Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? (2276 Views)

"We Can't Pay Salaries, Imo Is Broke" – Okorocha / 'How Cabals In The Presidency Hijacked Buhari’s Ministerial Appointment' - SDC / Amnesty: Governors Making Progress With Boko-Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 5:48pm On May 10, 2011
I have followed two recent and very interesting threads on Nairaland that have do with infrastructure developement.

1.    Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport   
       https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-661845.0.html#msg8273628

and

2. Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply?
    https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-663363.0.html#msg8286327

A fear that people have about the delivery of projects that are supposed to alleviate the suffering of the masses, propel development and engender economic prosperity is that there are cabals who would allow these projects to succeed.

Take two examples (posts):

A water project being handled by the Lagos State government:

enyojo:

I feel your pain. However the entire Ikorodu will never lack portable water again. That is if and when the Water Scheme by Fash is completed. but frm the look of things, it will take a long time say in 4 years time since there are cabals against speedy completion. May God help Fashola to squash them squarely.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-661845.192.html#msg8290355

2.  The power projects of the FG:

Abiodun234:

I guess this might help you answer your questions

-Another major question is this: is this government ready to fight the cabals that profits from generator and diesel import? I am not sure except the president changes after may 29th.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-663363.96.html#msg8292316

I have picked these two projects and the comments of other NLanders to show that the problem is not peculiar to one political party, level of government.

If you mention any other project, you would probably find that there is one cabal or the other working against the success of the project.

The question then is this:

WHAT SHOULD WE DO ABOUT THESE CABALS?
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 5:52pm On May 10, 2011
kholis:

GEJ may mean well but the corruption in the power sector is above his reach. There are people who gain huge economic windfall from the comatose power situation in this country. Those powerful people are the owners of refineries outside the country which includes some of our past leaders who MUST frustrate any progressive move in this regard and GEJ is aware of this fact. Therefore it becomes ideal to continue the culture of heaping hope on the people while waiting to see how it all plays out.

The day you hear that the federal govt has made practical steps towards refining our crude oil within the country, then the real solution to fixing the power sector has begun in earnest. That is where our dear president should start from and not rhetoric like; road map, mega watts, national grid etc. Anything short of that is mere gimmick. Believe it or not.
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 6:03pm On May 10, 2011
I remember when I lived in one of the suburbs of Lagos in the 80s. At the time public water supply had not been extended to the area.

Those who sold water from wells with water pumps attached actually contributed money to government officials regularly to frustrate the efforts of community (residents' association) leaders who vigorously campagined for the extension of the water supply to the area.

Thank God that one of the military governments was able to break the back of the cabal or maybe it was just that it was a change that its time had come, public water supply was eventually extended to the area and is still available today.

Everytime I remember the suffering thoe people caused us, the face of one the water sellers pops up in my head and I wish I could give him a piece of my mind.
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 10, 2011
are we already making excues for the same GEJ whose apologists spammed the board with stories of how he dealt with the yardua cabal?

btw cabal has become another overflogged word, thanks to dora noisemaker akunyuli
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 6:13pm On May 10, 2011
oyb:

are we already making excues for the same GEJ

Is this person also making excuses for Fashola?

enyojo:

I feel your pain. However the entire Ikorodu will never lack portable water again. [b]That is if and when the Water Scheme by Fash is completed. but frm the look of things, it will take a long time say in 4 years time since there are cabals against speedy completion. May God help Fashola to squash them squarely.[/b]

Mind you, she says if the project is completed.

sad
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by fatherab1: 6:42pm On May 10, 2011
oyb:

are we already making excues for the same GEJ whose apologists spammed the board with stories of how he dealt with the yardua cabal?

btw cabal has become another overflogged word, thanks to dora noisemaker akunyuli

@ Johnie,
The solution eluded us when the GEJ supporters and riggers alike made us miss the chance to save nigeria by electing 2 honest men undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 8:31am On May 11, 2011
father ab:

@ Johnie,
The solution eluded us when the GEJ supporters and riggers alike made us miss the chance to save nigeria by electing 2 honest men undecided undecided undecided undecided

How would that have effectively stopped the cabals operating at the lower levels of government controlled by parties other than that at the FG?
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 8:32am On May 11, 2011
oyb:

Maybe we should use the word "cartel"?
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Kobojunkie: 11:52am On May 11, 2011
@Poster, I see we are already creating OJUJU CALABARS so we can CONVENIENTLY EXPLAIN any possible future failures of those we elected, ehn? Well done!!

johnie:

Maybe we should use the word "cartel"?

Why not just OJUJU CALABAR?? grin grin grin
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Kanana(m): 12:00pm On May 11, 2011
Gej sorrounded by the cartel.Hmm i dey laff. grin grin grin
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Kobojunkie: 12:05pm On May 11, 2011
^^ Not just GoodLuck Jonathan. The @Poster even suggests that Fashola, is once again, surrounded by a "cartel" AGAIN -- and guess who the suspected leader of this cartel would AGAIN be? The same Tinubu who got him elected the first and second time -- yes, the same Tinubu who Fashola has ALWAYS been close to and still rubs shoulders with. If anything, what is happening there seems more like a CONVENIENT arrangement between two men so they can both remain relevant.
ROFLMAO!!!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Lagosboy: 12:09pm On May 11, 2011
When GEJS new found buddie FO is seen with him everywhere he goes, intelligent people should know it is either FO is the one to build our power infrastructure or we would not have stable power supply in another 4 years.

FOs main business is simply diesel and with stable electricity, demand for diesel will almost reduce by 80% which means 80% reduction in Zenons oil and APs business. FO is Femi Otedola
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Mynd44: 4:34pm On May 11, 2011
Hmm

1 Like

Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:43pm On May 11, 2011
All these 'what do we do' topics. . . is it so difficult to assassinate somebody in Nigeria? undecided
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 4:46pm On May 11, 2011
Lobbyists hijack Jonathan's vacation at Obudu
By Modey Peters

May 9, 2011 02:14AM

It was meant to be a private visit, with relaxation at the top on the agenda. But the seven-day stay of President Goodluck Jonathan at the Obudu Ranch Resort in Cross River State quickly became loaded with a busy daily schedule.

When Mr Jonathan left Abuja penultimate Friday for the resort, located high in the Obudu mountain range of Cross River State, to soothe frayed nerves after the arduous presidential election, attending to lobbyists and businessmen must have been far from his mind.

But two days into his stay on the hills, located in Obanliku local government area of the state, politicians, contractors and businesspersons desperate to gain his favour, quickly relocated to the plateau, in pursuit of the president. Thus Mr Jonathan was torn between sticking to the planned retreat with his aides and meeting with the army of visitors itching to attract his ear. All this affected his relaxation time as he had to work late into the night.

His wife, Patience, was not left out. She also kept a busy schedule as people thronged the resort to see her, partly as a way of gaining access to her husband.

Business mogul Femi Otedola was the most prominent person from the business community to hop along to what is being called Nigeria's ‘Camp David' to meet the president. Some national officers of the president's Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) were not left out. According to senior member of the PDP in Cross River State, they came to discuss the shape of the new government, including the composition of the new federal cabinet, zoning of key national assembly offices, among other issues.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5698487-146/story.csp

Otedola is in white shirt and black trousers (second from right). Is that Elumelu beside him?

Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by bkbabe97y(m): 4:52pm On May 11, 2011
johnie:

I remember when I lived in one of the suburbs of Lagos in the 80s. At the time public water supply had not been extended to the area.

Those who sold water from wells with water pumps attached actually contributed money to government officials regularly to frustrate the efforts of community (residents' association) leaders who vigorously campagined for the extension of the water supply to the area.

Thank God that one of the military governments was able to break the back of the cabal [/b]or maybe it was just that it was a change that its time had come, public water supply was eventually extended to the area and is still available today.

Everytime I remember the suffering thoe people caused us, the face of one the water sellers pops up in my head and I wish I could give him a piece of my mind.

As to the bolded: To Which of these Military Regimes do you owe the gratitude of "breaking" the "back of the cabal", because even I know that there were only two Military Regimes in Nigeria in the 80's--- [b]THE ONE THAT WAS BEGGING TO RESCUE YOU FROM HOPELESSNESS, AND THE ONE YOU BEGGED TO DROWN YOU IN HOPELESSNESS!!!

Anyhoo, the botton-line of my rant goes thus: WHO THE HELL DID YOU VOTE FOR IN THE RECENTLY CONCLUDED PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS?!? Your answer should tell you if you got the moral right to complain or if you should just put up and shut up!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On May 11, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Anyhoo, the botton-line of my rant goes thus: WHO THE HELL DID YOU VOTE FOR IN THE RECENTLY CONCLUDED PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS?!? Your answer should tell you if you got the moral right to complain or if you should just put up and shut up!

Hear, Hear!~! grin
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 5:04pm On May 11, 2011
johnie:

Thank God that one of the military governments was able to break the back of the cabal or maybe it was just that it was a change that its time had come, public water supply was eventually extended to the area and is still available today.

Did you read the bolded part?

bk.babe97y:

WHO THE HELL DID YOU VOTE FOR IN THE RECENTLY CONCLUDED PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS?!?

The thread is not about who I voted for but since you so interested in knowing, go and read my posts pre-election then come back and tell the world!

grin grin grin
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Rhino5dm: 5:08pm On May 11, 2011
Good one! This is call patriotism.
Keep it up. Fella.

bk.babe97y:

As to the bolded: To Which of these Military Regimes do you owe the gratitude of "breaking" the "back of the cabal", because even I know that there were only two Military Regimes in Nigeria in the 80's--- THE ONE THAT WAS BEGGING TO RESCUE YOU FROM HOPELESSNESS, AND THE ONE YOU BEGGED TO DROWN YOU IN HOPELESSNESS!!!

Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by bkbabe97y(m): 5:13pm On May 11, 2011
johnie:

Did you read the bolded part?

The thread is not about who I voted for but since you so interested in knowing, go and read my posts pre-election then come back and tell the world!

grin grin grin

Whats so funny that I gotta see emoticons of you flashing your teeth?

I asked a simple question; Answer or fall back! I dont have the time to go digging into ur past posts, cause, quite frankly, I fear what I might discover!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 5:25pm On May 11, 2011
What is your interest really?

What do we do about the Ojuju Calabar, Cartel or Cabal (whatever you like, you can call them)?

That is the question!

Don't derail the thread or resort to insults.

If you don't have any tangible answer, please pass!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On May 11, 2011
^^^ Why do you need to create the OJUJU CALABARS in the first place? Why do you need those to exist?
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 5:29pm On May 11, 2011
Who created the Ojuju Calabars?
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by bkbabe97y(m): 5:33pm On May 11, 2011
^^^^Dude, just tell us who you voted for! Oh boi, know wat, neva mind!

The mere fact that ure bent on evading this question until Jesus Christ returns, becomes a rapper,  and changes his  name to M.C  "J. Chris Balla" is enough to let me know what I need to know!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 5:35pm On May 11, 2011
Next!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by bkbabe97y(m): 5:36pm On May 11, 2011
^^^Exactly: PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On May 11, 2011
johnie:

Who created the Ojuju Calabars?

You did!!! There are no official documents declaring these people exist. In both cases, the ones YOU HAVE CHOSEN to label OJUJU CALABARS happen to be there because your so-called victims WANT THEM TO. So why perpetuate this need for OJUJU CALABAR even after it is all clear they do not exist?
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 6:06pm On May 11, 2011
I did?

Am I Abiodun234 who said:

"is this government ready to fight the cabals that profits from generator and diesel import? I am not sure except the president changes after may 29th."

or enyojo who said:

"I feel your pain. However the entire Ikorodu will never lack portable water again. That is if and when the Water Scheme by Fash is completed. but frm the look of things, it will take a long time say in 4 years time since there are cabals against speedy completion. May God help Fashola to squash them squarely."

ROFLMAO!
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On May 11, 2011
Those posted their opinions on here like everyone else. YOU however took it and made it fact by opening a thread and presenting those statements as facts.
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 6:10pm On May 11, 2011
What exactly are not facts?
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by Katsumoto: 6:14pm On May 11, 2011
johnie:

What exactly are not facts?

You were asked a direct question; you shouldn't be ashamed or afraid to state whom you voted for. Your inability to answer this very simple question leads some to conclude on whom you voted for and the reason for your angst.
Re: We Can't Progress With These Cabals. What should We Do About Them? by johnie: 6:21pm On May 11, 2011
Would it satisfy you if I told that I voted for Shekarau, Ribadu or Buhari?

I guess not.

What you want to hear is that I voted for Jonathan so that you can question my "moral right" to start this thread.

Okay, I did not vote for Jonathan so don't Bad-Belle me!

The post-election violence continues on Nairaland!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Igbos Always Move To SW When They're Asked To Go Back Home From The North / SALLAH TRAGEDY: Taraba State Governor,danbaba Suntai Survive Plane Crash / Anambra 2013:who Among These Gorvernorship Candidates Would Bring Devlopment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.