Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

The Believers Identity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Believers Identity (636 Views)

⚫⚫God Forgives Sins We Will Ever Do Throughout The Believers Eternity / 'Laughing' Church Banner In Calabar By Believers' Right Ministry (Photo) / Nigerian Mega-rich Pastors Living In Million Pound Homes Prey On Believers - UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 6:40am On Jun 28, 2021
THE BELIEVERS IDENTITY

John.13.35 - By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

How would the world know that we are Children of God? Is it through signs and wonders? Although that's a way also, but don't forget the devil also does signs and wonders. Matt24:11.

The major way the world would know that we are God's Children is our Love walk. The devil and his Children can't love. They can pretend to, but they just can't. And even when they do, its for their selfish interests. because love is God.1John4:8.

It's selfishness to love only those that love us. We are to love everyone with wisdom of cos. If it is conditional, or has a price tag, it is not love. The proof of love is the sacrifice you make 1 John3:18.
Re: The Believers Identity by Myer(m): 7:08am On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
THE BELIEVERS IDENTITY

John.13.35 - By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

How would the world know that we are Children of God? Is it through signs and wonders? Although that's a way also, but don't forget the devil also does signs and wonders. Matt24:11.

The major way the world would know that we are God's Children is our Love walk. The devil and his Children can't love. They can pretend to, but they just can't. And even when they do, its for their selfish interests. because love is God.1John4:8.

It's selfishness to love only those that love us. We are to love everyone with wisdom of cos. If it is conditional, or has a price tag, it is not love. The proof of love is the sacrifice you make 1 John3:18.

As a Christian, the bible teaches that Love is conditional.
God loves man conditionally.
Either you obey his commands or he simply chooses to love you as predestined by Him.
God hates too. As the bible says, God loved Jacob but hated Esau.
Though there are no sure conditions we can really standardize. When Moses asked God to distinguish between the Israelites and the rest of the world, God simply replied that he would have compassion on whom he pleases.

But truly as you have pointed out, genuine and unconditional love makes you trust someone and breaks the person's distrust.

The question is how do you distinguish between those who genuinely love you and pretenders?

At the end of the day, you can only play your part by loving others genuinely but also safe-guarding yourself from pretenders.

1 Like

Re: The Believers Identity by budaatum: 4:12pm On Jun 28, 2021
Myer:

And yet, Oh, when the rain fall, fall, fall now,
It don't fall on one man's housetop.
Remember that:
When the rain fall,
It don't fall on one man's housetop

Experience has shown that God loves unconditionally just as we are also taught to unconditionally love our enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZp-LLfDSc4

1 Like

Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 4:33pm On Jun 28, 2021
Myer:

Either you obey his commands or he simply chooses to love you as predestined by Him.
God hates too. As the bible says, God loved Jacob but hated Esau.
Though there are no sure conditions we can really standardize. When Moses asked God to distinguish between the Israelites and the rest of the world, God simply replied that he would have compassion on whom he pleases.

But truly as you have pointed out, genuine and unconditional love makes you trust someone and breaks the person's distrust.

The question is how do you distinguish between those who genuinely love you and pretenders?

At the end of the day, you can only play your part by loving others genuinely but also safe-guarding yourself from pretenders.
1. Can we at least start with pointing out exactly where the Bible teaches you that Love is unconditional. undecided

2. In Jeremiah 17 vs 5, God declared cursed any man who puts his trust in another man(including self) , and by that your definition of genuine unconditional for man implies those who genuinely love you are those cursed by God. undecided

3. The love God has called us to is not according to your definition though. It is instead a kind born of trust in the Almighty. undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 5:10pm On Jun 28, 2021
budaatum:

Remember that:
When the rain fall,

Experience has shown that God loves unconditionally just as we are also taught to unconditionally love our enemies.

very good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 5:12pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Can we at least start with pointing out exactly where the Bible teaches you that Love is unconditional. undecided

2. In Jeremiah 17 vs 5, God declared cursed any man who puts his trust in another man(including self) , and by that your definition of genuine unconditional for man implies those who genuinely love you are those cursed by God. undecided

3. The love God has called us to is not according to your definition though. It is instead a kind born of trust in the Almighty. undecided
please sir you questions seems confusing.
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 5:14pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
Where does the Bible teach you that love is unconditional. undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by budaatum: 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Where does the Bible teach you that love is unconditional. undecided

Love your enemy is unconditional, or you would expect to get something back in return.

If one sheep goes astray is unconditional, or you'd let the astray sheep meet the condition of its straying.

Turn the other cheek is unconditional, or you will condition a slap gor a slap and not give your shirt to those who take your coat.

Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 5:28pm On Jun 28, 2021
[quote author=Myer post=103155327][/quote]you have to understand the difference between the old covenant and the new covenant. The old covenant was based on work's and law's. Do good and get good, do bad and get bad, eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. You had to win God over by doing his status why? Because there was no grace then. So you cannot be saved then without keeping and following the law of moses.

Now concerning Esau, you have to understand that that was also in the old testament. Now Esau was such a bad boy then. He sold his birthright for as little as a plate of porridge. Knowing fully well what that entails. He further upset his parents by marrying a strange woman. Men that guy was foolish. Before God would say he hate someone, then know that person is so foolish. He didn't hate him as a person, he was disgusted by his character

Now in the new covenant, cos God is a God of love, salvation is available to all. John 3:16. The old was to give birth to the new.

God the father loves the world, and he has proved it by giving his son. He has nothing to prove again.

Now love is not selfish, we should love people no matter what. But we should know when our love and simplicity is been taken for granted. When people are trying to manipulate and use us. Look at Jesus, there were times he was so soft, and there were times he was tough and firm
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 5:32pm On Jun 28, 2021
budaatum:

Love your enemy is unconditional, or you would expect to get something back in return.

If one sheep goes astray is unconditional, or you'd let the astray sheep meet the condition of its straying.

Turn the other cheek is unconditional, or you will condition a slap gor a slap and not give your shirt to those who take your coat.
This is my mistake.. Does the Bible indeed tell you that Love is unconditional or do you assume it to be so from your interpretation of that which is written? undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
You are right.. it is indeed confusing.

So, instead I ask this. Does the Bible indeed tell you that Love is unconditional or do you assume it to be so from your interpretation of that which is written? undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 5:36pm On Jun 28, 2021
tongue
Kobojunkie:
You are right.. it is indeed confusing.

So, instead I ask this. Does the Bible indeed tell you that Love is unconditional or do you assume it to be so from your interpretation of that which is written? undecided
And this is what my bible say's

Rom.5.6 - For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom.5.7 - For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

Rom.5.8 - But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
:PAnd this is what my bible say's

Rom.5.6 - For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom.5.7 - For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

[color=#000000][/color]Rom.5.8 - But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Remember, we are looking here for reference to, not just love, but unconditional love? undecided

Jesus Christ's death for the sinners is conditioned in their believing in Him. In fact, in John 15 vs 13 -14, Jesus Christ states that His died for His friends- those who do what He commands them to do
Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 5:42pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Remember, we are looking here for reference to, not just love, but unconditional love? undecided
doesn't the phrase 'ungodly' or 'sinner' connotes ant thing to you?
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
doesn't the phrase 'ungodly' or 'sinner' connotes any meaning to you
I know what it means but it certainly has nothing to do with the word "unconditional" for me. So you have to explain to me how it resolves to that. undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 5:49pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Jesus Christ's death for the sinners is conditioned in their believing in Him. In fact, in John 15 vs 13 -14, Jesus Christ states that His died for His friends- those who do what He commands them to do
now I know your interest is twisting Scriptures. Your seeing the truth of God's word but your chose to be blind. So you mean Jesus died for already righteous people? How dare you say Christ death is conditioned on the people believing him? Did he die for us before we believe? Please study the scriptures properly.
Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 5:51pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I know what it means but it certainly has nothing to do with the word "unconditional" for me. So you have to explain to me how it resolves to that. undecided
am not explaining anything, pls go and check your dictionary or concordance. thank you
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 5:56pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
now I know your interest is twisting Scriptures. Your seeing the truth of God's word but your chose to be blind. So you mean Jesus died for already righteous people? How dare you say Christ death is conditioned on the people believing him? Did he die for us before we believe? Please study the scriptures properly.
1. I am sorry, did Jesus Christ, say in John 15 vs 13-14, that He died for already righteous people? Is that your special interpretation of wha t is written in that text? undecided

2. According to Jesus Christ, only those who believe in Him will be saved John 3 vs 16 -21. Or is this no longer true? undecided

3. Did Jesus die for us before we believe? I don't understand this question.. undecided

Try to avoid injecting your own fears and delusions into any of what I type abeg! undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
am not explaining anything, pls go and check your dictionary or concordance. thank you
A dictionary or concordance can link the words "sinner" and "unconditional" in this? undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Myer(m): 7:24pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Do you put your trust in Jesus Christ?
Simple answer, yes or no?
Jesus Christ was man and declared himself as son of man.
Re: The Believers Identity by Myer(m): 8:06pm On Jun 28, 2021
budaatum:

Remember that:
When the rain fall,

What do you understand by Romans 9:15

For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”
Re: The Believers Identity by Myer(m): 8:09pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
you have to understand the difference between the old covenant and the new covenant. The old covenant was based on work's and law's. Do good and get good, do bad and get bad, eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. You had to win God over by doing his status why? Because there was no grace then. So you cannot be saved then without keeping and following the law of moses.

Now concerning Esau, you have to understand that that was also in the old testament. Now Esau was such a bad boy then. He sold his birthright for as little as a plate of porridge. Knowing fully well what that entails. He further upset his parents by marrying a strange woman. Men that guy was foolish. Before God would say he hate someone, then know that person is so foolish. He didn't hate him as a person, he was disgusted by his character

Now in the new covenant, cos God is a God of love, salvation is available to all. John 3:16. The old was to give birth to the new.

God the father loves the world, and he has proved it by giving his son. He has nothing to prove again.

Now love is not selfish, we should love people no matter what. But we should know when our love and simplicity is been taken for granted. When people are trying to manipulate and use us. Look at Jesus, there were times he was so soft, and there were times he was tough and firm

There wasn't Grace in the old testament?
Really?
Explain the story of Abraham, Jacob, David, Ruth, just to name few.
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Jun 28, 2021
Myer:

Do you put your trust in Jesus Christ?
Simple answer, yes or no?
Jesus Christ was man and declared himself as son of man.
Ofcourse!

Jesus Christ is God's Law in the Kingdom of God. God's Word and Truth come down to man. if you don't trust/submit and obey His teachings, you are against Him and against God's Law. undecided

So, where does your idea of unconditional love come from in the Bible? undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Myer(m): 8:13pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:

You must have been taught that God's love is unconditional by your Sunday school teacher cos it's definitely not in the bible.
Re: The Believers Identity by Myer(m): 8:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Ofcourse!

Jesus Christ is God's Law in the Kingdom of God. God's Word and Truth come down to man. if you don't trust/submit and obey His teachings, you are against Him and against God's Law. undecided

So, where does your idea of unconditional love come from in the Bible? undecided

When did I mention God's love is unconditional.
From the bible it's obvious that God;s love is conditional.
However the condition varies.
God chose to Love Jacob and Hate Esau even whilst they were yet unborn.
God told Moses he would have mercy and compassion on whoever he pleases. Meaning he doesn't love everyone but according to his choice.
In the old testament, God loved only the Israelites and damned the rest of the world.
Even among the Israelites, God loves those who obey him and hates those who disobey his commands. Deut 30
In the new testament God loves those who follow him and calls those who do not follow him Dead.

From the above, God's love is conditional.
You can prove me wrong if you can simply state the scripture where the God says his love is unconditional.
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Jun 28, 2021
Myer:

When did I mention God's love is unconditional.
From the bible it's obvious that God;s love is conditional.
However the condition varies.
God chose to Love Jacob and Hate Esau even whilst they were yet unborn.
God told Moses he would have mercy and compassion on whoever he pleases. Meaning he doesn't love everyone but according to his choice.
In the old testament, God loved only the Israelites and damned the rest of the world.
Even among the Israelites, God loves those who obey him and hates those who disobey his commands. Deut 30
In the new testament God loves those who follow him and calls those who do not follow him Dead.

From the above, God's love is conditional.
You can prove me wrong if you can simply state the scripture where the God says his love is unconditional.
1. Your original statement was that the Bible teaches that love is unconditional. undecided

Your examples,however, reveal that God's love is conditional, not unconditional. So are we to throw our the original claim that the bible teaches that love is unconditional? undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Jun 28, 2021
Myer:
You must have been taught that God's love is unconditional by your Sunday school teacher cos it's definitely not in the bible.
So, we agree that unconditional love is a human delusion then. Good! grin
Re: The Believers Identity by Dangerousboy(m): 8:50pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
it's not on my post you guy's will form an alliance and agree on unscriptural truth. God bless you.
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 8:55pm On Jun 28, 2021
Dangerousboy:
it's not on my post you guy's will form an alliance and agree on unscriptural truth. God bless you.
Unscriptural truth or simply that which you are obviously tol terrified to acknowledging the Truth of, even when it could save your very soul from eternal damnation? undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by Myer(m): 8:55pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Exactly why I was wondering where you got the notion that I said God's love was unconditional.

All over the bible God's love is conditional.
Re: The Believers Identity by Kobojunkie: 8:57pm On Jun 28, 2021
Myer:

Exactly why I was wondering where you got the notion that I said God's love was unconditional.

All over the bible God's love is conditional.
I apologize! My mistake! undecided
Re: The Believers Identity by budaatum: 9:16pm On Jun 28, 2021
Myer:

What do you understand by Romans 9:15

For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

God will decide whom to have mercy on or whom not have mercy on.

"It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy".

You should see how it connects to the [url=https://classic.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+18%3A9-14&version=NLT]Parable of Hubris[/url], which Romans 9:15 is to teach us not to commit.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Atheist Here? / End Of Month Giveaway. Winner Gets £10/₦7,700 CLOSED!! / The Name 'JESUS'...must Read For Non-christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.