Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,867 members, 7,806,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. (3379 Views)

Ebuka Vs A Nairalander: Who Rocked It Better? (Pics) / CYPAID: A Nairalander In The USA Launches His Clothing Line / What A Nairalander Showed His Tailor Vs What He got (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:34am On Jun 26, 2021
There nothing quite like the feeling of people recognising you based on your perfume.

As a woman in my late 20s, i can say that i and perfumes, have come a long way. Let me tell you an open secret (you don't need to break the bank to smell like a million bucks)

Everyone starts from somewhere, i started from using my mom's, but she wasn't a perfume coniesseur and used anything that landed on her vanity. So i wasn't a fan.

What kind of perfumes do I like now? I like more mature, more flowery, musky, woody, oriental fragrances (not oud pls, it smells like aboki). If it is cloying sweet i don't like it, i also no longer like fruity fragrances. I've outgrown them

Perfumes and I took off, right after secondary school. The first perfume that I saw, smelt on someone and liked was body fantasies cucumber melon. The real OGs will know this very popular scent, it's fresh, light, mouthwatering sweet in a good way, and it was always sold out at the supermarket on campus. Besides as a student, the point was to get the cheapest perfume with the most value and at 236ml and a better economy back then, cucumber melon was lit and would last me months. As i moved to the medical campus, i would come to be known among my friends as the girl who smelt like body fantasies. I had tried almost every perfume of thiers that came my way. Some i loved to the core, others i hated with a passion. Others were unimpressive and 'meh' at best.

Apart from cucumber melon, noteworthy sprays that deserve the clout in the body fantasies collection include the following:

Vanilla: this should be the safest, starting point of perfumes for anyone. We all know what vanilla smells like, whether the icecream or the flavoring used to make cake.

Sexiest musk: there's was something that gave me confidence about this scent. It was comfortable and sexy at the same time. This one like cucumber melon holds a special place in my heart. If i ever saw it. I would buy every last one and drink garri that month. It is my favorite body fantasies.

Plumeria: this brings me to the tree which i had in primary school, the flowers bloomed year round except may to july. It's is also called frangipani. It's the nostalgia for me.

Japanese cherry blossom: if you had this scent, you were a real OG because it was so scarce. It's very sophisticated to boot.

Other noteworthy mentions are sweet pea(never tried) and white musk(i was too afraid to try it. It smelt suspicious to me)

The body fantasies which i dislike immensely till today:

NB: that I hate then doesn't mean you won't like them.

Cotton candy:[/b]if you have ever eaten (stolen) a jar of sugar and eaten so much it becomes bitter and scratchy at the back of your tongue and makes you want to vomit a little. Cotton candy smells so sickenly, cloyingly sweet like pure sugar and for some people, that smell doesn't go well with sweat and the smell follows you like a curse. I'm having nausea just remembering the scent. It's so polarising, you either love or hate it.

[b]Strawberry:
maybe it's because I hate anything strawberry in general, it's sickening sweet too. Don't come for me.

Raspberry: sister to strawberry, not a fan

By the time I was getting to these perfumes, i was outgrowing body fantasies because they were beginning to smell similar and these are just okay in my opinion and do not warrant their own paragraph ;

Iced cupcakes (had a vanilla, pineapple, burnt sugar smell) twilight mist(a little flowery but mostly sweet) sweet sunrise (similar to twilight mist but more brighter and cheery)

Body fantasies was just becoming so expensive. It was Time to move on, but that stage of my life, i was becoming a woman but still had the budget of a student. My nose was thirsting for adventure so i upgraded to (drum roll please)

SMART COLLECTION

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by Kriss216: 9:01am On Jun 26, 2021
Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by wealthtrak: 8:36am On Aug 05, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
There nothing quite like the feeling of people recognising you based on your perfume.

As a woman in my late 20s, i can say that i and perfumes, have come a long way. Let me tell you an open secret (you don't need to break the bank to smell like a million bucks)

Everyone starts from somewhere, i started from using my mom's, but she wasn't a perfume coniesseur and used anything that landed on her vanity. So i wasn't a fan.

What kind of perfumes do I like now? I like more mature, more flowery, musky, woody, oriental fragrances (not oud pls, it smells like aboki). If it is cloying sweet i don't like it, i also no longer like fruity fragrances. I've outgrown them

Perfumes and I took off, right after secondary school. The first perfume that I saw, smelt on someone and liked was body fantasies cucumber melon. The real OGs will know this very popular scent, it's fresh, light, mouthwatering sweet in a good way, and it was always sold out at the supermarket on campus. Besides as a student, the point was to get the cheapest perfume with the most value and at 236ml and a better economy back then, cucumber melon was lit and would last me months. As i moved to the medical campus, i would come to be known among my friends as the girl who smelt like body fantasies. I had tried almost every perfume of thiers that came my way. Some i loved to the core, others i hated with a passion. Others were unimpressive and 'meh' at best.

Apart from cucumber melon, noteworthy sprays that deserve the clout in the body fantasies collection include the following:

Vanilla: this should be the safest, starting point of perfumes for anyone. We all know what vanilla smells like, whether the icecream or the flavoring used to make cake.

Sexiest musk: there's was something that gave me confidence about this scent. It was comfortable and sexy at the same time. This one like cucumber melon holds a special place in my heart. If i ever saw it. I would buy every last one and drink garri that month. It is my favorite body fantasies.

Plumeria: this brings me to the tree which i had in primary school, the flowers bloomed year round except may to july. It's is also called frangipani. It's the nostalgia for me.

Japanese cherry blossom: if you had this scent, you were a real OG because it was so scarce. It's very sophisticated to boot.

Other noteworthy mentions are sweet pea(never tried) and white musk(i was too afraid to try it. It smelt suspicious to me)

The body fantasies which i dislike immensely till today:

NB: that I hate then doesn't mean you won't like them.

Cotton candy:[/b]if you have ever eaten (stolen) a jar of sugar and eaten so much it becomes bitter and scratchy at the back of your tongue and makes you want to vomit a little. Cotton candy smells so sickenly, cloyingly sweet like pure sugar and for some people, that smell doesn't go well with sweat and the smell follows you like a curse. I'm having nausea just remembering the scent. It's so polarising, you either love or hate it.

[b]Strawberry:
maybe it's because I hate anything strawberry in general, it's sickening sweet too. Don't come for me.

Raspberry: sister to strawberry, not a fan

By the time I was getting to these perfumes, i was outgrowing body fantasies because they were beginning to smell similar and these are just okay in my opinion and do not warrant their own paragraph ;

Iced cupcakes (had a vanilla, pineapple, burnt sugar smell) twilight mist(a little flowery but mostly sweet) sweet sunrise (similar to twilight mist but more brighter and cheery)

Body fantasies was just becoming so expensive. It was Time to move on, but that stage of my life, i was becoming a woman but still had the budget of a student. My nose was thirsting for adventure so i upgraded to (drum roll please)

SMART COLLECTION
As an OG, I find your post on
perfums to be insightful.

I love musky and woody scented notes though as a man. wink

You write like you're older than your real age range here. I didn't realise you're a real young doc prior to this moment. grin

Nice thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by emmaodet: 5:19pm On May 01, 2023
Hello Funmi.

I see you are a lover of perfume, which means we are in the same boat.
I love perfumes.
They know me for this at work place.
I developed interest on perfs in my senior secondary school days.
I don't know the brands you listed but I guess they are all feminine perfumes.
I started with Brute and Nivea roll on and with time moved up to Active Man.
One thing I noticed about these perfs is that they are mostly eau de toilettes and not eau de parfum which means even though they have good fragrances, they don't last much.
Max 2/3 active hours while like 6/8 passive hours.
Over the years have tried many fragrances like Smart collections, Faithful (many people asked me for this perf name when I used it but very very scarce) and my last perf was Aventus Blue about 12/15k
I love Aventus Blue most because it has this masculine oak/mahogany fragrance and it is not loud unlike feminine perfs.
It just gives you that cool, quiet, masculine scents that is attractive to females.
But I am budgeting 50 to 80k for a bad perf next week.
If I just use am fiammmmmm!!!! Anywhere I pass should still have the scent for the next 15 mins.
My target was to get it in Dubai because they have a largeeeeeee mad duty free outlets for perfs and many other things but emirate has cancelled flights to Nigeria, likewise UAE placed a ban on us so most of my traveling's had always been taag airline or eithopia or Turkish airlines.
So my plan is just to buy it at Ikeja city mall. They have a good nice perf outlet there too

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by LINSAR: 7:43am On Sep 03, 2023
DrFunmisticGlow:

SMART COLLECTION

Please what's the type of smart collection you use?
I use 256/257 can't remember correctly, and it's not strong enough for me.
Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:35pm On Sep 03, 2023
LINSAR:

Please what's the type of smart collection you use?
I use 256/257 can't remember correctly, and it's not strong enough for me.
Chanel no 5.

But nowadays I just add a few drops of perfume oil into my body oil and lotion. It seems to do the trick
Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by emmaodet: 4:35pm On Sep 03, 2023
DrFunmisticGlow:
Chanel no 5.

But nowadays I just add a few drops of perfume oil into my body oil and lotion. It seems to do the trick

Which of the perfume oils do you use?
Honestly, I think I will stick with my old ways of getting a good perf which is by asking someone who uses nice fragrance around me the name.
That will remove the stress of knowing or testing thousands of perfs in market before getting the one I like.
Bought a perf at Ikeja city mall 4 months ago for 104k but it doesn't smell for long and even the aroma distance is very poor.
You will have to literally hug me to perceive the fragrance and that is bad enough for a perf of such amount.
I prefer the one that someone can perceive 2m away atleast and with citrus or oak/mahogany aroma
Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by LINSAR: 11:53pm On Sep 03, 2023
DrFunmisticGlow:
Chanel no 5.

Oh thank you.

I don't use body lotion and the likes. I'll just stick to the perfume.
Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by LINSAR: 11:55pm On Sep 03, 2023
emmaodet:

Which of the perfume oils do you use?
Honestly, I think I will stick with my old ways of getting a good perf which is by asking someone who uses nice fragrance around me the name.
That will remove the stress of knowing or testing thousands of perfs in market before getting the one I like.
Bought a perf at Ikeja city mall 4 months ago for 104k but it doesn't smell for long and even the aroma distance is very poor.
You will have to literally hug me to perceive the fragrance and that is bad enough for a perf of such amount.
I prefer the one that someone can perceive 2m away atleast and with citrus or oak/mahogany aroma

You don't need to spend that much to smell nice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by emmaodet: 12:44am On Sep 04, 2023
LINSAR:

I know, just that I need something different and unique.
Reason why I bought it but I am somehow disappointed sha.
Have used perfs of 12,15 and 20k that delivered far more than this present one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by ONNYX: 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2023
emmaodet:

I know, just that I need something different and unique.
Reason why I bought it but I am somehow disappointed sha.
Have used perfs of 12,15 and 20k that delivered far more than this present one

This is very apt. You took this position straight from my brain and wrote them out here.

Trust me. It's not in the price or the advertising.

While I don't like really strong scents I have come to terms with the fact that the price is the worst variable in choosing a perfume/scent.

I am in the market now for a good scent. So much confusion but I am looking at getting something with a strong wooden inclination of Arabian extraction.

A good perfume oil will also do the trick. But make sure it has not suffered extreme dilution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by emmaodet: 12:51am On Sep 07, 2023
ONNYX:

This is very apt. You took this position straight from my brain and wrote them out here.

Trust me. It's not in the price or the advertising.

While I don't like really strong scents I have come to terms with the fact that the price is the worst variable in choosing a perfume/scent.

I am in the market now for a good scent. So much confusion but I am looking at getting something with a strong wooden inclination of Arabian extraction.

A good perfume oil will also do the trick. But make sure it has not suffered extreme dilution.

Exactly bro.
Price is the worst form of determining a good perf.
While oil is good, I still prefer perf.
Oil doesn't travel long. I mean for you to feel oil, it has to be like 1m distance. Though oil last longer on the body compared to perf but perf can be perceived 2m or more away.
Also a good perf will still be lingering in a room some minutes when you have left compared to oil.
I have used aventus blue and black leather and when I wear these perfs, people do say they know I passed a place some minutes before because even though they didn't see me, they perceived my perf and that is a signature there. Communication without altering a sound
Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by emmaodet: 12:53am On Sep 07, 2023
LINSAR:

The perf is Blue de Channel

Re: A Nairalander's Perfume Appreciation Thread. by balfoursem(m): 6:45pm On Nov 09, 2023
Exploring scents like Vanilla, Sexiest Musk, Plumeria, and Japanese Cherry Blossom adds a unique dimension to your perfume journey. It's like each fragrance has its own story and memory attached to it. It's also important to mention the ones that didn't quite make the cut, like Cotton Candy, Strawberry, and Raspberry – everyone's nose has its own preferences! As you move on to more adventurous scents, it's great to know that you found an online store where you can try out any luxury fragrance sample. It's a smart way to explore new scents without committing to a full-size bottle.

(1) (Reply)

Ladies Tokunbo Pants (okrika Pata) / Fashionable Imported Centre Rugs / Quality Plain T-shirt @3,300 Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.