Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu (52678 Views)

Court Declares IPOB Proscription Illegal, Awards ₦8 Billion Damages To Kanu / British Govt Declines Comment On Obi’s Detention By UK Immigration / ‘London Detention’: British Govt Hasn’t Apologised To Obi - Obi/Datti Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by ijustdey: 9:46am On Jul 03, 2021
Charles Ajunwa in Lagos and Michael Olugbode in Abuja

The British Government yesterday refused to categorically accept or deny allegations that it assisted the leader of proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, with another passport after he escaped from Nigeria.

Kanu was first arrested in Nigeria on October 14, 2015, following campaigns for the Sovereign State of Biafra and arraigned for treason. He was granted bail in April 2017 but fled the country. The IPOB leader was rearrested last Sunday in an unnamed country and returned to court to continue his trial.

THISDAY, in a series of email exchanges with the British High Commission in Abuja, had requested clarifications on how the IPOB leader obtained fresh British passport.

In the most recent email, THISDAY enquired: “We need some further clarification, please. Are you saying the British government did not assist Mr. Nnamdi Kanu in procuring a new British passport? The information we have is that after escaping from Nigeria through the land borders, the British government assisted him in procuring another passport in the High Commission of one of our neighbouring countries, knowing at the time he was a fugitive running away from justice in Nigeria. Do you categorically deny the British government involvement in this? In relation to (b), are you implying that since Mr. Kanu’s trial was not in a British court, you do not reckon with the Nigerian court which impounded his passports?”

In reaction, the High Commission said in order to respond to the question, it would need to send the email to “London” because “it does not specially relate to the British High Commission in Nigeria unlike the question you clarified yesterday and which we have answered.”

Dean Hurlock of the British High Commission, after referring the enquiry to “London”, sent the reply yesterday and it read: “We are seeking clarification about the circumstances of the arrest from the Nigerian government. Our policy on issuing passports to those who are entitled to them is clear and publicly available; we are not going to discuss any individual case.”

Of course, the reply did not address the issues raised by THISDAY. Kanu could not have obtained a new British passport without the approval of the British Government.

In the earlier email, THISDAY enquired from the British High Commission: “The specific allegation we want addressed is whether the British High Commission assisted Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, whose Nigerian and British passports had been impounded by an Abuja court, in jumping bail by issuing him another British passport which he used to travel out of Nigeria and had been using to travel until his re-arrest. How could Kanu have acquired another British travel document in Nigeria without processing it at your High Commission?”

Jonathan Bacon of the British High Commission replied saying the question refers explicitly to British High Commission and that his response earlier directly addressed this allegation: “We can confirm that the British High Commission in Nigeria did not issue any travel documents for Mr Kanu. We therefore reaffirm the categorical denial sent to you yesterday. Your question (b) referred to London, hence my reply yesterday at 17:23 to say that I needed to ask London for a view on the question, and that given the time the email was sent, I might not receive a reply until the morning.”

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/07/03/british-govt-evades-thisday-enquiry-on-fresh-passport-issued-to-kanu/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by LLiKYekoba: 9:47am On Jul 03, 2021
Kanu is a mystery and an enigma.

239 Likes 16 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:
Kanu is a mystery and an enigma.

Yet was bounded like a common criminal and put in a dungeon in Nigeria grin

What an enigma grin

209 Likes 22 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by LLiKYekoba: 9:54am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

What an enigma grin

Even in the dungeon, he remains an enigma and a mystery you can't solve.

531 Likes 47 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by dometome: 9:57am On Jul 03, 2021
He is a British citizen, so the can issue him a passport. Isn't that a silly question.

268 Likes 17 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by dometome: 9:57am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

excellent

133 Likes 8 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

Yeah, mystery in Nigerian dungeon.

Can a mysterious person be caught like a common criminal?

91 Likes 12 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Monogamy: 10:03am On Jul 03, 2021
Truth is coming out gradually

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by gidgiddy: 10:06am On Jul 03, 2021
Thisday must be stupid to be asking Britain why it issued a passport to its own citizen

234 Likes 22 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by CilicMarin: 10:10am On Jul 03, 2021
This makes the likelihood Kanu making it out of prison in one piece highly impossible...

He would rot in Jail..

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 03, 2021
With all these incidents new chapter of agitation for Biafra referendum has been opened and the quest for Biafra can only get stronger...whether Nnamdi Kanu is dead or alive. Biafra will be an independent country in the near future. Fulani should concentrate to keep the Niger Delta area which I doubt will seek to have their own sovereignty the moment Biafra state emerges.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Asquare84(m): 10:14am On Jul 03, 2021
Thisday journalist did a very good job

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Biafrannuke: 10:15am On Jul 03, 2021
Maybe the British high commission didn't rate your news outfit so highly that it considered you a blog.

This day was the same paper that said KANU "now a dot in the circle" and went further to claim he was arrested in Ethiopia.

Your sister media arise news ran a breaking news that KANU was arrested in the UK by interpol.

Now you claim Kanu "jumped bail" without asking your home country why it invaded Kanu's house and killed 28 people. Instead you're bothering the British high commission over what is already spelt out in their guidelines.

129 Likes 13 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by OssyMalik: 10:17am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

What an enigma grin
even in prison, he’s far better than you in all ramifications

Zombie

161 Likes 12 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Tranquillity360: 10:18am On Jul 03, 2021
Kanu will surely win this fight.

God bless Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 03, 2021
OssyMalik:
even in prison, he’s far better than you in all ramifications

Zombie

I am a free man

I am not the claiming torture for 8 days even though i twitted before my arrest.

I am not the one claiming hunger

I am not the one in a dungeon

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Biafrannuke: 10:22am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I am a free man

I doubt.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by OssyMalik: 10:23am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I am a free man

I am not the claiming torture for 8 days even though i twitted before my arrest.

I am not the one claiming hunger

I am not the one in a dungeon
So says a certified zombie

155 Likes 12 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Tranquillity360: 10:24am On Jul 03, 2021
CilicMarin:
This makes the likelihood Kanu making it out of prison in one piece highly impossible...

He would rot in Jail..
Foolish people said more than this during his first arrest.

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by LLiKYekoba: 10:24am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Yeah, mystery in Nigerian dungeon.

Can a mysterious person be caught like a common criminal?

Mandela, Lumumba, Luther King, Ghandi et al...were all enigmas too.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

Mandela, Lumumba, Luther King, Ghandi et al...were all enigmas too.

Yeah, they were in their land fighting the fight and not traveling all over the world in designers clothes or dinning in 5 stars hotels

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Yeah, they were in their land fighting the fight and not traveling all over the world in designers clothes or dinning in 5 stars hotels

LOL....Na envy dey disturb you. For how long do u think the quest for Biafra will stay to go away? These guys will get their Biafra. Its a matter of time!

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by LLiKYekoba: 10:31am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Mandela for example travelled out of South Africa during his struggle and he wasn't wearing babariga while he fought for his people.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

Mandela for example travelled out of South Africa during his struggle and he wasn't wearing babariga while he fought for his people.

Mandela is called a terrorist by some white south Africans because he planted bombs on railway tracks.

Mandela carried arms and was trained in angola and sponsored by libya.

Nnamdi lives in London, wears designers cloth, drink fine wine and sleeps in 5 star hotels, also flies private jets, is that the life of a freedom fighter

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by LLiKYekoba: 10:45am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Mandela is called a terrorist by some white south Africans because he planted bombs on railway tracks.

Mandela carried arms and was trained in angola and sponsored by libya.

Nnamdi lives in London, wears designers cloth, drink fine wine and sleeps in 5 star hotels, also flies private jets, is that the life of a freedom fighter

Allow those who love Kanu to worry about what he wear, whether rags or designers. He will not wear your babariga and drive a 500 million naira bike like Yusuf Buhari the son of 'Mr I have-no-money-to-buy-APC-form.

He is a 21st century freedom activist with his LIFE constantly on the line and deserves every 'enjoyment' he gets. He makes sacrifices that not many can. Fighting a fulani terrorist government controlling multi-million dollar oil resources is not CHEAP.

81 Likes 11 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

Allow those who love Kanu to worry about what he wear, whether rags or designers. He will not wear your babariga and drive a 500 million naira bike like Yusuf Buhari the son of 'Mr I have-no-money-to-buy-APC-form.

He is a 21st century freedom activist with his LIFE constantly on the line and deserves every 'enjoyment' he gets. He makes sacrifices that not many can. Fighting a fulani terrorist government controlling multi-million dollar oil resources is not CHEAP.
NNAMDI KANU IS A SCAM

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by flamingREED(m): 10:49am On Jul 03, 2021
Britain suddenly married to two wives

1 Like

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Web2020: 10:51am On Jul 03, 2021
Has Buhari been able to travel to the UK? The fight is real. Let see who blink first. You cannot arrest our citizen illegally and then you come here for your medical tourism, not possible.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by LLiKYekoba: 10:51am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

NNAMDI KANU IS A SCAM

Your opinion is irrelevant anyway as a fulani. Millions who already buy what he sells do not really care about your opinion and I'm sure you already know that.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

Your opinion is irrelevant anyway as a fulani. Millions who already buy what he sells do not really care about your opinion and I'm sure you already know that.

That is because they are brainwashed.

You can't stop brainwashed people, it is a waste of time, even if you show them the truth, they will attack and kill you, there is no cure for them.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by LLiKYekoba: 10:58am On Jul 03, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

That is because they are brainwashed.

You can't stop brainwashed people, it is a waste of time, even if you show them the truth, they will attack and kill you, there is no cure for them.

You call it 'Brainwashed' because his principles leave a bitter taste in your mouth as fulani.
They call it 'Facts' as everything he says packs a punch of 'truism' that are difficult to debunk.
Different strokes.

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: British Govt Evades THISDAY Enquiry On Fresh Passport Issued To Kanu by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 03, 2021
LLiKYekoba:

You call it 'Brainwashed' because his principles leave a bitter taste in your mouth as fulani.
They call it 'Facts' as everything he says packs a punch of 'truism' that are difficult to debunk.
Different strokes.

Brainwashed people don't know the difference between facts and lies.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Got N260k Loan To Build His House In 1984 (Throwback Photo) / Coalition Of #EndSARS Protest Groups Lists 7 New Objectives / 'It's Insulting To Come To Lagos By Night Bus, Grow Here, Then Abuse Our State'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.