Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) (8507 Views)

Since I Slept With My Staff She No Longer Respects Me Pls Advise Me / What Do You Advise Me To Do? / Help!! Business Or School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Elistho(m): 11:45am On Jun 24, 2021
[color=#990000][/color]

Good afternoon Nairalanders.

I believe I'm speaking to learned and sophisticated people.

I'm 18, done with high school, I wrote JAMB once last year and applied for Law in one of our universities. I studied very well for it, albeit, I scored 249 and I've not been given admission. To me, my score was a not so pleasing score as I studied thoroughly and vigorously for the exams and I didn't deserve the score.

In my bid to enter school as a law student or nothing, as I've much passion for law, I decided to register for a Diploma-in-Law program in another university, admission is sure with a good O'level.

Howbeit, few days pass by, I had a rethink, I'll say I'm from an average family and with the way the economy is, I'm not financially ready for school.

You might ask why I didn't register for JAMB again this year, I'm working in a POS point, and work 12hours a day for a meagre pay as low as 10k, no time for studies, as such, I couldn't register for JAMB, coupled with my plans for Diploma-in-Law, after that direct entry to degree or write JAMB next year while I'm in school, ditch the program for Degree without completing it.

Today, while discussing with mum, she tried coaxing me to wait and write JAMB again next year, and ditch the Diploma program as it's baseless and they've no money for it this year, that I'll go to school without any financial stress if I wait and write again next year.

With the aforementioned, I decided I'll buy a laptop and start blogging and freelancing as I'm a writer, this thing is a God given talent and I didn't learn from anybody, when I pen down articles, people ask where I learnt the skill from and that I'm close to perfect.

I decided to get a UK used laptop for 30k and develop myself while also making money via my writing career.

I've taken a good decision ditching school and trying to get a skill?

How can I also make money from my writes, I've heard of amazon, the only reliable and most popular, what can you recommend also?

How about a blog?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Skillsnigeria: 5:30pm On Jun 24, 2021
Any business both Online/offline you want to start, you need to learn it very well, using idea will take many years. By that time self, the business/work go don tire you. Anyway, writing for europeans is different from writing for Nigerians. There is a tone in their write-up that you can't easily grab unless you learn their writing style. I wish you good luck sha

4 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by AFvckingAlpha(m): 9:41am On Jun 25, 2021
The fvck

Niggarr!!

My advice and I hope it's well taken, focus on your personal development and pave way for yourself, you still young and there's a lot of time to get better in your niche.

You see all those school shit they crap, I mean even Buhari said graduating doesn't guarantee you a job grin.

All my years for Uni, see where e end, nah behind lappy, dey roam anonymous online.

So I keep hustling online to put food on the table, even the EFCC bust didn't deter me, guess who came out unscathed.

Bring your CL info make I run ID.me.

Nobody gon pave way for you except you my niggarr!!

I said what I said

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Cryomancer: 9:41am On Jun 25, 2021
OP.... I admire your courage to take up something doing at the moment and build your God given skill as well.

You did not make a mistake for ditching the diploma degree for now due to financial constraints, it shows maturity and understanding even though it was a hard decision to take. Not every family is financially buoyant at the moment, judging from the present situation of the country. But don't get carried away when you start making good money and dump the idea of going to school, you might regret it. A university degree is not a guarantee for a better future, but it is essential to have one.

Just follow heart as you have always done and prepare harder too so that you can stand a better chance next year when applying for any school because by now you must be aware that admission in law degree is very competitive especially in the southern and western universities .

I also chased Law for good 5yrs (due to my passion for the course) before i gave up and studied another course. And I'm well positioned today and i didn't regret switching.

P.S
Judging by the current disregard for the rule of law and human right in Nigeria and the large number of law graduates out there that are even willing to take up a 50k job anywhere, I'll advise you give law a second thought.

6 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by kingemaker(m): 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
Both. School here isn't necessarily you attending a tertiary institution. Studying law in Nigeria is a waste of one's time as far as I am concerned. cry

4 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by lordparcel: 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
Startup a Phishing Career wink

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Kaycee54321(m): 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
Whatever you do, don't ditch school.

Get a degree while learning a high value skill.

That degree which people call a "mere piece of paper" will open doors for you...

Personal experience:

My degree in a biological science course made it possible for me to work in a totally different field with my BSc.

Also, moving abroad as a career person (skilled labour) or through the study route means one can have several options/ways of migrating... instead of just hustling for tourist visa...

Don't ditch school.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Goldenheart(m): 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
cool

Learn whatever skill you can lay your hands on...
Your 30k Laptop is a gold mining tool...

Don't let it out of your sight

3 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Kindness218: 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
Develop yourself 1st. This country no get joy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by lovelylad: 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
My broda, it's both o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by abumeinben(m): 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
You have literacy. (Read and write)

You need education. (Degree)

Make sure you get a skill too. (Self develop)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by KanuSE: 9:42am On Jun 25, 2021
No Islamic rulings today. grin

3 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by captainamiedi1: 9:43am On Jun 25, 2021
do both.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by DiyLearn: 9:43am On Jun 25, 2021
Why not do both.

Self development can't hinder your University education.

You can contact us to improve yourself with our expect curated contents.

In
Copywriting
Digital Marketing
Web development
Affiliate Marketing

Web development Pathway

1 Like

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by justmondris: 9:43am On Jun 25, 2021
Both are better. Go to school and while in school, spend your free time doing self development instead of spending it chasing anything under skirt or engaging in other useless stuff.

2 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by captainamiedi1: 9:44am On Jun 25, 2021
lordparcel:
Startup a Phishing Career wink

scammer weldone

1 Like

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Ezedon(m): 9:44am On Jun 25, 2021
Both
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 25, 2021
Elistho:
Good afternoon Nairalanders...

How about if you learn Copywriting and get started on Upwork and Fiverr, and then you can scale out from there in the future?

Amazon is complicated and things like selling books or starting a blog or whatever else, will not make you instant cash (that's even if they ever make you any at all).

At this point, you need to learn and earn FAST.

Just quote me with the definition of Copywriting (as per how you understand it) if you're interested.

If I'm okay with your definition, I'll show you a link here on NL and send you an ebook (for Fiverr) that can help you get started.

1 Like

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Gns247: 9:46am On Jun 25, 2021
Elistho:
[color=#990000][/color]

I'm 18, done with high school, I wrote JAMB once last year and applied for Law in one of our universities. I studied very well for it, albeit, I scored 249 and I've not been given admission. To me, my score was a not so pleasing score as I studied thoroughly and vigorously for the exams and I didn't deserve the score.

In my bid to enter school as a law student or nothing, as I've much passion for law, I decided to register for a Diploma-in-Law program in another university, admission is sure with a good O'level.

Howbeit, few days pass by, I had a rethink, I'll say I'm from an average family and with the way the economy is, I'm not financially ready for school.

You might ask why I didn't register for JAMB again this year, I'm working in a POS point, and work 12hours a day for a meagre pay as low as 10k, no time for studies, as such, I couldn't register for JAMB, coupled with my plans for Diploma-in-Law, after that direct entry to degree or write JAMB next year while I'm in school, ditch the program for Degree without completing it.

Today, while discussing with mum, she tried coaxing me to wait and write JAMB again next year, and ditch the Diploma program as it's baseless and they've no money for it this year, that I'll go to school without any financial stress if I wait and write again next year.

With the aforementioned, I decided I'll buy a laptop and start blogging and freelancing as I'm a writer, this thing is a God given talent and I didn't learn from anybody, when I pen down articles, people ask where I learnt the skill from and that I'm close to perfect.

I decided to get a UK used laptop for 30k and develop myself while also making money via my writing career.

How can I also make money from my writes, I've heard of amazon, the only reliable and most popular, what can you recommend also?

How about a blog?

You can register with upwork to freelancing
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by AgentGoat: 9:46am On Jun 25, 2021
Go school first. You are too young for street hustle.

1 Like

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Karleb(m): 9:48am On Jun 25, 2021
You are still young, so go to school and study a course in line with your self development interest.

You don't want to go back to school at 30 because you didn't while you were young.

1 Like

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by izubext007: 9:48am On Jun 25, 2021
Both
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Seniorwriter(m): 9:49am On Jun 25, 2021
School(Education) & Self Development(Skills) are same....
SMH @the topic's narrative.

@Seniorwriter.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by TalkTalkTwins(m): 9:50am On Jun 25, 2021
Both
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by godlessmind: 9:55am On Jun 25, 2021
Elistho:
[color=#990000][/color]

How about a blog?

Blogging is not bad infact it's a good idea. My advice is get a skill before thinking of higher education cos after 4-5 years of schooling getting a job is another problem. I have a HND but that is not what is paying my bills now, the skill i learned on solar system installation is really helping me, very soon i will kiss this country good bye
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by tunary(m): 9:56am On Jun 25, 2021
If you cannot take both same time then go to sch first because of ur age, ur still young

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Vicas2000: 9:57am On Jun 25, 2021
Kaycee54321:
Whatever you do, don't ditch school.

Get a degree while learning a high value skill.

That degree which people call a "mere piece of paper" will open doors for you...

Personal experience:

My degree in a biological science course made it possible for me to work in a totally different field with my BSc.

Also, moving abroad as a career person (skilled labour) or through the study route means one can have several options/ways of migrating... instead of just hustling for tourist visa...

Don't ditch school.

Poster I was once in your shoes. Listen to this quy that I quoted.

Don't ditch school. You can postpone it though for 1-2 yrs if you want to hustle and make money.

If you are hard working and learn an online business you can make 1-2k dollars monthly to start with.

If you save up enough from your hustle...you can apply for a degree in the UK Via distance learning and get a bsc in 3yrs without even leaving the shores of Nigeria.

E.g. University of derby offers a bsc via distance learning at £5k per year.

But you've got to be extremely hardworking like a horse with 100x horse power to make it.

Wish you best of luck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Blacksavage: 9:59am On Jun 25, 2021
Bro focus on your writing skills and you will realized that school is just waste of time....
Afterall your brain no die...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing / Which Business Can I Start With 150k? / Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.