Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo (7333 Views)

Nairaland BMC's Trying To Hold Nigeria Together(GRAPHIC) / Olu Falae: Yoruba Is The Glue Holding Nigeria Together / Yoruba Deserve 2023 Presidency, The Igbos Not A Serious People- Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by stephanie11: 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2021
By Fredrick ‘Mr OneNigeria’ Nwabufo

The media naturally should serve only the public interest. What determines ‘’public interest’’ may be amorphous, but safety and security are principal elements of communal interest. The security of the nation and its people can be said to be a staple of shared interests. Therefore, national interest is a subset of public interest. To serve the public interest is to preserve the nation’s interest and security.

Nigeria’s constitution delineates the place of the media in the country. Section 22, chapter 2 of the canon says: ‘’The press, radio, television and other agencies of the mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.’’

Also, section 24 says: ‘’It shall be the duty of every citizen to - (a) abide by this constitution, respect its ideals and its institutions, the national flag, the national anthem, the national pledge, and legitimate authorities; (b) help to enhance the power, prestige and good name of Nigeria, defend Nigeria...’’

It is clear here that as media practitioners and citizens our duty is to the country and its people – ‘’holding the government to account and enhancing the power, prestige and good name of Nigeria’’.

Service to Nigeria is not a favour or obeisance to the government. Government will come and go, but Nigeria remains. Service to Nigeria is a duty to its people. Love for country is not lust for government, and loyalty to country is not servitude to government. Are we really doing our bounden duty as citizens and as seekers and keepers of the truth?

The Nigerian media is one that is somewhat politically governed. Some media organisations are owned by politically-exposed persons who are in different political parties. These media organisations are sometimes deployed to fight political battles, compromising the sanctity of information. Whose interest will these agencies naturally serve, their patron’s or Nigeria’s? This is the dilemma.

I shudder when I hear the statements of some political leaders and self-canonised activists – utterances belched from the bowels of prejudice and malice. But I am distressed when I find these blighted comments, which are capable of inciting violence, on the front pages or top corners of news publications. Everyone deserves to be heard, but can we modulate the outcome and concomitants of a potentially combustible statement? Is not judicious to control it from the source?

I recall the statements of Sunday Igboho which set off attacks on the Fulani in Igangan, Oyo state. These statements were given prominence in the media and Igboho was reported as an ‘’activist and youth leader’’ by a section of the media, ignoring his antecedents, and the precedent of his actions.

I understand the argument that the comments would have rippled on social media, regardless of whether it was published by the popular media. But the media as an agency of truth adds legitimacy to whatever is said. By reporting ‘’hate speech’’, the media cannot insulate itself from the collateral impact of bigotry.

Personally, I am of the view that voices of discord and anarchy should be muted. In the West, people who make homophobic, racist and sexist comments are de-platformed – shut out of the media. But why do we here give our platforms to anarchists and bigots?

Also, there seems to be a preponderance of negative news. This is understandable considering its ‘’market value’’. But as John Momoh, Channels TV CEO, advised in a paper he delivered at the National Defence College in 2016: “The media should avoid getting carried away by overstating negative news while under reporting positive developments’’.

In all, we cannot have a peaceful and secure country if we are remiss in our responsibility as gatekeepers. That Nigeria is still a going venture is largely because of the commitment of the media to the country’s unity.

We need to bond our voices as professionals for a united and progressive country. The military force cannot defeat insecurity without the ‘’national force’’ – which comprises the civil population. As Barack Obama said: “We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we have set. We have got to have civilian national security force that is just as powerful, just as strong.’’ Nigeria’s unity is under threat as well its peace. It is the responsibility of every citizen to defend it.

It is in commitment to my purpose and belief that I have convened an ideological group, ‘Journalists for United Nigeria (JUN)’; a think-factory for idealists who trust in the possibilities of a greater Nigeria. Nigeria can be better.

At this tempestuous moment, citizens need to rise up and pull our nose-diving country from a plunge to certain death. With great power, comes great responsibility.

Nigeria is ours to salvage. More Nigerian journalists and citizens are welcome to join me on this cause.

https://politicsnigeria.com/keeping-nigeria-together-and-the-medias-dilemma-by-fredrick-nwabufo/

3 Likes

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by somito121(m): 2:57pm On Jul 11, 2021
God help us all
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by JoeEeL(m): 6:09am On Jul 12, 2021
This clown again.

You hardly repeatedly hear One USA, One Finland, One Canada, One Australia, One France, One Norway, One Spain.
It's always One Nigeria, One Nigeria. Cos the unity is fake!

Suck it up, Mr Frederick Nwabeufuor whatever your name is. You say Nigeria should be one but you don't know Borno already have Boko Haram newly installed as a governor, with Zulum merely being ceremonial? And you're still fighting for One Nigeria? The solution to idiiots like this is for Fulani herdsmen to locate them.

Your kinsmen paid the ultlimate price in the Biafra war and I cant but imagine their pains in the grave when they realise they had offspring as foolish as you or Igbokwe.

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Timekeeper: 6:10am On Jul 12, 2021
angry angry
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Jestin: 6:10am On Jul 12, 2021
The problem we have in Nigeria is our old analogue politicians. I hope and pray we vote for a digital leader in 2023.
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Zico5(m): 6:11am On Jul 12, 2021
To say the fact, nothing can keep this country together. The North and the South are like Darkness and Light. The more we are trying to keep it together, the more the country divide. The only thing the North want is to keep on feasting on the wealth of the South. They should allow the south to go in peace so that they can concentrate on their lives. The marriage is not do or die.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Monogamy: 6:11am On Jul 12, 2021
The media in Nigeria are also carried away with the events happening in the country

1 Like

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by CHANNELStv2020: 6:12am On Jul 12, 2021
Divide the ZOO

2 Likes

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by omowolewa: 6:14am On Jul 12, 2021
Dialogue and not division is the way to go.

Media is just a channel of information and not the information itself. Since the information is real, it will find a way of reaching out as rumour.

2 Likes

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Johnrake69: 6:15am On Jul 12, 2021
What's this guy really talking about?

The examples he gave leaves much to be desired.

Why didn't he use Buhari's 93% and 5% remark to illustrate his point.

Chief bigot is the one in Aso rock so before you start muting people make sure you mute him first. Anytime he opens his mouth it's always a disaster.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by benuejosh: 6:16am On Jul 12, 2021
All they are after is making Buhari's administration fails. Bring up news that are fake and not show casing his achievements.

But ONE NIGERIA is here to stay till forever. The media can't cause the division is this country. And if they try, I think Buhari will have to Ban the media too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by tillaman(m): 6:17am On Jul 12, 2021
Mr Frederick me I don’t have a problem with your article but nah that your sharing ratio me I no understand o
Which kind formula you use for that map?? U nor try for that one o

2 Likes

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Elostar: 6:20am On Jul 12, 2021
E
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by BKayy: 6:22am On Jul 12, 2021
Nothing can bring a dead thing back to life.
Nigeria is an abomination.
We refuse to be kept in a Zoo by Britain.
We are free people

6 Likes

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Futurecrypto1: 6:23am On Jul 12, 2021
This country needs to divide,we don't love ourselves no matter how we pretend. Let everybody go there seperate ways,no be by Force to dey together.
If you want to make money online click the link my signature,all you have to do is roll every hour. I recently got paid. Registration is completely free.

1 Like

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Sonnobax15(m): 6:23am On Jul 12, 2021
shocked

I thought keeping Nigeria together is a dream that has come true since they kidnapped Nnamdi kanu tongue

Now I see the reason why most nigerians were in full support of the italy winning the Euros last night.....dem still dey para for mazi lord lugard grin
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:25am On Jul 12, 2021
Peace and tranquility is all we want in our nation

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:25am On Jul 12, 2021
We can rise together as a nation.
We can rise together as one
Our huge population should be an advantage to us as a nation.
Nigeria will succeed.

Nigeria is blessed with incredibly rich diversity: of people, of cultures, of religions, of mineral resources, oil, and gas, amazingly rich biodiversity, that should make us the envy of the world. We are blessed with abundantly diverse agro-ecologies that should also make us a land of bountiful harvests with capacity to feed Africa.

We are a religious nation, so we should understand that God loves diversity. The diversity of rich and brilliant colours that we see in our forests, oceans, seas, and in flora and fauna, reflect the beauty of the Creator. Therefore, our diversity is not our problem.

Diversity is our strength. But when mismanaged, diversity becomes divergence. Rather than unite, we become splintered, with each entity believing that, somehow, it is better without the other. We must manage diversity for collective good.

Nigeria must start managing its diversity for prosperity. We must drive for national cohesion, not ethnic nationalities. We must address the fundamental reasons for agitations, by listening, understanding, removing prejudices and allowing for open, national dialogues, without preconditions, but with one goal: build one cohesive, united, fair, just and equitable nation for all, not for a few or for any section of the nation or religion.

Nigerians deserve wealth, not poverty. For all the abundant wealth of natural resources, Nigeria’s poverty situation is unacceptable. Today, sadly, there are way too many poor people in Nigeria.
The Government is implementing bold social programmess to reduce the number of poor, through interventionist programmes, but the fact of the matter is poverty is not just about money.

God bless Nigeria

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by blackpanda: 6:27am On Jul 12, 2021
This sounds like a thesis undecided
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 12, 2021
Sounds like you problem
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by directonpc(m): 6:28am On Jul 12, 2021
Happy New week fellow Nigerians!
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:29am On Jul 12, 2021
Service to Nigeria is not a favour or obeisance to the government. Government will come and go, but Nigeria remains.
Service to Nigeria is a duty to its people.
Love for country is not lust for government, and loyalty to country is not servitude to government. Are we really doing our bounden duty as citizens and as seekers and keepers of the truth?
End of Thread!!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Cnach: 6:35am On Jul 12, 2021
When u started ur example with Igboho it means nothing good can come out from ur report bc it is biased. Igboho started this year but provocative statements started as far as 2014 and his is never the loudest but the fear of DSS has made u omit every other one only to take Igboho bc he is not with power. Go to hell

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by BanevsJoker(m): 6:39am On Jul 12, 2021
This man is lost. All the Buhari and Miyetti Allah inciting utterances were not mentioned even as they led to actual mass murder. There hasn't been any report that Igbohos statements have led to any deaths yet. Mr. Nwabufor, please relocate to the North and enjoy your One Nigeria there.

4 Likes

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Cnach: 6:40am On Jul 12, 2021
benuejosh:
All they are after is making Buhari's administration fails. Bring up news that are fake and not show casing his achievements.

But ONE NIGERIA is here to stay till forever. The media can't cause the division is this country. And if they try, I think Buhari will have to Ban the media too.
Which achievement? Only someone who is stupid would be excavating the media for achievement without comparing the price of 100g indomie noodles as of 2014 and 2020. What achievement again do u want them to project? How much were u buying a cup of rice last year and how is it today?
Relocate from zone B o, media should do all thinking for u

1 Like

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Realtalk20: 6:46am On Jul 12, 2021
Abeg some of us don dey office make Una try rest na new week be this
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Seniorwriter(m): 6:46am On Jul 12, 2021
Jestin:
The problem we have in Nigeria is our old analogue politicians. I hope and pray we vote for a digital leader in 2023.

We need young visionary leaders come 2023...that's the campaign join the voice and sensitization.
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by Conner44: 6:47am On Jul 12, 2021
okay but the truth is that both pdp and apc have to go away on relegation for nigeria to remain as one.

anything apart from this is just going to be another 'merry-go-round' for everyone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by dmbb: 6:58am On Jul 12, 2021
This Fredrick is a very useless boy that lacks home training
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by FreeStuffsNG: 7:00am On Jul 12, 2021
stephanie11:

https://politicsnigeria.com/keeping-nigeria-together-and-the-medias-dilemma-by-fredrick-nwabufo/
Quite insightful and patriotic. I keep wondering how suddenly an Igboho of PDP became an " Activist " and NK, another PDP member, became a " Separatist " when they are demonstrably confirmed bigots and fronts for vicious state actors struggling for political power. There is no difference between the two and Shekau who is equally narcissistic.
I commend the author for challenging the media do its job in a patriotic manner. May God bless Nigeria
Re: Keeping Nigeria Together And The Media’s Dilemma - Fredrick Nwabufo by gidgiddy: 7:17am On Jul 12, 2021
post=103619106:
Peace and tranquility is all we want in our nation

Nigerians are the only people on earth who expect peace, on top of a mountain of injustice

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Subsidy Thieves Own Most Private-Jets – Falana / MINISTERIAL LIST: Buhari Dumps Amaechi And Others / Top 5 Richest State In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.