Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,595 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Why The Segregation In The House Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why The Segregation In The House Of God? (296 Views)

How Tribal Segregation Is Weakling Christianity In Nigeria / Opinion: Is Bazaar In The House Of The Lord Right? / Honestly, Is Religion A Liberation Or Segregation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Segregation In The House Of God? by Gee001: 1:51pm On Jul 04, 2021
Hello Nairalanders,

So there's this trend that goes on in churches when it comes to tithing. Why do churches or Pastors see the need to give special prayers and attention to tithers; calling for tithers to step forward to the altar or stand up for prayers and then the people who gives the regular "offerings" receive general prayers.

One may argue that the tithe is a 10% offering from your salary or anything that yields money for you. Some may say bringing out this amount is bigger and can hurt you in a way but it's God's instructions for more blessings.

Yes, anybody can give "regular offerings" but not everybody can give tithes but it doesn't make the others less or not worthy of God's love cos tithers feel some sort of superiority over those who don't give. I don't blame their warped thinking cos the Pastors are solely responsible for instigating this idea in their heads because these Pastor's guilt trip members who don't pay tithes by saying all sorts. You'll hear statements like, we are not begging you for money. It's not everyone that has got even offering to pay. So many people may not even have food to eat or may not have eaten and left their homes just to find that satisfaction of being in the presence of God to thank Him for life.

Tithe or church offering, at the end of the day they are all offerings irrespective of the nomenclature used. They should stop with the segregation as it breeds contempt in the house of God.

Peace

1 Like

Re: Why The Segregation In The House Of God? by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 29, 2021
Gee001:
Hello Nairalanders,

So there's this trend that goes on in churches when it comes to tithing. Why do churches or Pastors see the need to give special prayers and attention to tithers; calling for tithers to step forward to the altar or stand up for prayers and then the people who gives the regular "offerings" receive general prayers.

One may argue that the tithe is a 10% offering from your salary or anything that yields money for you. Some may say bringing out this amount is bigger and can hurt you in a way but it's God's instructions for more blessings.

Yes, anybody can give "regular offerings" but not everybody can give tithes but it doesn't make the others less or not worthy of God's love cos tithers feel some sort of superiority over those who don't give. I don't blame their warped thinking cos the Pastors are solely responsible for instigating this idea in their heads because these Pastor's guilt trip members who don't pay tithes by saying all sorts. You'll hear statements like, we are not begging you for money. It's not everyone that has got even offering to pay. So many people may not even have food to eat or may not have eaten and left their homes just to find that satisfaction of being in the presence of God to thank Him for life.

Tithe or church offering, at the end of the day they are all offerings irrespective of the nomenclature used. They should stop with the segregation as it breeds contempt in the house of God.

Peace
And to think that they were more than 50 views on this topic of yours and none even saw the use of contributing to it. It shows how daft we are as youths these days. If it was about sex now, ah! They would have dropped their inputs like bird shit descending from the top of the empire State building. I'm talking about the speed with which they would have commented...
Just stumbled on your topic, sha. It's a good one. That segregation by the church leaders is something I've also thought to be wrong for so many years.
I'll take my time and read through again and drop my own opinion, as soon as as I'm back online.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Segregation In The House Of God? by Gee001: 11:53am On Nov 29, 2021
JerryBizz:

And to think that they were more than 50 views on this topic of yours and none even saw the use of contributing to it. It shows how daft we are as youths these days. If it was about sex now, ah! They would have dropped their inputs like bird shit descending from the top of the empire State building. I'm talking about the speed with which they would have commented...
Just stumbled on your topic, sha. It's a good one. That segregation by the church leaders is something I've also thought to be wrong for so many years.
I'll take my time and read through again and drop my own opinion, as soon as as I'm back online.

Thank you
Re: Why The Segregation In The House Of God? by LilMissFavvy(f): 1:08pm On Nov 29, 2021
You are wrong. Calling out tithers for prayers is not segregation, rather it is a need. The reason they are usually called out is to pray and bless their sources of income. A lot of tithers face challenges in their jobs or businesses, it is not easy for some, they need special prayers, so it's not wrong. In churches atimes they call out unemployed people to offer special prayers, atimes they call out pregnant women, those expecting marital breakthrough, people who are sick etc, and offer special prayers.
Re: Why The Segregation In The House Of God? by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 01, 2021
Gee001:
Hello Nairalanders,

Peace

Ok! So I am back to drop my opinion as I said I would.
Now, to me, it is not scripturally right to favour some in the church over others. It doesn't matter if the argument against what I just stated would sound something like, ' but, it's not about favouring the rich over the poor nau, as the Bible cites as an possible scenario to take place. On the contrary, this one is just making an example of those who have chosen to give their tithes. '

No. Why make others feel less of themselves in doing so? Even if that's not the sole aim of them being called out and prayed for (or is it??) The heart of man is cleverly desperate. Who knows, you might ignite the desires in others to want to give their tithes next week, so that they too could stand at the front of the church and be recognized. Don't tell me these things don't happen in our churches. undecided
We grew up seeing things. I'm different churches for that matter.

So, I don't even think people should pay their tithes openly. No need of letting others know who has paid and who hasn't. The Bible's said what?? What your left hand gives, your right should not know. It can apply to this scenario too. Pay your tithes using the envelope provided, as is the case now in most churches. The pastor should not have to then further request for those who paid to ' come forward ' for special prayers or for normal prayers. Whichever, or however they term it.

They are different ways to look at this issue you raised. But I just agree with you, in my own way, that calling people out to recognize them for giving their tithes and offerings to the full view of the congregation is not ideal for a healthy Christian Church experience. It should not be done. I don't think the early churches did this. But we live in a fallen world, so.....You know the rest.

This is my view on the subject, tho. I'm not saying it is anyone else's. But there is truth in what I just said up there. If you will drop sentiments aside, and love for your individual church practices, pastors, elders; you will see that what I said is not to mar the church but to make it a better one. Besides, tithing should not be a thing of coercion. Some churches now guilt-trip you and coerce you into paying. But God is the ultimate judge . He sees the heart. He knows who is capable and who isn't. He knows who has the desire to give but cannot give , for the time being.
It goes beyond tithing, ooh. Even a person who has never given their tithe to a church can and will still make it to heaven/paradise. You'll be shocked. Not all of them, but there is that person somewhere, who is qualified even beyond those who tithe regularly. God knows the spiritual standing of his subjects. He sees beyond the physical. We all know this, so needless of me to preach more on it.

So, that's my submission.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pastors Sends Strong Warning Messages To Buhari / [EXCLUSIVE] Satirical Liturgy: A Case For Satan [2] / If Your Wife Is Addicted To Prophets Please Go Do DNA On Your Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.