Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,630 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie (43828 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Djauro: 5:25pm On Jul 11, 2021
Popular Nigerian author, Chimamanda Adichie, recently shared her reasons for separating herself from Catholicism, her early church. She made this known in her piece titled ‘Dreaming as a single family’ published in the latest edition of the L’osservatore Romano weekly bulletin, released on Friday.

Giving a brief introduction to her early years in Catholic, Adichie wrote, “I was raised Catholic, on the campus of the University of Nigeria. We attended a love-filled church run by the Spiritan congregation. As a teenager, I wore my Catholic identity like a favorite dress, joyfully and reverently. I was a self-styled Catholic apologist, arguing passionately with the Protestant children in defense of such subjects as the Blessed Virgin Mary, tradition, and transubstantiation.”

The award-winning writer, who is popularly known for her feminist views, attributed her first sign of alienation to the treatment of females in the church.

“Years later, something changed. My pious passion withered. I remember my first moment of recoil from the church, [i]when a gentle and devout couple was banned from communion because their daughter had married an Anglican. My family's experience during my parents' funeral reaffirmed my reservations about Nigerian churches
“It felt to me not only uncharitable, but unnecessarily so, as did other subsequent incidents, such as poor people who were refused burials because they owed money to the church.[/i]

“This happened in my ancestral hometown, in a provincial parish far from the university campus where I grew up. But after the Spiritans left, an uncharitable chill also descended on my university church. On Sundays, women of all ages were often harassed, men barring their entry into the church unless they wrapped themselves in shawls to hide their shoulders and arms (which apparently would cause men in the church to sin.)

“Entire homilies were dedicated to the wiles and evils of women. How unsettling to sit through Mass feeling as though one, simply by being born female, had become inherently guilty of a crime. My alienation deepened; I had become a person in a place that my spirit had outgrown. Even if I still attended Mass from time to time, it brought me no meaning, and I have since come to believe that meaning is what makes life worthwhile.”

https://punchng.com/why-i-separated-myself-from-catholicism-chimamanda-adichie/

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by vibre: 5:40pm On Jul 11, 2021
Eyaa, babe come my church, we no dey do like that for my church.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by vibre: 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2021
Zaxbash1:
:FTC for the first time on my second account lalasticlala e pain u i don get new account and won ftc
See as you dey cast yourself, lala go nack you another one now.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Sugardick: 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2021
Currently reading Americanah.

I find people who shout FTC as babies and fools in real life hmmm just thinking out loud undecided

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Zaxbash1: 5:46pm On Jul 11, 2021
grin i open another account now grin [center][/center] grin
vibre:

See as you dey cast yourself, lala go nack you another one now.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Zaxbash1: 5:47pm On Jul 11, 2021
Oga mature dey mature dey go...e pain baba say u never get ftc... grin
Sugardick:
Currently reading Americanah.

I find people who shout FTC as babies and fools in real life hmmm just thinking out loud undecided

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Sugardick: 5:50pm On Jul 11, 2021
Zaxbash1:
Oga mature dey mature dey go...e pain baba say u never get ftc... grin
if e pain me make I kpain, I don get am so many times but I've never for once thought it means anything but it's getting irritating seeing guys scream FTC like there's some kind of award for it

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by xproducer: 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2021
Comparisons can be made (without personal judgment - GOD is the Judge of all) - to scribes and Pharisees from Jerusalem:

"Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying, “Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.” He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

'These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'
" - Matthew 15:1-10

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by jesusjnr2020(m): 6:24pm On Jul 11, 2021
You're right that sexism is still prevalent in the church and the woman is still being treated by church leaders and Christians as the cause of man's downfall despite that Jesus had redeemed her from the curse of her sin. So that's not in question.

However in your own case, it's a matter of the curse of knowledge and fame etc., which is pride but the end thereof is destruction.

I hope God humbles you and makes you go through things that would make you realize how far you've strayed from the Truth so you can retrace your footsteps.

God bless.

Modified:

The above comment is about the church in general and her relationship with God not the catholic church. Felt I needed to clarify this. Thanks.

96 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Zaxbash1: 8:06pm On Jul 11, 2021
grin why him talk...oga leave ours make we dey use ftc catch cruze i beg...
Sugardick:
if e pain me make I kpain, I don get am so many times but I've never for once thought it means anything but it's getting irritating seeing guys scream FTC like there's some kind of award for it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by GreaterFuture(m): 9:35pm On Jul 11, 2021
Ook. This is repeated news

5 tonnes, 7 tonnes, 10 tonnes and 20 tonne Full cover body trucks needed
Serious persons only Pls.
Only the specifics written above is available

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by affable4(m): 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
Religion should be personal

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by nanauju(f): 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
tongue
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by YorubaKinging: 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
The end is near

Catholicism is a fake religion

Since it gave birth to all Christianity practiced today,,

It's safe to say modern Christianity is a fake religion

Our Lord and savior knew this before it happened

The time comes when the true believers will worship GOD in truth and in spirit

Going to church doesn't guarantee you eternity

Believe in God, and obey his commandments

Verily I say unto you, Christianity will lead many into hell

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
Not our problem please, move on with whatever reasons you have. undecided

Religion has never been human problem but lack of wisdom. No wonder God allegedly told christians that "His People perish because they lack wisdom. His people ( the reader or whoever believes ) lack wisdom to self-feed, they are been spoon-fed.
What wisdom is wisdom, to discern what is right or wrong. I think I'm off point sef
Na one argument with my neighbor wey 2 knw lipsrsealed
Pardon me, Drabeey was Here

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Seniorwriter(m): 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
My favorite female writer...

@Seniorwriter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
I thought I will have something to say

But no! no!!!

Seun, can we have a button for deleting space booked

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
I really don't care grin

2 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Gamer999: 9:38pm On Jul 11, 2021
These are flimsy excuses.
But of a truth, the catholic church is not encouraging at all, contemporary Roman catholic priests have bastardised what it originally stands for, these days priest are womanizing, drinking alcohol, diverting church funds, having children secretly, giving preferential treatment to the rich and disregarding the poor may God help us.

God bless Sony interactive entertainment ;God bless the United States ;God bless Nigeria ;God bless Kogi state; God bless the good people of Okene

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BSsniffer: 9:38pm On Jul 11, 2021
It's not about Catholicism but a toxic Igbo culture that worships money and regards women as property.

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by adaxme(m): 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2021
Ebony milf what are u saying
??
Totally rubbish

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Primrose9ja: 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2021
Not just in the Catholic Church but some pentecostal churches too. The day I attended RCCG Youth Church, I thought I was in Christ Embassy, heard they are opening youth branches because they are loosing their youths to other Liberal churches.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by festacman(m): 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2021
If Chimmanda Adichie decides to be an atheist, she has the free will to go ahead and do that provided she loves her fellow human beings, obey the law and pay her tax. Chikena!

By the reality is the Church is an assemblage of imperfect CHILDREN who are striving to love and please their FATHER in appreciation of His love and providence. You need to understand this to rise above the limitations of fellow CHILDREN running the Church and focus on pleasing the FATHER. If you, an imperfect being, uses logic and seeks perfection from fellow imperfect beings, you will lose focus and then stop finding "meaning".

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by LienwaltAbel(m): 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
You're right that sexism is still prevalent in the church and the woman is still being treated by church leaders and Christians as the cause of man's downfall despite that Jesus had redeemed her from the curse of her sin. So that's not in question.

However in your own case, it's a matter of the curse of knowledge and fame etc., which is pride but the end thereof is destruction.

I hope God humbles you and makes you go through things that would make you realize how far you've strayed from the Truth so you can retrace your footsteps.

God bless.
undecidedundecided

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by LienwaltAbel(m): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2021
BSsniffer:
It's not about Catholicism but a toxic Igbo culture that worships money and regards women as property.
Yah. Exactly.

7 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by kingxsamz(m): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2021
Christians claim to be "one" and that they serve the same god, but the division between them is so much that it's considered an act of clownery when they say "their god is not a god of confusion".
MFM, Catholic, White garment, RCCG, Deeper life, Jehovah witness, Christ embassy etc... Don't agree with themselves on a lot of things.
And they read the same Bible.
Religion has and will always cause division, both to its adherents and the outsiders.
Funny how women are the ones who are more religious even though religion recognizes them as mere property for men.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Odoctor(m): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2021
So what is the name of your current church?

We need to know to properly weigh your virtue of sincerity, and as well distinguish political correctness from the Truth.

I say so because what you outlined has nothing to do with Catholicism, but individuals. The opinion and modus vivendi of your parish priest or Chaplin, or your parishioners, cannot be a valid premise to stereotype the oldest most organised organisation in the world.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by meobizy(f): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2021
Abeg, this woman always finds one thing or the other to complain about when trying to appease her white masters. She strikes me as the type to quickly birth babies with white men in order to wash her 'impurity' during slave times. For a writer, she forgets there were mentions of heroic females in the bible. Yes, attack the Christian institution because Caucasians as at 2021 do not find religion useful. "Hey, massa white man, sir. I'm the same as you — only sunburnt".

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by JayB11(m): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2021
Her personal opinion, though.

CATHOLIC I REMAIN
CATHOLIC TILL I DIE...

WE MOVE.......

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Saintkp(m): 9:43pm On Jul 11, 2021
Sometimes humans tend to use the fault in the system justify their inability to uphold certain value especially those ones that are spiritually binding.

21 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Two Realms... {Romance-thriller} / Heart Of A Broken Girl / SHADOWCORP (The End of Tyranny)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.