Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,665 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach (23270 Views)

Boston Celtics Suspend Ime Udoka For 2022-23 Season / Ime Udoka Faces Suspension Over Consensual intimate relationship With Team Staff / Ime Udoka Becomes The First Nigerian To Coach A Team To The NBA Finals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by naptu2: 8:59am On Jun 24, 2021
Ime Udoka is a former Nigerian National Team (D'Tigers) player and is the younger brother of former D'Tigress captain, Mfon Udoka.

Seven things to know about the Celtics’ 18th head coach: Ime Udoka

By Tom Westerholm Boston.com Staff,
Updated June 23, 2021, 7:44 p.m.

In his new role as the Celtics president of basketball operations, Brad Stevens made two enormous moves for the franchise before the NBA Finals even began.

The first was last week’s trade of guard Kemba Walker to the Thunder in return forold friend of the franchise Al Horford. The second occurred Wednesday, as Stevens reportedly chose his replacement as head coach: Longtime NBA assistant Ime Udoka.

Udoka will step into his first position as head coach after nine years as an assistant. He was initially hired by the San Antonio Spurs in 2012 and spent seven years coaching under Gregg Popovich before he was poached by the Philadelphia 76ers prior to the 2019-20 season. Udoka joined Steve Nash and the Nets last offseason and helped coach Brooklyn’s star-studded squad.

Udoka has a relationship with Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart

Earlier this week, when Stevens spoke to the media for the first time since trading Walker, he said he stayed in “close contact” with Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown regarding the Celtics’ coaching search.

Udoka had a leg up as a candidate in that regard: He was an assistant with Team USA and coached both Tatum and Brown, as well as Marcus Smart. Per Stadium’s Jeff Goodman, all three players “liked and respected” Udoka.

Udoka had to grind out a career in the NBA

Udoka, a Portland native, spent his final collegiate season at Portland State University, where he averaged 14.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. The Charleston Lowgators of the NBDL (now the G-League) selected him with the 39th pick in the NBDL draft, and Udoka was called up to play for the Lakers in 2004. The 26-year-old was waived after just four games.

After a brief stint overseas, Udoka returned to the NBDL and averaged 17.1 points per game. The Knicks inked him to a deal in 2006, but Udoka was waived once again.

This time, however, Udoka didn’t need to travel to Europe — his hometown team, the Portland Trail Blazers, signed him and he started all 75 games in 2006-07.

Udoka averaged 8.4 points per game and hit 40.6 percent of his 3-pointers that season, but the Blazers waived him in 2007 to make room for rookie Patty Mills (who, interestingly, Udoka would later help coach to a championship with the Spurs in 2014). Udoka then spent two years in San Antonio, a season in Sacramento, and another season with the Spurs before traveling to Spain where his playing career came to an end.

Udoka can be a recruiter

During Udoka’s lone season with the Blazers, he forged a relationship with then-rookie LaMarcus Aldridge. Years later in the summer of 2015, Aldridge — by then a four-time All-Star — chartered a flight home to Dallas from Los Angeles.

Udoka was in Los Angeles as well, and Aldridge — thinking Udoka lived in San Antonio where he worked — offered his friend a ride.

Udoka agreed to hop on the jet. The only problem: He lived in Los Angeles.

“He’s like, ‘I live here [in Los Angeles] right now. I’m flying just to answer any questions you might have [about the Spurs],’” Aldridge said in 2015, per USA Today. “I was like, ‘Man, you’re crazy.’ I said, ‘Get off the plane.’ He said, ‘No, I’m going to answer any question that you have.’

“So I’m like, ‘You don’t have to do this. Don’t do this.’ He’s like, ‘Nah, I’m not getting off.’”

En route to Dallas, Udoka reassured Aldridge that the Spurs needed his offensive prowess and didn’t want him to fundamentally change who he was as a player.

Aldridge inked a four-year $80 million deal with the Spurs later that summer.

Udoka is the first Nigerian head coach in NBA history

Udoka’s late father was born in Nigeria, which qualified Udoka for Nigerian citizenship. He played for the Nigerian men’s basketball team at the 2006 FIBA World Championships.

After leaving Portland State, Udoka created an endowment for an annual scholarship given to both a business student and a basketball player in honor of his father.

“His point of coming to America was for college,” Udoka told FIBA Basketball’s website in 2007. “He got a degree in Business Administration at Portland State, met my mother here, got married and raised his family.”

Udoka is engaged to actress Nia Long

Long, who has won multiple awards including three “Outstanding Actress” NAACP Image Awards, played roles in films such as “Boyz N The Hood,” “Love Jones,” “Soul Food” and “Big Momma’s House.” She and Udoka went public with their relationship in 2010 and became engaged in 2015. The couple has a nine-year-old son together.

One of Udoka’s teammates once compared his fighting skills to Mortal Kombat

Presumably Udoka has no intention of getting into a brawl, but he’s up to the task if you ask his former Nigerian men’s national teammate Gabe Muoneke.

In 2007, Muoneke described a fight that broke out after a game at the African Championships in Algiers.

“[Udoka] was taking people out like in Mortal Kombat,” Muoneke wrote on Hoopshype, referencing the popular, ultra-violent fighting game. “’Finish him!’ Incredible. …

“In the middle of the whole thing I heard Ime, literally in mid-swing of another opponent say, ‘Watch back, Gabe’ and he calmly, I mean calmly, smeared a guy who, as I turned to see his warning, jumped from the stands with a chair to probably kill me or knock me out to where the crowd would have. I mean, Ime caught the guy in mid-air with a fist and calmly continued his dispatching of oncoming people.”

Udoka received rave reviews from around the league

A variety of voices weighed in on Udoka after the news broke, and opinions were overwhelmingly positive.

Rudy Gay told Stadium’s Jeff Goodman that, unlike many assistant coaches, Udoka won’t tell a player what he wants to hear and won’t back down from anyone, but “he’s got the perfect balance. He’ll laugh and joke, but knows how to be serious.”

Another anonymous coach told Goodman that with Udoka, “it’s not his way or the highway. He has an edge, but he’s not a hard-ass.”

Former NBA executive Ryan McDonough said those who have worked with Udoka see him as a “solid tactician” who is “good at developing strong relationships with players.”

But in 2015, Gregg Popovich offered perhaps the strongest endorsement.

“[Udoka] exudes a confidence and a comfort in his own skin where people just gravitate to him,” Popovich said. “He’s a fundamentally sound teacher because he’s comfortable with himself.”

The only problem?

“He doesn’t drink, so I can’t enjoy a glass of wine with him,” Popovich said. “He’s really boring at dinner.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/23/sports/seven-things-know-about-celtics-18th-head-coach-ime-udoka/

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by naptu2: 9:10am On Jun 24, 2021
More

6 Likes

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Penguin2: 9:15am On Jun 24, 2021
When will a northerner ever achieve this kind of fit?

Only to sympathize with terrorists and take quota system jobs that’s all they know.

Meanwhile what does it mean to be “Waived” in basketball?

146 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by HeavenlyHolines(m): 9:16am On Jun 24, 2021
F
Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Ever8090: 9:16am On Jun 24, 2021
Where is the "amaka" crew?.. suprise they are not here yet

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by jjcphenom(m): 9:16am On Jun 24, 2021
Biafra to the world.

Making this nation proud in Africa and beyond.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Burruchaga71(m): 9:17am On Jun 24, 2021
Igbo Amaka

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Seniorwriter(m): 9:17am On Jun 24, 2021
naptu2:
Ime Udoka is a former Nigerian National Team (D'Tigers) player and is the younger brother of former D'Tigress captain, Mfon Udoka.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/23/sports/seven-things-know-about-celtics-18th-head-coach-ime-udoka/

Sports is one of the best ways to earn in this times even via Online.
Reason I still broker and earn in $ as an e-sport merchant.

Congrats to Udoka.
joshboo:

How do you do this??
As an e-sport investor & facilitator.
Are you into e-sport investment?
@Joshboo you are yet to post your own different e-sport activities you indulge in many facets as you claimed....lolz

@Seniorwriter

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by BarrElChapo(m): 9:17am On Jun 24, 2021
Nice
Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 24, 2021
Igbo Amaka

5 states doing the nation proud

North has 19 states yet barren Terrorist enclave

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Blakpot: 9:19am On Jun 24, 2021
Igbo America amaka?

[Udoka] was taking people out like in Mortal Kombat,” Muoneke wrote on Hoopshype, referencing the popular, ultra-violent fighting game. “’Finish him!’ Incredible. …

“In the middle of the whole thing I heard Ime, literally in mid-swing of another opponent say, ‘Watch back, Gabe’ and he calmly, I mean calmly, smeared a guy who, as I turned to see his warning, jumped from the stands with a chair to probably kill me or knock me out to where the crowd would have. I mean, Ime caught the guy in mid-air with a fist and calmly continued his dispatching of oncoming people.”

Nnamdi Kanu is probably thinking of recruiting him into ESN.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by totosucker(m): 9:19am On Jun 24, 2021
Great Done Nigeria proud.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Mayordanny: 9:19am On Jun 24, 2021
Way to go wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Franking: 9:20am On Jun 24, 2021
Akwa Ibom amaka nu.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by rhythyson: 9:20am On Jun 24, 2021
Penguin2:

Only to sympathize with terrorists and take quota system jobs that’s all they know.

why did you take overdose of your drugs again?

mumu man

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Bofoy4(m): 9:20am On Jun 24, 2021
Akwa ibom Amaka

Akwa ibom Ayaya

Amaka = Ayaya

That's to say Akwa ibom Amayaya

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by ruggedtimi(m): 9:20am On Jun 24, 2021
Burruchaga71:
Igbo Amaka
Na ibibio oh

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by saintokwuluora(m): 9:21am On Jun 24, 2021
Ever8090:
Ibom amaka

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by airsaylongcome: 9:22am On Jun 24, 2021
Ever8090:

You do know that Mfon and her brother Ime are not Igbo right?

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by na2016: 9:22am On Jun 24, 2021
HeavenlyHolines:
F

This Nigeria is somehow. How do you frustrate your people but when they go outside to succeed, you will be the first to write an epistle about them.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by MrSamsung(m): 9:23am On Jun 24, 2021
Akwa boys cool

7 Likes

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by tillaman(m): 9:24am On Jun 24, 2021
Nia Long my lover

2 Likes

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by foreshore(m): 9:24am On Jun 24, 2021
naptu2:

Proudly Nigeria

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by africandollar: 9:26am On Jun 24, 2021
Wow, so he's been in a relationship with Nia Long since 2010? Na wa sha, even at 50 Nia no wan age o! African Queen! cool

1 Like

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Legendrysailor(m): 9:26am On Jun 24, 2021
Igbo's are superstars!!!!!!!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 24, 2021
Kudus!
Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by Legendrysailor(m): 9:29am On Jun 24, 2021
Penguin2:

Meanwhile what does it mean to be “Waived” in basketball?

Only when a camel passes through the eyes of a needle

3 Likes

Re: Ime Udoka Is The Boston Celtics' New Coach And First Nigerian NBA Head Coach by EMAXIM(m): 9:29am On Jun 24, 2021
Na AkwaCross son o and not Igbo
Nigeria Amaka!
God bless Nigeria!

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iker Casillas Suffers Heart Attack During Porto Training / Chairein Omeruo: Kenneth Omeruo & Wife Chioma Welcome Daughter Their First Child / Chelsea FC Include "Want Away Striker" Diego Costa In EPL Squad For 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.