Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,581 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? (1405 Views)

Osun 2022: Adeleke's Campaign Team Says Sanwo-Olu Will End Up Like Oyetola / Can Nnamdi Kanu Lose His UK Citizenship? / Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer Writes UK Govt Concerning Kanu’s UK Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by cocolacec(m): 6:55pm On Jul 09, 2021
MATTERS ARISING: Can Nnamdi Kanu lose his UK citizenship?

It has been one week since the re-arrest of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), who is being prosecuted for alleged terrorism and treasonable felony.

A lot has happened since then: the UK started engaging Nigeria over the arrest of Kanu, who is also a British national; IPOB said its secessionist quest for Biafra continues; while the federal government claimed Kanu orchestrated the killing of 60 people in the country while he was abroad.

There have also been talks about the possibility of the separatist leader losing his British citizenship, with IPOB declared a terrorist organisation in Nigeria.

But can that happen?

WHEN CAN BRITISH CITIZENSHIP BE TAKEN AWAY?

The British nationality act empowers the UK to strip its nationals of their citizenship under certain circumstances.

Section 40(2) provides that the UK secretary of state can “deprive a person of a citizenship status if the Secretary of State is satisfied that deprivation is conducive to the public good”.

What then constitutes public good? A UK government document explains conduciveness to the public good to mean “depriving in the public interest on the grounds of involvement in terrorism, espionage, serious organised crime, war crimes or unacceptable behaviours”.

If such a person became a UK citizen by naturalisation, the conditions for stripping them of their nationality expand further to include: “If the Secretary of State is satisfied that the registration or naturalisation was obtained by means of—(a) fraud, (b) false representation, or (c) concealment of a material fact.”

NATURE OF KANU’S CITIZENSHIP MAKES HIS CASE WORSE

The nationality act law allows for consideration where someone could become stateless — that is, without a nationality — if their citizenship is revoked.

In cases where the “public good” is involved, it states that the UK secretary of state “may not make an order” revoking the citizenship “if he is satisfied that the order would make a person stateless”.

But there are exceptions provided, including if the person is not born in the UK.

Subsection 4(A) states such order can still be made if: “(a)the citizenship status results from the person’s naturalisation, (b)the Secretary of State is satisfied that the deprivation is conducive to the public good because the person, while having that citizenship status, has conducted him or herself in a manner which is seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom, any of the Islands, or any British overseas territory, and…

“(c)the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory.”

TheCable could not immediately verify the type of UK citizenship the IPOB leader has, but it is most likely that he became a national of the country by naturalisation.

The BBC reported that the IPOB leader, who claims he is a Jew, moved to the UK before he could complete his undergraduate studies at the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN).

That would mean that he is covered under the conditions for citizenship by naturalisation and dual nationality as provided under subsection 4(A).

WHO’S HAD THEIR UK CITIZENSHIP REVOKED IN THE PAST?

The British newspaper Independent reported in 2019 that at least 150 people have been stripped of their UK citizenship after being subjected to the measure for the “public good” since 2010.

It gets more interesting: nearly 70 percent of those revocations were in 2017, a sudden spike from what used to be a few deprivations.

A lot more persons have also been stripped of their British nationality and banned from returning to the UK, according to the UK Guardian, most of them suspected terrorists.

A particularly notable case was that of Shamima Begum, who left the UK in 2015 to join the Islamic State group in Syria as a 15-year-old.

In February 2021, the supreme court upheld the decision of Sajid Javid, then home secretary, to revoke Begum’s citizenship later in 2019.
Her citizen deprivation was thought to have been considered because of her dual nationality — she was born in the UK to parents of Bangladeshi heritage.

There is room for appeal for those who lost their citizenship. But Begum did so and lost.

In February this year, the supreme court upheld Javid’s decision and said, among other things, that: “There was no evidence before the Court as to whether the national security concerns about Ms Begum could be addressed and managed by her being arrested and charged upon her arrival in the UK, or by her being made the subject of a Terrorist Prevention and Investigation Measure.”

TERRORISM TOPS THE LIST OF REASONS

Available data show that, like Begum, most of the others whose British citizenship has been revoked have also been linked to terror-related activities.

IPOB, which Kanu set up in 2014, is only recognised as a terrorist organisation in Nigeria, where it was proscribed by the defence headquarters and the court in 2017.

The Buhari administration has been heavily criticised for the action while the UK has not said anything publicly about it. However, the British government is known to not take terror-related activities lightly when considering “public good”.

Most of those who have lost their British citizenship was as a result of links to terrorism, although some were not charged to court before the action was taken. El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey, who were both accused of belonging to an ISIS group involved in kidnappings in Iraq and Syria; Mohamed Sakr, who was suspected of being involved with al-Shabaab; and Hilal al Jedda, who was alleged to have recruited terrorists in Iraq are a few of those whose UK citizenship was taken away.

There have also been other cases not related to terrorism, including twelve of the 20 citizen revocations carried out in 2013 on grounds of fraud.

This does not mean that the UK is always fast to revoke citizenship where a serious crime is involved.

In 2005, Mark Thatcher, son of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was convicted in South Africa for funding the 2004 Equatorial Guinea coup attempt, but he remains a UK citizen.

Will Kanu end up like Thatcher or Begum?

https://www.thecable.ng/matters-arising-can-nnamdi-kanu-lose-his-uk-citizenship

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Simplyleo: 6:56pm On Jul 09, 2021
No, kanu will end up as a pig that he is.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by theTranslator: 7:12pm On Jul 09, 2021
Nnamdi is gone

IPOB should get a more sensible leader

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Investigative: 7:27pm On Jul 09, 2021
theTranslator:
Nnamdi is gone

IPOB should get a more sensible leader

UNITY BEGGAR

�✅❤️�You Are Going To ‘Paradise’ Direct If Kidnappers, Bandits Kill You— Islamic Cleric Tells Muslims

This is coming from illiterate who can’t differentiate between referendum and war

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by theTranslator: 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2021
Investigative:

UNITY BEGGAR

�✅❤️�You Are Going To ‘Paradise’ Direct If Kidnappers, Bandits Kill You— Islamic Cleric Tells Muslims

This is coming from illiterate who can’t differentiate between referendum and war
Check my posts then re say this trash

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Realtalk20: 8:00pm On Jul 09, 2021
Simplyleo:

We all know but you this talkative

Are you not tired ?

You always have to type what you think without first thinking grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2021
You people can continue dreaming about MNK loosing his British Citizenship, when you people are done you can then wake up from your dream

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Biafrannuke: 8:56pm On Jul 09, 2021
Stupid write up from a gutter media. No point, no conclusion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 09, 2021
In the case of Mr Thatcher, he is a native, indigenous to the land, so how can he lose his British passport or citizenship.

Most people who lose their British passport are non natives who were born in the uk.

A passport is just a piece of paper, an indigenous person can't lose his or her citizenship.

As for Nnamdi kanu, the chance of him losing his citizenship is 50/50. When he is convicted, we shall know
Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by velocity25(m): 10:27pm On Jul 09, 2021
Mazi Nnamdi Kanu even in prison still giving Nigeria govt.sleepless night.

2 Likes

Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by hegelian: 11:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
Simplyleo:

i know this s where we will find you, your problem is kanu and kanu alone..you can never be found where it matter, u cant be found on bandit killing thread, kidnapping of innocent people thread, killing by iswap thread even if its just to sympathize with the killed and prayed for their souls, why cos those lives doesnt matter to you, you a confirm and evil zombie...your own zombiesm is to the next level...

oya reply me with more of kanu stuff and maybe pix cos thats what you are programmed to do
Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Simplyleo: 11:27pm On Jul 09, 2021
[s]
hegelian:

i know this s where we will find you, your problem is kanu and kanu alone..you can never be found where it matter, u cant be found on bandit killing thread, kidnapping of innocent people thread, killing by iswap thread even if its just to sympathize with the killed and prayed for their souls, why cos those lives doesnt matter to you, you a confirm and evil zombie...your own zombiesm is to the next level...

oya reply me with more of kanu stuff and maybe pix cos thats what you are programmed to do
[/s]
Last time I checked, I'm not under any obligation to appear where you want. I chose the thread I want to make comment, not the one you want.

Secondly, I'm not even aware of your existence, let alone any knowledge of your appearances. You are free to engage your ilk in your convos, I don't have to be there.
Re: UK Citizenship:Will Kanu End Up Like Thatcher Or Begum? by Realtalk20: 7:02am On Jul 10, 2021
[s]
Simplyleo:
[s][/s]
Last time I checked, I'm not under any obligation to appear where you want. I chose the thread I want to make comment, not the one you want.

Secondly, I'm not even aware of your existence, let alone any knowledge of your appearances. You are free to engage your ilk in your convos, I don't have to be there.
[/s]

I was shocked yesterday to discover you are a Yoruba man. Why have you been pretending to be an Hausa man on this forum ? Your actions have brought disrepute to Hausa Fulani on this forum!! And you are always talking and talking and talking

Talkative

(1) (Reply)

Bad Portion Of Onitsha-enugu Express Way, Amansee Awka / Ohanaeze Announces Igbo Day Of Mourning / Magu’s SA Uncovers Tinubu, Osibanjo, Et Al As Conspirators Against Orji Kalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.