Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media (6766 Views)

Hearing In Abba Kyari's Bail Suffers Setback As FG Denies Service / #EndSARS: We Must Regulate Social Media Before It Destroys Us – Lai Mohammed / Offa Robbery: Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed Denies Sponsoring Arrested Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by November1857(m): 1:09pm On Jun 25, 2021
FG makes U-turn, denies sponsoring bills to regulate social media

The Federal Government on Friday denied sponsoring bills purportedly meant to gag the press and regulate social media.

Recall that the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, had urged the House of Representatives to National Broadcasting Commission Act.

The Minister made the call at the public hearing on a bill to amend the NBC Act organized by the House Committee on Information.

“I will want to add that specifically, internet broadcasting and all online media should be included in this because we have a responsibility to monitor content— including Twitter,” he said.

However, in an interview with newsmen in Lagos, Mohammed said the bills concerning the Nigerian Press Council and the National Broadcasting Commission were private member bills sponsored by a lawmaker in the National Assembly.

“First, let me say how disappointed I am that those who have been berating me on these bills have been doing so on a false premise that the Federal Government had sponsored bills to stifle the press.

”This is a classic case of misinformation because the Federal Government did not sponsor any bill to gag the press.

“It baffles me that those who rushed to the media to slam the government didn’t even try to verify the facts,’’ he said

The minister further stated that the National Assembly member who sponsored the bills had done nothing wrong. He said the legislator was only was elected to do.

“I insist that the bills were not sponsored by the Federal Government.

“I was invited, as the Minister of Information and Culture, to make my contributions, just like many other stakeholders at the public hearing.

“It was an opportunity for stakeholders to make their input into the bills.

”I attended and made my contributions,’’ he added.

Amnesty kicks against calls by FG to regulate social media.
https://dailypost.ng/2021/06/25/fg-makes-u-turn-denies-sponsoring-bills-to-regulate-social-media/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by mouthofThegod: 1:11pm On Jun 25, 2021
Just wait! Get ready, he's coming with another one

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by BonaMagnate(m): 1:16pm On Jun 25, 2021
To some people, there is nothing like shame but honour in lying.

If a father can lie this way, I wonder what his children would be capable of.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by BonaMagnate(m): 1:17pm On Jun 25, 2021
The great liar lai on the beat.
It's well.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by AntiBMC(m): 1:17pm On Jun 25, 2021
They will also deny that they didn't meet China to beg them for their firewall to block the internet in UAR.

7 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Paperwhite(m): 1:18pm On Jun 25, 2021
Lori iro.Same matter Lai Mohammed and those stupid senators from Niger state were championing with gusto until their state became consumed by bandits and terrorists.Fear APC! These guys are very evil and wicked with lies

5 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by insidelife22(m): 1:20pm On Jun 25, 2021
lai will come out with something like~we only said we will remove Biafra treads from Nairaland and ban people who create them,we never said we will regulate social media.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Paperwhite(m): 1:21pm On Jun 25, 2021
The minister further stated that the National Assembly member who sponsored the bills had done nothing wrong. He said the legislator was only was elected to do.I insist that the bills were not sponsored by the Federal Government.
The federal government has asked the house of representatives to enact a law to regulate social and online media in Nigeria

At a public hearing organised by the house on Wednesday, Lai Mohammed, minister of information, asked the lawmakers to amend the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) act to empower the agency to regulate social and online media.

FG seeks law to regulate social, online media
https://www.thecable.ng/fg-seeks-law-to-regulate-social-online-media/amp

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jun 25, 2021
Lying wizards...
Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 25, 2021

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by design106: 1:32pm On Jun 25, 2021
grin
Is there anything they haven't denied yet?
Abeg.

5 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by WiszyFraud: 1:32pm On Jun 25, 2021
Did you know??

Parents who spend little or no quality time with their growing kids have no moral right to complain about the kids' behaviour.

lipsrsealed

16 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by bayelsaowei(m): 1:32pm On Jun 25, 2021
The Federal denying government of Nigeria.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Enudapan: 1:33pm On Jun 25, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

If you like ban everything
En still no concern us!

Just like we have Even all forgotten that Twitter was ban, as VPN has become a normal thing for us

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by slawormiir: 1:33pm On Jun 25, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Pussy ass government

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Sebastine1994(m): 1:33pm On Jun 25, 2021
I know Lai Mohammed down to his village and everything.

trust me, this man is a good person.

just that devil is using him
Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by VanBommel(m): 1:34pm On Jun 25, 2021
Shameless lying old vulture

8 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by stunnert(m): 1:34pm On Jun 25, 2021
D
Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by mbahdi(m): 1:34pm On Jun 25, 2021
Useless old men
Sai barbarians

8 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Kaybee14(m): 1:34pm On Jun 25, 2021
It is well.

1 Like

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Thinktwicemybro: 1:35pm On Jun 25, 2021
One issue we keep having in Nigeria is that we allow politicians to rule us instead of professionals. As a matter of fact our leaders are as dumb as the ostrich.
What stops us from bringing the likes of akinwumi adeshina, okonjo iweala to rule as president?
How can a minister of information be this dumb? He is not even informed. How can the artoney general be this useless?
How can you demand that Twitter set up office in Nigeria and license before they can operate? Does this dumb pair know that the internet is global and the white only borrowed us? Do they know that the internet has a global unrestricted law? What law did malami study? At least he would have googled it.
If Twitter must need a license and office to operate in Nigeria, that means all social media platforms in Nigeria including nairaland will have to set up office, and seek lincense in the United States and all other nations before people there can assess their contents. Would that not lead to the death of these media entrepreneurs? Can seun afford that?
These idiots does not know that people pay for ads on faceb00k, nairaland etc to reach the whole world and not just Nigerians.
Is their aim to kill young business in Nigeria? They said Twitter is against Nigeria, what is their proof? Before the US Congress invited mark zukerberg, they had proof of privacy breach by Faceb00k!

Nigerians wake up, take your future in your hands, all they are suggesting for us is a drug baron thief and recycled àbokis. It's a shame!
This below is their wish for your children.

9 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Dangrace01: 1:35pm On Jun 25, 2021
Lie
Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Seniorwriter(m): 1:35pm On Jun 25, 2021
Government of denial and propaganda....SMH

@Seniorwriter

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by DDDEnterprises: 1:37pm On Jun 25, 2021
At least, they should stop using Lai of all people. His words have like 0.00001% chance to be believed. grin

3 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by cjudy(m): 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2021
grin
But you sponsor the creations of one cow app and ban twitter so you can control the masses. Una eyes go soon open

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2021
Ok
According to liar Mohammed, if you browse Twitter with VPN, you risk exposing your your bank details.. (don't remember VPN is also known as bvn).
These folks will one day leave office and I wonder how their lives would look like henceforth..
Lie has successfully created factions in APC kwara state.
Dem dey wait am for house after retirement..

2 Likes

Re: FG Denies Sponsoring Bills To Regulate Social Media by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 25, 2021
Marry someone who speaks about you ALL THE TIME the way Lie Mohammed speaks about Twitter

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Accept Appeal Court Judgement Sacking Nwokocha From Senate – PDP Advises LP / I Won’t Allow My Daughter Do What I Did With Ojukwu - Bianca / Covered Number Plates Banned In Lagos. No More Chief Of Your Village On Plates.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.