Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,034 members, 7,803,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers (19367 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / The Ways Of A Bini(edo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 07, 2011
Found this online. . . . .quite interesting.
Love the video tho!!

No wonder the Western world confuses Binis with Yorubas. Check the hair beads and attire, a mixture of bini and Yoruba tradition.

Traditional dancers from Owo, at Chief Akingboye's Grandmother's Funeral Ceremony Okitipupa, Ondo State

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790VfEynfSs?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 07, 2011
^^^ Next time, these ladies need to put some Yorubaness in their dance and shake what their momma gave them tongue

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Chyz2: 10:20pm On May 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Found this online. . . . .quite interesting.
Love the video tho!!

No wonder the Western world confuses Binis with Yorubas. Check the hair beads and attire, a mixture of bini and Yoruba tradition.

Traditional dancers from Owo, at Chief Akingboye's Grandmother's Funeral Ceremony Okitipupa, Ondo State

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790VfEynfSs?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

The Owo yorubas were conquered by the Benin kingdom. So what you're seeing is more of Bini influence rather than Bini/Yoruba similarities.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by bokohalal(m): 10:23pm On May 07, 2011
It is actually very similar. The Binis do not dance in exaggerated animated steps.They always keep their feet on the ground and stand erect while dancing. But then again ,this part of Yorubaland is a blend of Bini and Yoruba cultures. That is why they dance regally.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by OAM4J: 10:31pm On May 07, 2011
Interesting
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 07, 2011
Chyz*:

The Owo yorubas were conquered by the Benin kingdom. So what you're seeing is more of Bini influence rather than Bini/Yoruba similarities.

Interesting, most South Nigerian states were conquered by Benin Kingdom, yet the Yorubas still retained those Bini cultural value.

From what I'm seeing, as a Yoruba woman, I actually love the influence.

bokohalal:

It is actually very similar. The Binis do not dance in exaggerated animated steps.They always keep their feet on the ground and stand erect while dancing. But then again ,this part of Yorubaland is a blend of Bini and Yoruba cultures. That is why they dance regally.  

LOL No wonder there's no body movement. un-acculturated Yorubas would have dropped it like it's hot.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 07, 2011
More similarities.

BTW, I couldnt understand this Yoruba Owo (Ondo) dialect. Love it tho kiss kiss

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc9T3PD-YIs?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Chyz2: 10:44pm On May 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Interesting, most South Nigerian states were conquered by Benin Kingdom, yet the Yorubas still retained those Bini cultural value.

From what I'm seeing, as a Yoruba woman,  I actually love the influence.

Yea, I wonder what was their exact methods of conquering those groups. Even up till now those groups still appreciate them. My on Ukwuani came under the Bini conquest as well and they still retain some of their(bini) cultural influence as well. That video is very beautiful.I wish I could see it in person.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 07, 2011
Chyz*:

Yea, I wonder what was their exact methods of conquering those groups. Even up till now those groups still appreciate them. My on Ukwuani came under the Bini conquest as well and they still retain some of their(bini) cultural influence as well. That video is very beautiful.I wish I could see it in person.

I'm still trying to understand how such a vibrant and powerful empire because a minority.

Binis [i]should [/i]be one of the largest ethnicity in Nigeria, if I get my history right.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 07, 2011
Yo, she cant sing. But one can clearly see the Bini culture.

Plz, if you want to enjoy, put on mute.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l-FwFNuNTM?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

Is she even Yoruba? Maybe a Bini woman with Yoruba name BECAUSE her Yoruba is kinda hard to understand. They say their "R" like Lagosians and some of the words are slightly different. Either Bini or an unknown Yoruba dialect.

A comment from Youtube:

Well, this is almost like Edo music! The cross-currents that ran from the Benin Kingdom and the Yoruba states of Ondo, Owo, Ekiti and Ijebu must have been remarkably strong; even now to listen to any of those dialects is to hear echoes of Bini. I am not saying that such cross-currents flowed from one master-source only, my point is that there must have been a heavy traffic of influence both ways. Incidentally, the Ijebu dialect and both Urhobo and Itshekiri also share a lot in common.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by bokohalal(m): 11:35pm On May 07, 2011
Very nice music,dance and costume. I can see Usen people in Edo state also.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by bokohalal(m): 11:40pm On May 07, 2011
Lol. Em,I meant the previous video.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 07, 2011
^^^ which video?

Three has been posted. Are you Yoruba or Bini or none?
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by bokohalal(m): 11:49pm On May 07, 2011
Second video.

I am Bini with with a dab of Yoruba and a Yoruba first name.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 07, 2011
bokohalal:

Second video.

I am Bini with with a dab of Yoruba and a Yoruba first name.

Cool.

Be back on this thread in 2 hrs time, gotta lot of questions to ask.

Going out. see you in 2 hrs time if you're still here.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 07, 2011
And yea, the second video is awesome.

You can glimpse a bit of that in some Ekiti villages too. I remember those beads and hair beads and attire from my childhood days.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by ezeagu(m): 6:26pm On May 08, 2011
They only migrated into most of the areas around them, like in their eastern part, and they usually were swallowed up or diluted by the natives. The one thing that kept their culture alive in these areas is the Bini political system the states adopted.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by bokohalal(m): 10:08pm On May 08, 2011
ezeagu:

They only migrated into most of the areas around them, like in their eastern part, and they usually were swallowed up or diluted by the natives. The one thing that kept their culture alive in these areas is the Bini political system the states adopted.
I am not getting something.If they were swallowed up or diluted how did the culture survive in the  natives?
You will agree with me that your statement is contradictory.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by ezeagu(m): 10:05pm On May 09, 2011
bokohalal:

I am not getting something.If they were swallowed up or diluted how did the culture survive in the  natives?
You will agree with me that your statement is contradictory.

I meant to say parts of their culture like monarchy, many of them were swallowed up by other groups but parts of their culture still survived. For example Agbor people dance nothing like how Bini people dance.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by lakal(m): 5:27am On May 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yo, she cant sing. But one can clearly see the Bini culture.

Plz, if you want to enjoy, put on mute.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l-FwFNuNTM?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

Is she even Yoruba? Maybe a Bini woman with Yoruba name BECAUSE her Yoruba is kinda hard to understand. They say their "R" like Lagosians and some of the words are slightly different. Either Bini or an unknown Yoruba dialect.

Bini ke? This is Idanre dialect from Ondo State, very similar to Ondo/Ile Oluji dialect.

This whole "Bini acculturation" is overrated. Sometimes you're just seeing the similarities between different cultures. Yoruba music and dance varies greatly among the many different Yoruba groups.

3 Likes

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Olumogun: 12:40pm On May 12, 2011
separating YORUBA cultures from those of Bini is like fighting against similarities that exists between family

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by tpia5: 8:32pm On May 12, 2011
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by tpia5: 11:28pm On May 12, 2011
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 6:53am On May 13, 2011
lakal:

Bini ke? This is Idanre dialect from Ondo State, very similar to Ondo/Ile Oluji dialect.

This whole "Bini acculturation" is overrated. Sometimes you're just seeing the similarities between different cultures. Yoruba music and dance varies greatly among the many different Yoruba groups.

Nobody said it was Bini, but SIMILAR to Bini.
Idanre ppl/ Edo peeps share some similar traditions.

Olumogun:

separating YORUBA cultures from those of Bini is like fighting against similarities that exists between family

True.

There's a time for Hausa and Yoruba similarities, that time is not now. It's the Bini/Yoruba similarities showcase.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 6:56am On May 13, 2011
More similarities

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 7:00am On May 13, 2011

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 7:03am On May 13, 2011
Obitun Dancers from Ondo-Ekimogun Kingdom

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 7:09am On May 13, 2011

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Oba234: 3:03am On May 15, 2011
I am from Ondo state, Akoko specifically and the yorubas from Ondo state generally tend to have a large Edo influence since Edo is their next door neighbor.
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by lakal(m): 8:36pm On May 15, 2011
Traditional music from Ondo Town --

Mo duo t'o Oloun

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDxrRvN6qjM[/flash]

Aye Ma San

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQs6inaugg[/flash]
Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Rgp92: 9:37pm On May 15, 2011
I once thought Owo and Edo people were the same tongue, then i found out that Owo people are part of Yoruba. tongue

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers by Nobody: 11:27pm On May 15, 2011
@lakal

Thanks for the video, been looking for them.

Cheeii, in the first video, I sense Ekiti/Ondo Dialect. Sounds different. wow.

What does "tegele" mean?

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Emirati Singing Yoruba Praise And Worship In His Shop In Dubai. / “Marriage Not On My Mind”, Ooni Of Ife Debunks Rumour Of Marrying Tope Adesegun / Yorubas Are Moors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.