Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,389 members, 7,781,117 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:16 AM

Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? (9884 Views)

What Is Your Advice About Improving Our Economy ? / The Co*k-And-Bull Story Of The FG On Smuggled $9.3m to SA - Festus Keyamo / New Face Of The Remodelled Benin Airport. Who Says The FG Is Not Working. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by johnie: 4:27pm On May 09, 2011
In the past one week, the vice president has visited two of the National Integrated Power Plants (Olorunsogo and Sapele).

It is reported that two hundred megawatts from the first phase of the Olorunsogo plant have already been injected into the national grid. The second phase is expected to generate 750 megawatts on completionin November 2011.  However 375 megawatts from three turbines of the plant would be ready for injection into the national grid within the next two months.

Briefing newsmen after the inspection of the Sapele plant , the vice president said about 250MW of the project is being  test-run and ready to be added to the national grid this month, while the remaining 200MW would be ready by July.

The Olorunsogo and Sapele projects are in addition to other ongoing NIPPs which are Omotosho, Ondo State; Ihovbo, Edo State; Alaoje, Abia State; Egbema, Imo State; Gbaran, Bayelsa State; Calabar, Cross River State; Omoku, Rivers State; and Geregu, Kogi State.

What strikes me is that these visits came after the elections. If they had come before the elections, I would have thought they were  mere publicity stunts.

What do you think?

News Sources:   http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=33319&print=1

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/93654-fg-to-deliver-additional-750mw-of-electricity-in-nov.html?print

http://www.nigerianews24.com/articles/sambo-assures-on-power-projects
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Greycells(m): 4:34pm On May 09, 2011
I have confidence in the Power Sector Roadmap unveiled by GEJ. You can visit businessday website to see technical stuff being done on reforming the power sector. They brought financiers (local and international), power sector players from other emerging econmies and the regulators (NERC, BPE etc) together through the last edition of the Annual Power Conference in Lagos.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by johnie: 7:30pm On May 09, 2011
Enyojo, let's have your inputs here, please.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Beaf: 8:06pm On May 09, 2011
What strikes me is that these visits came after the elections. If they had come before the elections, I would have thought they were mere publicity stunts.

What do you think?

There is also a clear timetable for when and how many MW will be added to the national grid. 850 MW is scheduled for the end of this month, so we can be pretty confident that we now have a govt thats serious about tackling the issues of power supply.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by efisher(m): 8:09pm On May 09, 2011
I strongly believe FG is sincerely serious about giving Power to the People. Everything points in the direction of stable power supply. FG really has no choice.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by blacksta(m): 8:18pm On May 09, 2011
Na inside darkness we dey and they watch - posterity will judge simple as abc - if they like - let them visit power station - actually it will better if they take resident there
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 09, 2011
I am fucking tired of all this bullshit about megawatts and crap, right now I spend huge funds on generators and and I am fucking tired of megawatt stories, all I want is for them to privatize the sector and let private players from other countries do the needful. I didnt vote for Jonathan to control power sector, cos himself has never seen 24hrs power in his life. Let the foreign companies bid for it and start it and the indigenous companies can learn and come in latter.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by otokx(m): 8:21pm On May 09, 2011
The FG is just chasing shadows; unless they amend the existing regulatory laws nothing will happen but they are scared. Why should we produce power via Gas for example in SAPELE and send it first to a central grid? Its the same nonsense that is worrying this country. Produce power via Gas in AFAM or UGHELLI and start using it from those towns then send any extra to other places where there may be needed.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Ekpoma1: 8:22pm On May 09, 2011
Lets be optimistic. One day e go beta!
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by blacksta(m): 8:30pm On May 09, 2011
Ekpoma1:

lol  - since 1960

when i was 4years old  - My Granddad always stated that " My generation would be the one that would enjoy Nigeria"  Fast forward 28 years  - I no get liver to make same statement to my unborn children.

I have know darkness all my life  shocked
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by cmon(m): 8:32pm On May 09, 2011
Injection here and Injection there. I just hope I'll be able to feel the effect of all these injections. How may hours light will I now be having after all these injections.  undecided

A pain in the a** perhaps. lol
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by fizokey(m): 8:34pm On May 09, 2011
GEJ has no other choice, get electricity stable- secure a re-election ticket in 2015 simple.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by queensmith: 8:36pm On May 09, 2011
The FG hasnt been serious for the past 50 years, i dont see why they'll be serious now. We shouldnt anticipate anything, neither should we respond to promises. . . . actions speak louder than words!
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by jmaine: 8:38pm On May 09, 2011
efisher:

I strongly believe FG is sincerely serious about giving Power to the People. Everything points in the direction of stable power supply. FG really has no choice.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Ekpoma1: 8:43pm On May 09, 2011
blacksta:

lol  - since 1960

when i was 4years old  - My Granddad always said that " My generation would be the one that would enjoy Nigeria"  Fast forward 28 years  - I no get liver to make same statement to my unborn children.

I have know darkness all my life  shocked
Do you know that there are places in this country that enjoy if not 24hrs at least 18hrs power supply. I still believe this era of democrazy will turn things around 4 good. GEJ is d messaih.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by member479760: 8:47pm On May 09, 2011
what you get is what you see rule not only met for html but apply to some other things in life. no grammer in power if they like let them visit million times and jurnalist it, they can't deceive us, we are still in darkness.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by member479760: 8:49pm On May 09, 2011
power is met for the whole country and not for some places only, please.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by naijaking1: 8:52pm On May 09, 2011
otokx:

The FG is just chasing shadows; unless they amend the existing regulatory laws nothing will happen but they are scared. Why should we produce power via Gas for example in SAPELE and send it first to a central grid? Its the same nonsense that is worrying this country. Produce power via Gas in AFAM or UGHELLI and start using it from those towns then send any extra to other places where there may be needed.

You said it all shocked
Until the goverment privatizes the power sector like OBJ privatised telephones, there is no hope in sight. You can use 100% our budget to build IPPs if you like, but with lack of maintainance and management culture in Nigeria, these companies will simply run aground within a few years.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Ekpoma1: 8:57pm On May 09, 2011
nakedall:

power is met for the whole country and not for some places only, please.
You are right. But the fact is that power can't be in all the whole place. Can u pls digest that into ur skull?
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Abayomin70(m): 9:03pm On May 09, 2011
We all kip hearing story all d time
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by kabarka(m): 9:10pm On May 09, 2011
Injection or no injection
we are still in darkness.

A transformer was mounted and in less one month broke down. It was replace only to break down again.

Now after all these INJECTION,which medium(transformer) go transmit am
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by reindeer: 9:13pm On May 09, 2011
Bla bla bla. . .injection etc
How many of you are loggin on with power in your homes right now?
dem don monkey you cheesy
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by hercules07: 9:21pm On May 09, 2011
We heard that the power sector is to be privatised yet the government is building power plants, are they building the plants to hand them over to their cronies?
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Eforce1: 9:26pm On May 09, 2011
blacksta:

Na inside darkness we dey and they watch - posterity will judge simple as abc - if they like - let them visit power station - actually it will better if they take resident there

LOL! Let them build a big estate there so they dont have to always visit.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by calculusx(m): 9:36pm On May 09, 2011
Before and during the Election period i celebrated 18hrs daily of un-interrupted power supply. After the Election we are back in darkness and hardly celebrate 4hrs daily power supply. It can never be better unless that sector is privatized. Our problem isn't generating the megga watts, its about distributing the megga watts as Ribadu said it during his Presidential Campaign. GEJ we are still in darkness, our vote must count
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by sulad82i(m): 9:36pm On May 09, 2011
Bit by bit hope it all falls in place for this electricity palava
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Guk: 9:40pm On May 09, 2011
Whilst one is hopeful, we should also hold our leaders accountable. It is saddening that they can blow trumpet that Multi Billions =N= spent to generate 375MW. Thats just enough to power 156,250 electric kettles & d VP is proud to blow grammar on TV about it. We are not serious, we spend too much to achieve little things & he was also proud to say the WHole President & C in C will commission in in 6 months time. Ask how much the visit of the VP & President has & will cost Nigeria. Such ceremonies shld be left to local govt chairman. Absolutely nothing to celebrate. My fear is GEJ will empty d treasury to actualise ds promise.

But on a positive note, lets be hopeful
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by UncleJJ(m): 9:46pm On May 09, 2011
Woman dey pregnant, she neva born una dey ask if na boy abi girl.

Make the pregnancy develop finsh first make we see,
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by aljharem3: 9:52pm On May 09, 2011
Ekpoma1:

Do you know that there are places in this country that enjoy if not 24hrs at least 18hrs power supply. I still believe this era of democrazy will turn things around 4 good. GEJ is d messaih.

where is the place and don't tell me abuja
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by reagand200(m): 9:54pm On May 09, 2011
OBJ deceived us for 8yrs(with Megawatt blah blah blah
Yaradua topped his 7points Agenda with Megawatt issue for 2yrs+
Now GEJ has 4 beautiful years to convince us that we are not being take for fools because one way or the order he has been part of this Megawattless Government.
NOW MY PERSONAL JUDGEMENT:  No Stable or adequate power by[b] 2014[/b] means failure and i hereby sentence erring government to to an[b] oust[/b]!Period
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by ibedun: 9:58pm On May 09, 2011
You people are part of the bleeping problem with Nigeria.

How else do you expect this monster of a problem to be solved?

Do you dead skulls know there are things called Constraints in the management of anything?

Just how do you expect the FG to resolve this problem?

Dear hopeless citizen hear this, there is no magic bullet. The problem of light will only be solved bit-by-bit. Like it or not. Trying to do it all in one go is a no-brainer and will bankrupt the FG.

Some thoughtless Nairalander suggest that foreigners should come and take control of our entire grid? This is a Nigerian problem that must be solved by Nigerians. The foreigner didnt get to where they are in one day. India still cannot supply its own power needs 100% but lightweight brains are calling for indian companies to come and feast on our grid?
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Odunnu: 10:02pm On May 09, 2011
Ekpoma1:

very very very soon e go beta. As a matter of fact, its getting better

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? / Buhari Assured Us Of Free, Fair 2019 Polls — UN, ECOWAS / Ortom: Why I Left APC To Join PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.