Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job - Jobs/Vacancies (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job (63303 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by nedekid: 7:18pm On Jul 05, 2021
DMerciful:
Let's just say over 30yrs
Haba, that's quite young naa, my friend left 4 years ago age 52 and he regrets not leaving earlier.
Me at 48, if I can sort out Canada, I wount mind relocating, dropping my people there, chill there for a while and then shuttle both ways. It's all for the children.

8 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Frenzy01(m): 7:19pm On Jul 05, 2021
This is a very educative post...

In the mean time.. Maybe i could advertise myself by inserting my little business.

I sell and I buy any breed of dog swiftly at a very reasonable price. I also offer boarding and pet care services. Checkout my siggy for contact info
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Apexbb: 7:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
[quote author=teelaw4life post=103394639]

You can apply and look for jobs in UAE but you must consider these Four things:

1) The people or person you through which you came into the country. (For me, it was my agent).

2) Those you surround yourself with when in the country. The people in my accommodation were top guys who kept giving me job links.

3) How much you're determined to get a job and get started. First place I worked in this country was as a cleaner at a restaurant. I wasn't picky. I applied for several jobs I'd have considered beneath me if I was in naija. I forgot about my Psychology degree and applied for every job that was beneath me.

4) Luck and God's grace.

I did not leave naija with an offer. Came in January on 3 months VIsa. Spent the first month searching online and applying for jobs.

I got one at a restaurant in Dubai where I worked for about 2 weeks. The owner said she was just test running and there was no chef so i should go back to my old accommodation to wait for her call. She wasted my time and didn't pay me a dime except 20aed to take the metro back to Ajman where i used to stay.

I got information about a conpany hiring, so I applied and they sent me a message to come for interview. I went for it, passed and got a job designation that had double the pay of the position I applied for. Now, I have my Emirates ID. I'm settled and already lookinh forward to upgrade once my probation period with this company is over.

Basically, u are IT expert abi?

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by uthlaw: 7:48pm On Jul 05, 2021
BafanaBafana:

Then stop hating.
so saying the truth is now hate...
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by pimper24: 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2021
NorthRules9ja:

Liar i travel every year to overseas…stop your hate against us

He meant "relocate". And of course only you can't prove the fact.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Apexbb: 7:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
I am enjoying this thread ooo
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by BigDawsNet: 7:59pm On Jul 05, 2021
Kemimarch16:
I can't wait to leave the country soon

Almighty God will approve your request

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Kemimarch16(f): 8:03pm On Jul 05, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Almighty God will approve your request
Amen
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Omuuvwie(m): 8:09pm On Jul 05, 2021
Muyiwaipere:
Bros I do regret my decision of leaving my job to move to UAE
why bro's please share with us so that we can learn, because I am about taking same decision
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by lastclaire4(f): 8:21pm On Jul 05, 2021
Philadelphia:

Omo, you just dey throw lies upandan.

Why didn’t his supportive family use their connections for him before he traveled to Canada?

By the way, the surest route to migration has always been via school/ education.

The terrible lies you’re padding here to support your opinion are from people who travelled illegally.

Nairalanders! grin
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by lastclaire4(f): 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Bro I'm studying currently..you don't expect me to get a full time job as developer in an Tech company with a beautiful office with also $80-$100k yearly

Our four generation were brought here to slave and I'm glad they did....

Is your country working?
The answer is NO!

Abeg let me enjoy my advance slavery ...
As soon as I'm through with my masters...

I can apply for a better standard job that suit my career....

Just that you know...my menial job+freelancer income in a month is greater than an average nnpc staff income monthly (salary) excluding if the nigga is receiving runz....

Please how are u doing it.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by MummyD2020(f): 8:29pm On Jul 05, 2021
BinamRex:

As a black man in a black nation, how safe are you?

Of the 1,126 Americans killed by the police in the US in 2020, 122 were African-Americans. The rest were whites, Asians, Latinos, Native Americans, etc.

Now, how many Nigerians are killed by the Nigerian police every year? How many Nigerians are killed by cultists, armed robbers, bandits, ritual killers etc? More Nigerians are killed in this country than we think. Some people just vanish into thin air and no investigation is carried out to ascertain what happened to them.

The reason why we are aware that blacks are killed in the US is because the killings are often reported, unlike in Nigeria.

There are 500,000 - 3,000,000 Nigerians in America. When was the last time you heard that a Nigerian was shot in America by the police?

I put it to you that you are safer in America than you are in your own country.

If you are unjustly killed in America, people will protest and demand that your killers be brought to book. If you are unjustly killed in Nigeria, you'll be forgotten in a twinkling of an eye, and if your family decides to fight for justice, the Nigerian police will make sure they milk them dry.

I recently lost my sister and we suspect that she was murdered. The autopsy was done in a different state, we had to pay the policemen's transport fare, lodge them in a hotel and fed them, as well as, gave them money when they were going back. Everything is about money. The more money you are willing to spend, the more fuel you add to the NPF's willingness to investigate a case that matters to you.

You can't compare Nigeria to the US.

Pls louder so that they can hear you from the back! Comparing abakiliki rice and foreign rice.

6 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by babajeje123(m): 8:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
Stricklybidness:

Which country are you in?
Why are you asking?
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by MummyD2020(f): 8:44pm On Jul 05, 2021
WhyNa:
Perhaps I joined this thread late but better late than never.

First, here's a brief history of my life in Naija before I moved.

The highest salary I had ever earned was 60k. That's less than 150 USD for more than 200 hours job. Even that 60k sef, I chop am only 3 times before I comot.

In 2014, when I decided to leave, I was looking at the big countries but because I couldn't afford it, I spent another 4-5 years trying various scholarships.

2019, I got tired and decided to lower my "standards". Go for a small country and work my way up. Little did I know it was a blessing in disguise.

After much research, in February 2020, I left for Vietnam to teach English. I knew from research, the least amount I could get paid was 800USD per month per 100 hours. I laughed as I had seen worse in Naija. I even got a job for 900 USD before I left but I rejected it when I got here. (There's a detailed thread of my journey to Vietnam on Nairaland)

Long story short, I got here, Vietnam surpassed my expectations and I've been climbing higher and higher since then. Go check out my thread for more info.

Now due to Covid and all, after being here for a year and 6 months and working fully for only about 8/9 months, I started thinking of moving to Canada which was my plan initially. Start small, save up, move.

Back to the drawing board....I knew moving, I had to have a very good degree that is highly sort after or a skill to survive the bills and all. The only other option was to go back to school.

I started checking out schools and fees and even though I now had enough to pay for my studies, I had to think of what NEXT after studies, the income to savings ratio and also ask myself what the other advantages are THEN compare with what I have now.

Well, I have decided to stay back here in Vietnam until for any unforeseen reasons, I decide it's time to move cos I'm wayyy more than comfortable here. Cos of living is mega cheap the highest thing I spend on is rent and my current fully furnished to the teeth one bedroom apartment is not up to 250 USD

Now before you comment about Vietnam being a poor country and all that, don't let your ignorance get the best of you. Google. Then ask yourself why even though Naija is bad, there are foreigners who are living comfortably there buying every single thing in supermarkets et all. They earn wayyyy higher than the local. It's the same story here.

So NO, I don't regret moving. It's been one year and some and I don't even miss or dream of going back to visit.

Modified: Oh and let me add...the first three months wasn't rosy.

Two weeks after I came in, total lockdown started. We were indoors for 3 months. Survived on my BTA, landlady reduced rent for me, then back up from home.

It wasn't funny. Immediately after the lockdown, things changed

Another thing that gave u an edge is coming alone. I dont see what a single person should be complaining about when u travel. Honestly, u are more at an advantage when u travel out. So u have to think about it. Settle first then u think about bringing ur family. Bottom line is, its good to do this abroad thing when u are younger but its all good even if u are not. My one cent

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by HEAVEN4444: 8:46pm On Jul 05, 2021
tishbite41:

If man get 20 mill, wetin hin dey find abroad?!
you will be surprised

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Basher8583: 8:50pm On Jul 05, 2021
Beautynaija:

You should ask yourself if Turkey and UK have work conditions for foreign graduates after their studies.

Most countries don't accommodate foreign graduates after studies.

So by your logics you are saying all Nigerians come back home after their schooling abi?

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Basher8583: 8:55pm On Jul 05, 2021
EKONGKING:
Atleast you won't be killed because of Cow and u won't be killed due to stray bullet

Work hard ,pay your bills and enjoy satisfaction of you being treated like a human being instead of being a animal in a zoo

Is Usa the only country abroad ignoramus.
Regarding USA, every body in whole world know who
Eric garner ,George floyd and countless blacks killed by police ,it's reported in newspapers.
What about zoo ,do you know the names of people killed by SARS in last 10 years or people killed by customs in Ogun or people killed by army in Imo.

When you talk ,talk sensibly ,don't show your stupidity to the whole world

Hey guy travel to where you want to travel to. This is not the thread where you practice you varying degrees of insults and bigotry.

Leave the tread else you will be banned
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by samfrancis1(m): 8:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
DMerciful:
My only regret of moving to Canada is why I waited too long to move. Comparing Canada to Nigeria under any condition is like comparing CNN to NTA...quite ridiculous.

Mind you eventually i and my family including my kids will be Canadians but we're still Nigerians meaning in the future we can stay anywhere depending on where the good life is which is obviously Canada for now
Bros talk for life, no deh bias because you're a Nigerian... We know what preparation and investment they've made against future, while the future here is crumbling right in our eyes here, na when e better for me Nigeria better, when e better for you na in Nigeria better, that's how Nigerians are currently

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Psalmistproject: 9:00pm On Jul 05, 2021
Monogamy:

Bro, craigslist is there for you to check the average monthly rent not weekly..

A wise boss (woman) once told me, "any idiot can post anything online. "Don't base on one source, fact-check a minimum of 5 credible sources!"
You can tell the look on my face.... No be only 5!" Why not fact-check every related website?!"
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by STARGREEN(m): 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2021
I really lung to travel but i don't have much idea on how to go about it.
I really need it.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:23pm On Jul 05, 2021
timesup234:
All these things you wrote down don't happen in Nigeria. Stop reading rubbish online. Since I was born I don't know anyone who was kidnapped. Nigerians like recycling rubbish like parrots. There are more kidnapping going on in America than the whole of Africa

So kidnappings don’t happen almost daily in Nigeria?

So you are saying that when houses catch fire in Nigeria that fire trucks are dispatched by a 911 emergency system and arrive in 10 minutes or less to put the fire out at no cost to the homeowner?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by AnotherAlien: 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
DaInferno:
your write up doesn't answer the question op asked...in all I read, I was expecting to see where abroad is good or bad. Just vague
There's no country in the western world that doesn't have it's advantages and disadvantages. Everything depends largely on the type of people you're surrounded by. If you learn from the successful ones you'll meet there, chances are you will be successful too. Misery often needs company, avoid such if you can.
Be careful, many are out there to use you for their personal gains and not necessarily to help you in any way.
Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by DaInferno(m): 9:39pm On Jul 05, 2021
AnotherAlien:

There's no country in the western world that doesn't have it's advantages and disadvantages. Everything depends largely on the type of people you're surrounded by. If you learn from the successful ones you'll meet there, chances are you will be successful too. Misery often needs company, avoid such if you can.
Cheers
OK sir...cus like this ehn,I have save 300k since 200lvl,now in my final year. Either I leave this country or something like that. Either way I ll leave
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by authority2006(m): 9:42pm On Jul 05, 2021
phemmyfour:
You are just dull....not understanding the analysis

That sounded more like you just described yourself. Lol
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by DaInferno(m): 9:43pm On Jul 05, 2021
SIRTee15:

Abroad is neither good nor bad. It's what u make of it.
that's like saying Nigeria isn't good or bad but what we are making of it. Today, I wanted to buy a Jean trouser after a very long time to prep for an occasion. Was told 10k. That's more than 250% inflation since I last bought it. Can't spend another 3years here. So when I ask, omo am looking for a relieving answer. Where person fit easily get job there!

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by BigDawsNet: 9:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
lastclaire4:

Please how are u doing it.

Doing what dear?
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by MummyD2020(f): 10:15pm On Jul 05, 2021
STARGREEN:
I really lung to travel but i don't have much idea on how to go about it.
I really need it.

Are u kidneying me?

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Germandude30: 10:27pm On Jul 05, 2021
donmanuel1:
Is UAE abroad.. Anything country that is not western Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and new Zealand is best advised you remain in Nigeria ..If you are legal in these countries, focused and hard working and above all GODS grace with you, you must succeed...NIGERIA IS FINISHED.
two bottles of Becks beer for you.dont know what is wrong with most nigerians.because people are going to UAE for tourism because it's pocket friendly then Nigerians started going there.then they say demdey abroad.i laff.country with 50 degree heat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Abiboss: 11:11pm On Jul 05, 2021
Hypnotise:
Leaving Nigeria was the best decision of my life imagine getting paid €17/hour. Can’t complain smiley
Which job be that shocked I hope no be menial job sha
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Ernesthugo(m): 11:29pm On Jul 05, 2021
Muyiwaipere:
Bros I do regret my decision of leaving my job to move to UAE
where for uae are u at make I come buy chai and burger.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by macAB: 11:31pm On Jul 05, 2021
[quote author=Komu1048 post=103393657]

I dey lagos like this and I dey find the free stuff. Apart from govt. I'm tired of Nigerian as a people. Everyone suspecting each others, ordinary 5k business u go speak your life tired to proof you are not a fraudster. Na only govt workers, pastors n politicians, this country is design for[Funny guy
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 05, 2021
TeraHawks:
YOU MUST HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THE GHETTOIN NIGERIA SO ANYWHERE ABROAD IS OK FOR YOU.

THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE AND KIDS IN NIGERIA TODAY THAT DO NOT KNOW ABOUT OR EVEN ENCOUNTER ALL YOU HAVE SAID IN THEIR DAILY LIVES.

ABROAD IS NOT HEAVEN...BUT IF YOU ARE DISADVANTAGED IN NIGERIA, IT IS A LOT BETTER.

THERE IS ACCESS TO GOOD HOSPITALS, SCHOOLS ETC IN NIGERIA AS WELL, NA MONEY KILL AM.

ABROAD IS BEST WHEN YOU ARE SINGLE AND BELOW 30YRS SO YOU CAN SUFFER BEFORE YOU CAN ENJOY LATER.

ANOTHER THING IN THE ABROAD IS RACISM...EXPECT TO GROW A THICK SKIN WHEN YOUR KIDS ARE DISCRIMINATED AT...IT WOULD SURELY HAPPEN. AND ALSO, BRACE YOURSELF TO LET DEM KIDS UNDERSTAND WHY YOU TOOK THEM AWAY FROM THE COMFORT OF NIGERIA, TO THIS NEW HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT.

SORRY 4my LONG WRITE UP.
You can address me the way you like.
It's in us, so I'm not surprised I welcome it.
D world keeps complaining abt our Insolence.
Anyway, u can't give what u don't have.

Now to your Write up.
I will start by saying that, there's no place in this world without challenges. According to the BIBLE,. the Devil was also driven away from the Heavens too. Now the issue is how these challenges are managed by different nations.

NIGERIA'S case is more of MAN MADE Disasters.
Nigeria witnesses no wild fire nor earthquake.
In Fact, Africa has got the best environment.
Telling me about RACISM holds no water, because we practice such in Nigeria more than the whites.

Someone can be born & raised in Rivers state but will be deprived of a Job becos he's not a Rivers indigene. I will be more satisfied having a WHITE MAN whose skin is white & Ideologies different practice segregation than my community with same cultural heritage practicing such.

Now to your GOOD ROADS & Hospitals in Nigeria.
Please where are they?
I worked for years as a Professional in Nigeria, I left Nigeria when my salary was 300k monthly, yet I couldn't afford some hospital investigations, meanwhile i keep seeing TRUCK DRIVERS in the US who have undergone BRAIN SURGERIES and are meant to pay at their convenience over years.
In the US the commonest human gets the best treatment. That's Life

Even BUHARI flies abroad regularly to access GOOD Healthcare. Doesn't dat send signals to u? IF the Chief Medical Physician of ASO ROCK CLINIC slumps down dia, what will dey do 4 him?

IF WIKE slumps in Port Harcourt what will they do for him..? Dey will simply rush him to UPTH & start running drips without standard evaluation.
GEJ's younger Brother slumped in Nigeria but before they could Airlift him to the UK from Abuja, he died. We all know the story.

EVEN the Elites in NIGERIA can't attend meetings again for fear of being kidnapped & killed.

ABROAD is not only about MONEY but majorly about the QUALITY of LIFE & sustainable development for your kids.
These are the THINGS NIGERIA has deprived you of for many years & still depriving u harder.

Finally, ABROAD also depends on the country you find yourself. I can't say much about many.
But for the UNITED STATES, it's a country that has direct communication with Humanity.
U can get annoyed, but I don't care.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply)

Lagos State Neighbourhood Recruitment 2017 / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply / Diamond Bank 2014 Recruitment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.