Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write (35509 Views)

If U Say U Are An Intelectual! And You Have Not Read This Book U Are Jonzing / Can I Still Go Back And Write My Carry Over After 2 Years? / 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Alkason: 6:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
bigtt76:
He needs to listen and watch more YouTube English Language training videos. You can search for those that will enable him read along and also get a notebook with which he can also be writing down what is being taught in the videos. That way he practices both reading comprehension and writing.

Why I asked if he was a born again is because jokes apart, they rarely want to read or study anything other than the Bible or listen to language training videos but would rather spend hours listening to their pastors and read the Bible. Not that it's not good but most times these pastors don't use the correct tenses while preaching and you latch on it. Then again the Bible (aside from the New English Version) is written in old English format.

Your friend needs to dedicate more time to this and trust me he will be better off within the shortest possible time. All the best and God bless you for assisting him.

You got it right about most born again having this issue but you got it wrong on the cause of it. To be sincere,I do not know the reasons,it's something strange but certainly not about listening to pastors and reading only the Bible etc.
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by siofra(f): 8:58am On Jul 06, 2021
Functional illiterates, they are everywhere sadly our world today has allowed them to fester.
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Gbengageorge: 3:30pm On Jul 09, 2021
Not to be too harsh, but he is not supposed to be there in the first place. Something like happened in one NYSC camp, and it was discovered that the lecturer, who was her boyfriend arranged her passage through Polytechnic. The only thing you can do for him is to arrange evening class for him to learn how to write. Employ someone to teach him.

lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Please, help me to help a friend.

I have tried everything possible within my capacity to help this guy but to no avail.
My friend is 22 and currently in one of the federal polytechnic here in Nigeria. This guy can speak good english well but the problem is he can not read nor write, the only thing he can write down is his name and Reg. No.

Last year, before first semester exam. I noticed that this guy is always avoiding conversation that involves reading or studying. I never saw him read, not even once. We are neighbours and friends.

I just decided to take it upon myself to find out what was wrong as I know, he is a good person but hiding something. So I offered to be helping him with his assignments and handout summary to my amazement the guy find it hard to read what I smartly asked him to. He refused to admit that he can't read, probably he was a shame to admit it, so I let him be.

He, then finally opens up to me about him not been able to read and write. Of course, this was after first semesters exam and I had to perster him before he was able to tell me of his secret. How have you been writing the exam then? I asked, he said "I submit blank paper" when the result came out he had 6 COs (carry overs).

Again, I offered to help. I did all his assignments, encourage him to write something in all his test, He improved on his CA and others except for reading as I told him to at list write some thing down.even if it means coping from someone siting next to him without getting caught, I'm not encouraging exam malpractice but he needed help urgently.

Now here's my major challenge and concern, Since January this year, I have used Queen's Premier, used other English materials, vowel and consonant sound

The only thing he's been able to read are just few two letter words. Thought I was the problem, so I lied to a friend who happens to be a lecturer that the guy needs help, and that he's finding it hard to understand his books. The lecturer agreed to help but later told the guy not to come again as the guy is still not getting any thing.

Please, help.... the guy want to learn but I don't know what exactly could be the problem.

Inputs please, I anticipate your wise advice.
Thanks.

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by peppo4live: 3:58pm On Jul 09, 2021
Spiritual attack is at work

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UNN Student Creates A Motorcycle From Palm Fronds And Fibre / Mohammed Idiagbon: "Envious Colleagues Set Me Up" - UNILORIN Lecturer Says / OAU Sacks Professor Richard Akindele Over Sex For Mark Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.