Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. (3085 Views)

Please, is this okay for a learner? / Dear Developers: How Do You Keep Yourself Motivated. / Is Django Okay To Get A Web Developer Job Or Use For Freelancing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Karleb(m): 8:30pm On Jul 04, 2021
I see lot of people want to make it quick and make it fast in this computer thing. That's perfectly okay but in reality, we are different individuals from different backgrounds, environments and exposures.

I see programmers especially newbies getting excited about other programmers breakthrough, this is very good but you own story will most likely be different. You don't know the work these programmers have done behind the scene, you only hear about the end results.

It took tensazangetsu20 6 months to get his first gig.
It took spartan117 a paid internship program to land his first job
It took Danny Thompson 8 months to get his first job.
Eji Mudi who used work with Danny Thompson before he(Danny Thompson) joined Google started out with a 25k salary after his internship.

Whereas, there are some people who are paid to learn how to code. Some got job after learning CSS and HTML for a month.

Funnily enough, some developers get sacked in their first job, not because they are not competent though but mostly because the company is not the best fit for them.

Some learnt Go, Java, PHP, Python or some other languages.

Where the developer you admire got a gig, another would have gotten a job, another a job with relocation package and another will even go unnoticed.

Don't be jealous and don't compete against another developer success story, run your race, drawing inspiration from other devs is good and I recommend it but your journey will most likely be different. Mind that.

All that matters is that we keep grinding, in few years time, na we go be the mid-level and senior developers for major companies around the globe.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by doggedfighter(f): 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2021
Waiting
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by RemiAbdulSamad(m): 9:32pm On Jul 04, 2021
bring it on
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by The5DME(m): 8:32am On Jul 05, 2021
Nice piece.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Etinosa1234: 9:19am On Jul 05, 2021
More than a year learning Android/ Java and yet.. I've not made anything from it...

How am I supposed to tell my family that IT is the future when I still depend on them

Even companies I apply to will say they need a senior or intermediate developer... How am I supposed to grow if I don't get a chance..

Las Las we go dey alright

3 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Just123: 9:21am On Jul 05, 2021
You only lose when you give up.

1 Like

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Karleb(m): 10:53am On Jul 05, 2021
Etinosa1234:
More than a year learning Android/ Java and yet.. I've not made anything from it...

How am I supposed to tell my family that IT is the future when I still depend on them

Even companies I apply to will say they need a senior or intermediate developer... How am I supposed to grow if I don't get a chance..

You just need to keep applying, trying and learning.

I was once offered an internship role for 75k.

There are companies that would employ you the way you are.

3 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Be innovative....amd dont give up. If anyone tells you that you many will be mid level whatever working for huge companies around the globe, the person is deceiving you. There are many Indians in this game before Nigerians dream of it. And most companies will look their ways first.

Let us be truthful to ourselves, they are deceiving you. I am not trying to pull you down, but you need to realise your situation.

Be innovative and look for how to make your cash. Just learning so many programming languages and looking for peanut jobs will not do it. I dont want you fall for this crap this person is saying. He doesnt know what he is saying. If you doubt me, meet him real life and access him. You may see that you have more opportunities than him.

But you can make it. Not saying working for big companies is not possible but be sincere. How many are employing Nigerians? How many are really making it? Maybe they get a job and dont get any in the next 8 months. It is only when they have they loud it. I love sincerity and honesty. He knows deep within himself he is telling you lies. You are truthful, and that's ok. This is why you will be greater than him.

Just be innovative. And start looking into the future. The standard to make it is higher than just learning coding. There are more skills to have in your arsenal to really compete out there.

Having said this, I will not release anything in this thread. Let him release proofs of jobs and how far the people he mentioned are doing now. Let us see their total income and we can judge. I know what I am saying. They are all bunch of deceivers.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by qtguru(m): 1:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
Exactly it took me a 2 years to land a gig, and I had to do it for free, because no one would patronize me, do not despair it eventually pays out just keep working hard.

9 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Karleb(m): 1:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Be innovative....amd dont give up. If anyone tells you that you many will be mid level whatever working for huge companies around the globe, the person is deceiving you. There are many Indians in this game before Nigerians dream of it. And most companies will look their ways first.

Let us be truthful to ourselves, they are deceiving you. I am not trying to pull you down, but you need to realise your situation.

Be innovative and look for how to make your cash. Just learning so many programming languages and looking for peanut jobs will not do it. I dont want you fall for this crap this person is saying. He doesnt know what he is saying. If you doubt me, meet him real life and access him. You may see that you have more opportunities than him.

But you can make it. Not saying working for big companies is not possible but be sincere. How many are employing Nigerians? How many are really making it? Maybe they get a job and dont get any in the next 8 months. It is only when they have they loud it. I love sincerity and honesty. He knows deep within himself he is telling you lies. You are truthful, and that's ok. This is why you will be greater than him.

Just be innovative. And start looking into the future. The standard to make it is higher than just learning coding. There are more skills to have in your arsenal to really compete out there.

Having said this, I will not release anything in this thread. Let him release proofs of jobs and how far the people he mentioned are doing now. Let us see their total income and we can judge. I know what I am saying. They are all bunch of deceivers.

You have issues. Serious ones.

1 Like

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by lordally(m): 1:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:
Exactly it took me a 2 years to land a gig, and I had to do it for free, because no one would patronize me, do not despair it eventually pays out just keep working hard.

2years?? shocked shocked Ahhh God!!! Abeg oooo
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by qtguru(m): 1:38pm On Jul 05, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Maybe you are not aligning yourself well, with Java Skills you have the following options:

Upworks
Remote

or

Building Shopify Apps with Storefront API
API + Client and sell the Project on Codecanyon

Unless your skills is not up to par to what recruiters are looking for, because sentiments aside if you do not have good quality level, you will most likely be over-looked so either build a personal project that can make money, My advise look at Upworks and think of a solution.

wish you all the best

Note

I have seen the app you built, my advise don't build such, they are not new and to easy build, something different like a platform

e.g

You have to build something that has value. e.g Maybe A Food Platform, or even an Android App that you generates content dynamically on the fly so in the backend when you determine the content type and all, you can render that in the client, that infrastructure is profitable and can be used for plenthora of things.

Don't build simple things, build complex projects that has value and can be bought, Look at TapCart, you can start small, build something that will help SME maybe even the Agric Farmers a platform to connect food people.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by qtguru(m): 1:44pm On Jul 05, 2021
lordally:

2years?? shocked shocked Ahhh God!!! Abeg oooo

for 2 Years I was reading programming everyday because I knew there's no point taking a job I couldn't deliver. but it's less for you guys, there are platforms to play in, then there wasn't much API Development, it was mostly Website and Integration or Mobile apps/Desktop Apps. people just need to be more exposed. There are so much options it just depends on one's level of exposure, Coding is key but researching is more important.

8 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 05, 2021
Karleb:

You have issues. Serious ones.
Shut the crap up and tell these young guys looking for clean and honest ways the truth. Stop deceiving them. Stop it. You are a pathetic liar. I hate people like you. Stop playing with the lives and future of these kids. Stop it. You are a kid too. If you continue this your deceits, I will shock you. You are a terrible person. Stop manipulating these kids. Your thread is a big lie.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:51pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

for 2 Years I was reading programming everyday because I knew there's no point taking a job I couldn't deliver. but it's less for you guys, there are platforms to play in, then there wasn't much API Development, it was mostly Website and Integration or Mobile apps/Desktop Apps. people just need to be more exposed. There are so much options it just depends on one's level of exposure, Coding is key but researching is more important.
Exposure is key. I struggled to get employed too till I went into platform development that's why I write on it on nairaland. The truth is that there's more jobs going on in these platforms with much bigger budgets than normal full-stack development and there's not a lot of platform developers depending on the specific platform.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by qtguru(m): 1:52pm On Jul 05, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Please join the next Clubhouse meeting we have, my topic will be around what to do as a Junior dev with no experience, you will benefit from it I promise

3 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

God bless you bro! This boy deceiving them is posing as an expert so they can contact him. And heaven knows his next game.

He is saying it like it's easy. And if you see the useless app he suggested one person should do, that was where I realised he is a quark himself. I just kept silent. But he is roaming about here trying to be an expert. He needs to tell these boys the truth. And if I research the boy, he might not be earning much.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Karleb(m): 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Shut the crap up and tell these young guys looking for clean and honest ways the truth. Stop deceiving them. Stop it. You are a pathetic liar. I hate people like you. Stop playing with the lives and future of these kids. Stop it. You are a kid too. If you continue this your deceits, I will shock you. You are a terrible person. Stop manipulating these kids. Your thread is a big lie.

I will tell you for free that you are crazy! Very very.

3 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by qtguru(m): 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

God bless you bro! This boy deceiving them is posing as an expert so they can contact him. And heaven knows his next game.

He is saying it like it's easy. And if you see the useless app he suggested one person should do, that was where I realised he is a quark himself. I just kept silent. But he is roaming about here trying to be an expert. He needs to tell these boys rhe truth. And if I reasecth the boy, he might not be earning much.

Nothing good comes easy, it now depends on how much effort the person wants to add.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2021
Please, do not listen to this kid above. If you love yourself. People like him result to abusive languages. That's what they do. But if I start with him, he will quit. Cos i will bombard him and his entire household with curses and abusive languages. But I'm trying to hold it. A nuis.ance who came to my thread and just pronounced words full of hates without anything. But when I read some of his posts and activities, I realised he is nothing. And if I meet this boy, I can tell you that his papa and mama will prostrate and knee to beg for him.

Anyway, please, dont listen to him. If you read this and fall for whatever he is doing, na you sabi. Please, play smart and safe.

Goodluck to everyone.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

Nothing good comes easy, it now depends on how much effort the person wants to add.
Exactly. God bless you sir! A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by lordally(m): 2:02pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

Thanks for this and thanks for the mail response some days Back ( about internship )
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Carmal90(m): 3:02pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

Please join the next Clubhouse meeting we have, my topic will be around what to do as a Junior dev with no experience, you will benefit from it I promise

How can I?
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

Boss when exactly so that I can preserve my battery.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by qtguru(m): 3:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
SageX1444:
Boss when exactly so that I can preserve my battery.

Don't worry I will be much detailed about this meeting, I will drop updates here, everyone will be due noted, because I expect a way bigger crowd.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Etinosa1234: 3:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

Maybe you are not aligning yourself well, with Java Skills you have the following options:

Upworks
Remote

or

Building Shopify Apps with Storefront API
API + Client and sell the Project on Codecanyon

Unless your skills is not up to par to what recruiters are looking for, because sentiments aside if you do not have good quality level, you will most likely be over-looked so either build a personal project that can make money, My advise look at Upworks and think of a solution.

wish you all the best

Note

I have seen the app you built, my advise don't build such, they are not new and to easy build, something different like a platform

e.g

You have to build something that has value. e.g Maybe A Food Platform, or even an Android App that you generates content dynamically on the fly so in the backend when you determine the content type and all, you can render that in the client, that infrastructure is profitable and can be used for plenthora of things.

Don't build simple things, build complex projects that has value and can be bought, Look at TapCart, you can start small, build something that will help SME maybe even the Agric Farmers a platform to connect food people.

I was building something for my church... I used firebase as the backend so that users can read the latest Messages from the church, Daily scriptures

Not through with it tho... I might even change to another thing because they weren't even encouraging me...

1 Like

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Etinosa1234: 3:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
qtguru:

Alright sir... I'll try to find a way ti download the app... No space in my fone
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Maj196(m): 2:47pm On Jul 06, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

He is saying it like it's easy. And if you see the useless app he suggested one person should do, that was where I realised he is a quark himself. I just kept silent. But he is roaming about here trying to be an expert. He needs to tell these boys rhe truth. And if I reasecth the boy, he might not be earning much.
You are somewhat right about the Karleb guy, he poses like an expert but he's a novice himself. When I saw him explaining some codes to someone, I knew he knows nothing.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Karleb(m): 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2021
Maj196:
You are somewhat right about the Karleb guy, he poses like an expert but he's a novice himself. When I saw him explaining some codes to someone, I knew he knows nothing.

I am not an expert. I have never claimed to be an expert. If you dig well, you'd know I created multiple project some months ago in search of my first web dev job.

I only share my opinions here and you are free to disagree with it but when I see a bullshit opinion, particularly the annoying one, I point it out.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Maj196(m): 4:11pm On Jul 06, 2021
Karleb:

I am not an expert. I have never claimed to be an expert. If you dig well, you'd know I created multiple project some months ago in search of my first web dev job.

I only share my opinions here and you are free to disagree with it but when I see a bullshit opinion, particularly the annoying one, I point it out.

Just saying, let people know your struggles. So you don't elude your helper.
Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 06, 2021
Maj196:
You people talk too much. Where did he claim to be expert? So someone can't have arguments on programming again? In such arguments, we learn and him too will learn. You guys should just stop this hate and attacks.

8 Likes

Re: Dear Developer, Our Journey Will Be Different And That's Okay. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2021
ClixMaster:
You people talk too much. Where did he claim to be expert? So someone can't have arguments on programming again? In such arguments, we learn and him too will learn. You guys should just stop this hate and attacks.
Argument is not the way to learn. Attacking people is not the way to learn. You learn by saying the truth. And when you do not know something, do not pretend you know about it just cos you think people dont know. Saying the truth has nothing to do with debates or arguments. And please, research him well, he has hatred in his blood. I refrain from using nasty words, but I'm telling you that he is nasty. And the boy is a kid. If I descend on him, he will not like himself. Just be observant, you will also see what sensitive people have seen clearly about him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

[opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer / Whatsapp Group Chat For C# &/or C++ / How Can I Get Robotics, Coding, ICT Training For Kids In Enugu Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.