Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,264 members, 7,780,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:10 PM

Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity (1592 Views)

Allen Onyema Preaches 'Nigerian Unity' To Passengers Aboard Air Peace Flight / Biafra: "Nigerian Government Rejected My Demands" - Nnamdi Kanu / BIAFRA: Nigerian Government In Wild Panic Over IPOB Sit-at-home Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 24, 2021
Christistruth00:

Ojukwu asked all Easteners to return to the East

The fight was between Northerners and Easterners

Read your Aburi documents very well

Ojukwu never once accused Yorubas of killing Easterners

In Lagos Yorubas even had to be hiding Igbos from the Hausa Soldiers enraged at the murders of their leaders go and do your research properly

More than 30,000 Igbos spent the entire War in Lagos

Allison Ayida and Phillip Asiodu were both Igbo and Gowons Permanent Secretaries who spent the entire War in Lagos and they also wrote about it
Stop answering that one jare.
Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by LegendHero(m): 9:54pm On Jun 24, 2021
Banmeallday:

Ungrateful? Buhari is ungrateful. He is going to London again for medical checkups and doesnt give a rats azz to disclose why or disclose how much of your funds he is using to travel to enrich a British Hospital.

The reason why Nzeogwu is not ruling you till now is because of Ojukwu.

Or are you happy that Obasanjo and Buhari and IBB dem who all fought against Ojukwu mismanaged your country?

Blackie who dont reason and who refuse to grow up

How does this jargons relate to my post?

Ojuku is an ungrateful crook who doesn’t value his lieutenants. He also tried multiple time to get into politics, first as a failed senatorial candidate and a failed presidential candidate.

A man who led millions of his people to their death to secede from a country he switch allegiance from coming back to contest the polls of the country that raped and massacred his brethren is the highest epitome of shame I’ve ever seen in my life.

Ojuku might be a god to you Yeebos, but to me, he is a crook that deserve no respect or adulations from sane mind.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by LegendHero(m): 9:58pm On Jun 24, 2021
Tranquillity360:
Who told you yorubas didn't kill Easterners in west.

Why did Easterners left West?

Lol. How I wish they actually did that so your lies can be at least justified.

Ungrateful lots. The Northerners that actually erased your ancestors like DOTs seems vindicated at this point because no matter what you do for a Igbo man, he will still be ungrateful and project his own version of falsity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by T9ksy(m): 10:06pm On Jun 24, 2021
Asgard73:

Going from banjo precedents... he’s a man that need fame and love adventures.. banjo was not into Biafra ... for Biafra sake or humanity.. he was there as a solder of fortune .. reason why Ikemba handed him western axis .. which he equally disappointed his c-n-c

For your info... banjo was the first Nigerian soldier to be arrested for coup And imprisoned.

Ojukwu won’t have gone for Soyinka.. there’s no reason for that.. like foreign mercenaries.. they all went back..

Soyinka was there because he understood history and reason for the war.

Geez! You are so vacuous else, how could you assert that a serving military officer was "a soldier of fortune"? A little digging would have shown you that Banjo was actually arrested by Col. Kurubo and Maj. P.A. Anwuna, 2 days after the Jan. 15th coup, in the anteroom of the I. G.P's office whilst waiting to see Ironsi. He was charged allegedly, with attempting to kill the supreme commander -Ironsi and topple his govt with just his driver and 5 personal guards!

Banjo was in prison in the old eastern region before ojukwu released him to lead his Biafran Liberation Force ostensibly, to "liberate yorubaland" .

https://dawodu.com/banjo2.htm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by fregeneh(m): 10:33pm On Jun 24, 2021
Tranquillity360:
Who told you yorubas didn't kill Easterners in west.

Why did Easterners left West?

The same thing that made them to leave in '93' FEAR

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by Nobody: 2:18am On Jun 25, 2021
LegendHero:

Ungrateful lots. The Northerners that actually erase your ancestors like DOTs seems vindicated at this point because no matter what you do for a Igbo man, he will still be ungrateful and project his own version of falsity.

I tell you. So that we can know they are saying the truth.

1 Like

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by Nobody: 2:18am On Jun 25, 2021
[s]
1012twlve:
[/s]
Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by BKayy: 7:46am On Jun 25, 2021
Christistruth00:

We know History it was not only the Fulani Jihad that tried to overun Yorubaland and seize Lagos

Ojukwu did too in 1967 hence the Yoruba Proverb

"Ogun Ore, Ole Ku"

Interpretation :

The Battle of Ore was as tough as death.

It was at Ore that the Biafran Army was stopped by 179 Soldier's led by col iluyomade

Nobody imagined that the Biafran Army could attempt to invade Lagos because according to Ojukwu they were fighting for their own Survival in the East

We were least prepared for war when Biafran soldiers attacked my command in Ore — Major iluyomade

Colonel Oyinlade iluyomade (rtd) is a civil war veteran, renowned for his role in curtailing the onslaught of the Biafran army at Ore, Ondo State.

Your role during the civil war, particularly how you curtailed the onslaught of the Biafran soldiers at Ore has been spoken about by fellow military men like General Alabi Isama, what exactly happened at the war front?

When the civil war commenced around June to July 1967, I was based in Ibadan where I commanded a small unit. But I joined the military in 1952 with Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida and Sani Abacha, who were my colleagues. I was sent to India for military training to be commissioned as Infantry, that is, to fight wars. The war started from the north, but it got to a point when the Biafran soldiers wanted to break through and conquer the West, they believed that if they conquered the West, it would be easy for them to manoeuvre their way through to the North. So, they wanted to break through Ore into the West, then straight to Lagos. But, at the beginning of August, I was despatched to Ore village to act as Security Officer, to ensure internal security and, to make the civilians aware of the presence of the federal troops. I was there with 33 soldiers. Later, Biafra captured Mid West, and arrived in Benin. This meant that their next target was the West. So I was told by then Colonel Olusegun Obasanjo, who was the Commander in Ibadan, to move to Ore border, which is about 19 miles to Ore village. Then, I moved there that night but I told Obasanjo that I was ill-equipped to curtail the Biafran attack. What can 33 soldiers do? So, he promised to reinforce and he did keep to his promise. Then, our total strength grew to 179 soldiers to defend the place.

I had premonition of danger and when I got to Ore, I deployed my troops towards the Western region. The bridge at Ofosu was the boundary, so I went ahead to survey the area to know the mountainous and forested areas. And I deployed my troops, so if there would be an attack on the West, they would have to cross the bridge. So I safeguarded the bridge and gave my troops instruction not to allow anybody cross over. By that time, there was an instruction that I shouldn’t allow anybody into the West.

After deployment of troops, I rose up from my trench at about 12 midnight, it started to rain heavily, but I told the troops not to leave their trenches. So, we dug in. Then, when I saw the skyline of the vehicles of the Biafran soldiers coming towards us, I shouted that no one should fire except me. And the battle started minutes past midnight. But the bridge was so heavy that they could not penetrate. If they had known that we had a small number, maybe they could have made the effort to penetrate. So we confused them, the place was well secured and we never lost any soldier.

One can deduce from your exploits then that you were proactive and strategic in battle, do you observe such qualities in today’s military operation?

I was the only officer, the others were other ranks so I commanded them. I don’t know how the current Army is deployed and how they work. But, the way I look at them now, I would not want to comment but they know how they operate. But, in our own days, we were tough and well-trained; we were dedicated and had the ability to withstand any odd.

Are these qualities lacking in today’s Army?

I would not say they are lacking. I think money now has a great role to play. Money is used to dampen soldiers’ professionalism. If soldiers know that money is now so much available, you can understand their current thinking. Moreover, those who fought well during the civil war were not compensated. Those that did not fight at all were the ones promoted. Those who ran away were promoted. I would not want to mention names.

I recall you once complained that you were never promoted to the position of a General?

I was not promoted, even to the position of a full Colonel. Maybe because I am a Yoruba man, I can say this boldly anywhere. Look at what happened to late Benjamin Adekunle, for example. Who fought the civil war more than Adekunle? But, he was neglected, Why? The exception was Akinrinade that managed to become the Chief of Army Staff. Ariyo was driven away, someone just placed a letter on his table that he was retired; he never saw the person. What offence did he commit? Just because he was Yoruba; so many Yorubas, like that, were neglected. Nothing was given to us. It is very terrible.

The force is dominated by the north and they want to continue to enjoy the largesse of the military. They claim that Yorubas have many engineers, lawyers, doctors and other professionals hence we should not wrest the military from the Northerners. We are still angry with how we were treated; we just bottled it up. And from the beginning till end of the war, people like me never left the war front. I was one of the five brigade commanders that ended the war.

You have bottled up your anger for so long, is it time for you to let out this anger as you now have a fellow soldier, also from the North, now elected as President?

No, Buhari is a nice man, he is a fellow military man. He is an amiable man, a very nice man, plain-hearted, a gentle man to the core. I know him.

You seem to know Buhari so well, can you tell us more about the Buhari that you know.

I worked with Buhari when we were together in Marine Commando. He was GOS next to the General Officer Commanding and I was Divisional Training Officer, I was training and teaching other ranks. That was where I met Buhari. He was very nice, amiable to people. He was also a wonderful Head of State and he is a disciplinarian. He does not condone nonsense and I love him.

You have claimed to love Buhari so much, however, Nigerians would only love him so well if he lives up to expectations. Do you think he can live up to the high expectations of Nigerians?

Why not? To become a Major, you are well-read, hence you can tackle any problem. Mobolaji Johnson was a Major when he was appointed Administrator of Lagos. To become a major, you would have passed through the Staff College, attended several trainings, taken exams, attended different courses, partook in seminars to brush you up and acquire intelligence. Military men also read personally. I have a personal library where I have good books. I read on military, politics, philosophy among other aspects of life. Winston Churchhill read up to Class 4 and became the Prime Minister of Britain and the whole Commonwealth. And he led the Commonwealth military to victory. Adolf Hitler read only up to Form 2 level and he wanted to conquer and rule the whole world. What audacity other than the fact that he read wide. It is not about having a PhD; what is PhD to us? We read wide.

Do you canvass for the inclusion of retired military men in the new government?

Yes. For example, if I become a minister in Buhari’s government, my ministry will shine. Consider Brigadier General Samuel Ogbemudia in Bendel, he developed Bendel. Which governor has developed Bendel, now Edo State, the way Ogbemudia did till date? None. He was a military man. Back then, money was not the issue, but we fought to win the war. It was about being a real man.

What about fears that the dictatorial tendencies of military men, if largely involved, will be laid bare in our democratic practice?

The world is civilised and there is no more dictatorship. Democracy is practised around the world now. There is no country that practices dictatorship that will progress. A civilian should come up with policies that are beneficial but where the civilians fail, there may be the need for. For example, there is no reason all roads in the country should not be tarred. We should have water, electricity. Why can’t we have adequate power supply in the country? We lack dynamic leaders. We have voted them in now. Rather than for some of them to better the country, they will be after enriching themselves. What for? It is out of lack of imagination. But, I have confidence that Buhari will deliver. I can shout on top of my voice about this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenationonlineng.net/we-were-least-prepared-for-war-when-biafran-soldiers-attacked-my-command-in-ore-major-iluyomade/amp/
I am sure you did not read this thing you posted.
No shot was fired at ore
According to your article, the man and his boys Hid and while the rain stopped the Biafran troops. He even said that if the troops saw them and their number that they would have decided to overrun them.
It still boils down to the truth that no shot was fired
Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by T9ksy(m): 9:47am On Jun 25, 2021
BKayy:

No shot was fired at ore
According to your article, the man and his boys Hid and while the rain stopped the Biafran troops. He even said that if the troops saw them and their number that they would have decided to overrun them.

If no shot was fired at Ore, why then did the biafran Liberation Front did an "usain bolt" back to their short-lived republic?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by christistruth01: 10:53am On Jun 25, 2021
BKayy:

No shot was fired at ore

179 Soldiers defeated the Biafran Army at Ore

" After deployment of troops, I rose up from my trench at about 12 midnight, it started to rain heavily, but I told the troops not to leave their trenches. So, we dug in. Then, when I saw the skyline of the vehicles of the Biafran soldiers coming towards us, I shouted that no one should fire except me. And the battle started minutes past midnight. But the bridge was so heavy that they could not penetrate. If they had known that we had a small number, maybe they could have made the effort to penetrate. So we confused them, the place was well secured and we never lost any soldier."
Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by christistruth01: 11:29am On Jun 25, 2021
BKayy:

No shot was fired at ore

grin grin grin grin grin

Do you think that it was Amala Cooking Sticks that the Women of Ore used to Chase Ojukwu's Biafran Army out of the Western Region and back to the East in absolute Panic and disarray ?!

2 Likes

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by TheSupleemLeada(m): 11:32am On Jun 25, 2021
LegendHero:

Ungrateful lots. The Northerners that actually erase your ancestors like DOTs seems vindicated at this point because no matter what you do for a Igbo man, he will still be ungrateful and project his own version of falsity.

You know these people.

1 Like

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by BKayy: 12:27pm On Jun 25, 2021
christistruth01:

grin grin grin grin grin

Do you think that it was Amala Cooking Sticks that the Women of Ore used to Chase Ojukwu's Biafran Army out of the Western Region and back to the East in absolute Panic and disarray ?!
What are the numbers of the casualties if shots were fired?
It is not news that our definition of battle is different from your peoples own.
To you guys it's about shouting.

1 Like

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by BKayy: 12:30pm On Jun 25, 2021
christistruth01:

179 Soldiers defeated the Biafran Army at Ore

" After deployment of troops, I rose up from my trench at about 12 midnight, it started to rain heavily, but I told the troops not to leave their trenches. So, we dug in. Then, when I saw the skyline of the vehicles of the Biafran soldiers coming towards us, I shouted that no one should fire except me. And the battle started minutes past midnight. But the bridge was so heavy that they could not penetrate. If they had known that we had a small number, maybe they could have made the effort to penetrate. So we confused them, the place was well secured and we never lost any soldier."
This is why I said that our definition of battle and Yoruba own is different.
To us it involves killing and struggle but to una, na just noise making.
Tell me how many people your 179 soldiers injured talkless of killing?

Like I said before, NO shot was fired.
This is how you people run up and down spreading fairly tales as history like you did with Oyo fairly tale while in reality it took a bunch of teenage girls to dismantle.

How many soldiers did your troops injure?

1 Like

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by BKayy: 12:34pm On Jun 25, 2021
T9ksy:

If no shot was fired at Ore, why then did the biafran Liberation Front did a "usain bolt" back to their short-lived republic?
Banjo was loitering around Benin and holding meetings up and down with his fellow Yoruba people. He never wanted to invade Western Region which was why he was recalled and tried.
He wasted two solid weeks in Benin doing nothing. Two solid weeks during wartime, do you have any idea what it means?

1 Like

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by christistruth01: 12:58pm On Jun 25, 2021
BKayy:

Banjo was loitering around Benin and holding meetings up and down with his fellow Yoruba people. He never wanted to invade Western Region which was why he was recalled and tried.
He wasted two solid weeks in Benin doing nothing. Two solid weeks during wartime, do you have any idea what it means?

How did an Igbo speaking Major Okonkwo manage to be Governor in the newly Occupied non Igbo Majority Midwest why did Ojukwu replace the Urhobo Col Ejoor and put and Igbo Speaking Okonkwo in his Place

So you were expecting to do the same in the Western Region..

No wonder the Biafran Army suffered such a disgraceful defeat at the hands of only 179 Soldiers at Ore

Even God was not on your Side
That was why it started raining at the most Critical moment

1 Like

Re: Biafra 1967: The Hidden Part Of Yoruba Stance On Biafra / Nigerian Unity by BKayy: 1:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
christistruth01:

How did an Igbo speaking Major Okonkwo manage to be Governor in the newly Occupied non Igbo Majority Midwest why did Ojukwu replace the Urhobo Col Ejoor and put and Igbo Speaking Okonkwo in his Place

So you were expecting to do the same in the Western Region..

No wonder the Biafran Army suffered such a disgraceful defeat at the hands of only 179 Soldiers at Ore

Even God was not on your Side
That was why it started raining at the most Critical moment
You still dey carry this your lie around like you people normally do.
Tell us the number of casualties your mystical 179 Spartans inflicted on Biafran troops

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

1999-2007: The Evils Of The Tinubu Administration / Photos Of Senator Ademola Adeleke Governorship Campaign In Ife North, Ife South / Peter Obi, The So Called Successful Banker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.