Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,069 members, 7,807,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write (35507 Views)

If U Say U Are An Intelectual! And You Have Not Read This Book U Are Jonzing / Can I Still Go Back And Write My Carry Over After 2 Years? / 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 04, 2021
e better the guy goan learn work.. least his good English will help him in that area

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by ofiko123(m): 6:38pm On Jul 04, 2021
How is that even possible??

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by OB3344(m): 6:38pm On Jul 04, 2021
Speaks English fluently, but can't read nor write , nor be JUJU be that ??!

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by israelmao(m): 6:39pm On Jul 04, 2021
There's nothing that can be made possible by continuous self-development.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Raychee(f): 6:39pm On Jul 04, 2021
Hmmn. So sad. Must be dyslexia. He needs a special tutor

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by nenyeRitta(f): 6:39pm On Jul 04, 2021
this somehow funny

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Xbee007(m): 6:41pm On Jul 04, 2021
temitope27:
That's what happens to most kid when their parents speak English to them without teaching them how to read and write, they taught success is by speaking English
They have reading disorder, that is all.

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by ryd3(m): 6:42pm On Jul 04, 2021
temitope27:
That's what happens to most kid when their parents speak English to them without teaching them how to read and write, they taught success is by speaking English

*thought.

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by geunik(m): 6:42pm On Jul 04, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Please, help me to help a friend.

I have tried everything possible within my capacity to help this guy but to no avail.
My friend is 22 and currently in one of the federal polytechnic here in Nigeria. This guy can speak good english well but the problem is he can not read nor write, the only thing he can write down is his name and Reg. No.

Last year, before first semester exam. I noticed that this guy is always avoiding conversation that involves reading or studying. I never saw him read, not even once. We are neighbours and friends.

I just decided to take it upon myself to find out what was wrong as I know, he is a good person but hiding something. So I offered to be helping him with his assignments and handout summary to my amazement the guy find it hard to read what I smartly asked him to. He refused to admit that he can't read, probably he was a shame to admit it, so I let him be.

He, then finally opens up to me about him not been able to read and write. Of course, this was after first semesters exam and I had to perster him before he was able to tell me of his secret. How have you been writing the exam then? I asked, he said "I submit blank paper" when the result came out he had 6 COs (carry overs).

Again, I offered to help. I did all his assignments, encourage him to write something in all his test, He improved on his CA and others except for reading as I told him to at list write some thing down.even if it means coping from someone siting next to him without getting caught, I'm not encouraging exam malpractice but he needed help urgently.

Now here's my major challenge and concern, Since January this year, I have used Queen's Premier, used other English materials, vowel and consonant sound

The only thing he's been able to read are just few two letter words. Thought I was the problem, so I lied to a friend who happens to be a lecturer that the guy needs help, and that he's finding it hard to understand his books. The lecturer agreed to help but later told the guy not to come again as the guy is still not getting any thing.

Please, help.... the guy want to learn but I don't know what exactly could be the problem.

Inputs please, I anticipate your wise advice.
Thanks.

Record the lecture. Download video and audio and let him listen to them. But the writing part is a problem. Even if he understands the lecture audio and videos, putting them into writing is a must and most important

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Commentor: 6:43pm On Jul 04, 2021
There's a guy on Nairaland that can't do any.

His work is to cancel whatever anyone's written.

7 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Judolisco(m): 6:43pm On Jul 04, 2021
Ask him if he can write his name and surname... Then start from there.. It will be difficult though..but not impossible

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Odior1023(m): 6:44pm On Jul 04, 2021
You Wey See That Kind Thing Befor Na You Dull Pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by CasNova: 6:44pm On Jul 04, 2021
Interesting story.

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by searchhussein(m): 6:45pm On Jul 04, 2021
He has watches too many movies

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by deewhydoski(m): 6:45pm On Jul 04, 2021
Volkswagen90:
Olu is not fair o,so u bring my matter here,don't ever come to me again,i don't need ur help,so u don't know I dey nairaland.
But then talk say u no sabi read and write naw

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Ferdinandu(m): 6:47pm On Jul 04, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Please, help me to help a friend.

I have tried everything possible within my capacity to help this guy but to no avail.
My friend is 22 and currently in one of the federal polytechnic here in Nigeria. This guy can speak good english well but the problem is he can not read nor write, the only thing he can write down is his name and Reg. No.

Last year, before first semester exam. I noticed that this guy is always avoiding conversation that involves reading or studying. I never saw him read, not even once. We are neighbours and friends.

I just decided to take it upon myself to find out what was wrong as I know, he is a good person but hiding something. So I offered to be helping him with his assignments and handout summary to my amazement the guy find it hard to read what I smartly asked him to. He refused to admit that he can't read, probably he was a shame to admit it, so I let him be.

He, then finally opens up to me about him not been able to read and write. Of course, this was after first semesters exam and I had to perster him before he was able to tell me of his secret. How have you been writing the exam then? I asked, he said "I submit blank paper" when the result came out he had 6 COs (carry overs).

Again, I offered to help. I did all his assignments, encourage him to write something in all his test, He improved on his CA and others except for reading as I told him to at list write some thing down.even if it means coping from someone siting next to him without getting caught, I'm not encouraging exam malpractice but he needed help urgently.

Now here's my major challenge and concern, Since January this year, I have used Queen's Premier, used other English materials, vowel and consonant sound

The only thing he's been able to read are just few two letter words. Thought I was the problem, so I lied to a friend who happens to be a lecturer that the guy needs help, and that he's finding it hard to understand his books. The lecturer agreed to help but later told the guy not to come again as the guy is still not getting any thing.

Please, help.... the guy want to learn but I don't know what exactly could be the problem.

Inputs please, I anticipate your wise advice.
Thanks.

Your friend has dyslexia. People with that can still be very intelligent unfortunately our educational system is backward to be able to cater for people with such

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by xandy84: 6:48pm On Jul 04, 2021
Forget school. A former classmate in Unilag could not read or write and still graduate with 3rd class. She bring someone to write exams from first year to 4th year and sometimes, she just submit answer scripts without writing her name on it. Poo happen in life

taiwotimitt:
How possible is this?
How did he manage to gain admission?
Only God knows that school

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by bolousadex: 6:54pm On Jul 04, 2021
It's a disorder. I have forgotten what they call it but I guessed it can be tackled. First, he needs a psychologist to diagnose and help on what could be the best solution

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by barinedan(m): 6:55pm On Jul 04, 2021
He cannot read, he cannot write but he's in a high institution, that's a miracle indeed. How did he pass SSCE or UTME? Which God is he serving?

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Sterope(f): 6:55pm On Jul 04, 2021
He probably has a learning disorder.

lambszy:

yes, I agree with you.

The same and more questions I have also asked him and he said something about not knowing how he passed WAEC but as for JAMB, he did the computer base JAMB, picked any options he feels is right. then scored 145.

As for the admission, his family friend helped in working out the admission into the polytechnic.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by matm: 6:56pm On Jul 04, 2021
Common problem among private school students and those who grew in English speaking environment.
They speak good English but make a lot of mistakes when it comes to essay writing.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by drakeli: 6:57pm On Jul 04, 2021
Volkswagen90:
Olu is not fair o,so u bring my matter here,don't ever come to me again,i don't need ur help,so u don't know I dey nairaland.
. Haaaaaas!!!!! But you can’t read na. How you fit read say Na your matter dey here grin angry grin grin
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 6:57pm On Jul 04, 2021
Dyslexia.

He need a professional. Not his fault
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by 6ixT8: 6:58pm On Jul 04, 2021
This is obviously dyslexia and learning disability.

His parent should have enrolled him into special school.
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by hopilo: 7:00pm On Jul 04, 2021
taiwotimitt:
How possible is this?
How did he manage to gain admission?
Only God knows that school
Possible as l get senior cousin if A big as this forum he can’t read and write but good orator and he use it to scam big ladies those days and l keep wondering how he did that
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by MrNipplesLover(m): 7:01pm On Jul 04, 2021
Many people are like that...

Some can speak like Queen of England but with a poor reading and writing.

Some can write properly but to speak am like this, u go think say na village aboki dey talk ni.

I see some so called university grads that they can verbally destroy u with English but very annoying when they write... Damn! Very annoying, like shey dem no dey see say dem dey make errors ni?
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Angelawhite(m): 7:01pm On Jul 04, 2021
I had a Corper friend I met during my NYSC that didn’t know how to read or write
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by SalauBabaa: 7:02pm On Jul 04, 2021
hjkhv

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UNN Student Creates A Motorcycle From Palm Fronds And Fibre / Mohammed Idiagbon: "Envious Colleagues Set Me Up" - UNILORIN Lecturer Says / The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.