Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. (71937 Views)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2021
AiSamuel:
Sorry to be too inquisitive, is there any possibility to go for English when i don't have any idea on Literature?

No, either JAMB or PUTME will phase you out. You need Literature in your subject combination for admission procedures. If you don't know Literature or no idea about it, preferably choose Finance (assuming your preferred schools offer it as a stand alone discipline).
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by careidon: 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2021
Op's point is, poor background and some courses....
Let's stay on that premise. Nigeria(ns) is the problem, not any particular course.

But another angle I want us to look at is that most Nigerians don't value and or can't afford the professionals is one of the reasons those professionals are lagging (I didn't say they are not coping o)
The government is the top employer of medical professionals (because setting up a standard private practice is expensive = their salary in dollar terms vs structure & equipments they need dollars to buy is indeed peanuts)
We mostly go to the pharmacy first before visiting the doctor!
So for all the effort involved in their qualifications, how many doctors are at par with our bank owners, Corporate owners or govt contractors?

We stopped valuing teachers like in the 1960-80s (but see where it has gotten us)
How many of us go to architects to design for us?
How many built their homes or other structures using civil engineers?

We impoverish these professionals...

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ibedun: 3:32pm On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:
OP is very correct especially if you look at it from the aspect of fleeing the country after your graduation (which I advise young and ambitious Nigerian youths to do). Except you are very intelligent, young (max 19 years prior to enrolment) and can take advantage of scholarships, you do not have to study certain courses. Nigeria is getting poorer by the day and will become more poor in the next decade and two. As an instance, economic growth of 2010 is what the country is "enjoying" meanwhile, the population has ballooned, resources are more scarce, the major foreign earner now has more sellers and less buyers. Nigeria is not what it was when OP and I were teens, so it is pointless to study certain courses esp if you are from a poor family.

One thing is: do not study five year programs because there would be more strike actions (internal crises too: See Unical and her Engineering and Pharmacy students) than ever before as the country becomes poorer and nears insolvency. So, why spend so much time studying Civil/Mech Engineering when there is Physics? Why do Marine Engineering when you can opt for Mathematics? Some of these courses have restrictions for foreigners when you have japa'd and you will spend a lot trying to regularise. Meanwhile, your school mate who did Math has gotten a job with a tech firm but you are trying to get into the maritime industry in the US. Regarding Law, Nigeria is the last place to study same as the country is lawless. Again, unless you are very intelligent and opt for a federal university, you are better off doing Psychology or English or Chinese Mandarin.

Remember, you are trying to escape poverty not perpetuate it.

As bad as Nigeria is, it will be better than the Nigeria of 2031. Things will get far worse than today. Ten years ago, people could travel across the country with relative ease, today? They dare not. In ten years time, it will be difficult to move around your city easily.

Awful negative mind!!!!

You will commit suicide las las. Werey!

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Malcolm123: 3:33pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Civil engineering what? That's like the most useless engineering course. That and petroleum engineering I don't know which is more useless.

For you to say civil engineering is not lucrative it shows ur IQ level ...or let me say u talk out of ignorance

There is no point dialoguing with u on it....you have little knowledge about engineering practice in nigeria generally i can deduct dat from all the gibberish u have wrote
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Odogwu2023(m): 3:35pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Do we have it in Nigeria? If it merges electrical and computer then all good but mechanical alone as a course of study is useless.
yes,FUTO
by God's grace this yr
I have written jamb ,and scored 200
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Odogwu2023(m): 3:36pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

yes, some notable school offers it. it's relatively new though. i chose uniben precisely.
hi,did you study mechatronics?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Malcolm123: 3:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
Qudus94:

So op you're trying to tell me a physics graduate can effectively calculate and design buildings and roads, bridges and sky rappers. If I didn't do physics in school I'd have believed this shit. How can you say there's no where a civil engineer can work that a physics graduate cannot work? Haba OP it's OK if you say they should do the course but don give them false hopes, stop misleading people

The op is an ignorant person forming scholar.....i pity ppl dat will believ in all the "nonsense" he wrote

Just lyk saying a biologist can do everything a medical doctor can do
Death go plenty for hospital

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Odogwu2023(m): 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

sorry to say, you lack experience alot. what's your joy in instilling fear without an objective fact.
you only posted out of a subjective feelings.
by the way do you know what mechatronics really is?
if on the virtue of 'japa', i'm more versed in that!
i have an handful of friends who av japa to u.s and russia for their undergrads.
moreso, i've personally read and researched alot on this 'japa'. i'm not a tyro!

mechatronics is a top notch, believe it or not. though new in nigeria, highly recongnised overse'.
pls when next you wish to reply me, pls do so with facts and logic. i dislike engaging with emotions and sentiments.

Thank you boss.We do not look at all replies.I just wrote jamb now,scored 200 and by God's grace,FUTO will bow
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Malcolm123: 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2021
cliper230:
I keep telling smart young people . Please don't waste your time on unnecessarily engineering courses. Go study physics or math or csc. Perfect your programming skills.

And who go teach you the programming to perfection....which club or society u go join to meet lyk minds abi you think programing na web design dat one person can design for his room and come out with sth meaningful

Oga CSC is the most useless course because how many places can you do IT in programming for dis naija (abi how many software naija don develop apart from using already done software maybe in networking/web design or marketing which an electrical/electeonics will beat csc hand down easily in such field
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Franklyspeakin: 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2021
My Fresher, I'm a university lecturer of 8yrs now, and about accessing a grant that will take me out of this shit hole.
Just work hard on your grades. Like I always tell my students, not everyone will make it in their chosen field. But being the very best in your field will give you an edge. Keep trying your best. And most importantly hold your God well. Cos sometimes its not by our power. And if you feel my major aim was to be savage then please forgive me. I just like that point he raised about creating a LinkedIn profile and researching your course. Its a practical measure. Nigeria will not swallow us. We will overcome

atom080:

good and fine, you are good at savage right.
pls what cgpa do you graduate with and what course do you study?
if you can't answer me, pls don't border advising me.
i understand ur type
thankiu!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by LordErrk: 3:50pm On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:

You mean like the doctor who was declined a visa because the visa official couldn't believe that a worker can be owed six months salaries? Or foreign certification exams whose fees are dollar dominated while the applicants are paid paltry sums in the devalued naira? Or are those exams written free of charge?

I'll want to know where y'all get so much optimism for Nigeria. It's befuddling!

I am not optimistic about Nigeria. It can never get better. And that's why people should study courses like medicine that can help them leave this cursed country. Yes the international exam is very expensive, but if you save for it, and put your mind to it, you can also leave.
I have many guys that have left through medicine, and by God's grace, me sef will japa through the same medicine
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Emeraldfynest(m): 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2021
Wow, you mean Germany institutions are tuition free, is it for every course? I am an Agric student in my 3rd year.
atom080:

pls do you know what graduate assistance(G.A) Is all abt. pls research it. getting a fully funded phd is easy via G.A.
if ur grade isnt gud enof to get u scholarship or G.A, then go to germany. the tuition is free! for the remaining process? there is a thread for it.
pls mind you, anything below 2.1 can venture into i.t skill or entrepreurship.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by kayode69(m): 4:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
This is misleading. I thought you would mention courses like slt, Anatomy, Biochemistry.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by hakeem4(m): 4:08pm On Jun 30, 2021
Stupid thread
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by abbey621(m): 4:17pm On Jun 30, 2021
All of una dey graduate only to end up spending years looking for a job that pays less than 400k a month. Let this sink in, you live in a country where the amount of graduates per year is 5 times or more the amount of qualified and available jobs. How long will it take for the system to be overwhelmed and unemployment rate to skyrocket?

Your dream of making big money, having a long career etc is just not the reality of the current Nigerian job market. For every 1000 graduates, 800 won't find a suitable job in the first 3 years, 600 will end up settling for business or a less paying job and 100 will end up jaapa to another country. Think about it, learn from those who graudated already, do a feasibility study? What are you changing? Are you just repeating the cycle? As a person from a poor/modest background the worst thing you can do for yourself is not being diverse. Always have a plan B and C because this country has no plan for you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Toay(m): 4:22pm On Jun 30, 2021
The op is absolutely clueless
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by RALPHOW(m): 4:24pm On Jun 30, 2021
ClixMaster:
Whatever you do, I take God beg you, AVOID Mass communication like a plague. E get why grin

WHY PLEASE?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Emeraldfynest(m): 4:26pm On Jun 30, 2021
You are absolutely wrong, probably you are looking at it from the local perspective. Look at Agric from the tech perspective, with new innovations in hydroponics, tissue culture and organic farming, agric is still a lucrative course to study. People eat everyday, so if you can provide or build a system that solves this, you will be smiling to the bank.

Agriculture has gone beyond how and cut lasses, look up samsonprolific on IG and you will change your mind.
Komu1048:

Be deceiving yourself. If you are not from a wealthy family Agriculture should be the number one course you should avoid. Infact it’s better to sleep throughout the five years than to go ahead with it. Many job portals don’t even add agriculture to the list of degrees.
Forget the media propaganda if you are not rich you can’t even survive in the agro sector. You keep investing and expecting a return that is 60-40 bound to fail. What are you going to survive on during this waiting period.
Las las you will either end up as agric teacher(and earn 15k per month, where maths teacher are earning over 40k)cox any dumb can teach agric at sec sch level or learn trade.

Even agric sector will rather employ engineer, accountant, marketers than hire a person with agric degree.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by RADDY1(m): 4:36pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Do we have it in Nigeria? If it merges electrical and computer then all good but mechanical alone as a course of study is useless.

Federal University of Technology, Minna offers the Course.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by RADDY1(m): 4:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

The following should be avoided except you are rich or well connected.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.

Please someone should kindly advice on the course a Commercial student can study in the University and at the end, will not be stranded.
Thanks.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Emeraldfynest(m): 4:55pm On Jun 30, 2021
Pls experienced people on this thread, I am currently in my 3rd year with a weak 2.2, I keep working hard to make a 2.1 before I graduate, but can a 2.2 graduate do Masters, thanks. I intend to do my M. Sc after graduation.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by muhammadhan19: 5:14pm On Jun 30, 2021
300level studying agricultural and bio resource engineering, any hope??
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 5:14pm On Jun 30, 2021
Emeraldfynest:
Pls experienced people on this thread, I am currently in my 3rd year with a weak 2.2, I keep working hard to make a 2.1 before I graduate, but can a 2.2 graduate do Masters, thanks. I intend to do my M. Sc after graduation.

Try to increase your cgpa to a 2.1
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by eminemkayc: 5:27pm On Jun 30, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

Respect to you Sir. I like your methodology of analysis. Even though OP has some interesting points, his knowledge of the engineering profession is extremely limited.
Thank you.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ocelot2006(m): 5:27pm On Jun 30, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Is chemical engineering difficult to get a job

Bros, don't even bother with Chemical Engineering. The jobs available are just too few. I recommend reading one of the major 3 i.e.

Electrical and Electronics
Civil
Mechanical

You can then decide to specialize during your postgrad year(s).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by psucc(m): 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2021
Is vet medicine a good course here in Nigeria?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by eminemkayc: 5:42pm On Jun 30, 2021
Malcolm123:

For you to say civil engineering is not lucrative it shows ur IQ level ...or let me say u talk out of ignorance

There is no point dialoguing with u on it....you have little knowledge about engineering practice in nigeria generally i can deduct dat from all the gibberish u have wrote

He has spoken completely out of sheer ignorance. You may kindly ignore his assertions.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by hpymoment(f): 5:45pm On Jun 30, 2021
Karleb:
Biochemistry. Chemistry.

Most people who studied these courses are doing something else.

Let me add that these courses are not easy. Hard but almost nothing to show for it after graduation.

You said nothing but the truth.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ModestGal(f): 5:53pm On Jun 30, 2021
chibjohn:

Or maybe the grade you graduated with. I am in touch with most of my classmates. While they are not all practicing, most are.
I will not disclose my salary but I earn a decent amount according to Nigerian standard.
My kids can study whatever they want.
My younger bro is studying EEE which is his choice.
People like you are the reason Nigeria is backward, because you are a blunt lier. 99.9% of people who study that in my set have no job today.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government / Afe Babalola University Student Beats Up Female Lecturer (Video) / No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.