Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,636 members, 7,801,835 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park (40126 Views)

Passengers From North Disguised As "Press" Caught At Onitsha Head Bridge At 3am / Inspection Of Passengers’ Manifests At Onitsha Head-Bridge (Photos) / My Terrible Experience With #landstarexpress Motors Luxurious Bus Company. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Kingosytex(m): 6:04pm On Jul 10, 2021
Ojikutubaba:
South Easterners are criminals. Every one of them .

You are a big fool.
Sense is far from you.

Ewu Gambia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by PrisonEscapee(m): 6:13pm On Jul 10, 2021
Divinefavour1:
I had a similar experience two times but refused to pay for the fares.

I wasn't at peace going with such buses.

I normally use a delayed tactics to evade them either by pricing the fares below what they offer or asking for a nearby ATM or POS to zoom off.

The last time, I had to squeeze #100 into the hands of the agbero that wanted to snatch my bag and he became calm while I crossed to the other side of the road.

Since then, I have stopped giving them hint of my whereabouts whenever I move around with bags.

Agbero: Lagos, Abuja etc

Me: Thank you, I just returned from Kaduna

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Ezeanna: 6:15pm On Jul 10, 2021
The experiences of people being relayed here are terrifying mhen! Imagine being harrassed into a vehicle and made to pay double to triple of the normal fare, that's a terrible thing.
Good people should broadcast this thread on as many social media platforms as they can for a wider audience.

5 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by collagiatepaper: 6:16pm On Jul 10, 2021
This is not about tribalism. I have been to many cities in Nigeria like Benin, Asaba, Agbor, Enugu, Onitsha, Okigwe, Owerri, Aba, Nnewi, Lagos, Ibadan, Oshogbo, Ilorin, Offa, Jebba, Mokwa, Kaduna, Katsina, Kaura-Namoda, Okene, Lokoja, Kano, Makurdi, Calabar, Uyo, Port-Harcourt etc.

But to be sincere and candid, the only place I have seen the worst kind of tout(agbero) is in LAGOS. They operate with the connivance of police, army, etc. People like MC OLUOMO are products of motorpark touting that's so rampant in Lagos and southwest states. They even sow uniforms with ID cards, different groups like that, chasing people everywhere.

LAGOS is also known for traffic robberies which is even worse than motorpark touting.

Sentiment aside but that's the situation in Lagos. We must call a spade, a spade for once

prof2007:
Africans are very SENTIMENTAL. That is part of why the c
ontinent is faced with gross under-development, despite being the most resource-and-climate-rich region on this planet!his is not about TRIBE or REGION. These are personal experiences being shared by people who suffered such. I have lived in and/or visited places like Benin, Asaba, Agbor, Enugu, Onitsha, Okigwe, Owerri, Aba, Nnewi, Lagos, Ibadan, Oshogbo, Ilorin, Offa, Jebba, Mokwa, Kaduna, Katsina, Kaura-Namoda, Okene, Lokoja, Kano, Makurdi, Calabar, Uyo, Port-Harcourt etc.
I can authoritatively tell you that my worst experiences with touts, fake local government officials, and criminal-minded policemen, have been at ONITSHA. Remember that there could be innocent souls planning to travel that route, and whose money, property, peace of mind or even lives might be saved by reading this type of post by the OP.
Sentiment and tribal jingoism aside, let's learn to call a spade a spade!

4 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Isaactroy(m): 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2021
Amojii:
Double meat...

Use the goat for pepper soup and smoke the Python for later use.
Sorry buddy, wrong reply on the wrong post
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Dopenigga(m): 6:18pm On Jul 10, 2021
Omo, I don get experience from this thread sha. Going with a pen knife when next i am going to onitsha. Them go see werey by force

2 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Kingosytex(m): 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2021
PotatoSalad:
Na Enugu own shock me. Bought palms from shoe sellers at holy ghost.
Palms was 2k o. Na so one guy say make e help me knack am nail so that e no go quick spoil. I was still talking with the seller, I don already dey hear kpa kpa kpa. Turned around, oga Wetin be dis. My luck be say the 2k still dey my hand, I quickly left them. How it ended up, i no know.
Na so my guy tell me say e get one girl wey buy 1500 shoe, dem knack those nails for her finish tell am say na 3500 for putting nails. On top shoe 1500. Asin Nail come cost pass shoe. grin

Dem don chop you.
Onye eriri erigo ya.
Sorry for the experience shaa...
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Kingosytex(m): 6:27pm On Jul 10, 2021
uniogid:
hey hey heeeey my people mine was so painful I didn't know some1 will bring this out for the whole world to know op thank you o for this opportunity for me to post my experience with this people, it happens that I and my husband and my kiddo we we're traveling from asaba to akwa ibom as we came down from that bridge we were with loads so we wanted to go and board the young bus so we need to cross the ever busy highway to the other side where the park was or go through the pedestrian bridge, we we're still standing and discussing on the best route to take this young guy appeared from gods know where and offered to help us take our load across the bridge then we will give him anything we didn't want to, so the man was like''you wan kill yourself with this box u tink say u go fit carry this box cross this bridge u no know say u be woman una stingy that's why una no wanake I help una make una give me anytin" so my husband said ok carry but we no give u reach #500 OK he said no problem so when we got down from the bridge we we're screaming for him to drop our load this time he was walking very fast I told him he doesn't know where we were going he said h knew we were travelers goimg to the park I pointed to the young shall I saw in a park I saw closeby he said I shouldn't worry walking as fast as his legs could carry him then he got to a park we told him it wasn't the park we were going he said the young cannot load now and even if it did it cant take us to where we were. Going that same day so he took us to his Oga in the park then the Oga collected #5k each for each of us with abeg total #15000 we told him akwa ibom he said yes he carried diff state long story short after wasting our time he issued a ticked to owerri fo r us after allowing us to settle in the car then pushed the driver to driver we were all screaming after seing the ticket we got to owerri park the driver was acting innocent although he dropped us at owerri people were crying seriously I almost cried my eyes out that day so we paid extra money to abia state and another extra money to akwa ibom and from akwa ibom another extra money to oron it was such a terrible experience

Pathetic!!!! Sorry for the horrible experience.
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Kingosytex(m): 6:29pm On Jul 10, 2021
phorget:
That is how they operate...
I've experienced it ones and I swear I would have shot some people dead had it been I have a gun. Igbos are so heartless.

The bolded is uncalled for. There are bad eggs in every tribe.
I am an Igbo and I condemn such. I can't even see myself making someone pass through such horrible experience.

4 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Kenarr(m): 6:30pm On Jul 10, 2021

7 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by collagiatepaper: 6:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
Whatever Onitsha has in terms of motorpark touting, Lagos has it 100x. That's just the bitter truth. Onitsha is learning where Lagos is in the areas of motorpark touts. There's nothing like traffic robbery in Onitsha. Traffic robbery is a Lagos thing. You can write from here to Jericho, it doesn't stop the fact that Onitsha is by far safer than Lagos and PH.

Onitsha is a major economic hub and greener pasture for all the neighbouring states in igbo land and beyond. Onitsha will continue to attract largest visitors and residents in the region. Upper Iweka has been transformed and it is safer from what it used to be 15yrs ago. Overall, Onitsha is safe and secure as the economic capital of Nigeria aside Lagos.

Kenarr:
I was born and raised in Onitsha before I got a job in Lagos and I must say that what op narrated has been happening and people have been complaining and lamenting over this issue yet nothing has been done or is been done to stop it. During December period, I was listening to a radio station and people were calling in to complain over this same matter on air yet this broad day light robbery goes unabated. It's very disheartening and more so heartwrenching that people now mind their business when they see this happening to you and leaves you to ur fate. I haven't had the experience, but my girlfriend has. She was traveling to Lagos and the mistake she made was telling them where she was going. She was going to God is good motors Asaba but they ended up putting her in their own vehicle. She paid twice the amount and ended up being dropped off at ojota which wasn't her last bus stop. Whenever am traveling back to Onitsha, am always in a pensive mood especially if we are entering Onitsha late because of what I will encounter at upper Iweka. That place is a den of armed robbers and lately they are becoming even more daring than before. Lagos is not even remotely close to what Onitsha has become. To some people saying that there is no traffic robbery in Onitsha, I say to u, have u been on Owerri road at night? It's the worst place to be at night in traffic, u may even lose ur life. Yes, I agree that traffic robbery is not too rampant but that's because there is not too many traffic in Onitsha compared to Lagos.
I have been in an intercity bus when I noticed two young boys of Yoruba descent lamenting of how they came all the way from Lagos only to be robbed of their phones in Onitsha. It's not about being smart. Something really needs to be done concerning this issue and am happy op raised this issue at least so others can learn from this. They have succeeded in pushing most Onitsha people and others who know whats up in going to Asaba to board a bus going to Lagos. It's most unfortunate that thousands of people enter Ontisha on a daily basis from other states and leaves Onitsha with a bitter experience. Cursing an swearing never to have anything to-do with Onitsha again. It's that bad. It's even more unfortunate that because of the commercial nature of Onitsha being that it attracts numerous people from neighboring states who enter Onitsha to do business and other things, these touts never run out of victims to oppress.

3 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Kingosytex(m): 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2021
KosiGee:

What’s that? You keep ‘manufacturing’ words here. What’s going on?

Puerileness...never heard that. Did you mean to write ‘puerility’ or ‘puerilism’?? Why not use childishness bro.
Keep blaming your keyboard.
cheesy

At the bolded, you will not kill me. grin grin grin
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by EMMY76: 7:29pm On Jul 10, 2021
This is really very terrible the last time I traveled from ontisha to owerri I paid just #500.
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 10, 2021
Benzemma:

Guy am full blooded Igbo. I feel more safe both in park and on the street ( day time precisely) than Onitsha, cos my recent encounter and the story i have been hearing from people concerning theft in Onitsha made me believe that Onitsha is the worst city to be. A city where you will get robbed in public on a broad daylight and no body dares come to your rescue or questioning them, not even the police. I repeat Lagos is much better than Onitsha. Igbo leaders should do something B4 it's too late.

I am igbo...but lagos is bla bla bla

Are u from anambra state?

I can only take you serious if you are from anambra else shut it

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Nezzjnr: 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2021
OLULAW:

On Sunday, they'll all go to church for mass and continue the cycle of evil from Monday to Saturday. That's your introduction to Igbo land and culture. Only a few days ago I recollected, as if it was yesterday, an experience I had as a 16 year old. I genuinely wanted to purchase my first pair of jeans trouser. As I arrived Oyingbo market, a bunch of middle-age Igbo shop keepers lured me (as I would later realise) into a shop and forced me to buy from them. I told them I wanted to see what's on offer in other kiosks before making up my mind. I was literally told that I either buy from them or won't make it alive out of the closet. I paid for the item and left. By and large, the Igbos are desperate for wealth and it really doesn't matter how you make it.

Before you start calling me Yoruba n gbati, my both parents are Igbos. I was raised partly in Kano (0-14) and later in Lagos (14+)
Oyingbo market in Lagos??
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by collagiatepaper: 7:45pm On Jul 10, 2021
Onitsha is by far safer and secured than Lagos where people are robbed in broad day light in Lagos streets.

I feel safe at Upper Iweka than even in front of government house in Lagos.

Lagos is the most dangerous and most unliveable city in the world. This is a fact everyone knows

Benzemma:

Guy am full blooded Igbo. I feel more safe both in park and on the street ( day time precisely) than Onitsha, cos my recent encounter and the story i have been hearing from people concerning theft in Onitsha made me believe that Onitsha is the worst city to be. A city where you will get robbed in public on a broad daylight and no body dares come to your rescue or questioning them, not even the police. I repeat Lagos is much better than Onitsha. Igbo leaders should do something B4 it's too late.

2 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by OLULAW: 8:17pm On Jul 10, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Oyingbo market in Lagos??

Where else can Oyingbo be found?
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Nezzjnr: 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
OLULAW:

Where else can Oyingbo be found?
Those people need to be dealt with sincerely... Gosh I'm Igbo but I don't care how they treat those Miscreants that make money by making other people cry
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by PotatoSalad(m): 8:39pm On Jul 10, 2021
Kingosytex:

Dem don chop you.
Onye eriri erigo ya.
Sorry for the experience shaa...
Try to dey read my guy.
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Benzemma(m): 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2021
ELKHALIFAISIS:
efulefu get out of my way... the Touts in lagos and ogun nko

If you like call me names.
Ìhè m ma bu na mụ agwala gị nke bu eziokwu!

Take it or leave it, Lagos is far better than Onitsha when it comes to daylight theft.
Some part in Lagos are safe to stay, but every where in Onitsha is dangerlously dangerloss!

4 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by hedonido: 8:42pm On Jul 10, 2021
Trojan8:
Had a terrible experience at Emeka Offor Plaza. I went there to get a phone only to end up at the shop of a supposed software engineer because I was with my other device that had issues. He said he was going to scan a dead device to see the problem and then someone good at hardware would fix it based on his recommendations.
He nonchalantly told me that it was just #15 per scan so I asked him how many things he was going to scan which he ignored. Before I knew it they were more than 10 guys, at the end of the day he brought out one rubbish from his system claiming he scanned about 700 information that my bill was #10,500. That was where the harassment started. I ended up paying #6,500. Even before I left there, I knew it was a fucking scam. I was just at a loss how someone would rent a shop at a plaza just to be carrying out that kind of rubbish scam.

Oboy this shit is funny as hell. Chai. See package o. Lol. Sorry man.
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Benzemma(m): 8:45pm On Jul 10, 2021
ELKHALIFAISIS:
efulefu get out of my way... the Touts in lagos and ogun nko

Ìhè m mà bu na mụ agwala gị nke bu eziokwu.

Take it or leave it, Lagos is far more better than Onitsha both day and night.

Some part in Lagos is safe to stay. But the whole of Onitsha is dangerlously dangerloss!

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Engrr(m): 8:46pm On Jul 10, 2021
Alliteration:

Seriously... Ah! The driver was lamenting that it was his first time too... He was hijacked

Don't mind the driver, He is part of the gang!. Though I am from South East, I have experienced it once while i was in School, was travelling to Lagos through Onitsha
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by pixey(m): 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2021
collagiatepaper:
Onitsha is by far safer and secured than Lagos where people are robbed in broad day light in Lagos streets.

I feel safe at Upper Iweka than even in front of government house in Lagos.

Lagos is the most dangerous and most unliveable city in the world. This is a fact everyone knows

I never knew Anambra natives are quite the stubborn type.Your inability to reason is evident here. Nobody is being a bigot here. Instead of attacking majority of people who gave their accounts.Have an open mind.

8 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by skywalker95(m): 8:56pm On Jul 10, 2021
I've had to stop at Onitcha a couple of times enroute Nnewi but I've never experienced any kind of harassment. Reading through this thread, I now understand why family keeps warning to never stop at Onitcha. I feel sorry for all those with bad experiences but it doesn't mean all Igbos are criminally minded tho. Bad people exist in every society, especially when there's no system to checkmate their excesses.
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by oxiide22(m): 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2021
pocohantas:
They are everywhere in the East. Go to Aba, you will see them there too.

The first step to conquer them is to go from English to Igbo (or any local language) in seconds. As in, change it so fast they will be shocked. If you do ajebo for them, they will bully you into the bus. They capitalize on your fear and naiveness. Show no fear o.

Many times when I found myself in their midst, I flip on them and the first thing they always say is “so you know how to speak Igbo and you are doing ajebo since”. Very nonsense people. I pushed one that was trying to harass me. He didn’t even see it coming. He was lucky I wasn’t with any object, I no mind to chook am for eye as e take vex me that day.
Lol, what's that your object?
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by kriss27(m): 9:07pm On Jul 10, 2021
collagiatepaper:
You will always go to Onitsha because the city is a major transportation hub in the entire eastern region. People from Asaba, Awka, Enugu, Owerri, etc usually troop to Onitsha to join Lagos or Abuja bus.

What happened to you is an isolated case, next time go to the major transportation companies at Upper Iweka like GUO, AGOFURO, GOD IS GOOD, ABC, CHISCO, etc. They are many.

Didn’t you see where he wrote that the keke rider diverted them!

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by destaro(m): 9:10pm On Jul 10, 2021
It happened to me last year, same park...I asked one man to take me to pmt and he took me to that park. Had to pay 2500 or risked being rubbed. After leaving the park I told the driver I would treat his fk as a ph guy for road, e no reach 5mins still within town the driver said his bus was overheating. Had to get another bus to Owerri. That was how I spent 3200 from Onitsha to Owerri
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Midex88(m): 9:11pm On Jul 10, 2021
Naija which way
Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by collagiatepaper: 9:24pm On Jul 10, 2021
pixey:

I never knew Anambra natives are quite the stubborn type.Your inability to reason is evident here. Nobody is being a bigot here. Instead of attacking majority of people who gave their accounts.Have an open mind.

You are the one that has the inability to reason. Why can't you understand that what the OP is talking about is a common thing in major cities, but it is worse in Lagos

2 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park by Tydarl: 9:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
collagiatepaper:

I am right now in Onitsha and it is cool. I can confidently tell you that motorpark touting is the same everywhere in Nigeria. Lagos and Ibadan are even worse, particularly Lagos

You are one heartless and insincere person. Damn!

No conscience, just bent on defending Onitsha that has gone to the dogs! Read the room and stop being such a heartless marauder. Let people write their bitter experiences here so that others can learn and not fall victim. What is wrong with you!!

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do / Over 20 People, Children Die In Cars Trapped In Snow Storm In Pakistan(Photos) / Welcome To Asaba Waterfront City Project (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.