparison with others on a fair play platform. Then, masses can know who they should chase away when they come for our votes. These politicians know that tech and data will expose them, and they will fight it. But we can do it. That APC refused reporting elections digitally means a lot. We must flush out these people.

Listen, they aren't going to change, but we must continue working. Let us start projects here and keep moving forward. Soon, boys will be separated from men. Men dont need to struggle with boys. We just need to lure them with things they like so they accept more tech and we can gather more data. And then, we use that tactic to erase them all.

We must fight this outrageous population growth rate. And people are still going to mountains to give birth to more children. Imagine what people do to have a male child. Foo.lish people.

My head is filled with projects to get Nigeria working again. May God help me accomplish my goals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 11, 2021
Someone asked me again why I am talking about Artificial Intelligence when people need to eat. Hmm! I am not saying you should not hustle. You should, but do not get so much trapped in it.

I took the person on an extensive lecture, and let me quickly summarize how I am able to convince this person to tap into it also.

The Arctic Sea Ice
According to wikipedia, the Arctic Ocean is the smallest and shallowest of the world's five major oceans. It spans an area of approximately 14,060,000 km2 (5,430,000 sq mi) and is also known as the coldest of all the oceans. The International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) recognizes it as an ocean, although some oceanographers call it the Arctic Mediterranean Sea. It has been described approximately as an estuary of the Atlantic Ocean. It is also seen as the northernmost part of the all-encompassing World.

Our climate is changing due to human activities. And let us look at the attached pictures. The ice is disappearing. Hmmm! Dangers awaits.

1. Heat wave is getting more intensed, and that's why the world is getting warmer.

2. Also, the land roads are collapsing. The roads are actually ice. And travellers keep using delicate routes and destroying the roads more and breaking more ice. Enough death records.

3. Again, new sea routes are created. And travellers are tempted to take these new shorter opened routes, and they get trapped and perished. Even damaging the sea more.

4. I will give you a link where you can read more, and check the presentation of the project directors.

The US and Russian govt arent doing much about it as there are more to do. But guess what? Two private companies came together to get it done. One is specialized in drone technology while the other is into data and Artificial Intelligence. They have managed to cut down 93.7% of the cost of the project if done some years back. Wow!!!! This is the power of technology.

Do you remember the silly Nigerian minister who flew a plane over a renovated dam when she could have flown a drone? And she felt she was doing a good job, but the twitter community blasted her? Do you remember the story? Lol.

Do you know the reward these two companies will make soon? This is huge money. Forget it. These are forward looking people.

Now, think of what government will do with their data. Think how it will save the sea. Think about the amount they are generating in the future from this project. Wow! And its cheap.

And the goal of this project is to create map of safe roads on the ice. Wow!

We can do same
We can scan the whole of Sambisa Forest and we get terrorists hidden places. We then move in Agriculture there to open it up. Plan it well to preserve the forest.

Trust the government if they do it. They will put in $50 billion as the budget, when only $10,000 to $50,000 can do the job. Do you think such will be approved by these useless politicians? Nope. They will put in billions so they can embezzle it. This is why private citizens like us should step up and get this job done.

I have so many ideas which I am not going to release here. But my point is that we should start collecting data. There are so much to do. If I start talking about wild life data which can generate millions of dollars soon, hmm. But where are the forward looking Nigerians? They are all travelling out to develop more the developed nations. sad

Data collection is profitable
When we have data, we can build a business around it. Trust me, this is what wise people are doing presently.

Check out the slides presentation of this provide:
http://iceroadmaps.com/

What do you think?

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:43am On Aug 11, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:
Someone asked me again why I am talking about Artificial Intelligence when people need to eat. Hmm! I am not saying you should not hustle. You should, but do not get so much trapped in it.

I took the person on an extensive lecture, and let me quickly summarize how I am able to convince this person to tap into it also.

The Arctic Sea Ice
According to wikipedia, the Arctic Ocean is the smallest and shallowest of the world's five major oceans. It spans an area of approximately 14,060,000 km2 (5,430,000 sq mi) and is also known as the coldest of all the oceans. The International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) recognizes it as an ocean, although some oceanographers call it the Arctic Mediterranean Sea. It has been described approximately as an estuary of the Atlantic Ocean. It is also seen as the northernmost part of the all-encompassing World.

Our climate is changing due to human activities. And let us look at the attached pictures. The ice is disappearing. Hmmm! Dangers awaits.

1. Heat wave is getting more intensed, and that's why the world is getting warmer.

2. Also, the land roads are collapsing. The roads are actually ice. And travellers keep using delicate routes and destroying the roads more and breaking more ice. Enough death records.

3. Again, new sea routes are created. And travellers are tempted to take these new shorter opened routes, and they get trapped and perished. Even damaging the sea more.

4. I will give you a link where you can read more, and check the presentation of the project directors.

The US and Russian govt arent doing much about it as there are more to do. But guess what? Two private companies came together to get it done. One is specialized in drone technology while the other is into data and Artificial Intelligence. They have managed to cut down 93.7% of the cost of the project if done some years back. Wow!!!! This is the power of technology.

Do you remember the silly Nigerian minister who flew a plane over a renovated dam when she could have flown a drone? And she felt she was doing a good job, but the twitter community blasted her? Do you remember the story? Lol.

Do you know the reward these two companies will make soon? This is huge money. Forget it. These are forward looking people.

Now, think of what government will do with their data. Think how it will save the sea. Think about the amount they are generating in the future from this project. Wow! And its cheap.

And the goal of this project is to create map of safe roads on the ice. Wow!

We can do same
We can scan the whole of Sambisa Forest and we get terrorists hidden places. We then move in Agriculture there to open it up. Plan it well to preserve the forest.

Trust the government if they do it. They will put in $50 billion as the budget, when only $10,000 to $50,000 can do the job. Do you think such will be approved by these useless politicians? Nope. They will put in billions so they can embezzle it. This is why private citizens like us should step up and get this job done.

I have so many ideas which I am not going to release here. But my point is that we should start collecting data. There are so much to do. If I start talking about wild life data which can generate millions of dollars soon, hmm. But where are the forward looking Nigerians? They are all travelling out to develop more the developed nations. sad

Data collection is profitable
When we have data, we can build a business around it. Trust me, this is what wise people are doing presently.

Check out the slides presentation of this provide:
http://iceroadmaps.com/

What do you think?

I dont know how Artificial Intelligence will solve terrorism in Nigeria. The US with all its power and drone technology still lost the war in afghanistan. The Nigerian government knows where the terrorist are hiding, afterall they got them and gave them food and told Nigerians to forgive them. Where boko haram is hiding isnt hidden, their sponsors are also well known so building a solution to look for them is a waste of time.
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 11, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I dont know how Artificial Intelligence will solve terrorism in Nigeria. The US with all its power and drone technology still lost the war in afghanistan. The Nigerian government knows where the terrorist are hiding, afterall they got them and gave them food and told Nigerians to forgive them. Where boko haram is hiding isnt hidden, their sponsors are also well known so building a solution to look for them is a waste of time.
Be careful of what you say or write. Look beyond war. The US did not lose the war in Afghanistan. They achieved exactly what they went there to do. Nothing more to do there. Do not let me go into the details cos there is no point. And they have found a better way to address issues like that instead of going inside the nations. Bro, their interests come first.

I can start counting the efficiency of the drone technology. And if you think the drone technology is not that able to win wars, try Russia or Isreal. Do you hear me? But I am not going into details of that.

Now, back to the issue. Scanning the whole of Sambisa itself is a huge profit for anyone who does it without even thinking of Boko Haram. I actually deliberately did not give so much into what drone can achieve cos I have so much to achieve, and I dont want any distraction. Did you read where I wrote what that can achieve in the forestry and wild life business? Do you know what that can achieve in Agriculture? Do you know how far it will help mining and nature? Think forward.

The point here is that you have refused to see deep into the usefulness of data. I am going to be frank with you, php is going down soon. Well, I think it is down for the western programmers and programmers from developing nations are used for the jobs with so much salary cut.

Data is what I am after.

Back to sambisa. When you scan the place, and you know where they are, you know how to tackle govt. You have just accused government of knowing where they are without any proof but just cos they asked us to pardon some of theirs. Naturally, it is ok to feel this because of Kanu and Igboho. It's normal. But can you prove it? If you really think government knows where Boko Haram is, and there is no way you can compel government to go after them, the best way is to use tech. Use drone to get them (since govt is not doing it), and then, compel government to go after them. When they know they are monitored, they will sit up. Thank you for bringing out this issue, and thanks again cos indeed it as an opportunity to buttress my point.

If you still say you dont see how AI can solve terrorism issues in Nigeria, it maybe that you dont understand data science and Artificial Intelligence well.

2 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by The5DME(m): 1:30pm On Aug 11, 2021
What's the agenda behind this thread if I may ask?
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:12pm On Aug 11, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Be careful of what you say or write. Look beyond war. The US did not lose the war in Afghanistan. They achieved exactly what they went there to do. Nothing more to do there. Do not let me go into the details cos there is no point. And they have found a better way to address issues like that instead of going inside the nations. Bro, their interests come first.

I can start counting the efficiency of the drone technology. And if you think the drone technology is not that able to win wars, try Russia or Isreal. Do you hear me? But I am not going into details of that.

Now, back to the issue. Scanning the whole of Sambisa itself is a huge profit for anyone who does it without even thinking of Boko Haram. I actually deliberately did not give so much into what drone can achieve cos I have so much to achieve, and I dont want any distraction. Did you read where I wrote what that can achieve in the forestry and wild life business? Do you know what that can achieve in Agriculture? Do you know how far it will help mining and nature? Think forward.

The point here is that you have refused to see deep into the usefulness of data. I am going to be frank with you, php is going down soon. Well, I think it is down for the western programmers and programmers from developing nations are used for the jobs with so much salary cut.

Data is what I am after.

Back to sambisa. When you scan the place, and you know where they are, you know how to tackle govt. You have just accused government of knowing where they are without any proof but just cos they asked us to pardon some of theirs. Naturally, it is ok to feel this because of Kanu and Igboho. It's normal. But can you prove it? If you really think government knows where Boko Haram is, and there is no way you can compel government to go after them, the best way is to use tech. Use drone to get them (since govt is not doing it), and then, compel government to go after them. When they know they are monitored, they will sit up. Thank you for bringing out this issue, and thanks again cos indeed it as an opportunity to buttress my point.

If you still say you dont see how AI can solve terrorism issues in Nigeria, it maybe that you dont understand data science and Artificial Intelligence well.
They know where they are. The other day the police escorted gumi to go meet bandits in the forest and they don't still know where they are. So a programmer in Nigeria will build AI and drone systems to find what isnt hidden.

3 Likes

Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 11, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

They know where they are. The other day the police escorted gumi to go meet bandits in the forest and they don't still know where they are. So a programmer in Nigeria will build AI and drone systems to find what isnt hidden.
Let us assume they know where they are, here is my point again. We know their hides out is in Sambisa. If we map out sambisa, we at least will clear out the place. They will be forced to relocate. Can you see my point? You force government to do it. With evidences, the military will move there.

OK, let us move to South west where there are thick forest bandits and herdsmen operate. Bro, there are many things in the forest. Damn too much. The security of any country is safer when you can scan wild life. Have you been to Oyo state down to the border side. Mehn! If you see the thick forest there... Even with this, we can compel government to be brutal with those exporting charcoal. They are destroying wild life there exporting charcoal to Europe. Europe has forest too, but they have stopped cutting down trees. But here we are still doing it. Let us map out the area and we will know what's up. Government will be forced to close down the charcoal exporting business permanently.

Even you are right that government knows where they are, let's scan Sambisa. If Buhari and his gangs refuse to do what is needed after we have scanned and gotten the data we need, another president will.

The reason I said you do not understand AI and data science is cos you really do not still understand what scanning does. I am talking about data. When the data and map is on the table, you will see ideas coming in. Even you that created the data and map will be shocked what people will come up with. Innovation here and there will come up. I am shocked you are still going against this just for the incompetence of Buhari. Bro, leave that man aside and let us talk. It is beyond terrorism.

Do you know foreign choppers that move in and out of our wild without us knowing? We need to install aerial scanners everywhere. This is data collection. Everything is data. If we know all the spots of rivers, canals, valleys, dams etc., we will perform better. If the Alaska guys I talked about earlier can know the thickness of ice there without drilling but just by scanning via flying a drone, we can know what is under the tree, and even underground. Instead of matching people there, clearing the land, destroying the trees, we are saying that just fly a drone over the place and take data. What is hard in this when we have the brain? It doesn't cost us moving heavy machine there. Innovation will come up after we do this.

Mapping Alaska sea ice is just 6.3% of the total amount it should cost. If we use this as a guess, it means that if government is saying it will take 30 billion naira to do it, just know that the real cost is like 30%, that is like 9 billion naira if government is sincere with old tech. Now we know it doesnt cost much, at most we will spend 200usd (assumption) cos this is Nigeria. 9 billion is 18 million dollars. Lol. And 200,000US is what? 1.1%. Meaning we are cutting off 98.9% grin And its $200,000 estimation when I know $50,000 can do it. Think about it. Maybe we will cut off 99.999% of the cost grin

Now think how this will re educate us about governance, budgeting, and spending. See bro, tech is what we can use to make Nigeria great again oooo. If not, these old politicians are ready to finish Nigeria.

Listen, you should think positive and forward. You dont see anything in it cos you are not ready to think forward. Data is profit. Guys like you will come up with ideas after we put the map online for everyone to be able to use.

Hey! Think deep. Think again. Think it through. Just leave out incompetent Buhari for now.

I will talk more about AI in fighting fraud. All we need to do is to keep pushing it till these politicians accept it. Yes, APC may get away now with not publishing election results electronically (I know they were alive and witnessed Biden Vs Trump), but they deliberately did not allow it. But it can still change. 2023 is still far. And if they dont, by 2027, it is very sure, they will. Can you see the progress?

Tech will change things. But when you guys keep promoting obsolete stuff and you dont want to think forward, then , we will allow these old men to destroy Nigeria. Tech is the only tool we have.

Buhari banning Twitter exposed him more that he doesnt know what he is doing.
Re: Steering The Wheel Of Tech Startups In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Let us assume they know where they are, here is my point again. We know their hides out is in Sambisa. If we map out sambisa, we at least will clear out the place. They will be forced to relocate. Can you see my point? You force government to do it. With evidences, the military will move there.

OK, let us move to South west where there are thick forest bandits and herdsmen operate. Bro, there are many things in the forest. Damn too much. The security of any country is safer when you can scan wild life. Have you been to Oyo state down to the border side. Mehn! If you see the thick forest there... Even with this, we can compel government to be brutal with those exporting charcoal. They are destroying wild life there exporting charcoal to Europe. Europe has forest too, but they have stopped cutting down trees. But here we are still doing it. Let us map out the area and we will know what's up. Government will be forced to close down the charcoal exporting business permanently.

Even you are right that government knows where they are, let's scan Sambisa. If Buhari and his gangs refuse to do what is needed after we have scanned and gotten the data we need, another president will.

The reason I said you do not understand AI and data science is cos you really do not still understand what scanning does. I am talking about data. When the data and map is on the table, you will see ideas coming in. Even you that created the data and map will be shocked what people will come up with. Innovation here and there will come up. I am shocked you are still going against this just for the incompetence of Buhari. Bro, leave that man aside and let us talk. It is beyond terrorism.

Do you know foreign choppers that move in and out of our wild without us knowing? We need to install aerial scanners everywhere. This is data collection. Everything is data. If we know all the spots of rivers, canals, valleys, dams etc., we will perform better. If the Alaska guys I talked about earlier can know the thickness of ice there without drilling but just by scanning via flying a drone, we can know what is under the tree, and even underground. Instead of matching people there, clearing the land, destroying the trees, we are saying that just fly a drone over the place and take data. What is hard in this when we have the brain? It doesn't cost us moving heavy machine there. Innovation will come up after we do this.

Mapping Alaska sea ice is just 6.3% of the total amount it should cost. If we use this as a guess, it means that if government is saying it will take 30 billion naira to do it, just know that the real cost is like 30%, that is like 9 billion naira if government is sincere with old tech. Now we know it doesnt cost much, at most we will spend 200usd (assumption) cos this is Nigeria. 9 billion is 18 million dollars. Lol. And 200,000US is what? 1.1%. Meaning we are cutting off 98.9% grin And its $200,000 estimation when I know $50,000 can do it. Think about it. Maybe we will cut off 99.999% of the cost grin

Now think how this will re educate us about governance, budgeting, and spending. See bro, tech is what we can use to make Nigeria great again oooo. If not, these old politicians are ready to finish Nigeria.

Listen, you should think positive and forward. You dont see anything in it cos you are not ready to think forward. Data is profit. Guys like you will come up with ideas after we put the map online for everyone to be able to use.

Hey! Think deep. Think again. Think it through. Just leave out incompetent Buhari for now.

I will talk more about AI in fighting fraud. All we need to do is to keep pushing it till these politicians accept it. Yes, APC may get away now with not publishing election results electronically (I know they were alive and witnessed Biden Vs Trump), but they deliberately did not allow it. But it can still change. 2023 is still far. And if they dont, by 2027, it is very sure, they will. Can you see the progress?

Tech will change things. But when you guys keep promoting obsolete stuff and you dont want to think forward, then , we will allow these old men to destroy Nigeria. Tech is the only tool we have.

Buhari banning Twitter exposed him more that he doesnt know what he is doing.
I appreciate your optimism but tech won't really change anything in Nigeria. Nigeria of the next ten years will be Afghanistan level or even worst especially with what is going on in the north while the south will be a completely failed state like Congo or Liberia. The only tech can do is just create a few economic opportunities for young Nigerians thats all but to change the fundamental structure of Nigeria. Forget it Nigeria will never change. Nigeria of today is even a paradise to the Nigeria coming. You cant even compare Nigeria of 2008 to the Nigeria of 2021. Then compare the Nigeria of 2041 to today. The future is very obvious except we want to deceive ourselves.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

C++ Beginner Discussion Room: Drop Your Codes / Letter From The Moderator - Please Read / Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 321
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.