Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) (3095 Views)

Lagon Herbicides For Sale---SOLD / 100 Liters Of Rabbit Urine Available For Sale In Ibadan Now / Pesticides, Herbicides, everythingcides (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 6:27am On Jul 01, 2021
this is he experience I got from one acre corn farm, I've dumped 7 bottles of glyphosphate(yes and two before which far failed woefully)
I sprayed one bottle to 75litrs delivered by a 20liter jacto sprayer, with a fine nozzle(at high pressure it produces mist) as you've guessed,it failed.
licking my wounds I switched to 60liters to 1liter of Forceup® delivered by a 16Liter striker sprayer @250ml to 16L (this one produced tiny droplets like dew and even bigger with minimal chances of drift, I used it perfectly well in spraying glyphosphate between my rows of corn with 1 incident per 2000)

Am I overdoing it or am I in the right track, I would also like to try my hands on other systemic herbicides (contact herbicides are off limits for me.

mynd44
lalasticlala
Farmtech
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by FarmTech(m): 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2021
ekerensima:
this is he experience I got from one acre corn farm, I've dumped 7 bottles of glyphosphate(yes and two before which far failed woefully)
I sprayed one bottle to 75litrs delivered by a 20liter jacto sprayer, with a fine nozzle(at high pressure it produces mist) as you've guessed,it failed.
licking my wounds I switched to 60liters to 1liter of Forceup® delivered by a 16Liter striker sprayer @250ml to 16L (this one produced tiny droplets like dew and even bigger with minimal chances of drift, I used it perfectly well in spraying glyphosphate between my rows of corn with 1 incident per 2000)

Am I overdoing it or am I in the right track, I would also like to try my hands on other systemic herbicides (contact herbicides are off limits for me.

mynd44
lalasticlala
Farmtech
Follow manufacturer's recommendation. I use 10ml/L for grass weed and 16ml/L for hard-to-kill, broadleaved weeds.

1 Like

Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2021
FarmTech:

Follow manufacturer's recommendation. I use 10ml/L for grass weed and 16ml/L for hard-to-kill, broadleaved weeds.
this is the result i use to have some yrs back,btw what brand are you using?
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2021
FarmTech:

so how many liters of water do you spray for 1acre
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by FarmTech(m): 11:09pm On Jul 01, 2021
ekerensima:
this is the result i use to have some yrs back,btw what brand are you using?
Any brand available and cheap, mainly Force up and Uproot.

1 Like

Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by FarmTech(m): 11:10pm On Jul 01, 2021
ekerensima:
so how many liters of water do you spray for 1acre
Haven't calculated that.
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 02, 2021
FarmTech:

Any brand available and cheap, mainly Force up and Uproot.
na the same thing for me ooo, k for like test other systemic herbicides apart from glyphosphate
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 3:14pm On Jul 02, 2021
For paraquat, use 150ml to 16l normal knapsack or 20l jackto anything above that is a waste

For glyphosphates, the weeds you deal with determine the volume of chemical to use.

I know a farmer who uses 150ml per 16l knapsack and it works for him. For segdes, Guinea grass and elephant grass age and toughness of plant dictate the quantity of chemical used

New sprouts ,tender and young plants
150ml
For vigorous growing weeds 200 to 250mls

For hardy and toughen weed at flowering and seeding stage 300mls most especially for elephant grass else you are just petting it

This is from years of experience not those recommended usage that doesn't work sometimes. Also bear in mind that weeds have started building resistance to the herbicide so for whichever herbicide u want to use add half a satchet of 60naira detergent. It makes your herbicide more active and binds it to the leaves. But note that if it touches and crop then there is no survival for it

And if after this your herbicide doesn't work then it's safe to say that the chemical is original fake. If 3 fake bottles of roundup can be added to a sealed carton I bought from a recognized agro dealer then there is nothing that they can't do

My own piece
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by FarmTech(m): 3:23pm On Jul 02, 2021
ekerensima:
na the same thing for me ooo, k for like test other systemic herbicides apart from glyphosphate
I've not tried any other systemic for now. But I have them in mind. In the long run, I'm looking at the doing things more organically.
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2021
ekerensima:
Currently I use sunphosate, diezengoff and tackle and even Awura wura. Keep clear big names as they are easy to fake

1 Like

Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 3:28pm On Jul 02, 2021
FarmTech:

I've not tried any other systemic for now. But I have them in mind. In the long run, I'm looking at the doing things more organically.
Are there test organic herbicide in Nigeria
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by IamAsiri: 4:15pm On Jul 02, 2021
Emempaul:

Yes, there are. There are now bio-herbicides that you can use that are definitely organic and environmentally safe.

https://www.nairaland.com/6551405/affordable-organic-solid-liquid-fertilizers
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by FarmTech(m): 9:31pm On Jul 02, 2021
Emempaul:

No. But weeds can also be controlled with mulch and by using drip irrigation in the dry season.
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 03, 2021
Emempaul:

Currently I use sunphosate, diezengoff and tackle and even Awura wura. Keep clear big names as they are easy to fake
inmagine spending 20k buying a carton fo fakes. So sad
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 03, 2021
Emempaul:
For paraquat, use 150ml to 16l normal knapsack or 20l jackto anything above that is a waste

For glyphosphates, the weeds you deal with determine the volume of chemical to use.

I know a farmer who uses 150ml per 16l knapsack and it works for him. For segdes, Guinea grass and elephant grass age and toughness of plant dictate the quantity of chemical used

New sprouts ,tender and young plants
150ml
For vigorous growing weeds 200 to 250mls

For hardy and toughen weed at flowering and seeding stage 300mls most especially for elephant grass else you are just petting it

This is from years of experience not those recommended usage that doesn't work sometimes. Also bear in mind that weeds have started building resistance to the herbicide so for whichever herbicide u want to use add half a satchet of 60naira detergent. It makes your herbicide more active and binds it to the leaves. But note that if it touches and crop then there is no survival for it

And if after this your herbicide doesn't work then it's safe to say that the chemical is original fake. If 3 fake bottles of roundup can be added to a sealed carton I bought from a recognized agro dealer then there is nothing that they can't do

My own piece
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 6:36pm On Jul 03, 2021
[quote author=ekerensima post=103315180][/quote]

At a point, even me wey use my hand spray the farm come dey doubt mysef say I no measure am well. It was wen I used the chemical elsewhere that I found out the truth. So till I used that carton finish na so I mix everything

Like I said earlier add half a satchet of detergent to increase chemical activeness as the weeds have started building resistance to the glyphosphates family. Since I don't know the effects on crop, I only make sure I use it in preplanting operations and to dessicated weed before cassava havest. I still more to striker for corn and paraquat family for cassava
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 04, 2021
Emempaul:

At a point, even me wey use my hand spray the farm come dey doubt mysef say I no measure am well. It was wen I used the chemical elsewhere that I found out the truth. So till I used that carton finish na so I mix everything

Like I said earlier add half a satchet of detergent to increase chemical activeness as the weeds have started building resistance to the glyphosphates family. Since I don't know the effects on crop, I only make sure I use it in preplanting operations and to dessicated weed before cassava havest. I still more to striker for corn and paraquat family for cassava

experience na the best teacher ooo hw much you buy 1 carton this year?
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 04, 2021
[quote author=ekerensima post=103315180][/quote]

as for elephant grass and one weed whe we dey call Awolowo(broadleaf) na for me to clear them to ankle level wait make them grow fresh again then use 250ml to 16L, works perfectly for me. I try use 220ml to 20L for waist level Awolowo, my broda Na so I take waste 2liters of glyphosphate ooooo, since then I nor wan hear anything at all,250ml for 16L gbam(first time spraying) I dey see effect in two days
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 04, 2021
Emempaul:

my boss glyphosphate resistance na still anoda matter oooo, I fit use athrazine for per_planting spraying?
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 4:07pm On Jul 04, 2021
ekerensima:

my boss glyphosphate resistance na still anoda matter oooo, I fit use athrazine for per_planting spraying?

Yes you can provided rain falls at least two day after spraying

Another chemical to go for though expensive but it's worth the buy is LAGON. THOUGH it still follow the same rules of atrazine, it is more effective
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 4:08pm On Jul 04, 2021
ekerensima:

as for elephant grass and one weed whe we dey call Awolowo(broadleaf) na for me to clear them to ankle level wait make them grow fresh again then use 250ml to 16L, works perfectly for me. I try use 220ml to 20L for waist level Awolowo, my broda Na so I take waste 2liters of glyphosphate ooooo, since then I nor wan hear anything at all,250ml for 16L gbam(first time spraying) I dey see effect in two days

This is a method I also use and is quite effective too

1 Like

Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2021
ekerensima:

experience na the best teacher ooo hw much you buy 1 carton this year?

I don't use roundup again after I jump and pass. I use other lesser known brands that are cheap and effective. I both a carton for 16k while retail price is 1.7k or 1.8k. though that was 4months ago
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 04, 2021
Emempaul:

I don't use roundup again after I jump and pass. I use other lesser known brands that are cheap and effective. I both a carton for 16k while retail price is 1.7k or 1.8k. though that was 4months ago
na my plan be that oooo as I harvest na one carton straight, I neva get any trouble with them Sha. to buy retail don taya me, at leat you pay for 10-11 and get 12
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 04, 2021
Emempaul:

This is a method I also use and is quite effective too
right now I just dey result oriented, I nor wan hear stories
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2021
Emempaul:

Yes you can provided rain falls at least two day after spraying

Another chemical to go for though expensive but it's worth the buy is LAGON. THOUGH it still follow the same rules of atrazine, it is more effective
for both pre and post emergence? what's the price per carton. but to dey try new things dey hard sometimes ooo especially when money nor long for hand
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Emempaul(m): 12:09am On Jul 05, 2021
ekerensima:
for both pre and post emergence? what's the price per carton. but to dey try new things dey hard sometimes ooo especially when money nor long for hand

Pre emergent. I don't know the price oo
But the last I use was 250ml that covers an acre went for 5k. It will successfully give 2months head start.
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 05, 2021
Emempaul:

Pre emergent. I don't know the price oo
But the last I use was 250ml that covers an acre went for 5k. It will successfully give 2months head start.
tell me something. so this pre emergence stuff actually works, i just dey follow glyphosphate like say dem swear for me
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:06am On Jul 05, 2021
Emempaul:

I read all your post on this thread, and I see you have deep insight on weed Management. Nice one sir! That detergent is new to me though, and I will try it one day.
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:21am On Jul 05, 2021
ekerensima:
tell me something. so this pre emergence stuff actually works, i just dey follow glyphosphate like say dem swear for me
herbicide like force urion, premextria, lagoon,atrazine e.t.c are selective systemic that kill seed which need some level of moisture for it to work, and once you spray it, you most not work on it! If you do you are simply render it work ineffective. IF YOU PLANT OKRA or MELONS FARMILY then spray any of those, IT WILL NOT GERMINATE. I don't encourage it uses for two or three sisters crop unless you are ready for serious manual weeding. Just one crop maybe maize, cassava,yam or cocoyam e.t.c
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by FarmTech(m): 7:45am On Jul 05, 2021
ekerensima:
na my plan be that oooo as I harvest na one carton straight, I neva get any trouble with them Sha. to buy retail don taya me, at leat you pay for 10-11 and get 12
That's the best oo. Farmers from different states shud form groups that purchase pesticides in bulk and share.

1 Like

Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 05, 2021
FarmTech:

That's the best oo. Farmers from different states shud form groups that purchase pesticides in bulk and share.
we just dey On our own, if not for Internet maybe Na only our backyard we for dey farm. I for like create thread for just pesticides, make senior men like Una show us the way
Re: How Many Liters Of Water Per Acre (herbicides) by FarmTech(m): 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2021
ekerensima:
we just dey On our own, if not for Internet maybe Na only our backyard we for dey farm. I for like create thread for just pesticides, make senior men like Una show us the way

We are all learning.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Agricultural Propagandas By The Federal Government / Order For 4G Solar PTZ CCTV Camera. No Electricity Or Cables Needed / In Need Of Pomegranate (rumman) Seedlings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.