Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,682 members, 7,805,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (30650 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by KAHBOOM: 7:25am On Jul 01, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:
Yoruba's were really civilzed and sophisticated those days.. They discovered dildoo.Look carefully at this statues left hand and see valid proof cheesy

Hahahahaha grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 1:23pm On Jul 01, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:
Yeah

Covered up 700,1000 years ago like this women here.I believe u
Your picture shows those people as having clothes.

You’re only raving mad because they chose to do as they please with their bodies.

Unlike the Igbo savages attached below who are just slowly coming to the knowledge of cloth in the 1900s.

LWKMD! grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by CovenHighPriest: 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2021
rhektor:

When did I mention OP? does one of you imply the OP? Get sense please

Check out page one and see one Fahdiga1

One of me grin like I even know the guy, continue the bashing if it's what give you joy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by CovenHighPriest: 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2021
wizzakosh:
Ask your stupid brother that called yorubas to the thread in order for you people to feel important.

Oya make yourself more important and be happy smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2021
gomojam:
Lol. Igbo have bitten more than they can chew this time.
Shut up and show respect to the Igbos. They were civilized before us

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by rhektor(m): 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2021
CovenHighPriest:

One of me grin like I even know the guy, continue the bashing if it's what give you joy

That's not bashing, if you don't understand how "you" in that context is used then go back to primary school

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 01, 2021
Fahdiga1:
Shut up and show respect to the Igbos. They were civilized before us
Tao11, one olodo dey shout for corner here. grin

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 7:35pm On Jul 01, 2021
gomojam:
Tao11, one olodo dey shout for corner here. grin
He agrees with us (unknowingly) for the very fact that he publicly dissociated himself from his Igbo ethnicity.

So, the argument ended against him even before it began. There is therefore no point engaging him.

cheesy

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 01, 2021
TAO11:
He agrees with us (unknowingly) for the very fact that he publicly dissociated himself from his own Igbo ethnic group.

So, the argument ended against him even before it begins. There is therefore no point engaging him.

cheesy

Tao, how can one win against you? grin

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 7:37pm On Jul 01, 2021
gomojam:
Lol.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by rhektor(m): 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2021
gomojam:

By speaking the truth grin

6 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:21am On Jul 11, 2021
Igbos have a rich history of communication.

I believe that Igboland stretching to Central Africa were the origin of many ancient African scripts.

The most popular of them is Nsibiri which is believed to have originated from the Ejagham group. Igbo sub-groups popularised this script throughout the eastern region and beyond and introduced it to various cross-river groups.

Even today, Igbos are the dominant force in popularising Nsibiri globally and adapting it for modern use in the Igbo language.

Below are various Igbo ideographic texts such as Ogbo obodo, 'Yam marks', Uri, Nsibiri(believed to have been adapted from Ejagham). In the absence of papyrus or parchment for paper, Igbos drew on split palm stems, which one would assume were dried. Other than that, you could see these symbols everywhere including walls , doors and people's bodies.

As we can see , all these systems of communication are very similar to each other and are more than likely the derivative of a far more ancient and/ or half-forgotten language.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by temitope27(m): 6:36am On Jul 11, 2021
Fahdiga1:
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but my great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then told me the truth that the Igbos were the first civilized black race in the world. That they helped bring civilization to our Yoruba land. I keep wondering how the Igbos were to be exposed so early more than us the Yorubas
you are talking nonsense, there was a time Yoruba's has been wearing nice clothes,but igbos still move around naked

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:44am On Dec 02, 2021
More Igbo houses and architecture

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:44am On Dec 02, 2021
More...

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:14am On Dec 31, 2021
The pride of every family in the olden day was the strength of their yam barns.

Unlike in feudal societies, the produce of every Igbo farmland was to enrich their families and communities and not just a small few.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:16am On Dec 31, 2021
Most Igbos used stools, I believe, and not backed chairs. (excluding 'sofa-like' furniture present in some Igbo homes) This type of furniture would have been used predominantly by the older population, I think.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:17am On Dec 31, 2021
A collection of arrow types from across Africa. The Igbo specimen is the one at the bottom. (76C)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:21am On Dec 31, 2021
A machete, more than likely for cutting grass and vegetation.

Although Nollywood would have us believe that most Igbos were rushing into battle wielding machetes, It is likely that the weapon of choice would have been predominantly javelins and shields. With daggers and more slender swords used as secondary weapons.

Archery would have been extremely important, especially in a forested region like most of Igboland, but not as great in close combat.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:24am On Dec 31, 2021
Some more battle-like scenes.

Igbo shields were historically made of wicker and not metal. Imagine holding a heavy metal shield in the hot sun.

Also, It did make it much easier to disarm an opponent if their weapon got stuck on one of the grooves of your shield.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:25am On Dec 31, 2021
Some more tobacco pipes...

A pastime of much of the populace

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:26am On Dec 31, 2021
Knives, kitchenry set

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:28am On Dec 31, 2021
When many people think of fishing, they think of the stereotypical line and hook.

While historically, Igbos did use this. They mostly employed ingenious use of platforms, pulleys, and elaborate traps to fish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:32am On Dec 31, 2021
Various market scenes in Igboland. Markets were literally big business in Igboland and were governed by strict laws and economic guidelines.It would take an entirely new thread just to talk about the intricacies and history surrounding markets in Igboland.

The pictures show markets dealing in food produce, palm oil and metal works.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:33am On Dec 31, 2021
Musical instruments

Igbos really loved thumb pianos...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:35am On Dec 31, 2021
Basic mirrors

If you study Igbo pieces, you do notice that handmirrors can can get rather elaborate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:36am On Dec 31, 2021
Ordinary hanging lamps

To hang around the house...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:37am On Dec 31, 2021
Common scarves...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:40am On Dec 31, 2021
Much like the people of the orient, Igbos loved their carpets and matting, and you could see these artistic pieces across an Igbo house.

They used matting to cover the floor, furniture or even hang on walls.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (28) (Reply)

Girl Without Limbs Receives Help From Kano State Government. Photos / New Photos Of Yahaya Bello In Germany / Pres.GEJ And Patience Jonathan Hit The Gym Ahead Of Abuja Jogging Today(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.