Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned (41023 Views)

Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / "Why I Resigned From N-Power": My Story and the Lessons (Photo) / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by olurili(m): 11:20am On Jun 29, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:
Nigerian employers are wicked. They treat you like trash but the moment you want to help them take out the trash, they start fighting your exit.

Which means they know your value but are trying to paint you bad so you keep believing that you aren't good enough.

If you've worked in a multinational corporation, you will understand that 80% of them have nothing upstairs. All they do is wear clothes and sleep around.

If you know your worth, dump your evil employer once you get a job offer and never look back. Bastards.

..............................................................................................
As for the OP, dump that useless lawyer. He is there to milk you dry.
Write a petition to the ministry of labour, copy EFCC, FIRS, PENCOM & crazy NGOs. Highlight how your former employer duped you for 5 years, show evidence of pension remittance (which is a grave offence), delayed salaries, show all the financial misappropriations they have committed.

Watch them backtrack. The fire those thieving organizations will put on their ass, they won't even remember you.

Lastly, play dirty. Take their names & pictures to social media with screenshots. Names of company, MD, Directors involved etc. Shake them!! They have more to lose.

Most of them are claiming deacons in their churches and forming leaders in their residential estates. Behave like a sokoloan agent with their integrity or you can sit there & continue to wallow in self pity.
if you want to do this,i can be of help,i know how to treat criminal in the language they understand....obams clothing just thank your creator that you dont reply my mention the other day,if you reply that day,by now you will be in shock and depression
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by DrKinggi: 11:22am On Jun 29, 2021
Hello �‍♂️�‍♂️ your brother didn't have to go through all this mess if he had a good counsel. What they wanted was that he resign well giving a month notice. So cut the lawyer crap let him resume work, write the company he was away because of a critical family issue or health. Let him resume then submit a resignation letter and work a month get paid and move
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Fastlinkpro: 11:23am On Jun 29, 2021
did he not resign with notice ?
normally 1 or 2 moth notice depending on company.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by PROPEACE: 11:24am On Jun 29, 2021
toffyz:
OP, you're still not telling us some vital information pertaining to this issue

The company wants compensation from him, money-wise after fulfilling their own obligations (Paid 4 months owed salary and Pension of almost 2years) all within a week.

Common OP, let your brother too fulfill his own contract. Because he must have signed a contract with them to be a worker in that company for a stipulated period.
They refused to remit his pension for 1year and six months and held back his salary for four months, then they paid everything a week after he resigned? Who does that? If the bolded is not enough to trigger a resignation what is? What the hell are they even suing for? But you call it 'a fulfilment of their obligations?' Na wa for you o! So if it is you, you mean you will justify the company's action?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by BarrElChapo(m): 11:27am On Jun 29, 2021
Speeddial:
I am writing this because I feel the management of this company is a group of people who do not want its workers to succeed.

My brother worked for this company for about 5 years, and within these 5 years, salary has never been consistent.

At times they may even stay up to six months before they pay one month

Even when his wife gave birth he met with them and asked them to help him with little money to cushion the cost of the hospital bills, but all to no avail.

Not only the fact that they were not paying salaries, but they were not also remitting his pensions.

You know what that means, these pensions are supposed to be paid on time to enable them to compound in interest.

Before he resigned they were owing to him four months' salary.

He was willing to let it go

So he left without getting paid

As soon as he left it wasn't even up to a week they paid him four months salary at once

After they paid him the salary they sent him a letter that he should come and pay them some money as a sort of compensation to them.

When my brother talked about the fact that they also owe him a pension, it didn't take them a week to remit pension of over 1 year 6 months

So they took him to court, ever since then my brother has been paying a lawyer who has been demanding money-wise.

This is a company that will sack its workers without any sort of compensation.

I feel they are doing this just to create fear in the mind of all the workers in the company so they can also tread with caution, but the effect of their decision is telling on my brother.

Right now he is not concentrating and he is spending money that he doesn't have.

Some time ago they gave him the training he did online and they claim they sent him to Australia to study.

And thereby he should pay them 2 million as compensation.

Guys please I need your advice and how he could handle this case very well.

He should sack his lawyer and probably get another. What are they suing him for exactly.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Xfemt(m): 11:30am On Jun 29, 2021
quentin06:

The company sent the guy for training overseas, I am sure there was a bond agreement between the company and the guy.
it doesn’t matter
In as much they defaults in salary payment and holding his pension several times with prove I think he has a case
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Speeddial(m): 11:32am On Jun 29, 2021
quentin06:

The company sent the guy for training overseas, I am sure there was a bond agreement between the company and the guy.

It was an online training.

They only sent him a PDF to read

And after that he was given an exam online.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Osesedney: 11:35am On Jun 29, 2021
I m not a professional... But your brother would have done his research very well and then tender his resignation within the binding agreement of his contract or terms of employment...
And hope he resigned officially...
And didnt not just say with mouth i quit...
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by GerogeI(m): 11:39am On Jun 29, 2021
Just use the bank alert for the payment to show that the company broke the contract first by not providing compensation for work done for over 6 month. Get bank account statements to show the in frequency of salary.

You the pension payment notification to show the company was stealing from him. Go get a remittance history letter from his Pension managers.

Those two already broke the employment contract.
Tell him to represent himself. Tell the judge he can't afford a lawyer or use Giv. Provided lawyer. The case is simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by gbengaadeleye12: 11:42am On Jun 29, 2021
I think your brother should negotiate with them
Speeddial:
I am writing this because I feel the management of this company is a group of people who do not want its workers to succeed.

My brother worked for this company for about 5 years, and within these 5 years, salary has never been consistent.

Even when his wife gave birth he met with them and asked them to help him with little money to cushion the cost of the hospital bills, but all to no avail.

Not only the fact that they were not paying salaries, but they were not also remitting his pensions.

You know what that means, these pensions are supposed to be paid on time to enable them to compound in interest.

As soon as he left it wasn't even up to a week they paid him four months salary at once

After they paid him the salary they sent him a letter that he should come and pay them some money as a sort of compensation to them.

When my brother talked about the fact that they also owe him a pension, it didn't take them a week to remit pension of over 1 year 6 months

So they took him to court, ever since then my brother has been paying a lawyer who has been demanding money-wise.

I feel they are doing this just to create fear in the mind of all the workers in the company so they can also tread with caution, but the effect of their decision is telling on my brother.

Right now he is not concentrating and he is spending money that he doesn't have.

Some time ago they gave him the training he did online and they claim they sent him to Australia to study.

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Dumas32(m): 11:48am On Jun 29, 2021
southniyikaye:
They are only intimidating their ASSET..
But since your brother signed a contract, there is little to none he can do..
And if he eventually goes back to that company to finish is signed term, dem go over use am like rain water
And he will work like someone that wants to be fired.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by stevenosa(m): 11:54am On Jun 29, 2021
Speeddial:

It is like you have just told us a Super Story without a title. Why are you afraid to NAME this COMPANY? Call the COMPANY out on various online platform, including TWITTER, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, etc, and God will bless you.

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Nobody: 11:56am On Jun 29, 2021
Xfemt:
it doesn’t matter
In as much they defaults in salary payment and holding his pension several times with prove I think he has a case

With a good lawyer and facts hevcan win the case.
It pays to read the fine print, there are implied agreements to this kind of online thing.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by winner37(m): 12:00pm On Jun 29, 2021
God will help him out
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Touchfarm: 12:02pm On Jun 29, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:
Nigerian employers are wicked. They treat you like trash but the moment you want to help them take out the trash, they start fighting your exit.

Which means they know your value but are trying to paint you bad so you keep believing that you aren't good enough.

If you've worked in a multinational corporation, you will understand that 80% of them have nothing upstairs. All they do is wear clothes and sleep around.

If you know your worth, dump your evil employer once you get a job offer and never look back. Bastards.

..............................................................................................
Write a petition to the ministry of labour, copy EFCC, FIRS, PENCOM & crazy NGOs. Highlight how your former employer duped you for 5 years, show evidence of pension remittance (which is a grave offence), delayed salaries, show all the financial misappropriations they have committed.

Watch them backtrack. The fire those thieving organizations will put on their ass, they won't even remember you.

Lastly, play dirty. Take their names & pictures to social media with screenshots. Names of company, MD, Directors involved etc. Shake them!! They have more to lose.

Most of them are claiming deacons in their churches and forming leaders in their residential estates. Behave like a sokoloan agent with their integrity or you can sit there & continue to wallow in self pity.

@op please listen to the above suggestion and ask your brother to fight dirty.

I once did this to one of the commercial banks in nigeria and within an hour, I got a call from the branch manger assuring me my case will be resolved the next day.

I did an inter bank transfer and despite with evidence that money was debited from my account, they we're telling me they can't credit the person I sent money to,, that they can't find details of the transaction.

After threatening to post my ordeal on all social media platform, they reversed my money within 30 minutes. Meanwhile, have been visiting the branch and calling the head office for almost a month on the issue
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Psoul(m): 12:06pm On Jun 29, 2021
Speeddial:

Let me start from this angle.
It is not good to abandon your job. It can come back to haunt u in the future.
I am not talking about this wicked company.

What I am saying is that you future employee may be contacted by ur last place of employment and they will report u to ur new employer that you ran away from your duty. Your new employer may tend to believe you will still do same to him and deny you the opportunity.

Then on the main issue of the company dragging your brother to court.
This should even be the other way round.
It seems your brother is not smart enough.
How can he have so much evidence that will get him enough money from the company and still be there while the company kept intimidating him.
He should wise up pls. Contact a very good lawyer. Narrate to him all that has happened. Promise him a percentage from the money he will make from the company at the end of the case. He should not use cheap lawyer cos this company can still go to such cheap lawyer and bribe him to help frustrate your brother. He should look for a good lawyer that want to create a good profile for him/herself.

He should ask questions. I hate it when ppl kill a good opportunity that is in their hands.
Let him make money from this company. He can if he is wise.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Psoul(m): 12:08pm On Jun 29, 2021
Asquare84:
did your brother sign any agreement with the company to work with them for a stipulated time, if not, the company can not do anything.

Even if there is such and agreement, you cannot continue with such an agreement if it is no longer conducive for you as they are not paying salaries as and wen due. Pension not remitted.

The company should even be pleading for leniency.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by esthel(f): 12:10pm On Jun 29, 2021
Contracts can be terminated, they breached the terms of the contract the moment they started owing salaries and refuses to remit the pension.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by xtervaganza(m): 12:12pm On Jun 29, 2021
His best bet is to run to social media .name and shame them. They want to kill him
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Psoul(m): 12:14pm On Jun 29, 2021
DuduParaPara:
Heartless people.

However if a contract was signed he has to abide by the contract terms.

This issues being raised now should have been raised first before he left

Contracts should be mutually obeyed.

The company was not paying salaries as and when due.
They are not remitting staff pension (This is money a staff contributes for his pension and they also withholds it)
These are breach of contract. SO the company faulted.

Just that the guy is not smart enough, daz why the wicked management is capitalizing on that to drain and frustrate him
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Skyloloprince(m): 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2021
Speeddial:

Contact me let’s respond to the suit

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by Uncleodi(m): 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2021
Chachamiliano:

That is simple nah. He should also sue them. He has evidence of payment made, pension not remitted and other unconventional treatment melted to him. I think he lawyer might not be competent cos organizations don't like going to court. He can even spread it in the newspaper, labor organization, FIRS and watch how they will beg him to settle out of court

Yes...he should also print his bank statements reflecting the payments
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by saintneo(m): 12:37pm On Jun 29, 2021
Speeddial:

What was the agreement for this training to be effected? Did he sign any contract to work for a specific number years based on this training?

These are the pertinent question.

I recall I got a very cunning offer from a company doing the same thing I do in my personal hustle. The advantage of working in the company was increased earnings and more activity because they had a bigger reach and staff. The disadvantage in the offer was that I could not work in a similar industry for at least two years if I resign. This implies that I can't go back to my personal hustle for 2 years - a hustle I am very good at executing. I checked online for loopholes in the offer and i noticed it was tight so I rejected the offer and in my rejection I quoted the Esau and Jacob story, that their offer is like taking away my birthright - the ability to utilise my knowledge.

Few months later I got another offer from another company in the same industry, currently I'm earning over thrice what the first company offered and without unnecessary attachments. Looking forward for more in Jesus name.

What am I saying here? People should checkout for traps by HR in their contract and training contracts before signing off.

BTW I'm an Engineer, but I take time to check legal issues.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by adisabarber(m): 12:45pm On Jun 29, 2021
He should have known that the salary paid after he left was a trap

Speeddial:

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by justmondris: 12:54pm On Jun 29, 2021
Speeddial:

Yes he signed a contract, and he has about 1 or 2 years to stay with them before leaving.

But they were not fulfilling their own part of the contract. And it was really affecting him because he was not able to take care of his family.

If the contract says your brother must work with them for 1 or 2 years before leaving and according to your post, your brother has already worked with them for more than 5 years, that means your brother has already honored the contract.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by leochinonso(m): 1:06pm On Jun 29, 2021
Hello Speeddial,

1. Your brother needs to take a close look at his employment letter to be sure he didn't sign himself into slavery.

2. I hope he resigned officially and according to the company's exit policy. He should ready his resignation letter as evidence.

3. He should not take ANY training (either online or whatever) since he has resigned. This will ensure they do not have anything to hold against him. He should also not be afraid of any payments (Salary / Pension) made in his favor since there will always be time stamp for these payments.

4. Lastly, why is your brother wasting his money hiring a lawyer. He can / should go to one of the Civil rights organizations that offer legal services pro bono. examples include: Office of the public defender (at Surulere). The CLO (civil liberty organization), CDHR (committee for the defense of human rights) to mention but just a few.

5. Advice your lawyer to counter sue them. I am sure they have been making Tax deductions from your gross salary without remitting such to Government. Ask them to produce tax remittances made in your favor.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by InvertedHammer: 1:13pm On Jun 29, 2021
Speeddial:

/
Why is your brother responding to their civil lawsuit in the first place? What is the worst thing that can happen? How can they enforce any judgment against him?

/
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by otipoju(m): 1:16pm On Jun 29, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:

You are absolutely on. No more No less.
Na this kain fight me i dey like.
Fight for personal justice.
Then i send email to those wey dey disturb me and tell them that i have reported them to spiritual authorities and want it in writing so that it can be documented....so that if they start to behave abnormally there will be no doubt that it is me that caused it.
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by SavageResponse(m): 1:33pm On Jun 29, 2021
deluckiest:
He should take it to God spiritually.

They will eventually withdraw the case and apologize to him.

He needs practical solutions not wishful thinking!
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by UD101(m): 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2021
ezugegere:
Did he sign any contract with them? What's contained in the contract?
What's the name of the company? Does your brother have evidence they were always owing him?
Maybe they know your brother is a dull person, hence their actions
he can prove this with his bank statement
Re: My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned by mailemy(m): 2:25pm On Jun 29, 2021
The company broke their own agreement by not paying him his salary as at when due. He can use that against his formal company.
Speeddial:

Yes he signed a contract, and he has about 1 or 2 years to stay with them before leaving.

But they were not fulfilling their own part of the contract. And it was really affecting him because he was not able to take care of his family.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! / 13 High Paying Side Jobs You Can Do / NPA Bans Mini Skirts And Jeans Trousers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.