Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:30 PM

The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 (17612 Views)

Atiku Returns To Nigeria Ahead Of International Press Conference Over CSU Saga / President-elect, Bola Tinubu Arrives Nigeria Ahead Of Inauguration / June 12: US advises citizens in Nigeria ahead of Nationwide protests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by stephanie11: 1:32pm On Jul 09, 2021
Avarice and prejudice drove European conquistadors to carve up much of Africa like cake. With the gradual end of the transatlantic slave trade spurred by the industrial revolution in Europe, the trespassers, possessed by capitalist fiends, sought sources of raw materials for their industries and markets for their manufactured products. These encroachers considered Africa as ‘’terra nullius’’ – a vast land belonging to no one –, so they struck, usurping natural boundaries and turning brothers into strangers. All for greed, prejudice and arrogance.

But nothing changed after the European raiders left Africa. Only the skin colour and facial features of the oppressors varied. Colonialism by aliens gave way for colonialism by natives; black-on-black oppression.

In Nigeria’s case, the worst form of colonialism steeped in prebendalism, carnivory, nepotism, tribalism, corruption and predation took root. Nigeria’s political class are a hybridised version of the European colonial masters.

It is about two years to the next general election in 2023, and already there is chaos, confusion and caustic rhetoric brought on by politics of conquest. It is always about the cake for the Nigerian political class — how to carve it up and serve it among themselves; who to get what and what portion. It is never about how to make life better for citizens. Nigeria abandoned the development plans of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. In fact, we do not have concretised development plans anymore, but we always have plans and budgets for elections.

It has been said that Nigerian politicians plan for the next election instead of staying in the present and working for the people. It is always about the next election for them. It is all about how to acquire power, abuse it and retain it.

On Monday, governors of the southern region met and issued a communiqué after the conclave. I must say, the official communication contained fine points like — ‘’the forum rejects the proposed 3% and support the 5% share of the oil revenue to the host community as recommended by the house of representatives’’ as regards the recently passed Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB). It is against sensibility that ewes which make the best milk should not eat more of the finest grass. To stave off possible agitations in the future, it is only reasonable that the Niger Delta region from where the bulk of our revenue comes from is accorded this advantage.

In general, the intention of the governors may be noble, considering that it is for the preservation of their region. But where does the manifest polarisation of Nigeria into north and south by political leaders leave the country? Regional agenda has become centralised against the goal of the collective. There is a pursuit of self in negation of the whole. The chasm between the north and the south is widened by the operations of political leaders.

The resolution of the governors that – ‘’the forum reiterates its commitment to the politics of equity, fairness and unanimously agrees that the presidency of Nigeria be rotated between southern and northern Nigeria and resolved that the next president of Nigeria should emerge from the southern region’’ – could be unnerving for people who are not from the south.

I think matters of this character require national consensus not a regional gang-up. It requires statesmanship.

Most political leaders in the north have openly expressed support for a power shift to the south in 2023. Nasir el-Rufai, Kaduna governor; Babagana Zulum, Borno governor, and Abdullahi Ganduje, Kano governor, are some of the leaders who have said the next president should come from the south. Some northern groups have also voiced their support for a president from the south in 2023. So, what was the aim of that performance by southern governors?

What that resolution has achieved so far is to unnerve even those who have shown support for power shift to the south in 2023.

This is what Zulum, a proponent of power shift, said in reaction to the resolution by southern governors.

Zulum: “I have said it times without number that I, Professor Babagana Zulum, I am of the view that the presidency should go to the south in the year 2023 because the unity of our country is very important. Secondly, inclusivity is very important. Thirdly, I am in the APC. Six or seven years ago, APC had zoned the presidency to northern Nigeria based on the agreement that in the year 2023, the presidency should go to the south. But again, this is politics. We are supposed to meet and discuss this issue among ourselves, among the political class. This statement that people are saying that the president must go to the south, I want them to remove the word must.”

The politics of ‘’we against them’’ is one of conquest which benefits the political class. It is the politics of scrambling for spoils and partitioning the peoples of Nigeria.

The Nigeria Governors Forum used to be a formidable clique which spoke in one accord and even acted as a parallel government. It is sad to see this forum become a house of Babel. Now, we have Northern Governors Forum and Southern Governors Forum – representing and pursing regional interests.
By Fredrick ‘Mr OneNigeria’ Nwabufo
Twitter @FredrickNwabufo

https://politicsnigeria.com/the-partitioning-of-nigeria-ahead-of-2023-by-fredrick-nwabufo/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Ausval: 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
Let's Pray we even have a NIGERIA by 2023

28 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by PAWG(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
LTC
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by fydence: 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
This one long o

3 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by opalu: 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
Ok
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by brownemmanuel43(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
After thorough reading and understanding, they author still said what we all know.
If I were the President of UAR, the following would be my ministers
1. West Coast: Education and Health
Let me break it down here: we are all know that education has always being their birth right. Then I did some research on Health I found that West can do something with their herbs, I have tasted a lot of their herbs and I must confess if we give them the resources, West can be our own India.
2. East Coast: Commerce and Industry,
Give an Igbo man 20naira see him turning it to 200 naira
3. North: Agriculture:
An average aboki can feed his community with farm
4. South South: Sea/Marine
South South can even compete with mami water in swimming and could help in fighting pirates
But all in all, our wickedness will never allow us do the right thing
I quote: Take evil out of people they will act right

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Sammy07: 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
grin

Nah newspaper? undecided angry angry

BTW

By Fredrick ‘Mr OneNigeria’ Nwabufo
Twitter @FredrickNwabufo

undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by slyfox35(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
When the summary finally comes out, someone should please notify me

3 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Godada(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2021

Na English you dey speak when you ready better communicate

1 Like

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by luizkyworld(m): 1:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
I just wasted precious time reading grammer. Na This same grammar oyinbo use confuse Africans, then destroy us

10 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by MisterGrace: 1:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
Regional agenda has become centralised against the goal of the collective.

Out of the whole article, I think attending to the above sentence will give you the answers that you seek.

All these started when;

1. The Muslims in the north introduced sharia court. Like the sovereign law of Nigeria was no longer good for them.

2. hisbah started to destroy beers and people's businesses even when nobody forced them to buy and drink.

3. It became worse when buhari started with lopsided appointments. Focusing only on northern muslims and neglecting other.

4. Buhari called the southeast 5%.

5. Killer herdsmen are been given preferential treatment while they continue to kill our people and destroy farms.

6. Only norther muslims are employed into CBN, NNPC, FIRS, PENCOM, DPR, Judicial Commission among others.

7. Most of the oil blocs were allocated to the northern muslims while just few were left for others.

8. Northern muslim business get government backings while others suffer.

9. Souther borders were shut tight while the northern ones were flung open for fulanis to flood in.

10. Middlebelt Christians and Southerners are been forced into retirement while northern muslims get promotions.

Dude, the list is endless.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by osuofia2(m): 1:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
The North has the largest share. Our vote is more than every other southern region
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by GreaterFuture(m): 1:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
Smh
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by RisenJoe(m): 1:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
Nigeria is just like every other business center where the business owners care about gains and not about the welfare of the workers.

2 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Mangekyo: 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
undecided
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by foeedaba: 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
I failed to see the point the write up is trying to make.

9 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by richie240: 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
Time will tell!
cool
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by free2ryhme: 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2021

1 Like

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by YorubaKinging: 1:40pm On Jul 09, 2021
The end is near

Yoruba, the tribe of judah
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 09, 2021
Ok
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by candidbabe(f): 1:40pm On Jul 09, 2021
This kind of write up gives me migraine.
Ain't reading shit.

1 Like

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by DMerciful(m): 1:40pm On Jul 09, 2021
Let's just divide this country, nothing good can come out from the present arrangement

4 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Bvlgari: 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
A good read...to me, time will definitely tell...

We are stronger together...but if it is the will of God to scatter or partition the country, then who am i to say no

1 Like

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by showafrica(m): 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
Nonesense... If an illiterate Yoruba Muslim becomes the president, whats the difference? I am sure that's the canals target. We no do again simple.
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Oracleforce: 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
stephanie11:

https://politicsnigeria.com/the-partitioning-of-nigeria-ahead-of-2023-by-fredrick-nwabufo/

OP should read it and summarize it to me...I can't be wasting my time reading an epistle of the people of Nigerians in captivity
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Acidiously: 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
Jacking
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Ovie56(m): 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
Ausval:
Let's Pray we even have a NIGERIA by 2023
why pray for a problem?
Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
slyfox35:
When the summary finally comes out, someone should please notify me
a lazy man like you..

1 Like

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Aksnoopy: 1:42pm On Jul 09, 2021
This bastard Nwabufo again! undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Partitioning Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2023 by Seniorwriter(m): 1:43pm On Jul 09, 2021
We need young visionary Aspirants come 2023.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akeredolu Congratulates Tinubu, Praises Other Aspirants / Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? / Victoria Tayo Odumosu In Age Falsification Scandal (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.