Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,770 members, 7,802,355 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? (951 Views)

Is Eating In A Dream Necessarily Bad? / What Did Adam Gain From Eating Of The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good & Evil? / Funke Felix-Adejumo: "The Side Chick Is Eating Your Remnant, Act Unbothered" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by binoosmart(m): 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2021
I asked my C.R.S teacher this question, back in 2011, when I was still in secondary school and he could not give me a meaningful answer, all he could say was that, pig is a meat created by God to be useful to human being, and purposely for our consumption.
So, it's not a sin if we consume pork.

I have seen my Muslim friends always distancing their selves from eating pork, dog etc.

So in my quest to know what I can eat and I can't eat as a Christian I came across a Muslim that said it was written in the bible that we are forbidden from eating pig meat among other meats.

He made reference to Leviticus Chapter 11, from start to finish where I learnt a lot on the kind of meat we can eat and cannot eat.

Pig was mentioned in this book specifically verse 7 - 8 (see quote below)

Verse 7. The pig has evenly split hooves but does not chew the cud, so it is unclean.

Verse 8. You may not eat the meat of these animals or even touch their carcasses. They are ceremonially unclean for you.

Please, my brothers and sisters in Christ, Help Me Out Here...

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by mikdaf: 5:12pm On Jul 11, 2021
Please read below.

1Tim.4.1 - Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Tim.4.2 - Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Tim.4.3 - Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Tim.4.4 - For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Remember Jesus Christ has redeemed us from the curse of law through His blood.

6 Likes

Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by duro4chang(m): 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
It is not a sin .
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by donbachi(m): 5:23pm On Jul 11, 2021
Op, e be like u never go warri before...e get one woman wey been dey arrange am way back near polokor market..i dey from school go buy am.wen i been dey boarding school for delta career.
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 11, 2021
OP, the answer is very simple.

Of the three major Abrahamic religions(that is Judaism, Christianity and Islam), Christianity is the only one without dietary laws on what meat to eat(or not to eat) and that is where it differs greatly from Judaism and Islam.

Now, that is the major reason you find Christians indulging or eating pork, regardless of what those portions of the bible have to say about eating pork or whatever.

It is one thing for it to be included in the bible and it is another thing for it to be a strict aspect of the tenets of Christianity. Christianity does not abide by such Mosaic laws.

As far as I am concerned, mainstream Christianity is pretty much silent on the issue of pork unlike the other two religions that I mentioned earlier. Only one or two Christian sects abstain from pork as far as I know.

So, relax and enjoy your pork. If you wish.
There is no 'clean' or 'unclean' meat under Christianity. smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by 22jumpstreet: 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2021
It is one of the meat God forbade man to eat. But if you do this will be your portion..

Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 11, 2021
22jumpstreet:
It is one of the meat God forbade man to eat. But if you do this will be your portion..

Isn't more like on the health side??

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by 22jumpstreet: 6:04pm On Jul 11, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Isn't more like on the health side??

Yes...it is..
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by 22jumpstreet: 6:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
mikdaf:
Please read below.

1Tim.4.1 - Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Tim.4.2 - Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Tim.4.3 - Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Tim.4.4 - For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Remember Jesus Christ has redeemed us from the curse of law through His blood.

Who is Paul?

What power does he have to change God's laws?
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Jul 11, 2021
binoosmart:
I asked my C.R.S teacher this question, back in 2011, when I was still in secondary school and he could not give me a meaningful answer, all he could say was that, pig is a meat created by God to be useful to human being, and purposely for our consumption.

I have seen my Muslim friends always distancing their selves from eating pork, dog etc.

So in my quest to know what I can eat and I can't eat as a Christian I came across a Muslim that said it was written in the bible that we are forbidden from eating pig meat among other meats.

He made reference to Leviticus Chapter 11, from start to finish where I learnt a lot on the kind of meat we can eat and cannot eat.

Verse 7. The pig has evenly split hooves but does not chew the cud, so it is unclean.

Verse 8. You may not eat the meat of these animals or even touch their carcasses. They are ceremonially unclean for you.

Thanks in Advance.
No , it is not! Jesus Christ said it is not what you eat that defiles you or makes you sin - Matthew 15 vs 10 - 20 . You are free to eat anything you want and choose. He even said you will drink poison and it will not harm you - Mark 16 vs 17-18. undecided

FYI: Jesus Christ is God's Law in the Kingdom of God and anyone who believes in Him is expected to live by and obey His teachings and comandments/rules and not those of any other master. undecided
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by DonEd(m): 6:07pm On Jul 11, 2021
donbachi:
Op, e be like u never go warri before...e get one woman wey been dey arrange am way back near polokor market..i dey from school go buy am.wen i been dey boarding school for delta career.

Which year you finish from Delta Careers?
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by Ogamysamo: 6:18pm On Jul 11, 2021
that is for the jews and muslim that abound by the law of moses for salvation. as for christianity, the only forbidden meat i know is meat offer unto idols.

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by Ogamysamo: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2021
Kobojunkie:
No , it is not! Jesus Christ said it is not what you eat that defiles you or makes you sin - Matthew 15 vs 10 - 20 . You are free to eat anything you want and choose. He even said you will drink poison and it will not harm you - Mark 16 vs 17-18. undecided

undecided

NO GO DRINK POISON SAY JESUS TALK AM O, NA SOMETHING OF PERADVENTUALLY IF IT HAPPEN.........

soundin funny thou, but true enoughgrin
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Jul 11, 2021
Ogamysamo:

NO GO DRINK POISON SAY JESUS TALK AM O, NA SOMETHING OF PERADVENTUALLY IF IT HAPPEN.........

soundin funny thou, but true enoughgrin
Ofcourse not! But it is assuring to know that I can eat anything I like and come to no harm at all. grin
Re: Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? by peggywebbs(f): 11:27am On Jul 12, 2021
You see there is a different between laws from God and Rules from man. God's law given to man was the 10 commandments..those rules that were given to them in Leviticus were rules simply given for their well-being.

If you understand what Moses meant by unclean, you will see that it has nothing to do with being unclean to God. Eating pork that is not properly cooked or even certified today is harmful because it contains parasites that can make you sick. If you read on you will also see that he mentioned not eating winged flies, we know that that buzzing winged fly usually go on dump or dustbins and eating them can cause you to become ill.

After eating unhealthy food, your immune system will be left to battle the parasite, if it is not strong enough, then you will need medicine. Why they said you will be unclean until evening is simply that after eating unhealthy food or harmful food, you need to self isolate, wash yourself so that you don't give other people any transmittable sickness.

Sometimes when interpreting the bible, we should remember that this people lived like we do today. Now we are in a time where we have to wear face masks and told things to avoid. Remember the time of bird flu, some people avoided chicken like a plague.

And God brought clarification in his revelation to Peter. It is said everything God created is good and clean. So I think it's an issue of misinterpretation.

binoosmart:

Thanks in Advance.

(1) (Reply)

Anytime I Make Use Of Spiritual Way / Under Stress / I Was Told Tmc Are Hypocrites?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.