Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? (21452 Views)

My Daughter Of 4+ Years Would Not Allow Me And Wife Have Sex At Night / Does My Brother's Wife Have The Right To Walk Me Out Of My Brother's House ? / Should Husband Not Often Call His Father In Law And Mother In Law For Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by silibaba: 8:20pm On Jul 10, 2021
Martinez39s:
See this woman. grin
or you mean WOMAN WRAPPER grin

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by buzquet(m): 8:21pm On Jul 10, 2021
Smart Husband that want to control and be in charge won't try such

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by 1kinggy(m): 8:21pm On Jul 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:
Am confuse about it... Must we have joint account? embarassed

It is not compulsory. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Martinez39s(m): 8:22pm On Jul 10, 2021
silibaba:
or you mean WOMAN WRAPPER grin
I desperately don't want to believe a man can sink so low. grin
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by izzou(m): 8:22pm On Jul 10, 2021
Obakoolex:

You are wise with your assumption but many won't see it so...ever since my woman came into my life, my finances has grown higher even business grown larger all because she's better than me in finances. So I wonder why I won't have a joint but of course be in charge of all finances as the man of the house

Nairaland is a place devoid of maturity and reasonable discourse.

I don't type for likes. I have a relationship and I am advising the op based on my experience.

Calling me simp, woman wrapper, and all that won't change anything.

When the time comes, I'll take my decision myself.

Leave them to wallow in their fun grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by lawrenzooo: 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2021
No.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Vicyace: 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2021
Damn'!!
This mindset is warped I swear down
Giving your wife financial autonomy or superiority is dangerous? So you see your wife as inferior?

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For what reason exactly?
Except your wife is the breadwinner and you need to keep a tab on her spending, I don't see a reason strong enough to necessitate the need for a joint savings account amongst couples.

But if you must have a joint acount with your wife, then the mandate on it MUST be that she will have to co-sign with you while you can sign alone on it.
The transaction alerts should also go to you alone.

Giving your wife financial autonomy or financial superiority is like buying a bullet for the assassin who has been paid to kill you.

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by nedekid: 8:25pm On Jul 10, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Nope,this your submission doesn't follow.

Every relationship is unique, to that effect every family should deal with what works for them.

1. A family may do well when the woman handles finances, so the joint account is overseen by the woman and she gives a statement of credits and spending by month end.

This will work in a setting where the man is a high risk taker there by a good earner and doesn't do well with savings, most times you'll find men like this settling with ladies who's risk appetite is not as much as theirs and handles money better.

2. A family will do well if the man happens to manage finances better than the woman, he earns well and equally handles money better than the woman, so in this case the woman makes a budget and bring to him, he then funds it.

Above all, trust should be built in all long term relationships and everyone should be open and seek the best interest of the relationship rather than self.
Nice submission.
If I may ask, how long have you been married?

2 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 10, 2021
Would be much better if the married ones share their experiences on this topic instead of reading opinions of teens and unmarried fellas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by otokx(m): 8:27pm On Jul 10, 2021
Different strokes for different folks; what really is the point of joint accounts in an Africa setting?
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by MoIbrahim: 8:27pm On Jul 10, 2021
For what again? grin
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by okoroemeka(m): 8:28pm On Jul 10, 2021
izzou:
My girlfriend has always been better with finances than me. She's very prudent.

When we get married, I would definitely put her in charge of our finances.

So my good friend, the most prudent person concerning money should be in charge.

That's my advice
same with me,I consume money like old Bedford truck,my wife is always better with finance,she always bails me out in tough situations and I will not hesitate to put her charge but male ego will not allow me,it's better to your tents O isreal in matters concern money.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by frog12: 8:29pm On Jul 10, 2021
the WOMAN go spend and dash everything like JEFF BEZOS wife dey give free BILLIONS grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Yusufisraelj(m): 8:29pm On Jul 10, 2021
nedekid:

Nice submission.
If I may ask, how long have you been married?

Lols, funnily I'm not married, in fact looking for a bae wink
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by nedekid: 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
Sunnycliff:

Premium tears, loading
Them no de tell person undecided
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by frozen70(f): 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Only couples who are friends to each other

Transparent to each other

Protective of each other

Loves each other without faults

They are the only set of people that can operate joint accounts

4 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by GeneralPula: 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
In davoleeā€™s voice..

Person wey get ulcer dey fast & pray is very delicate..
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by izzou(m): 8:31pm On Jul 10, 2021
okoroemeka:
same with me,I consume money like old Bedford truck,my wife is always better with finance,she always bails me out in tough situations and I will not hesitate to put her charge but male ego will not allow me,it's better to your tents O isreal in matters concern money.

grin grin grin

Accountability is a core part of marriage.

Forget all these dimwits shouting simp oh. No follow their mouth.

If you have a weakness and your other half is stronger there, rely on them.

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by ikdaddy01(m): 8:32pm On Jul 10, 2021
Can only be applied and work when the wife is making the money
Believe i have seen plenty.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2021
Yass. It's fun.

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Afamsi: 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2021
If the bread winner is extravagant yes for more controlled spending
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Trutherme: 8:39pm On Jul 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

I think so. But only one joint account though! I have a joint account with my wife which we use for daily expenses.

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:
NO!!!

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Mightykola: 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
True talk
Yusufisraelj:

All this talk from baseless insight and fake leadership. A show of force that's just a form of it but lacking meaning and substance in any direction to bring meaningful progress to any home.

What nonsense, the earlier you know that no two relationship is the same, the better.

Who ever does better, should lead in that place. When homes/relationships are run on meritocracy you find, peace, tranquility and undiluted love. It will be excellence all the way.

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Tdotbluejays1: 8:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
Nothing wrong with that As long as you both know what you are capable of.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by BlackKing555: 8:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
hurryup123:

sorry, maybe u wia hurt in the past by that gender

If my mum can be dishonest with money then I personally can't trust nobody

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by nedekid: 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
Oga, my older brother, 4 years older than me got married (married late). Next thing all the wedding gift money etc they placed inside joint account. All his money too he moved into joint account. Haba! I used style to hint him to cautious for where? He said in marriage classes, they told them never to hide anything from themselves and should have joint account ie " bone of my bone". I knew love was shaking him so no reasoning.
Wife went to birth in Us, offcouse she wanted baby pram of $1200, wristwatch for her mother of $900 etc. Haba, shebi money de joint acct grin
Dude has his business, wife works and earns good. Bro funds the joint account, wife de maintain her own personal account with her salary.
Nna 6 years later we stumbled into some money, I had to tell my bro not to declare to his wife oh let her not tell my own and cause problems for me. My guy say declare watin? Say if I knew what he went through over joint account ehh. Eg, a new car, fridge is needed, Until that money finishes. Bros don wisen up. Lol
Any wise man will tell you that you are just causing problems for yourself. Have your account and let her have hers. It makes life easier.

8 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by FORWARDEVERLY: 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Only a foolish man would do so...

Only have a joint account with your wife is she is earning higher than you. .
Women would support it cos most times their men earn more than them but you would never see any woman that earns way more than her husband accept such..

The earlier men realise to be self centered is the best, the better for them..

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by nwachukwu9(m): 8:55pm On Jul 10, 2021
They question you asked is relative, it means they answer can be yes or no depending on certain conditions.
For me personally I can't try it with my wife, reason is because
1) she may appear to be good, but when they test of time comes she is likely to fail, no need for giving satan a chance, remember to love everyone but trust no one. She may withdraw all they money in the account for high risk investment which may fail, and our money would sink, but what if we had separate account, I can use my account to lift her up again
2) She would know virtually every thing I do with my funds, and may discourage me from carrying out projects that would touch people lives.
3) She may not be putting anything into the account and still have they ability to withdraw everything and pull me down.
For me I can't try it, but I would always be a responsible husband and father

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by KillamanJoe: 8:56pm On Jul 10, 2021
Well, we have have a joint account and we contribute monthly for house expenses and children savings (shares). Both of us have personal accounts.

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2021
nomenclature:
You are very proud to say you are not prudent with money ,as old as you are ......this is just an excuse for simping

It's not about age. He's just being factual.

At least he realises it's a shortcoming and has forseen a way of managing the situation.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Seeks Dissolution Of 15 Years Marriage Over Nagging / I Suspect My Friend Of Bad Luck Aura / Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.