Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Slain Corpers: Our Hope Of Better Living Is Dashed, Parent Laments - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Slain Corpers: Our Hope Of Better Living Is Dashed, Parent Laments (801 Views)

Going Back To My Parent's After POP / FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members / Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Slain Corpers: Our Hope Of Better Living Is Dashed, Parent Laments by darkfishet: 3:20pm On May 09, 2011
Gbongan (Osun) – Pa Rufus Gbenjo, 73, and Madam Sarah Gbenjo, 71, parents of Ebenezer, one of the NYSC members slain in the post-election violence in Bauchi on April 18, say that their hope of better living have been dashed.

They said on Sunday that they had looked up to Ebenezer as the `messiah’ of the family.

At the home of the late Ebenezer at Isale Obada area in Gbongan, headquarters of Ayedaada Local Government Area of Osun, the parents were still in deep sorrow and in anguish.

According to Madam Sarah Gbenjo, Ebenezer, the last child of the family, and his immediate elder sister, Funmilade, were the two graduates produced by the family.

“The two are the promising children among the five children of my union with Pa Rufus Gbenjo, a retired driver from the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.

“Two of our children are deaf and dumb, while the third one is a photographer and they all  depend on us for survival, despite our poor state of living.

“Funmilade who graduated with masters degree since 2006, has no job.

“Ebenezer was always consoling us; assuring us that an end would soon come to our poverty; promising to cater for the other siblings who are handicapped,” Madam Gbenjo explained.

The parents appealed to the government to assist the family by giving Funmilade a job to enable her to cater for the family’s needs.

Ebenezer was a graduate of Economic Education from the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State.

He was serving in Tafawa Balewa Local Government Area in the state, where he was recruited as one of the electoral officers by the INEC and posted to Giade town where he was during the post-election violence.

According to Funmilade, the deceased’s sister, Ebenezer and other youth corps members met their death at the Giade Police Station where they sought refuge when the violence broke out.

But were not protected as they were attacked and killed by the rioters.

She wondered why the police whose primary duty was the protection of lives and property could not save the lives of his brother and other slain corpers.

She appealed to President Goodluck Jonathan not to allow the perpetrators of the crime to go unpunished, lamenting that the demise of her brother had added to her burden.

“I looked up to Ebenezer as my companion who would support me in taking care of our aged parents but he has gone; left me to face the task alone without a job,”she lamented.

Meanwhile, Mr Adeniji Adesiyan, the elder brother to the late Jelili Adeniji, the second slain corp member from the area, has urged the security agents to fish out those responsible for the killing of the NYSC members.

According to Adeniji, only the prosecution and conviction of the killers will reduce the pain and shock inflicted by Jelili’s death.

Jelili, a banking and finance graduate, from Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, was killed at the Corpers’ Lodge in Bauchi by the rioters.

The bereaved brother worried about the health of his aged mother, which had deteriorated immediately she heard the news of Jelili’s death.

Ebenezer was buried on Monday, May 2, at Saint Peter’s Anglican Church Cemetary, Oke Apata, Gbongan, after a church service while Jelili was buried on May 3, according to Muslim rites in his father’s compound at Isale-Oja area of the town, about 500 meters away from Ebenezer’s compound, amidst tears.

The presiding priest of St. Peters Church, Rev Oladayo Olaniran, called on the Federal Government to compensate the families of the slain corpers and to ensure that the killers faced justice.

The two burial services attracted the state’s Deputy Governor, Mrs Grace Laoye-Tomori, the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Moshood Adeoti and the Chief of Staff to the Governor, Mr Gboyega Oyetola.

The Osun Head of Service, Elder Segun Akinwusi and Mrs Clara Babatunde, NYSC South-West zonal coordinator, who represented the Director-General of NYSC, Brig. Gen Ismaila Tsiga, were among dignitaries who attended the burial services.

Laoye-Tomori, who spoke on behalf of Gov. Rauf Aregbesola, at the burial of the duo promised that the state government would assist the families of the slain corps members.

She described the late corps members  as national heroes, who died in the course of national assignment.

She also used the occasion to thank President Goodluck Jonathan for his concern for members of the bereaved families. (NAN)

http://darkfishent.com/Home/slain-corpers-our-hope-of-better-living-is-dashed-parent-laments
Re: Slain Corpers: Our Hope Of Better Living Is Dashed, Parent Laments by playmode(m): 5:19pm On May 09, 2011
Has Jonathan done anything to help the families of these slain NYSC Members?

IF this was a civilized country,the families would have banded together to form a group.Many top notch lawyers would have volunteered to represent and they would have sued:

INEC
The Federal Government of Nigeria
The state government of each state where this mayhem occurred
The Nigerian Police Force
The National Security Agency
The SSS

They could have sued the above named bodies for a collective sum of $100 Million or more.

But as usual Nigeria a sh*thole with no hope or justice of the ordinary man.

Jonathan whose mandate these brave youngsters were trying to protect did not even bother much about them.As soon as he was announced the winner of the elections,he flew his lazy and unconcerned a.z.z to OBUDU ranch.

If i was his shoes ,i would read the name of those youngsters killed and announce a public holiday to mark their deaths.I would have also shown the faces of some the parents so that the perpetrators can see who their devilish acts have affected.Most importantly ,i would have set up a Government backed fund to support the families of this youngsters financially.Instead Jonathan will waste money by sending ex-militants to go and enjoy an all expense paid holiday in SA.

Not surprising since this is Nigeria we are talking about.The land of the dark ,where darkness leads and darkness prevails.Such a huge shame for a country that purports to be the giant of Africa.

(1) (Reply)

Nysc/nccf / Urgent Assistance!!! / GETTING CONNECTED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.