Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,526 members, 7,801,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write (35479 Views)

If U Say U Are An Intelectual! And You Have Not Read This Book U Are Jonzing / Can I Still Go Back And Write My Carry Over After 2 Years? / 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by saxha: 9:46pm On Jul 04, 2021
OlayemiAshraf:
He might have "reading disorder "

He's probably from South South. Many of their villagers can even speak good English, but to read and write, mba.
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by FORWARDEVERLY: 9:50pm On Jul 04, 2021
Tomorrow now, if we say poly graduates cannot and should not be compared to Uni graduates..
Una go start to Wail...
Oh.. I remember back then, for those of us that went to Fed Uni, if you no get 200 you no go even near school gate for Aptitude test..
And you no fit use guess work score 200 above for jamb. Quote me anywhere anyday..
Op, you friend should go back to Primary 5

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by UGBE634: 9:53pm On Jul 04, 2021
temitope27:
That's what happens to most kid when their parents speak English to them without teaching them how to read and write, they taught success is by speaking English
*thought*
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by ggoldmine: 9:53pm On Jul 04, 2021
He's probably dyslexic.

lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Please, help me to help a friend.

I have tried everything possible within my capacity to help this guy but to no avail.
My friend is 22 and currently in one of the federal polytechnic here in Nigeria. This guy can speak good english well but the problem is he can not read nor write, the only thing he can write down is his name and Reg. No.

Last year, before first semester exam. I noticed that this guy is always avoiding conversation that involves reading or studying. I never saw him read, not even once. We are neighbours and friends.

I just decided to take it upon myself to find out what was wrong as I know, he is a good person but hiding something. So I offered to be helping him with his assignments and handout summary to my amazement the guy find it hard to read what I smartly asked him to. He refused to admit that he can't read, probably he was a shame to admit it, so I let him be.

He, then finally opens up to me about him not been able to read and write. Of course, this was after first semesters exam and I had to perster him before he was able to tell me of his secret. How have you been writing the exam then? I asked, he said "I submit blank paper" when the result came out he had 6 COs (carry overs).

Again, I offered to help. I did all his assignments, encourage him to write something in all his test, He improved on his CA and others except for reading as I told him to at list write some thing down.even if it means coping from someone siting next to him without getting caught, I'm not encouraging exam malpractice but he needed help urgently.

Now here's my major challenge and concern, Since January this year, I have used Queen's Premier, used other English materials, vowel and consonant sound

The only thing he's been able to read are just few two letter words. Thought I was the problem, so I lied to a friend who happens to be a lecturer that the guy needs help, and that he's finding it hard to understand his books. The lecturer agreed to help but later told the guy not to come again as the guy is still not getting any thing.

Please, help.... the guy want to learn but I don't know what exactly could be the problem.

Inputs please, I anticipate your wise advice.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 04, 2021
temitope27:
That's what happens to most kid when their parents speak English to them without teaching them how to read and write, they taught success is by speaking English
I have an iota of misgiving with that sir as I find it hard to find a correlation. Even the children of pepper sellers who barely have time for their children can read, write and speak effectively. Yet they do not speak English to their wards but in their native language.
Now it could mean the guy has some disabilities he isn't aware of.

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Equity15(m): 10:03pm On Jul 04, 2021
Mutemenot:
I have a similar experience with a room mate then, he's a handsome and well loved guy.. he speaks better but my guy would walk pass his name if written in capital letters.... He uses Google voice to read messages... thanks to voice note, that is his no one saviour, I once asked him to explain yo me what the pro is...He told me he performed well in his secondary sch.... both in reading n writing but suddenly the knowledge disappeared ..
now this is mysterious

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Elidrisy20: 10:07pm On Jul 04, 2021
Carry over and withdraw will help him better
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 04, 2021
FORWARDEVERLY:
Tomorrow now, if we say poly graduates cannot and should not be compared to Uni graduates..
Una go start to Wail...
Oh.. I remember back then, for those of us that went to Fed Uni, if you no get 200 you no go even near school gate for Aptitude test..
And you no fit use guess work score 200 above for jamb. Quote me anywhere anyday..
Guy always calm down when it comes to argument between polytechnics and universities.

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by trevorhorace(m): 10:13pm On Jul 04, 2021
lambszy:

Thanks.
I appreciate, I will do just that. A friend of mine suggested it to me too, talking about a learning difficulties.

He learnt by Imitation. The same way locals learnt their languages without even knowing how to read and write. The same way little kids learnt how to speak. He doesn't have a good educational foundation. He has to start from the basics

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by FORWARDEVERLY: 10:16pm On Jul 04, 2021
eniolaamos7:

Guy always calm down when it comes to argument between polytechnics and universities.

LMFAO
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by UGBE634: 10:16pm On Jul 04, 2021
cybriz82:
maywheather got money,speak good English but cnt read n write...them full yankee many of them are good in speaking good English but cnt read.
Mayweather own na too much blow to the head cause am

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by GreaterFuture(m): 10:17pm On Jul 04, 2021
HenryDion:

Meaning, I'm yet to see that male specimen that measures up. That, however, doesn't mean it doesn't exist!!!

Grasp now?
Ok, and if you see, you may feel attracted romantically
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Geoboi: 10:27pm On Jul 04, 2021
DMCY:

@OP, please read up on dyslexia a little that might be his problem.
PREPOSTEROUS
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2021
GreaterFuture:

Ok, and if you see, you may feel attracted romantically

Anything is possible...
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by lambszy(m): 10:44pm On Jul 04, 2021
Thanks.

geunik:

Record the lecture. Download video and audio and let him listen to them. But the writing part is a problem. Even if he understands the lecture audio and videos, putting them into writing is a most
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by ImaIma1(f): 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2021
temitope27:

Is it parents that teach children tonread and write? What is school there for? I am sure the guy went through nursery, primary school...etc.

He obviously has a disorder

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by tosheeba(m): 10:49pm On Jul 04, 2021
[quote author=CeokRicchezza post=103354288]Do you know phonics? If you don't, try to read up on phonics and study the 42 sounds and use that to teach him how to read. Queen premier won't help him at all. All you need is a good instructor or yourself that can explain how sounds works. From there, he will be able to pick words by listening to the sounds[/quotes

I can do this for him if he’s in Lagos or what state is he? I’ve taught few students on how to read and write and including the low syndrome ones . I’m an education graduate back then in 2016 . I served in the north where I taught few Hausas student on how to read and write , they only speak and write in Arabic before I met them, I engaged them and everything changed but it’s a tough one though .

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by lambszy(m): 10:52pm On Jul 04, 2021
Guy... No be so,
Relax. na because of arguments like this na em dey make people like my friend dey die in silence.
This kind energy no go help

Thanks anyway.
FORWARDEVERLY:
Una go start to Wail...
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by FORWARDEVERLY: 10:58pm On Jul 04, 2021
lambszy:
Guy... No be so,
Relax. na because of arguments like this na em dey make people like my friend dey die in silence.
This kind energy no go help

Thanks anyway.

Well, I didn't say it to Mock poly graduates..
I just stated known FACTS..
As for your friend, first of all, he needs to be willing to learn, cos if he is not, then anything you are doing to help him can not be appreciated and is dead on arrival..
If he is willing, then teach him and be strict on the routine..
He would adjust and improve with time..
All the best to him and you.
Cheers..

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by God2man2again(m): 11:13pm On Jul 04, 2021
He needs self discipline to master the act of writing and reading.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Kingsleystunner(m): 11:24pm On Jul 04, 2021
I have a friend like that who can speak English frequently but can't read that much and can't write that much also,
But e dey do Yahoo and he dey collect well well so what am saying is no be everybody wey go school know book ��
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by chi4ik4(m): 11:39pm On Jul 04, 2021
Thank you for your efforts bro. Your friend is living with the following:

1. Dyslexia: difficulty with reading and comprehension

2. Dysgraphia: difficulty with writing.

Solution: seek for special education services as soon as possible or you can reach me on 08064883627. I can design structured literacy programs that help your friend's literacy skills.

I'm a Speech Therapist based in Abuja and I can help you for free.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Phantom2(m): 11:39pm On Jul 04, 2021
maybe he has dyslexia �
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by MrMacinterchi1: 11:50pm On Jul 04, 2021
oluwafreshkid:
You ever heard of dyslexia?
this one pass dyslexia o.
If it's it, he couldn't have been here except if he was just being promoted even after failing. That's just the reasonable explanation to this .
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by divineappo(m): 11:51pm On Jul 04, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

I have tried everything possible within my capacity to help this guy but to no avail.
My friend is 22 and currently in one of the federal polytechnic here in Nigeria. This guy can speak good english well but the problem is he can not read nor write, the only thing he can write down is his name and Reg. No.

Last year, before first semester exam. I noticed that this guy is always avoiding conversation that involves reading or studying. I never saw him read, not even once. We are neighbours and friends.

I just decided to take it upon myself to find out what was wrong as I know, he is a good person but hiding something. So I offered to be helping him with his assignments and handout summary to my amazement the guy find it hard to read what I smartly asked him to. He refused to admit that he can't read, probably he was a shame to admit it, so I let him be.

He, then finally opens up to me about him not been able to read and write. Of course, this was after first semesters exam and I had to perster him before he was able to tell me of his secret. How have you been writing the exam then? I asked, he said "I submit blank paper" when the result came out he had 6 COs (carry overs).

Again, I offered to help. I did all his assignments, encourage him to write something in all his test, He improved on his CA and others except for reading as I told him to at list write some thing down.even if it means coping from someone siting next to him without getting caught, I'm not encouraging exam malpractice but he needed help urgently.

Now here's my major challenge and concern, Since January this year, I have used Queen's Premier, used other English materials, vowel and consonant sound

The only thing he's been able to read are just few two letter words. Thought I was the problem, so I lied to a friend who happens to be a lecturer that the guy needs help, and that he's finding it hard to understand his books. The lecturer agreed to help but later told the guy not to come again as the guy is still not getting any thing.

Please, help.... the guy want to learn but I don't know what exactly could be the problem.

Thanks.

this guy is from the North, no doubt

In northern higher institutions, there are lots of them there, students in 300, 400-500 level, that can't speak English

Funny enough, some can speak and can't read/write.

While some can't speak, but they can read and write

Above all, how we got to share same geographical territory with these people, still beats my imagination

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by comfort91: 11:57pm On Jul 04, 2021
Had it been he is in jos, 6 month to 1year is more than enough for me to coach him by God Grace. All my kids started spelling and reading at age 4. 09034706238

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by comfort91: 12:02am On Jul 05, 2021
Had it been he is in jos, 6 months to A year is more than enough for me to coach him. 09034706238

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Grandkay21(m): 12:21am On Jul 05, 2021
Odumeje is recommended
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Gambit23: 12:36am On Jul 05, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Thanks.

Meet a primary school English teacher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by chukxie(m): 12:37am On Jul 05, 2021
If your friend can write text / chat messages on his phone; recognizes auto-corrections then his reading and writing difficulties are half solved. He needs to be serious about helping himself and every other things will fall in place.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by lambszy(m): 1:02am On Jul 05, 2021
cool

FORWARDEVERLY:

Well, I didn't say it to Mock poly graduates..
I just stated known FACTS..
As for your friend, first of all, he needs to be willing to learn, cos if he is not, then anything you are doing to help him can not be appreciated and is dead on arrival..
If he is willing, then teach him and be strict on the routine..
He would adjust and improve with time..
All the best to him and you.
Cheers..
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by lambszy(m): 1:07am On Jul 05, 2021
@tosheeba
He is In the North.
[quote author=tosheeba post=103374261][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ICPC Rescued Female Student Who Had Spent 12 Years On Campus / Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils / CRUTECH Student 'Ford' Murdered On Campus By Phone Snatchers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.