Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,483 members, 7,770,178 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:48 AM

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. (71579 Views)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Bunmhi(f): 9:09pm On Jun 29, 2021
I'm proud to be a surveyor grin

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by jesmond3945: 9:09pm On Jun 29, 2021
atom080:
@ tensazangetsu20
what about MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING?

I think, it's the best of all.
it's the brigde connecting the three major engineering courses(mechanical+elect/elect+computer).
moreso, it is a course that merge I.T with engineering.
mechatronics is jack of all trade master of none

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 9:18pm On Jun 29, 2021
yusman14:
Mechanical is a top course... what will u now say about Agricultural engineering, chemical engineering,and production engineering

Production is almost the same as Mechanical Engineering. Same as Agricultural Engineering, while Mechanical Engineering focuses on general machinery for example, Agricultural Engineering focuses on machinery for agricultural purposes. With a Bachelors in Agricultural Engineering, you can be admitted into a Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (some options)

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Karleb(m): 9:30pm On Jun 29, 2021
DrBrainstorm:
Most people here don't really understand the essence of this thread.
Poor family + poor choices of courses * Nigeria = Very wrong

I made a thread concerning this last year.

https://www.nairaland.com/6243279/not-study-course-just-because

Na those jambites I just dey pity. Many of them think Nigeria of today is still the same as that of year 2000.

4 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 29, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

The following should be avoided except you are rich or well connected.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.

Like seriously, where a civil engineer works a physicist can't survive there. The most lucrative engineering course is civil engineering reason is you can be self-employed, computer engineering is a waste I will suggest you rather go for computer science. Electrical engineering is the next because they are needed in almost all engineering companies.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:16pm On Jun 29, 2021
BiggyB242:

Like seriously, where a civil engineer works a physicist can't survive there. The most lucrative engineering course is civil engineering reason is you can be self-employed, computer engineering is a waste I will suggest you rather go for computer science. Electrical engineering is the next because they are needed in almost all engineering companies.
Civil engineering what? That's like the most useless engineering course. That and petroleum engineering I don't know which is more useless.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 29, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

The OP knows very little about engineering, his view is myopic.

Just last week one of my mentor got a PhD schorlarship to do research in material science. She has a master degree in mechanical engineering.

Op thinks engineering is all about programming and artificial intelligence.

I have huge interest in sustainable energy, computational fluid dynamics(aerodynamics,turbulence and combustion), hvacs and thermal behavior of buildings. A first degree in mechanical engineering is one of the best decision of my life.

All engineering courses has equal chances when it comes to traveling out.

Very little about engineering, I was surprised at the write-up especially the engineering section.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 29, 2021
Nozino:

It isn’t sir. The most useless is Mechanical Engineering. It’s just hype

How about computer engineering and petroleum engineering, mechanical is better.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 10:28pm On Jun 29, 2021
jesmond3945:
mechatronics is jack of all trade master of none
MTCHEEW...
pls do you know what a mechatronics system is?
once you don't understand sth ask questions.
stop spewing rubish at the highest hieght of ignorance.
medicine combines biochem+anatomy+microbiology+physiology+pharmacology+etc... yet it is the master of all.
infact it's waste of time replying you!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Abolajigram(m): 10:41pm On Jun 29, 2021
Mujibson
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by mujibson(m): 11:17pm On Jun 29, 2021
Abolajigram:
Mujibson
Omoh, this your mention ehn grin

Well I eat but not digest every post I see here in nairaland. Most career posts people make here are always subjective. While someone gives you 80 reasons why MBBS/Engineering is not lucrative another will come with 120 reasons why it's best you study them. Although one doesn't invalidate the other. Then It's not any of the party's fault, jus blame the system.

But what choice do we have? Leave Engineering school because some person says it's not lucrative (for people who are not from rich home)? Nah, we just try as much as possible to pick some 'sense' in every 'nonsense' we see here. This is the kind of post that should make us more serious with our studies than before, be passionate about the practical aspect, relate and make connections with the supposed rich pikins and most importantly pray like there is no tomorrow. Las las everyone will have it's own different and distinct story to tell.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 11:24pm On Jun 29, 2021
atom080:

OMG!
i don't love sentiments.
how on earth would you compare professional courses to 4 year courses.
now take aside japa mentality, and joke apart, do u think japa is dat easy for a fresh grads?
now back to my point, what shall it profit a man who study a non-professional course and couldn't japa at the end of the day.
eh! man in life you need to be smart and calculative!
where can you work with bsc physics if you cant japa compared to other engr course?
you are only obsessed with plan B but neglect plan A.
think stragetically while choosing a course. don't just play risky risky game.
ok let's play it this way.
tell me what bsc physics can do and i will tell you how bsc mech cn achieve it beta

If you had read my first post on this thread, you would have seen this:

Gerrard59:
OP is very correct especially if you look at it from the aspect of fleeing the country after your graduation (which I advise young and ambitious Nigerian youths to do).

Unless specified, there is no job opening a Physics grad cannot apply to just as his/her engineering counterpart. In the oil and gas industry, same thing. BTW, how many factories/industries are there in Nigeria? You type as if Nigeria is Taiwan where engineering grads are hot cakes because of the semi-conductor and yacht building industries. Professional courses yen yen yen, yet has the second highest unemployment rate globally! Nonsense and professional course! My business is with those who aspire to flee after graduation not those who desire to remain in the world's poverty capital.

3 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 11:26pm On Jun 29, 2021
Christistruth00:

Maximum 2 years and Buhari will be out of Power

Bold of you to think that Buhari will leave office come 2023. It is like you people don't know who you voted for in 2015. You thought dude is a "reformed democrat" like was spewed online prior to the 2015 elections? grin

3 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 11:33pm On Jun 29, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

God bless you Sir, I don't just understand why the nairaland programmers think maybe engineering and technology is all about programming.

I understand that programming is important in advancement of technology and has a great future.

But what about the guys working on fuel cells at Tesla? the guys working on new space craft materials at NASA? The guys working on developing energy efficient engines? The guys developing artificial heart? The guys working on hvacs and heat pumps? The aerodynamics analyst at airbus? The guys designing the concentrated solar power plants for future energy systems?

This is just to mention few. So far you have a solid GPA in engineering in Nigeria, have a great passion for engineering and not money.

Work hard on your dreams and leave Nigeria
. You stand a great chance of doing very well in engineering.

The essence of the thread is to let aspiring students know that it is way better studying Physics rather than wait endlessly for engineering courses which are five years (ASUU+ internal issues). Rather than waste so much time, do something which has a shorter time-frame and leave the system. Those (sub)courses can be done at Master level outside Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 11:37pm On Jun 29, 2021
DrBrainstorm:
Most people here don't really understand the essence of this thread.
Poor family + poor choices of courses * Nigeria = Very wrong

They are Nigerians: optimistic, ignorant and display a primitive sense of braggadocio.

They will learn a thing or two when they understand the importance of experiencing GDP growth of 6%+, something Nigeria has not experienced in six years going to eight, has the highest number poor people and second highest unemployment globally.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Dbb01(m): 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2021
Gerrard59:

They are Nigerians: optimistic, ignorant and display a primitive sense of braggadocio.

They will learn a thing or two when they understand the importance of experiencing GDP growth of 6%+, something Nigeria has not experienced in six years going to eight and second highest unemployment globally.

[color=#006600][/color]You are not to be blamed undecidedYou are not to be blamed
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 12:03am On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:

The essence of the thread is to let aspiring students know that it is way better studying Physics rather than wait endlessly for engineering courses which are five years (ASUU+ internal issues). Rather than waste so much time, do something which has a shorter time-frame and leave the system. Those (sub)courses can be done at Master level outside Nigeria.
so one year is a big deal to you?
i laugh in swhali.
hope u didn't forget that physics is 5 yr course in all university of tech.
you are only talking from japa mentality, which by the way physics is top notch!

but as far as u ar staying in 9ja, bro study professional course!

apart frm oil company which industry can a physics grad work in 9ja?

mind u, anybody cn work in oil company, even an economics, a lawyer, a doc etc cn work there. so oil company is out of the eqn!

by the way what engr course do you study and what's your cpga?

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 12:10am On Jun 30, 2021
BiggyB242:

How about computer engineering and petroleum engineering, mechanical is better.

Computer Engineering is cool. Petroleum Engineering should be scrapped!!!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 12:14am On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:

do master outside nigeria?
sound easy for that rich dude.
but experience should tell you that those 4yr courses are 'hell' to graduate with first class compared to engr!
but lemme ask, if a poor dude had 2.1 in physics and couldn't secure scholarship to japa. pls what's his fate in 9ja?
dn't tell me oil company. dnt tell me bank.
jst tell me an industry.
let me tell you dis. it'll only take a physics grad to open ur eye of which am xpecting on this thread.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Sima04: 12:20am On Jun 30, 2021
Microwhy:

Embedded systems and Robotics both are mechanical courses.
But because you totally don't have knowledge about what you try to say, you're just blabing.

embedded system is purely computer engineering

that's the only difference between elect/elect and computer engineering if u attend a good university.

3 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 3:49am On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

do master outside nigeria?
sound easy for that rich dude.
but experience should tell you that those 4yr courses are 'hell' to graduate with first class compared to engr!
but lemme ask, if a poor dude had 2.1 in physics and couldn't secure scholarship to japa. pls what's his fate in 9ja?
dn't tell me oil company. dnt tell me bank.
jst tell me an industry.
let me tell you dis. it'll only take a physics grad to open ur eye of which am xpecting on this thread.

He goes into tech and he earns in dollars or euros. The belief that a Physics grad with a 2.1 will do nothing is hinged on ignorance and fortunately, all are not ignorant.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 3:59am On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

so one year is a big deal to you?
i laugh in swhali.
hope u didn't forget that physics is 5 yr course in all university of tech.
you are only talking from japa mentality, which by the way physics is top notch!

Finally!

Anyone who is prepared to leave the system quickly should avoid all universities with "Tech" in their names. Unless Medicine (which has a future abroad, I do not get why young Nigerians should waste five years studying any engineering course in a Nigerian university. Totally pointless! Nigeria seems to be the only place where that happens. Everywhere else is max four years.)

but as far as u ar staying in 9ja, bro study professional course!

apart frm oil company which industry can a physics grad work in 9ja?

mind u, anybody cn work in oil company, even an economics, a lawyer, a doc etc cn work there. so oil company is out of the eqn!

by the way what engr course do you study and what's your cpga?

Investment banks (I have written the CV for a Math grad who applied to an opening that specifically requested for only Math and Physics grads with first class) and manufacturing industries - TGI, Dufil Prima Foods, Nigerian Bottling Companies etc.

I did not study any engineering discipline and I finished in the top 1% of my class.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 4:06am On Jun 30, 2021
Dbb01:
[color=#006600][/color]You are not to be blamed undecidedYou are not to be blamed

That is the good thing about my stance: you really cannot blame me because these things will happen and will get worse. Take it from me, unemployment will worsen as the GDP rate dips, population will balloon and people will get poorer. In few years to come when they happen and the govt becomes irredeemably broke to finance public universities, y'all will remember this thread.

Again, Nigerians - largely ignorant - seem to have this unwavering faith in the future of the country. One day, they will learn, the hard way.

4 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Dbb01(m): 5:49am On Jun 30, 2021
angry If God can surely intervene...
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Lordbinsmar: 6:50am On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:

Sir, I understand that OP has some valid points, but his view on engineering courses is totally wrong.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by yusman14(m): 7:01am On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

Petroleum engineering,and metallurgical and materials engineering, which one is better?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:08am On Jun 30, 2021
yusman14:
Petroleum engineering,and metallurgical and materials engineering, which one is better?
I would say materials but I won't even advise my enemy to study it but between petroleum and materials if that's an option I would go for materials.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by yusman14(m): 7:15am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I would say materials but I won't even advise my enemy to study it but between petroleum and materials if that's an option I would go for materials.
I am an undergraduate of mat engineering..hoping to leave the country after first degree...are there opportunities in Nigeria?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:16am On Jun 30, 2021
yusman14:
I am an undergraduate of mat engineering..hoping to leave the country after first degree...are there opportunities in Nigeria?
Go on LinkedIn jobs and search for how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 7:30am On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:

I did not study any engineering discipline and I finished in the top 1% of my class.
haha!
you didn't study engr course?
that says it all.
and by the way investment banks are opened to all courses, get that fact!
even in the big 4, any course can apply and work.
pls what's the difference btw 4yr and 5yr? as in what makes 5yrs useless compared to 4yrs? cos 5yrs is 10times greater than 4 yrs abi?
hello, i heard it's easy to japa for the poor dude. can you elaborate the process involved?

if it's that easy, everyone would have japa naw.

you said medicine has more prospect abroad? pls explain how.

apart from uk, pls cn u explain how a doctor can migrate easily to u.s, germany, canada?
the problem i have with you is that you make things easier than they are(disillusioned). you don't speak with fact.
for every words i say or counter, i have an obtainable fact to back it up.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

Computer engineering is useless as well, their few jobs for computer engineering. Will rather advise he/she goes for computer science. The first class from computer engineer with master they alaba market they sell furniture, don't get me wrong he might making more money. It was no job that made him dive into that business.

The people from my set doing well are mostly from electrical engineering.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 7:58am On Jun 30, 2021
@ Gerrard59
get to know the difference between professional and non-professional courses.
by default all physical science courses including physics are research base i.e they are academic courses, so they don't fit to any particular industry or profession(except for research/lecturing). get that fact!
and again, don't ever compare western education timeframe to what can be obtainable in 9ja.
in the u.k, u.s, engr is 4yrs(good and fine) i.e a 1yr difference.
bt do you knw dat medicine is 5yr in u.k and 4yr in u.s?
then why can't you call medicine a waste of time too?(infact it's 7yrs +nysc in 9ja).
even at the undergrad level in nigeria, engr stud'nt have alot of opportunity compared to physics, eg local scholarships.
get my fact right! physics is not a profession while engr is. never compare the two in terms of employment opportunity.
pls, engage me with verfiable facts and proofs(references if possible).
i'm not interested in unverifiable personal experience or stories.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Jamb scores 8th and 9th candidates below 200. / 12 Coolest Students Hostels, Residences In The World(Photos) / I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.