Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (22918 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 1:19am On May 09, 2011
I have heard alot of people calling "Igbos", "Ibos" or "Ebohs" with an excuse that it was used that way by the colonial masters and that it is easier to pronounce that way. This is widely used in the political section of Nairaland to taunt and insult Igbos. Is it so difficult to add the "G" in front of the "B"?

The most appalling is that Yoruba Nigerians can comfortably pronounce "Igbo" without stress. In Yoruba language, there are words with the "GB" stress. For example, "Gbori e" or "Agbero". Won't it be weird to hear a Yoruba man pronouncing those words, "Bori e" and "Abero"?

Now the question is, why do they keep using "Ibo"? Is it to show disrespect, or for convenience? Unlike Y-O-R-U-B-A that is six letters and H_A_U_S_A that is five letters, I-G-B-O is four letters, so who should feel more inconvenience in using names here?

Well, if it is about English pronunciation, I will say "Ibo" is totally understandable. However, "Yoruba" or "Yorba" should also be understandable.
According to "The Free dictionary online", Yoruba[b](yō`roobä)[/b], people of SW Nigeria and Benin, numbering about 20 million. Today many of the large cities in Nigeria (including Lagos, Ibadan, and Abeokuta) are in Yorubaland.
In Igboland, we call "Hausa" "Awusa". But still we make efforts to pronounce and spell it correctly, as a sign of respect, which is never reciprocated by the Hausas.

Most people use "Ibo" when they can comfortably pronounce "Igbo". In the real sense of it, it annoys Igbo people to see people call them that way. Most especially, "Yoruba" folks who can comfortably pronounce "Igbo". Hausa peeps may be exempted because their intonation may make it difficult, but still they can put it correctly in writing.

I have made up my mind to respond every post that is with "Ibo" in it with "Yorooba" or "Awusa" as the case may be. I will do this from now on. My reason is that it is used to score scornful political points on Nairaland against Igbos, than for convenience. It also shows that the people that use it needs to learn how to write it properly. As they say, sometimes a person needs to descend very low to correct common mistakes from people that lack knowledge. It will also be a good response for insolent Nairalanders from other ethnic groups.
I hope other Igbos will join me in doing this, until people learn how to pronounce and write "Igbo" properly.

3 Likes

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by TNUBU4LIFE: 1:28am On May 09, 2011
i think most people aint aware,it was on nairaland that I discovered it is uncouth to spell the igbos as ibos.no disrespect intended,i think more awareness like u re doing should be encouraged! kiss

2 Likes

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by ChinenyeN(m): 1:29am On May 09, 2011
. . or Yurba, considering English/Yankee phonetics.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by udezue(m): 1:31am On May 09, 2011
I am so in 100 percent with you. Yorooba folks on NL can be quite disrespectful.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 1:33am On May 09, 2011
igbo is pronounced ibo hence the confusion.

TNUBU4LIFE:

i think most people aint aware,it was on nairaland that I discovered it is uncouth to spell the igbos as ibos.no disrespect intended,i think more awareness like u re doing should be encouraged! kiss

exactly. I don't think anyone is doing it out of spite.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by EzeUche2(m): 1:35am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

igbo is pronounced ibo hence the confusion.

exactly. I don't think anyone is doing it out of spite.

Yet, when they are corrected, they continue to do it.

Is that spite?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 1:44am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

Yet, when they are corrected, they continue to do it.

Is that spite?

maybe they are slow learners.
can you give me examples of these posters that do this after being corrected?
post d link.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 1:52am On May 09, 2011
Most do it to spite Igbos.

Dont waste your breath, simply reply in kind.

If an hausa spell 'Ibo', spell 'Awusa' back.

If a yoruba spell 'Ibo', spell 'Yoruba' too.

That's how their names sound in Igbo.

Enough of the unreciprocated courtesy. Shi ke nan.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 2:00am On May 09, 2011

That's how their names sound in Igbo.

^ that is funny that you mentioned this because I notice that most igbos pronounce yoruba as Yoruba.
is that out of spite? lol
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 2:19am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

^ that is funny that you mentioned this because I notice that most igbos [/b]pronounce yoruba as [b]Yoruba.
is that out of spite? lol

True. Yet we write "YORUBA" properly.
It is easier for Yoruba people to pronounce "Igbo", than for Igbos to pronounce "Yoruba".
Following stress pattern, the stress is on "YOruba", hence the negligence of the "RUBA" sometimes. But for Igbo, the stress is on "iGBO", which makes the "GB" sound very clear, as in "aGBO", "GBEmiLEKE", "GBEnGA" etc, yet some Yorubas choose "BO", which according to them is how it is written in English.
Talking about English, an English man will never spell Yoruba as "Yoruba". Unless they are corrected, they will spell it as "Yorooba". "Roo" as in "Rookie", "Brook" etc
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by zstranger: 2:26am On May 09, 2011
Honestly, I do it to spite you all

I am Nigerian and every Yoruba knows that it is igbo, so if you see me using Ibo, it is intentional.

I call it Igbo in real life, but on NL, it is Ibo or heebo or Eebo, depending on my mood

But when I am trying to pick up igbo girls like Inked, I call it igboi.

You can do whatever you want, call me Anago, Akan, Yooba or Yba, I really dont care. you opinion matters not to me
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 2:31am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

True. Yet we write "YORUBA" properly.
It is easier for Yoruba people to pronounce "Igbo", than for Igbos to pronounce "Yoruba".
Following stress pattern, the stress is on "YOruba", hence the negligence of the "RUBA" sometimes. But for Igbo, the stress is on "iGBO", which makes the "GB" sound very clear, as in "aGBO", "GBEmiLEKE", "GBEnGA" etc, yet some Yorubas choose "BO", which according to them is how it is written in English.
Talking about English, an English man will never spell Yoruba as "Yoruba". Unless they are corrected, they will spell it as "Yorooba". "Roo" as in "Rookie", "Brook" etc

are you trying to say that igbo is not pronounced ibo?
to God, i didn't know that.

to be honest, most yorubas don't care much if you or white people misspell it as "yorooba". because we assume that it's a honest mistake. at most, we will correct it. but really nothing to be unnerving yourself about.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 2:36am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

are you trying to say that igbo is not pronounced ibo? 
to God, i didn't know that.

to be honest, most yorubas don't care much if you or white people misspell it as "yorooba". because we assume that it's a honest mistake. at most, we will correct it. but really nothing to be unnerving yourself about.

Well, now you know that it is Igbo and not "Ibo". If you use "Ibo" again, it will not be assumed to be a mistake, it will be an insult. Even You will not find it funny if someone keeps misspelling your name after being corrected several times. It will turn into a taunt than a mistake.

1 Like

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 2:42am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

I am Nigerian and every Yoruba knows that it is igbo, so if you see me using Ibo, it is intentional.

I call it Igbo in real life, but on NL, it is Ibo or heebo or Eebo, depending on my mood

You can do whatever you want, call me Anago, Akan, Yooba or Yba, I really dont care. you opinion matters not to me

As long as you don't find it insolent when you are called a "Yoruba", "Yorebo" or "Yorooba", then carry on. No one is stopping you. Just that you should never expect any respect in the spelling of your ethnic group's name.

1 Like

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 2:44am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

maybe they are slow learners.
can you give me examples of  these posters that do this after being corrected?
post d link.

Here is a fresh one.

zstranger:

1 Like

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 2:54am On May 09, 2011
ignore that one.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-652390.0.html

Justcash:

Well, now you know that it is Igbo and not "Ibo". If you use "Ibo" again, it will not be assumed to be a mistake, it will be an insult. Even You will not find it funny if someone keeps misspelling your name after being corrected several times. It will turn into a taunt than a mistake.

I always spell it as igbo but I pronounce it as ibo. I thought it was pronounced ibo
I think this is where the confusion comes from. d disparity between spelling and pronunciation.

1 Like

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:05am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

ignore that one.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-652390.0.html

I always spell it as igbo but I pronounce it as ibo. I thought it was pronounced ibo
I think this is where the confusion comes from. d disparity between spelling and pronunciation.

Difficulty in pronunciation is definitely understandable. The fact that you spell and write it well is enough respect for Igbos already, and is well appreciated. Have no doubt that it will be reciprocated.

1 Like

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by zstranger: 3:08am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

Difficulty in pronunciation is definitely understandable. The fact that you spell and write it well is enough respect for Igbos already, and is well appreciated. Have no doubt that it will be reciprocated.

She is latvian, she knows nothing about our below the surface feud.

Anyway, my Ibo friend, how is life?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:14am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

She is latvian, she knows nothing about our below the surface feud.

Anyway, my Ibo friend, how is life?

The truth is that no one got any feud with you. You are fighting yourself in an imaginary warfare. Some call your sickness Multiple personality syndrome. Others call it Insanity. In Naija we call it "Craze". Na wetin dey worry you be that.
If she is really Latvian, then you should be ashamed that she is more knowledgeable than you can ever be. And sorry, I aint a friend to Yoroobas like you.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by zstranger: 3:20am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

The truth is that no one got any feud with you. You are fighting yourself in an imaginary warfare. Some call your sickness Multiple personality syndrome. Others call it Insanity. In Naija we call it "Craze". Na wetin dey worry you be that.
If she is really Latvian, then you should be ashamed that she is more knowledgeable than you can ever be. And sorry, I aint a friend to Yoroobas like you.

Well, i was being sarcastic. if you think all this crap you all do on NL get to me, then sorry to break it to you, it doesnt.

Well, she is Latvian and her knowledge of Nigeria = Zero. But I am not mad at you though, knowing that in 10 yrs time, a Yoruba man would be Governor of Alaigbo via ACN, and you and your people would be dependent on us for survival, gives me more satisfaction that you can ever imagine
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 3:29am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

I don't have any difficulty pronouncing the gb. I just didn't realize it was pronounced that way. even my igbo friends pronounce it as ibo. I can positively say that I rarely hear igbo being pronounced with gb. even from igbos themselves!
or maybe they say it very subtly that I don't hear it?

and please ignore the buffoon
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:29am On May 09, 2011
In every documentary, every video out there, every book. . . .  the SW people of Nigerians are called YORUBAS.

In almost every documentary, almost every video out there, almost every book out there. . . . the SW people of Nigeria are called Igbos or Ebos or Ibos or Igbos.

Shouldnt every anthropologist out there be blasted too?  
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 3:31am On May 09, 2011
Why do the ibo like fighting with the yorooba? undecided
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:32am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

Well, i was being sarcastic. if you think all this crap you all do on NL get to me, then sorry to break it to you, it doesnt.

Well, she is Latvian and her knowledge of Nigeria = Zero. But I am not mad at you though, knowing that in 10 yrs time, a Yoruba man would be Governor of Alaigbo via ACN, and you and your people would be dependent on us for survival,  gives me more satisfaction that you can ever imagine

You just vindicated what I said

Justcash:

One would wonder what ACN, State Governorship etc gat to do with the topic. Even you can see that you fighting with yourself.

Now I understand the saying that'"THOSE THE GODS WANTS TO CURSE, THEY FIRST MAKE MAD".
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:33am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

Why do the ibo like fighting with the yorooba? undecided

What made you to conceive this topic as a fight against any ethnic group?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:38am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

In every documentary, every video out there, every book. . . .  the SW people of Nigerians are called YORUBAS.

In almost every documentary, almost every video out there, almost every book out there. . . . the SW people of Nigeria are called Igbos or Ebos or Ibos or Igbos.

Shouldnt every anthropologist out there be blasted too?  

Nah, your people are being called "Yoroobas", especially in dictionaries.
What is the difference between the "oo" in "Yorooba" and the one in "School" or "Rookie"? No difference. You don't need an anthropologist to tell you that.
I bet you expect me as an Igbo to spell it properly, while as a Yoruba you prefer not to spell "Igbo" properly. Must you spell Igbo like a white man? Don't you know that it is "Igbo" and not "Ibo"?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:40am On May 09, 2011
Maybe it's just accent.

Some Igbos would say . . . .Ibo

Yorubas would say  . . . . . . . . . . . Igbo

Hausas would say . . . . . . . . . . . . Ebos

Kanurus would say. . . . . . . . .  . . Egbos

Some SEastern groups would say. . Igbos

I dont get it sha. The many variance of Igbos (Ibos, Igbos, Ebos, Igbo, Igbos). I prefer Igbos tho. Reminds me of Igbo.Igbo is the Yoruba work for weed or grass.
Was Igbo spelled as Ibos before and the Yorubas changed it to Igbo? Maybe the gb [/b]is easier for Yorubas to say than the [b]bo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 3:41am On May 09, 2011
^^^ For one, I dont understand the hullabaloo. Personally I think Ibo sounds way cuter than Igbo.

I wish all ibo could understand that being called ibo by their brothers is a show of deep love for the ibo people.

Dont you just love being ibo. I would if I was ibo by the way. Hey, I have a quick question to ask, if I wanted to give my kid some cool ibo name what do you think would be a suitable name? Personally, I like Emeka, awesome ibo name but pretty common.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by zstranger: 3:42am On May 09, 2011
^^^

Do you have an ibo name?

I think a lot of Yorubas do, yours truly included
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 3:45am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Maybe it's just accent.

I dont get it sha. The many variance of Igbos (Ibos, Igbos, Ebos, Igbo, Igbos). I prefer Igbos tho. Reminds me of Igbo.Igbo is the Yoruba work for weed or grass.
Was Igbo spelled as Ibos before and the Yorubas changed it to Igbo? Maybe the gb [/b]is easier for Yorubas to say than the [b]bo.

U definitely did not do you high school education in Nigerian just like Jenifa. Trust me there is a lot of confusion about Igbo versus Ibo. I was taught in school to use Ibo, then I come on NL and people jump on me. Anytime I bang my ibo girlfriend- She shouts "Yoruba" and I shout (well I dont shout really, I kind of say it in my mind), Ibo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:45am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

^^^ For one, I dont understand the hullabaloo. Personally I think Ibo sounds way cuter than Igbo.

I wish all ibo could understand that being called ibo by their brothers is a show of deep love for the ibo people.

Dont you just love being ibo. I would if I was ibo by the way. Hey, I have a quick question to ask, if I wanted to give my kid some cool ibo name what do you think would be a suitable name? Personally, I like Emeka, awesome ibo name but pretty common.

Chioma, Odewegie, Uchenna and Chyz nko?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:46am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Maybe it's just accent.

Yeah, Just as Yoruba reminds me of Very dark, boobyliciouse Ladies with "Lion scratches" on their faces in the name of tribal mark.  wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Sanwo-olu Presents Staff Of Office To Alara Of Ilara, Olufolarin Olukayode / Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.