Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! (3991 Views)

Live Unveiling Of The TECNO Phantom X Device (watch Live) / Apple To Launch 3 Cheaper, Mid-range Smartphones / Tecno Camon X Review – Full Phone Specifications And Price In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by hoilakes(m): 11:12am On Jul 05, 2021
PHANTOM X is a premium smartphone from TECNO available starting July 1st. AndroidHeadlines did a quick preview of the brand new mid-range flagship from TECNO a few days ago.

You can check out the preview article for the unboxing experience. I have been using the PHANTOM X for about a week now and so it’s time to dive into the full review.

PHANTOM X Hardware Impressions

PHANTOM X is a gorgeous-looking smartphone. I am a big fan of my Van Gogh Starry Blue color review device courtesy of Tecno. If you didn’t know anything about this phone you might easily mistake it for a device from Samsung or Huawei. It looks that stylish and premium.

Build quality is absolutely stellar with no rattles or squeaks and all the buttons that have a satisfying click to them. In-hand ergonomics are also excellent thanks to the curved screen and the curved back cover. The overall design of the device and the texture on the back cover result in a good grip on the phone for one-hand use.

Besides design curves and texture on the back surface, PHANTOM has also done a great job with the overall weight distribution. There is minimal to no fatigue while using this phone in one hand. This attention to detail is also applied to the case included in the retail box. The vegan leather finish on the case provides excellent grip while being extremely lightweight.

PHANTOM X comes in two colors – Van Gogh Starry Night Blue and Monet’s Summer. I like my Starry Night Blue review unit quite a bit.

Curved AMOLED Display on the PHANTOM X is easy on the eyes
The PHANTOM X has a 6.7 inch curved AMOLED display with a 90Hz high refresh rate. The high refresh rate ensures a smooth user experience during web browsing or scrolling your Facebook feed. The display panel has a resolution of 1080 x 2340 which results in an FHD panel with a high color gamut and very high contrast ratio compared to other devices that have LCD screens.

The 430 nits of brightness results in the ability to view the panel easily while outdoors on a bright sunny day. Ultra-slim bezels all around along with a 19.5:9 screen ratio mean fatigue-free one-handed operation on a daily basis.

The display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and PHANTOM includes an HD film screen protector from the factory which is a nice touch.

There are a few other settings that may help you with your overall display experience. These are Always on display, Edge lighting, Inadvertently mode, and Extend to edges.
Overall, I am quite impressed with the quality of the display and the number of software settings available to tweak the display to my personal preferences. These should let the PHANTOM X stand out when cross-shopping with other competitive smartphones.

Software is HiOS 7.6 based on Android 11 with useful addons
PHANTOM X runs on HiOS 7.6 on top of Android 11 with April 2021 security patch. The HiOS is a light skin on top of stock AOSP.
There is quite a bit of Google integration in terms of software apps so there are no duplicate email or contacts apps. Messages with RCS chat features is the default app for SMS / texts which is my preferred app on Android. There is however no Google Discover Feed as you swipe left from the home screen.

Battery life is better than expected on the PHANTOM X
PHANTOM X packs a 4700 mAh battery which is fairly large and results in every other day charging cycle for normal use. Even under heavy use – GPS, Camera, and general web browsing you can get through a full day without having to worry about charging. In daily use, I saw Screen-on-Time of around 6 hours.

Cameras take really good pictures in various lighting conditions
On the back, there’s a triple camera module. The main camera has 50MP 1/1.3 inch ultra large sensor which enables some extremely clear nighttime shots via Super Night 3.0. It uses laser focus which results in quick focusing and balanced exposure in varying light conditions. In fact, this allows the PHANTOM X to take very quick pictures in twilight compared to other smartphones.

Audio quality is way better than other devices in this range
PHANTOM X has a single firing bottom speaker but it is loud and clear in terms of audio quality. Of course with a single speaker, the bass can be a bit low but other than that I have no issues with the sound quality. Just make sure you don’t cover the speaker grille at the bottom with your hand while playing videos or during gaming.

I think PHANTOM X has all the right features for an excellent mid-to-high-range phone. The PHANTOM X has stellar-looking hardware, a superb AMOLED curved borderless display, excellent battery life, and 33W fast speedy charging. To top it off, you also get fairly useful software and a great camera experience at a very attractive price.

There are no obvious or glaring flaws with the PHANTOM X. This means that it should definitely be on your shortlist when looking for a premium smartphone.

You can READ MORE and Full Details Here
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2021/07/phantom-x-review-premium-hardware-mid-range-price.html

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Jacku: 12:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Amazing review.
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Yinksy09(m): 12:59pm On Jul 05, 2021
Cool review. The specifications of the phantom X are cool
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by theFilmtric: 1:21pm On Jul 05, 2021
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by theFilmtric: 1:21pm On Jul 05, 2021
These guys have really upped their game shocked
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by PaulucheBusines: 1:39pm On Jul 05, 2021
With main camera of 50MP, storage of 256GB and RAM 8GB.

What more can I want?

Wia can I buy this phone?

hoilakes:
PHANTOM X is a premium smartphone from TECNO available starting July 1st. AndroidHeadlines did a quick preview of the brand new mid-range flagship from TECNO a few days ago.

You can check out the preview article for the unboxing experience. I have been using the PHANTOM X for about a week now and so it’s time to dive into the full review.

PHANTOM X Hardware Impressions

PHANTOM X is a gorgeous-looking smartphone. I am a big fan of my Van Gogh Starry Blue color review device courtesy of Tecno. If you didn’t know anything about this phone you might easily mistake it for a device from Samsung or Huawei. It looks that stylish and premium.

Build quality is absolutely stellar with no rattles or squeaks and all the buttons that have a satisfying click to them. In-hand ergonomics are also excellent thanks to the curved screen and the curved back cover. The overall design of the device and the texture on the back cover result in a good grip on the phone for one-hand use.

Besides design curves and texture on the back surface, PHANTOM has also done a great job with the overall weight distribution. There is minimal to no fatigue while using this phone in one hand. This attention to detail is also applied to the case included in the retail box. The vegan leather finish on the case provides excellent grip while being extremely lightweight.

PHANTOM X comes in two colors – Van Gogh Starry Night Blue and Monet’s Summer. I like my Starry Night Blue review unit quite a bit.

Curved AMOLED Display on the PHANTOM X is easy on the eyes
The PHANTOM X has a 6.7 inch curved AMOLED display with a 90Hz high refresh rate. The high refresh rate ensures a smooth user experience during web browsing or scrolling your Facebook feed. The display panel has a resolution of 1080 x 2340 which results in an FHD panel with a high color gamut and very high contrast ratio compared to other devices that have LCD screens.

The 430 nits of brightness results in the ability to view the panel easily while outdoors on a bright sunny day. Ultra-slim bezels all around along with a 19.5:9 screen ratio mean fatigue-free one-handed operation on a daily basis.

The display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and PHANTOM includes an HD film screen protector from the factory which is a nice touch.

There are a few other settings that may help you with your overall display experience. These are Always on display, Edge lighting, Inadvertently mode, and Extend to edges.
Overall, I am quite impressed with the quality of the display and the number of software settings available to tweak the display to my personal preferences. These should let the PHANTOM X stand out when cross-shopping with other competitive smartphones.

Software is HiOS 7.6 based on Android 11 with useful addons
PHANTOM X runs on HiOS 7.6 on top of Android 11 with April 2021 security patch. The HiOS is a light skin on top of stock AOSP.
There is quite a bit of Google integration in terms of software apps so there are no duplicate email or contacts apps. Messages with RCS chat features is the default app for SMS / texts which is my preferred app on Android. There is however no Google Discover Feed as you swipe left from the home screen.

Battery life is better than expected on the PHANTOM X
PHANTOM X packs a 4700 mAh battery which is fairly large and results in every other day charging cycle for normal use. Even under heavy use – GPS, Camera, and general web browsing you can get through a full day without having to worry about charging. In daily use, I saw Screen-on-Time of around 6 hours.

Cameras take really good pictures in various lighting conditions
On the back, there’s a triple camera module. The main camera has 50MP 1/1.3 inch ultra large sensor which enables some extremely clear nighttime shots via Super Night 3.0. It uses laser focus which results in quick focusing and balanced exposure in varying light conditions. In fact, this allows the PHANTOM X to take very quick pictures in twilight compared to other smartphones.

Audio quality is way better than other devices in this range
PHANTOM X has a single firing bottom speaker but it is loud and clear in terms of audio quality. Of course with a single speaker, the bass can be a bit low but other than that I have no issues with the sound quality. Just make sure you don’t cover the speaker grille at the bottom with your hand while playing videos or during gaming.

I think PHANTOM X has all the right features for an excellent mid-to-high-range phone. The PHANTOM X has stellar-looking hardware, a superb AMOLED curved borderless display, excellent battery life, and 33W fast speedy charging. To top it off, you also get fairly useful software and a great camera experience at a very attractive price.

There are no obvious or glaring flaws with the PHANTOM X. This means that it should definitely be on your shortlist when looking for a premium smartphone.

You can READ MORE and Full Details Here
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2021/07/phantom-x-review-premium-hardware-mid-range-price.html

1 Like

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Yourfav: 2:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
I feel like Tecno would be giving us top notch moving forward because this device is everything
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Randerl: 3:47pm On Jul 05, 2021
Come Carry The Cash Naa,

Like Say Na By Force To Buy 2018 Lower Midrange Specs For 2021

9 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by CANDYDADDY(m): 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2021

The 430 nits of brightness results in the ability to view the panel easily while outdoors on a bright sunny day

will you keep qwayet sad sad

And why you no mention g95 in this post why, are you afraid grin grin

13 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by sunshineV(f): 4:43pm On Jul 05, 2021
do u mean average hardware, flagship killer price? u no mention the midrange chipset abi fear grip u? who sells a midrange for 230k? how much is samsung s20fe? redmi note 10 pro flog dis phone hands down..... dis one na paid review abeg

16 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Rareoil(m): 4:59pm On Jul 05, 2021
OP won't tell you that this phone has the same chipset has camon 17 pro which is sold for 110K

Take this overpriced price of junk outta here.

10 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:01pm On Jul 05, 2021
sunshineV:
do u mean average hardware, flagship killer price? u no mention the midrange chipset abi fear grip u? who sells a midrange for 230k? how much is samsung s20fe? redmi note 10 pro flog dis phone hands down..... dis one na paid review abeg
you don begin dey yarn dust again bah

1 Like

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:02pm On Jul 05, 2021
Rareoil:
OP won't tell you that this phone has the same chipset has camon 17 pro which is sold for 110K

Take this overpriced price of junk outta here.
truly the phone may have mind blowing specs but 230k no it doesn't worth that
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by sunshineV(f): 5:02pm On Jul 05, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
you don begin dey yarn dust again bah
lol answer the question jambite

5 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:02pm On Jul 05, 2021
CANDYDADDY:

will you keep qwayet sad sad

And why you no mention g95 in this post why, are you afraid grin grin
what do you know of the g95undecided
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:03pm On Jul 05, 2021
Randerl:
Come Carry The Cash Naa,

Like Say Na By Force To Buy 2018 Lower Midrange Specs For 2021
you are techilliterate
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:08pm On Jul 05, 2021
sunshineV:
lol answer the question jambite
the only place the note 10 pro bests this device is in camera and affordability
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by sunshineV(f): 5:11pm On Jul 05, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
the only place the note 10 pro bests this device is in camera and affordability
u forgot support, android update and security patches, display, audio output, software etc

9 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:18pm On Jul 05, 2021
sunshineV:
u forgot support, android update and security patches, display, audio output, software etc
the phantom x comes with super amoled,the phantom.x has a 90% chance to get an update
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by sunshineV(f): 5:21pm On Jul 05, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
the phantom x comes with super amoled,the phantom.x has a 90% chance to get an update
d phantom has less than 500nits compared to rn10pro 1200nits so outdoor use (sunny days) will be better on the redmi. plus, tecno never mentioned android update in the presentation

2 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:26pm On Jul 05, 2021
sunshineV:
d phantom has less than 500nits compared to rn10pro 1200nits so outdoor use (sunny days) will be better on the redmi. plus, tecno never mentioned android update in the presentation
yet some of three phones do receive updates even without it being hinted on launch and as for the nits who uses phone under the sungrin

1 Like

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by sunshineV(f): 5:29pm On Jul 05, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
yet some of three phones do receive updates even without it being hinted on launch and as for the nits who uses phone under the sungrin
i dont understand the first point tbh...second, who doesnt? sun no be rain. why u justifying an outdoor bad display

3 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Emjace(m): 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
Redmi note 10 pro has 120hz refresh rate, 240hz touch sampling rate, good weight distribution, better android skin, more software support, better camera, stereo speaker, higher brightness level, make I stop here

8 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2021
Emjace:
Redmi note 10 pro has 120hz refresh rate, 240hz touch sampling rate, good weight distribution, better android skin, more software support, better camera, stereo speaker, higher brightness level, make I stop here
The phantom x comes with a better looking body design a gaming oriented chipset a better front camera 100% more storage than the rn10 and will be readily available with all its spare parts in nigeria
and..........and inch bigger screengrin

2 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by OneGeek(m): 5:43pm On Jul 05, 2021
I honestly don't understand why there's so much fuss about the Phantom X. A device like this typically has a knock-on effect which ultimately benefits YOU the consumer:
1. Fine, it's 230k. Outrageous. However, give it a few months, that price comes down quickly. If you're patient (and you should be), you can get it for much less.

2. If you still won't buy at a discount, the Phantom X - for Tecno - is a watershed device. Soon, you'll start seeing elements from the device in cheaper models. Maybe they'll bring 1080p permanently to the Camon series, maybe they'll bring USB-C across board, a second mic. Anything. Something that'd make users happy along the line.

3. People on phone section have given Helio G95 on the phone a lot of stick, and while the criticism is justified for the price point, it doesn't translate in the real world. People like the feeling of power, even when it's just face value. Apple sells the A14 bionic chip as the most powerful chip in a smartphone, but ensures you don't get to use it like you want. Imagine my surprise when I found that you could do more with SD888 than A14. Power in a smartphone is less about the name of the chipset than what the manufacturer allows you to do with it.

Google and Samsung use this to their advantage so well, that you quickly forget their flaws. Pixels recycled their 12.3MP main camera for years. Samsung only recently stopped using trash hardware for their A series. Yet, overall experience for people is positive.

So, Tecno Phantom X might not be the best midrange out there right now, but I think Tecno are up to something here.
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by saratackit: 5:52pm On Jul 05, 2021
Good question that's d only thing be seen everyone talking about
HONESTFACT101:
what do you know of the g95undecided
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 6:01pm On Jul 05, 2021
OneGeek:
I honestly don't understand why there's so much fuss about the Phantom X. A device like this typically has a knock-on effect which ultimately benefits YOU the consumer:
1. Fine, it's 230k. Outrageous. However, give it a few months, that price comes down quickly. If you're patient (and you should be), you can get it for much less.

2. If you still won't buy at a discount, the Phantom X - for Tecno - is a watershed device. Soon, you'll start seeing elements from the device in cheaper models. Maybe they'll bring 1080p permanently to the Camon series, maybe they'll bring USB-C across board, a second mic. Anything. Something that'd make users happy along the line.

3. People on phone section have given Helio G95 on the phone a lot of stick, and while the criticism is justified for the price point, it doesn't translate in the real world. People like the feeling of power, even when it's just face value. Apple sells the A14 bionic chip as the most powerful chip in a smartphone, but ensures you don't get to use it like you want. Imagine my surprise when I found that you could do more with SD888 than A14. Power in a smartphone is less about the name of the chipset than what the manufacturer allows you to do with it.

Google and Samsung use this to their advantage so well, that you quickly forget their flaws. Pixels recycled their 12.3MP main camera for years. Samsung only recently stopped using trash hardware for their A series. Yet, overall experience for people is positive.

So, Tecno Phantom X might not be the best midrange out there right now, but I think Tecno are up to something here.
youve said it all
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 6:03pm On Jul 05, 2021
saratackit:
Good question that's d only thing be seen everyone talking about
people like him annoy me they are basically ignorant and at same time proud,just wait and see the medicine reply he will givesad
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Randerl: 6:31pm On Jul 05, 2021

In Less Than A Week...

The Fall From OverHyping To Out-of-Overall Ranking.

Just Began...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by Emjace(m): 7:19pm On Jul 05, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
The phantom x comes with a better looking body design a gaming oriented chipset a better front camera 100% more storage than the rn10 and will be readily available with all its spare parts in nigeria
and..........and inch bigger screengrin
design is subjective, g95 for flagship gaming performance ? embarassed, price, and parts availability are for those that will be changing there screen soon

3 Likes

Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 7:39pm On Jul 05, 2021
Emjace:
design is subjective, g95 for flagship gaming performance ? embarassed, price, and parts availability are for those that will be changing there screen soon
is the note 10 a flagshipsad
Re: PHANTOM X Review: Premium Hardware, Mid-range Price! by HONESTFACT101(m): 7:40pm On Jul 05, 2021
Randerl:
In Less Than A Week... The Fall From OverHyping To Out-of-Overall Ranking.
Just Began...
the price fvucking killed it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Is A Iphone Now? / Glo Bis Is Back On All Phones / What Launcher Are You Using?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.