Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,071 members, 7,807,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves (1082 Views)

Tinubu Dynasty Of Thieves: They Want To Buy A Yacht For N5b - Sowore / Buba Marwa: If Cannabis Is Legalised, Nigeria Becoming Den Of Junkies Criminals / PDP Says Presidency Under Buhari Now A Den Of Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by Shotola567: 9:49pm On Jul 02, 2021
How Agbowo Became a Den of Theives

by: Matthew Shotola

Agbowo, a neighborhood located directly across the University of Ibadan, now teeming with a colossal number of residents, has become the den of larcenists and butcherers of innocent souls. Agbowo has always been a densely populated community. However, recently there has been an upscale in the number of people residing there. This was due to the deadly virus that swept the cosmos from 2019: the Coronavirus. Thus the leadership of the University of Ibadan made it clear, before students resumed school in the last week of February 2021, that the doors of school’s hostels will not be open to any student. This was done, not out of cruelty to the students but for their safety. As a result, Agbowo courted a huge number of students who could not school from home and thus became an ephemeral hostel for many students.

I am oblivious of how safe or unsafe Agbowo was before the inundation of students in the neighborhood, but one thing remains undeniably obvious – since the massive arrival of students in the neighborhood, there has been an execrable rise in the measure of incidences of crime in the area. Students in Agbowo cannot sleep with their two eyes closed. I am concerned about the safety of all the students resident in Agbowo. It is for this reason that I write this article. Perhaps those in authority will see this and come to our rescue. Students lose their properties virtually every night. Students who do not lose their gadgets to thieves are susceptible to data theft, cyber attacks, social engineering, plus the potential for financial and reputational damage. Apart from the fact that students’ properties are being stolen at gunpoint, a few others have been killed when they resist these criminals.

In addition to all these, female students also stand the risk of being raped. It is only wise to cry out to those who can help curtail this growing menace. It is conspicuous that the olodes (local guards) and the landlords cannot curb the terrorism. How these evil men could enter a gated house and spend several hours doing mischief with no restraint from anyone remains a wonder to me? We need help. We need to be secure. Our parents worked so hard to purchase the gadgets these evil men come in the night to steal from us. We need help. Come over to Agbowo and help us!

On Wednesday, 23rd of June 2021, I was at St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Agbowo, to join my friends for the evening service. We used to worship in school but we have made St. Paul our new worship place since the school management disallowed such gathering on campus in order to prevent the spread of covid-19. While I waited for the service to begin, I sought a place to charge my phone. Then I and some others were approached by the vicar of the church – Reverend Canon Adeyemi. The vicar, like a good father, advised us to desist from ending the service late. He mentioned incidences of people who were murdered in Agbowo in recent times. It was at this point that I knew I had to play a role in seeing that Agbowo is restored to its peaceful past. Peace in Agbowo is not unachievable. However, something must be done to cut the sinews of this menace.

Virtually all students living in Agbowo have something ill to say about the security of the place. Temi, a 200L student of the University of Ibadan, living in the Morayo area of Agbowo, shared her encounter with me. Armed robbers have been to Temi’s place twice, even though she lives in a gated house. Temi had been concerned about the security of Agbowo even before moving to the place. For this reason she refused to live in houses save for the one with a gate, with the hope that it will bolster the security of the house and also stymie possible criminals’ visit. Unfortunately, Temi’s house has been visited a couple of times by robbers. These evil men were not only able to enter the compound but were also able to enter the rooms. In their last visit to Temi’s house, they carted away two laptops, several phones, #5000 and they also damaged the house. Temi told me specifically that students in Agbowo live in fear. Since the second visit of these robbers, Temi’s roommate has left the house – never to return. Temi is now frightened to the bone. She hopes that she will be protected. She hopes that she can live safely. She hopes that her dream to become a graduate of the premier university will not be thwarted. She wants to be able to sleep at night.

I make an aside. About a couple of years ago, an unforgettable experience happened to a family very close to my parent’s house. Before the break of dawn one day, we heard people talking loudly. It was a strange thing to hear people talk simultaneously at such an hour. Everyone was curious. “What could be happening?” We all asked. We learnt that a 2000 Toyota Rav-4 had been stolen. The thief came with a master key. He had opened the vehicle with this key and ignited the engine. The owner and his wife knew immediately that something was wrong. Before they could open the door of their home, the thief’s right leg was already on the throttle. They watched helplessly as their car was driven away. It was the last time they saw the vehicle. This incident led to prompt actions from the Landlord Association. They knew something had to be done to ward off any recurrence of such a horrible event.

Another student, a finalist, shared his experience with me. For security reasons, he had asked me to do away with his name and department. I name this student Godwin for the sake of this article. Godwin is back in school. There has been no case of covid-19 since students started returning to school. For this reason, the school has allowed students to return to the hostels. This has made it possible for students like Godwin, who are sick and tired of living in a neighborhood where properties and lives are not secure, to move back to the school hostel. Godwin shared his experience with me. He and his two roommates were in the room one night when some uninvited, gun-wielding, property-snatching, criminals walked into their house. According to Godwin, these men spent close to three hours on their street. Depriving students of their properties with no restraint from anyone. Someone was killed two houses away from where Godwin lived. They killed the guy because he recognized one of the robbers.

A careful reader would observe that I have said nothing about other residents of Agbowo. I did so deliberately because it appears that they are not the targeted ones. The students are. The students who have improved the economy of the place in no small way are now being recompensed with the deprivation of their properties.

A thousand page book cannot contain the experience and concerns of students resident in Agbowo. I have chosen to share the experiences of only a few students with the hope that it will goad the people in authority to attend to our concerns. Having Amotekun personnels patrolling Agbowo and its environs from 6pm till dawn will be a great step in securing lives and property in Agbowo. It will register fear in the consciousness of the perpetrators. It will be a good step in eradicating the menace.

Matthew Shotola is a student of the University of Ibadan.

https://textandpublishing.com/how-agbowo-became-a-den-of-theives/

1 Like

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by VBCampaign: 10:24pm On Jul 02, 2021
Great write up

2 Likes

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by Tobinrobin(m): 10:36pm On Jul 02, 2021
This is a wonderful write up. I heard about the high level of insecurity around Agbowo from a friend doing her masters at UI & how robbers on bike stabbed her friend that didn’t even argue with them and was quite cooperative with their requests yet they injured her. It’s so bad judging by the fact that it’s school area and lately security in Ibadan has actually been poor. I hope the governor heed this advice. The security architecture of Oyo state at the moment isn’t totally solid.

1 Like

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by Sisijetue(f): 11:33pm On Jul 02, 2021
Great Uite...you have said it all.
It has been like that for ages,don’t forget 7/7 is at the corner.
May God protect you all

1 Like

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by nairavsdollars(f): 11:45pm On Jul 02, 2021
Wake up Makinde

1 Like

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by victorDanladi: 12:51am On Jul 03, 2021
nairavsdollars:
Wake up Makinde
That guy ehn
.Na something else

I LEARNT POLICE HAS BEEN LACKADASICAL TO PROTECT OYO PEOPLE SINCE MAKINDE GAVE MONEY TO THE THUGS THAT BURNT OJOO POLICE STATION...AND NEVER REBUIKT IT

1 Like

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by Mightyability(m): 2:09am On Jul 03, 2021
The students are the causes of this insecurities,Agbowo has always been like that since 70s-80s,when cultists was oga,but around 2000s their activities where clamped down by the landlords, because most of the nuisances then where their children,it was a thorough cleaning then,since then they have been peace, but of recent it was due to the activities of cultists mostly ui students,we are praying that the school authority should just call you guys back,we are also tired. Most of this people doing this activities are not known,we don't know them but the few that are known are been deal with, teenagers are endanger species their lives are been destroy on daily basis, especially the male child.
They are been indoctrinated into various wicked vice,it took the grace of God to train a child well in agbowo,so putting the blame on the residents is false, students have done more harm to the community.

1 Like

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by dultmax(m): 7:45am On Jul 03, 2021
victorDanladi:

That guy ehn
.Na something else

I LEARNT POLICE HAS BEEN LACKADASICAL TO PROTECT OYO PEOPLE SINCE MAKINDE GAVE MONEY TO THE THUGS THAT BURNT OJOO POLICE STATION...AND NEVER REBUIKT IT

I live in Agbowo. The news of how hoodlums killed police in Iwo rd, burnt and ate them at the spot in face of cameras went viral. The police station in Ojoo was burnt to ashes...nothing happened. Do you know how two police in Bashorun were mobbed to death? Same happened to sango police station...do you think any sane policeman will intervene when hoodlums are operating.

These are the aftermath of Endsars protest...you can see the viral video of how transport workers killed Rahman at Iwo rd...security operatives didn’t even interfere...

How do you explain a Gov coming out to protest with protesters? I am yet to read anything of such in history...well, Oyo sets the pace but what I believe is Gods protection is what matters

2 Likes

Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by BassReeves: 8:23am On Jul 04, 2021
VBCampaign:
Great write up
From reading the OP write up, the early 80s then occasional driving past the famous landmark burgundy painted Agbowo Shopping Complex, springs to mind.
Re: How Agbowo Became A Den Of Thieves by Fasindo: 8:40am On Jul 04, 2021
shocked

That's Ekosodin version of Uniben.
But seems like Agbowo is still learning work from Ekosodin men.

I hope the authorities will do something before it gets out of hand

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Afghanistan Is A Lesson, Do Not Depend On America / JUST IN!!! "Ebubeagu Has Done Well Than Amotekun" - Gov. Ikpeazu / Photos: President Buhari Receives Renowned Islamic Scholar Shiekh Dahiru Usman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.